Fording rivers & creeks

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Fording rivers & creeks

Post by winton » 29 May 2018, 4:40 pm

I've got a stock standard diesel 4x4 ute with all terrain tyres and nothing else and no experience fording creeks and rivers.

I don't intend on going any deeper than 300-350mm in the water with the vehicle and am relying on the Rooftop maps I have that have fording locations marked on them.

I'm just wondering if its generally pretty safe to do so with the kit that I've got in the Victorian Eastern Ranges?

Of course, I'd get out and check to see the water height. I only intend on going during winter or hunting season in Victoria.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Fording rivers & creeks

Post by Daddybang » 29 May 2018, 5:04 pm

As long as there's no water getting into the air intake(no worries at the dephts ya mentioned). The bigger issue is current especially in a ute that's light in the arse end. If ya can't stand up comfortably(while stationary)maybe rethink the crossing. Also don't try to bash through that's a great way to end up with a fan in the radiator. And pick ya gear before ya enter. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by winton » 29 May 2018, 5:12 pm

Thanks Daddybang.

Yes, planning on going slow. Hopefully, the rooftop maps are good and accurate.

I don't have any recovery gear as yet, ie winch etc, so only going to be super cautious.

Do you mean make sure I have my gear handy before I cross? ie backpack etc?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 29 May 2018, 5:17 pm

Na mate. Pick the right gear on ya vehicle, generally second, so ya not trying to change gears half way across and try to keep the revs constant. Might be a good idea to try to acquire a turfing winch. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bigjobss » 29 May 2018, 5:18 pm

Plenty of good videos on youtube showing tips and tricks, its how I learnt the basics before trying it, stuff like correct speed and gear selection and not changing gears.

Take note of where you air intake is if you dont already know, often under the guard.

You might want to install diff breather extensions, you can get a kit on ebay or fittings from Pirtex etc, super easy job to do it yourself and will give you extra piece of mind if you plan on doing it regularly.
Bigjobss

Post by pete1 » 29 May 2018, 5:42 pm

As Daddybang said about picking your gear before you enter, is very important pertically in a manual. when you use the clutch the clutch will separate from the flywheel and water can get between the two and you will have a slipping clutch in middle of the creek meaning less power to the wheels which mean you may end up stuck.

Rooftop maps are very accurate and well done, but remember nothing wrong with double checking a river, as nobody really wants to get stuck.

Best of luck
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tracks » 30 May 2018, 8:04 am

Best advice I can give on river crossings apart from checking the depth, check what the bottom is like and the exit out, ya don't want to get stuck in slimy mud or some ones else's ruts half way across or trying to exit out, the next big one is watch the weather, I always plan on another track to get out as these creeks and rivers can turn into a raging torrent and rise well above a safe crossing with just a light rain or if it pours down you will definitely be stuck on the wrong side, all comes down to planning and being prepared for the worst.
tracks
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 30 May 2018, 11:38 am

The big mistake people make with water crossings is dive bombing into them at speed. When water is compressed it pushes back on you and I've felt it feel like a parachutes been popped when people do that. Plus they tear up stuff on the vehicle or end up with water in the intake.

Best thing I find to do is ease your way in like easing yourself into a cold outdoor pool. When wheels touch the bottom steady on the gas pedal all the way across. Especially if the bottom is more mud than stone once you get into the gas don't lift off, not even a tad. If you come out of the gas it will kill the momentum and you'll feel the vehicle settle.

If you don't have a lot of experience with water crossings I would start with easy ones and learn your way first. 300mm should be simple enough.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Bent Arrow » 30 May 2018, 12:24 pm

There is some good advice here for a newbie..... Bigjobs pointed out diff breathers. Whilst your at it, put breathers on your gear box and transfer case. Also find out where the breather for your fuel tank is. I have heard that on some 4x4 they are tucked into the chassis rails which might actually make it lower than the top of your diff
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Blackened » 30 May 2018, 12:42 pm

Daddybang wrote:Na mate. Pick the right gear on ya vehicle, generally second, so ya not trying to change gears half way across and try to keep the revs constant.

Low range second :thumbsup:
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 30 May 2018, 1:09 pm

Blackened wrote:
Daddybang wrote:Na mate. Pick the right gear on ya vehicle, generally second, so ya not trying to change gears half way across and try to keep the revs constant.

Low range second :thumbsup:

Yep I probably should have been specific. Always use low to give you better control over the revs in high ya can find the revs running away from ya. Also I know it's not applicable to the part of the country that the op asked about but if ya ever find yaself up here be VERY CAREFUL about walking into rivers and creeks to check things out!!. :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 30 May 2018, 1:21 pm

What ute exactly mate?

It would be helpful to know what it has in the way of low-range, diff locks etc.

I'll reserve specific advice for after getting an answer to the above, but 30cm of modestly flowing water should be a doddle in any proper 4WD with A/Ts :)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by winton » 30 May 2018, 5:02 pm

Thanks guys, Youtube is a good one.

A turfing winch would be a decent backup, but I reckon if I had to use it, it would wreck me for the whole week, maybe month.

I've got an auto Navara d40 diesel. would I be better off keeping it in low range 4x4 and in first gear? OK someone just wrote about 2nd. Thats good to know.
Is it a good idea to put car in reverse if you decide not to go any further?

I heard about diff breathers. Is it a necessity if I only plan on doing this a few times a month? Can my ute cope or am I gonna have trouble down the track.

I don't have a snorkel, so I'm limiting my fording to no more than 300-350mm. I probably wouldn't want to go a day after theres been some rain. Is it right to think that it doesn't take that much rain to swell a creek up?

@daddybang, there is no way I'm getting into rivers and creeks in the NT or QLD.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 30 May 2018, 6:04 pm

Ok I've never driven an auto 4by. The gear selection might be a bit different but I'm sure someone who has one will chime in otherwise all the basics are the same.
Yep reverse out don't try to turnaround in the water things can go arseup real quick.
Do you have the opportunity to get out for a drive with some one who has a little bit more experience before ya go out alone??.
Check ya diffs they may already have factory breathers that will be sufficient for the depths mentioned. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bigjobss » 30 May 2018, 7:19 pm

D40s have pretty average clearance but I am not familiar with breather location or height, have a look underneath and see if you think their height will be adequate.

If you do go deeper than planned without them all you have to do is change the oil when you get home, pretty easy job but the cost of replacement oil will be more than breather extensions.
Bigjobss

Post by Homer » 01 Jun 2018, 7:19 am

G'Day Fella's,

Winton, the best advice I can give you, is to walk thru any water crossing, prior to driving thru it.
Walk over in one wheel track and back in the other.
Yes you will end up with wet legs but this is better than dropping a wheel/vehicle into an unseen washed out rut, or hole!
A pair of those Croc like shoes, is good foot wear for this job.

Hope that helps

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Daddybang » 01 Jun 2018, 8:43 am

Homer wrote:G'Day Fella's,

Winton, the best advice I can give you, is to walk thru any water crossing, prior to driving thru it.

Hope that helps

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

Not quite ANY water crossing!!! :lol: :lol: :sarcasm: :drinks:

8975390-3x2-460x307.jpg
8975390-3x2-460x307.jpg (41.29 KiB) Viewed 7117 times
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by tracks » 01 Jun 2018, 10:41 am

No need to get your feet wet, carry a few heavy duty garbage bags in ya back pack and stick ya feet in them, just sling ya boots over ya shoulder, sling ya rifle and off ya go,,these days I also carry a pair of thigh height waders in my 4x4, they are very useful if you want to cross a shallow river to get to the other side to hunt, just leave em on the bank until you return, bugger having wet soggy boots gotta keep ya feet dry guys.
tracks
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 01 Jun 2018, 11:42 am

No matter your vehicle or experience, ALWAYS walk the crossing as many times as it takes to determine the footing, particularly if the water is murky.
No matter how good you and your vehicle may be, if there is a hole or obstruction hiding under the water you are in strife.
I learned this with my 1st Land Rover. Walked the crossing only once and missed a deep hole that I subsequently found with my right front wheel.
I was stuck there with the river running through the cab for nearly 2hrs before someone came along and dragged me out.
Thankfully the old Series 2A was as basic as they come and the only damage was to my ego.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Homer » 01 Jun 2018, 5:59 pm

Daddybang wrote:
Homer wrote:G'Day Fella's,

Hope that helps

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

Not quite ANY water crossing!!! :lol: :lol: :sarcasm: :drinks:

8975390-3x2-460x307.jpg

D'oh!
Sorry, I believe I need to clarify my previous advice a little..............
Also carry a 12 Gauge Seedgun for support and for defending you position, in know Croc country!

Thanks for the correction there Daddybang and thats a big Lizard LOL!

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by wanneroo » 02 Jun 2018, 12:33 am

For those of you that want to walk through creeks and streams without wet boots but want to protect your feet, do what us kayakers do and get a pair of water shoes. It looks like a sneaker but has a mesh top and drainage holes in the sole.

http://nymag.com/strategist/article/bes ... women.html
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by winton » 02 Jun 2018, 4:05 pm

Thanks guys
I'm sticking to the marked fording routes on the map. I know rooftop maps are generally good. (anyone have experience with Victorian topo maps?) Are most trouble often with unmarked fording or are marked fording on maps just as susceptible to trouble?

@Homer, great idea those Crocs. Already thinking about making it standard carry on my backpack.

I'd probably get a mob to install those piranha breather kits for my ute at a later date.

@tracks, Waders are another good idea. A bit heavy to carry though. I heard about an alosack waterproof zip log bag for rifle.

@Gaznazdiak, how deep did you expect the fording to be when you got stuck?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by tracks » 03 Jun 2018, 5:46 am

Yeah mate only carry waders in the 4x4 a favourite camp site I have is next to the Taponga river up Big River way, the track on the other side is totally rooted so I ford the river by foot and leave the waders there for my return, there are a couple of other small creeks I cross while hunting and that's where the garbage bags come into play, light to carry too, can't stand having wet bloody feet!
tracks
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 08 Jun 2018, 3:55 pm

winton wrote:would I be better off keeping it in low range 4x4 and in first gear? OK someone just wrote about 2nd. Thats good to know.

As a rule of thumb low-range second is almost always best.

You want to maintain a bit of momentum going in, and LR first is too slow. LR second makes for a good speed while still having plenty of torque.

You'd only want to use LR first if you were going over significant obstacles in the water, but it doesn't sound like that's on the cards for you.

winton wrote:Is it a good idea to put car in reverse if you decide not to go any further?

Ideally, you want to avoid changing gear while in water.

Determine your path, pick one gear for the job and complete the crossing in a single push.

The risk when changing gear mid crossing is water getting into flywheel/clutch, causing it to slip, and then you're going nowhere. You won't be able to get it to bite again while submerged and will need to be recovered and left to dry before you go anywhere. This isn't an everyday occurrence, but it can happen.

Obviously, common sense should prevail though. If the choice is between driving forward into a watery abyss or changing into reverse, then yeah, change into reverse :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 08 Jun 2018, 5:04 pm

Just to clarify what Lorgar said, that's all for deeper waters where your trans is started to get submerged.

If you're splashing around and the water level is below the chassis it's pretty fool proof.

Don't have a heart attack about getting stuck every time you go through a bit of water, that's all I'm saying :lol:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 08 Jun 2018, 10:16 pm

All creek crossings can be a little tricky at times that 300-350 can turn into 500- 800 quiet fast if the bottom of the creek is soft
so take all the good advice on here and keep your wits about you when crossing and when coming back to cross it again on the way home
recheck the creek to see that nothing has changed from the last crossing

I don't know much about the rise and fall of the creeks down there but up here you can have rain 25 miles away from you and the creek can
raise 1m easily just after you cross it and your return crossing can be quiet different
Member-Deleted

Post by Daddybang » 09 Jun 2018, 7:38 am

Bourt wrote:
If you're splashing around and the water level is below the chassis it's pretty fool proof.

Don't have a heart attack about getting stuck every time you go through a bit of water, that's all I'm saying :lol:

Until ya get bogged in about 10cm of water that hides a quick sand hole in the bottom of a Creek bed takin three hours to dig and winch out!!(my missus still won't let me forget about it) :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Jun 2018, 6:54 pm

winton wrote:I've got a stock standard diesel 4x4 ute with all terrain tyres and nothing else and no experience fording creeks and rivers.

I don't intend on going any deeper than 300-350mm in the water with the vehicle and am relying on the Rooftop maps I have that have fording locations marked on them.

I'm just wondering if its generally pretty safe to do so with the kit that I've got in the Victorian Eastern Ranges?

Of course, I'd get out and check to see the water height. I only intend on going during winter or hunting season in Victoria.

Apart from all the other good advice already posted by others, you need to be careful of the electrics on your vehicle, the older ones are not to bad, but later models with computerised systems don't handle getting submersed to well, if you happen to inadvertently drop into a hole, things can get costly, the best advice is, if you don't absolutely have to go there, don't.
Member-Deleted

Post by tracks » 12 Jun 2018, 6:20 am

"the best advice is, if you don't absolutely have to go there, don't" bloody good advice there guys take note.
tracks
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Antie » 12 Jun 2018, 11:26 am

tracks wrote:"the best advice is, if you don't absolutely have to go there, don't" bloody good advice there guys take note.

Where's the fun in that?

Live a little ;)
Antie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel