Just starting- recommendations on a 22 rifle

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Just starting- recommendations on a 22 rifle

Post by pappaszx9 » 01 Jun 2018, 12:48 pm

Hey guys, new to the forum and to gun ownership. I'm looking at a decent 22 rifle to get started on. Mainly target shooting and plinking.

I have set myself a budget of around $700 to spend on the rifle including scope. Although I'm willing to spend more if needed. I think I'd rather spend a bit more on a 308 or similar at a later stage.

Let me know what you think.
pappaszx9
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Just starting- recommendations on a 22 rifle

Post by scoobs » 01 Jun 2018, 2:52 pm

i was looking at spending about $600 on mine. ended up spending the extra and buying the lithgow la101. cost me $400 more, plus scope, but i do not regret it one bit. such a nice rifle to shoot
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 01 Jun 2018, 3:04 pm

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 01 Jun 2018, 6:25 pm

At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 01 Jun 2018, 6:33 pm

Lithgow LA101 however it’s more than your budget.
Should get a CZ455 for a little more than your budget mate.
They would be my two picks mate if you’re buying new. If you’re getting second hand then I’d go a BRNO Mod 2 or similar.
That’s just me mate, I have owned the abovementioned, I’m sure others will have differing opinions.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 01 Jun 2018, 7:27 pm

Im with Marksman (& JimToms latter suggestion)...go the brno model 2 or cz452.

But for a first rifle, there are any number of used .22lr's that you'll be happy with & will shoot to acceptable standards.

If you buy second hand, try to get some verification the rifle is ok first...ask its history etc...you can often tell if someone is trying to pull one over you.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Flyer » 01 Jun 2018, 8:04 pm

pappaszx9 wrote:I think I'd rather spend a bit more on a 308 or similar at a later stage.

I guarantee your .22 will be the rifle you shoot the most. Cheap ammo, no recoil, no hot barrels, accurate, and if you take up target shooting you'll probably be using it every other week.

Buy yourself a decent 22 and you'll never regret it. If money's tight, it doesn't have to be new. Same goes for the scope - you can buy cheap new or try to find something used in good nick that'll last years.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by SHV » 01 Jun 2018, 9:52 pm

Savage TR usually around 900 dollars now 599 if still available, bushnell AR 3-9x40 on sale for 130 dollars, plus rings maybe 40 dollars, a very decent set up for beginners
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 02 Jun 2018, 12:19 am

I'd get a 2nd hand cz 452 in your case, lovely rifle, i also own a lithgow la101 in .22 thats a ripper, but pricey though, best off going into a shop looking feeling working and shouldering rifles to see what you like, a cheap but new rifle you'll find the machining to be quite "agricultural" to put it nicely, i always come back to my .22 the big cals are awesome but you'll see what i mean later into your journey in firearms ownership
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2018, 1:31 pm

I guess the choice will depend on what you want to achieve, if you want to be a competitive target shooter (ie go in comps) then you will need to spend more than $600 but if it's just for a bit of practice/fun then you don't need to go to ridiculous prices to do that and infact some of the cheaper stuff will shoot fairly well too, again it all comes down to what you are wanting and willing to put up with (ie not as nice wood or finish to the stock and metal parts, good or average trigger that might need a bit of a tweak to make it better.

Any of the above will suit your needs well, savage also make a nice Varmint Barrel 22 and they shoot very nicely too and don't cost a huge amount (end of the day you can always upgrade to better if you feel the need) sometimes it better to go the mid range price and decide if you are happy with that or the other thing you might be better off doing is go to a range or if you have friends with 22's have a good go of theirs and see if anything stands out for you as being something you'd like to own and use.

I'd personally be heading to the local range and see if you can ask a few people to let you have a go of theirs (explain what your situation is) ie trying to decide on which 22 to buy - I'm sure you will find a few who are willing to let you have a go if their outfits.

Good luck with it all.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Jun 2018, 3:34 pm

I have seen the odd stainless Savage 22LR on abused guns for around $300. Great for starting out and good for in excess of 10,000 rounds of great practice.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 02 Jun 2018, 6:37 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I have seen the odd stainless Savage 22LR on abused guns for around $300. Great for starting out and good for in excess of 10,000 rounds of great practice.

All 22s will shoot a heck of a lot more than 10,000 rounds. If you stick to target ammo, I’ve heard in the realms of 1/4 of a million.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wombat » 02 Jun 2018, 7:05 pm

in2anity wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:I have seen the odd stainless Savage 22LR on abused guns for around $300. Great for starting out and good for in excess of 10,000 rounds of great practice.

All 22s will shoot a heck of a lot more than 10,000 rounds. If you stick to target ammo, I’ve heard in the realms of 1/4 of a million.

Yes. A .22 is more often damaged by poor cleaning practices or rust than being worn out. Shooting on a wet or obstructed bore, using multi piece steel rods and cleaning from the muzzle end is how to shorten their useful life.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 02 Jun 2018, 7:16 pm

And the way I see it, the only practical benefit of a SS barrel is ease of cleaning (which if you shoot a lot, is indeed a notable perk). Cleaning guns is boring and time consuming.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Jun 2018, 8:08 pm

Yes I have seen an Anschutz that had shot over 100,000 rounds, it was showing its age. I did say in excess of 10,000 which would be a lifetime of shooting for most folk.
Stainless is more resistant to rust, a good thing for novice shooters who often pull their rifle out of the safe to find rust all over their blued finish because they didn't realise that a dab of grease was required. Any downsides to a novice getting a stainless Savage?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 02 Jun 2018, 8:22 pm

Save some money and get a la101 love mine and its not fussy on ammo. Great Australian made rifle
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 02 Jun 2018, 8:24 pm

Nope - generally they're just not worth the few hundred extra dollars. OFC if you're shooting comp. different story, but then you'd buy an Annie amiright? And FWIW, I do agree with you the Savage is the pick of the bunch (for a $600 budget). The TR mkII is by definition more of a target rifle than a 452, a 455 or even a BRNO mod2; just look at the comb. Sure there are always exceptions to the rules; f***K me have I seen some BRNOs shoot, but its a risk going a lighter barrel if you're intent on groups (which one normally is when they first start shooting).
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Jun 2018, 8:45 pm

I am not saying that I am a fan of the Savage or its trigger but if I had $300 in my pocket and I wanted a 22 that is what I would get. Spend the rest of your budget on a scope.

I have seen the 452 used in 3P and they do OK, CZ has always been good value for money and generally shoot well. I am not sure a novice shooting cheap ammo will do any better with it. Spend $300 and get most of your money back when you sell it to upgrade.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Jun 2018, 9:32 pm

There is only one Savage on used guns for $300 and it is blued, pick yourself up a tub of grease from SuperCheap and apply liberally when storing it if you buy the Savage.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wombat » 02 Jun 2018, 10:07 pm

SCJ429 wrote:There is only one Savage on used guns for $300 and it is blued, pick yourself up a tub of grease from SuperCheap and apply liberally when storing it if you buy the Savage.

Do you store rifles in a 44 gallon drum full of salt water? The OP is a new shooter, please bear that in mind. A wipe over with an oily rag should be ok for blued guns in most parts of Australia.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Jun 2018, 10:22 pm

A lot of oils migrate away from where they were applied, grease won't .and a quick wipe over before you head out and it is ready to use. Have you never been caught out by humidity and found rust on your rifle Wombat?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2018, 10:44 pm

SCJ429 wrote:There is only one Savage on used guns for $300 and it is blued, pick yourself up a tub of grease from SuperCheap and apply liberally when storing it if you buy the Savage.

:unknown: Got a Blued Savage, no rust on it anywhere, only wipe it over with Lanox and put it in the safe. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Jun 2018, 10:51 pm

Lanox is a good option, I use grease. The end result is the same. As long as you are using something to prevent rust.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wombat » 02 Jun 2018, 10:57 pm

No never been caught out with rust on a blued rifle. But mine dont sit for too long without an airing and quick wipe over.
Even so my 1872/1900 conversion Martini Enfield sat in one place from the early 1950's until the 80's with just a 3 in 1 oil wipe and it was ok It was fine externally sitting from the 80's until five or so years ago with a fresh application of Singer sewing machine oil. The bore is stuffed though as it wasn't cleaned properly when it was shot in about 1982 or 3.
A lot has to do with where you store your guns, high humidity and big temperature fluctuations are the enemy - Sheds for example.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 02 Jun 2018, 11:18 pm

Some peoples sweat has a tendency to cause rust more than others on blued guns. If someone else has handled my guns I take extra care. I was wrong in my previous post, in the late 1970's I had rust appear on my Chinese air rifle after a mate had been plinking with me. Wherever he had touched it had his rusty fingerprints.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Jun 2018, 11:25 pm

A friend of mine inherited some rifles which were stored down the coast for years and the bore was choked with rust. A little grease would have saved them. One was a WW1 Lee Enfield, such a shame.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Zarrs » 04 Jun 2018, 1:14 am

I have a la101 and its a great rifle, on Saturday I had the chance of firing the new Rugger a bloke at the range had one and that is also a great rifle and a bit cheaper. I wouldn't take either hunting for me they are to heavy or to awkward t hunt with but for the range I love them.

A CZ for me is the perfect hunting rifle a its great at the range and nice and light to hunt with but thats just my view so I guess pick what you want to do and go to your local gun shop and get a feel of the rifles.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Nigel » 06 Jun 2018, 3:00 am

I am also in the market for a 22LR and have been considering my options for a few months. The CZ 455 and Lithgow LA101 are two at the top of my list.

You should be aware that there is a new rimfire rifle produced by Tikka, the T1X, due to be released soon.

http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t1x/t1x

I think these were originally scheduled for release in April but it has been delayed a couple of times. The last I heard was June but it keeps getting pushed back. This is a highly anticipated release. They have lots of pre-orders around the world and there is a lot of discussion of this rifle on various forums. The Australian pricing is around $900.

I have decided to wait and see what the initial reviews of the T1X are like. If they are as good as other Tikkas, I expect the T1X will go to the top of my list.
Nigel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 06 Jun 2018, 4:51 am

Nigel wrote:I am also in the market for a 22LR and have been considering my options for a few months. The CZ 455 and Lithgow LA101 are two at the top of my list.

You should be aware that there is a new rimfire rifle produced by Tikka, the T1X, due to be released soon.

http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t1x/t1x

I think these were originally scheduled for release in April but it has been delayed a couple of times. The last I heard was June but it keeps getting pushed back. This is a highly anticipated release. They have lots of pre-orders around the world and there is a lot of discussion of this rifle on various forums. The Australian pricing is around $900.

I have decided to wait and see what the initial reviews of the T1X are like. If they are as good as other Tikkas, I expect the T1X will go to the top of my list.

Yes it would be worth the wait to see what the new Tikka rimfire is like.
If you go down that path I’d be really interested to hear what you think.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 06 Jun 2018, 10:46 am

IMA bet there will be t1x's at the Sydney Shot Expo...
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles