Bayonet importing

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Bayonet importing

Post by bladeracer » 31 May 2018, 12:56 pm

I ordered some repro bayonets a couple weeks ago from Atlanta Cutlery.
They just informed that they have received the package back from Customs.
I have had no messages from "Customs", and haven't confirmed yet that she means our Border Force or US Customs.
I know UPS have done this with firearm parts, sending them back without notifying customers, but I haven't heard of such a problem with unsharpened blades. I don't know yet if they were sent by UPS, I hope not though.

Even if there were import restrictions on bayonets, wouldn't Customs have to contact me before doing anything? And then they would simply destroy them as illegal, not return them to the sender?

I've been looking forward to shooting some rifles with and without bayonets just to see how it effects point of impact.
Bugger.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Bayonet importing

Post by Supaduke » 31 May 2018, 1:56 pm

I've ordered and received bayonets from the states with no issues. I hope this was an error and not the start of some new regime.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by marksman » 31 May 2018, 2:17 pm

Supaduke wrote:I've ordered and received bayonets from the states with no issues. I hope this was an error and not the start of some new regime.

+1 :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 31 May 2018, 4:47 pm

G'day bladeracer,
I import bayonets from the US on a monthly basis, latest one arrived today. The method of shipping can make a difference, Ebay Global, run by Pitney Bowes, is appalling, and have stopped (seize and destroy) reloading presses and once an EMPTY bayonet scabbard! UPS also have some issues regarding their interpretation, usually at a local level, of "Dangerous Items/Weaponry". I always ask shippers to use USPS International Expedited or Standard. Todays bayonet came via USPS Standard from New Mexico for US$23.50. As for Aussie Customs, there is no restriction at all for bayonets, many of mine are opened for inspection, and have never had an issue, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 31 May 2018, 6:26 pm

I have had so many issues importing stuff customs don't like I have received notice that my next unauthorized import will draw a 6 figure fine and time as Bubba's new bitch.
There are quite a few retailers in Oz that are able to import double edged or military knives, so there is little need to run the beaurocrapic gauntlet.

I wasn't aware until my run-ins that Australia not only was anal about things like non-metallic or double edged knives but was also a book banning nation.
My first offence was the Black Medicine series of books, my second was The Anarchist Cookbook, my third was 2 grivory fight training knives.
After the ruckus raised by the knives, my importing days are over.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 31 May 2018, 6:30 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:I have had so many issues importing stuff customs don't like I have received notice that my next unauthorized import will draw a 6 figure fine and time as Bubba's new bitch.
There are quite a few retailers in Oz that are able to import double edged or military knives, so there is little need to run the beaurocrapic gauntlet.

I wasn't aware until my run-ins that Australia not only was anal about things like non-metallic or double edged knives but was also a book banning nation.
My first offence was the Black Medicine series of books, my second was The Anarchist Cookbook, my third was 2 grivory fight training knives.

My difficulty is that I don't need or want collectible original bayonets, just a repro I can hang on the end of a rifle to do some shooting.
It's nice to be able to get several from a single supplier as well.
I don't know of anybody importing repro bayonets into Oz for resale.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 31 May 2018, 6:52 pm

G'day bladeracer,
Repro or original, if it is a bayonet designed to fit the end of a rifle, it is good to go. Single edge or double, no difference. I have also recently acquired a repro S98/05 for a re-enactor I know, came straight through, inspected by customs tag and all. Just specify USPS as the carrier and avoid "issues", Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 31 May 2018, 6:52 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:I have had so many issues importing stuff customs don't like I have received notice that my next unauthorized import will draw a 6 figure fine and time as Bubba's new bitch.

My difficulty is that I don't need or want collectible original bayonets, just a repro I can hang on the end of a rifle to do some shooting.
It's nice to be able to get several from a single supplier as well.
I don't know of anybody importing repro bayonets into Oz for resale.

Extac have a good range

https://www.extac.com.au/mtech-extreme-tactical-fighter
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 31 May 2018, 7:06 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day bladeracer,
Repro or original, if it is a bayonet designed to fit the end of a rifle, it is good to go. Single edge or double, no difference. I have also recently acquired a repro S98/05 for a re-enactor I know, came straight through, inspected by customs tag and all. Just specify USPS as the carrier and avoid "issues", Cheers.

Thanks No1Mk3, I have always stated a preference for USPS and avoidance of UPS with bike stuff, I slipped up this time perhaps. As I said, I'm not sure who they shipped it with yet.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 May 2018, 7:08 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:I don't know of anybody importing repro bayonets into Oz for resale.

Extac have a good range

https://www.extac.com.au/mtech-extreme-tactical-fighter[/quote]

I searched "bayonet" on their site and got zero hits.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jun 2018, 12:32 am

Tracking shows that it was shipped with FedEx.
Arrived in Oz on the 16th and got to Border Force on the 17th.
On the 18th is the note "Itemized breakdown of product composition required.", which makes no sense to me. If BF require more info about it they can simply open the box and itemise it themselves, just as we authorise them to do in their efforts to prevent illegal imports.
It then sat for five days before being sent back to the sender.
They are resending it today so hopefully it'll be in Oz again on the 4th or 5th.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 01 Jun 2018, 10:27 am

bladeracer wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:I don't know of anybody importing repro bayonets into Oz for resale.

Extac have a good range

I searched "bayonet" on their site and got zero hits.[/quote]

Sorry for the bum steer.
I haven't bought any bayonets from them, just double edged fighting knives and thought that if they carry those they may have had bayonets as well.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jun 2018, 11:15 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Extac have a good range

I searched "bayonet" on their site and got zero hits.

Sorry for the bum steer.
I haven't bought any bayonets from them, just double edged fighting knives and thought that if they carry those they may have had bayonets as well.[/quote]

No worries Gaz :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 01 Jun 2018, 12:05 pm

Were they double edged? Someone may have stuffed up and classed them under dagers not bayonet to attach to firearm. Daggers are on the restrictive list which require paperwork as been through that crap before.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jun 2018, 12:11 pm

Cryptic wrote:Were they double edged? Someone may have stuffed up and classed them under dagers not bayonet to attach to firearm. Daggers are on the restrictive list which require paperwork as been through that crap before.

No, single unsharpened edge. We're thinking it actually passed through Customs okay and back into the hands of FedEx.
Last edited by bladeracer on 13 Jun 2018, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 01 Jun 2018, 12:21 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Cryptic wrote:Were they double edged? Someone may have stuffed up and classed them under dagers not bayonet to attach to firearm. Daggers are on the restrictive list which require paperwork as been through that crap before.

No, single unsharpened edge. We're thinking it actually through Customs okay and back into the hands of FedEx.

Fedex can be rather useless. I had them send 3 unable to deliver emails which I said was crap as I was sitting 2m from my door and I was home all 3 days. Told them will provide cctv of their driver not even turning up and they suddenly rang and got an office staff to deliver after hours and said they have a dishonest driver.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jun 2018, 6:43 pm

After traveling 65,000 kilometers my bayonets have finally arrived, via USPS this time.
I've never seen a repro bayonet before but I'm very pleased with these, particularly the folding Carcano bayonet.
Attachments
20180613_180905b.jpg
20180613_180905b.jpg (258.05 KiB) Viewed 8645 times
20180613_180921b.jpg
20180613_180921b.jpg (303.3 KiB) Viewed 8645 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 13 Jun 2018, 8:46 pm

Nice looking repro bladeracer, hell of a lot cheaper than the originals. The people who actually make these are an approved supplier to military and police forces in their country, as well as USMC dress swords through Atlanta, so the quality should be good. Shouldn't affect the Carcano as they were originally intended not to be removed from the rifle during use, like the Nagant, but I find the P'07 really pulls down my aim. Enjoy!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jun 2018, 9:38 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Nice looking repro bladeracer, hell of a lot cheaper than the originals. The people who actually make these are an approved supplier to military and police forces in their country, as well as USMC dress swords through Atlanta, so the quality should be good. Shouldn't affect the Carcano as they were originally intended not to be removed from the rifle during use, like the Nagant, but I find the P'07 really pulls down my aim. Enjoy!

These are made in India, as is the repro US GI M1907 sling for the '03-A3.
I will have to get more of these. The Carcano folder I might have to sharpen as it just seems too useful to leave it dull.
US$293 delivered for the Carcano folder with steel scabbard, K98 with steel scabbard, '03-A3 10" cut-down bayonet and plastic GI scabbard, and the 1907 leather GI sling.

https://www.atlantacutlery.com/italian-wwii-beretta-38a-folding-bayonet
https://www.atlantacutlery.com/german-wwii-k-98-mauser-bayonet-with-scabbard
https://www.atlantacutlery.com/m1-bayonet-cut-off-spear-point-style
https://www.atlantacutlery.com/m7-scabbard-for-10-m1-bayonet
https://www.atlantacutlery.com/springfield-1907-pattern-sling-with-steel-hardware
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws