Has anyone used Highland ZX Subsonic?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Has anyone used Highland ZX Subsonic?

Post by jennageit » 11 Dec 2014, 10:45 am

Hi guys,

I've just been given a brick of Highland ZX Super Quiet subsonic hollow points.

Has anyone used them?

If so, what did you think of them?

I haven't heard back from the range master yet, but was wondering how they would go in the old Anschutz I'm using.

By the way, I went shooting last night, and shot 189.5/200 and 195.7/200.

After 5 or 6 weeks off, my second week back and I'm almost back where I was. Very happy about that!

Jenna
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Has anyone used Highland ZX Subsonic?

Post by RDobber » 11 Dec 2014, 2:56 pm

No, but... I have used the centrefire 300 Win Mag AX 150gr SP by Highland.

Shot just as well a bigger names like Remington etc.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 11 Dec 2014, 3:58 pm

I have used the Highland subsonics and my .22 will shoot very well with these bullets on rabbits and foxes at close range ( Less than 50mtrs) and I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for cheap .22 subs. At just $5 for 50 bullets, even if they don't work in your rifle it won't be a big loss.
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hinky » 12 Dec 2014, 12:29 pm

jennageit wrote:By the way, I went shooting last night, and shot 189.5/200 and 195.7/200.

The ever elusive last few points :lol:
Mosin Nagant M1891
Sako Finnbear L61R 25-06
Browning T-Bolt .22LR Sporter
Browning BL22
Hinky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 12 Dec 2014, 1:03 pm

NukeBOMB88 wrote:I have used the Highland subsonics and my .22 will shoot very well with these bullets on rabbits and foxes at close range ( Less than 50mtrs)

You find subsonic 22lr effective on fox size critters?
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Hadoku » 12 Dec 2014, 2:58 pm

jennageit wrote:I've just been given a brick of Highland ZX Super Quiet subsonic hollow points.

At least if they don't pan out you got them for the right price

;)
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 12 Dec 2014, 3:08 pm

KWhorenet wrote:
NukeBOMB88 wrote:I have used the Highland subsonics and my .22 will shoot very well with these bullets on rabbits and foxes at close range ( Less than 50mtrs)

You find subsonic 22lr effective on fox size critters?

Yeah at close range ( headshot only ) it has dropped every fox I've shot with it on the spot
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 13 Dec 2014, 8:49 am

Hinky wrote:
jennageit wrote:By the way, I went shooting last night, and shot 189.5/200 and 195.7/200.

The ever elusive last few points :lol:

I was starting to wonder if those points actually exist! lol

I'm getting back on track. Last week the best I could manage was 184/200 after 6 weeks off, so I redeemed myself this week shooting a 195.

I'm going shooting tomorrow.

Re - the Highlands - perfect price if you ask me. The only concern is that they state on the box that they are incredibly accurate at 25m, I'm shooting 50m so should be interesting.

Also, hubby says I can sell the Mercedes Wagon (230TE) and put the money towards my rifle. I'm having a fantastic month so far, how cool is that?!
Last edited by jennageit on 14 Dec 2014, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by jeener » 13 Dec 2014, 8:38 pm

jennageit wrote:I was starting to wonder if those points actually exist! lol

Scribble out the /200 at the top and make it 196.

Problem solved :lol:
jeener
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 13 Dec 2014, 8:38 pm

Getting any hunting in yet Jenna?
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 14 Dec 2014, 7:05 pm

No hunting yet AusC.

I'd love to, but my back isn't yet stable enough.

Also, today I used the Highland's for the first time. I was asked to try a new Lithgow Crossover .22 today, and used them in that, as well as a 50yo Lithgow. At 20m they were very loud, and quite accurate (for me). Group shots turned in at about an inch over the 20m. Given I've never shot 20m bench before, I'm not sure if that's good or not. The other ammunition that we tried did much better, with the two favourites being Eley brand, and T22 Winchester, the SKR Match was a close third. Neither of the hollow points we used gave us good groupings though.

Anyway, take care everyone!

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Combat_Wombat » 14 Dec 2014, 7:46 pm

This is just me but I won't use sub sonics for hunting. I'm pretty confident with my accuracy at short range but after a couple of animals getting away with a slug in them after a compromised shot I've gone back to supersonic and never had a problem. This is only my experience so feel free to and all shots were taken under 40m.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Aussier » 15 Dec 2014, 3:12 pm

Makes sense CW.

I guess finding accurate super sonic ammo is a bit tougher... So people stick to the subs.

Not that you need 'target' accuracy for hunting but people are fussy like that...
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by jennageit » 22 Jan 2015, 7:55 pm

I've been entered in a comp for 20m bench rest target. On saturday I'm going back to the range to try this ammo out in the Anschutz over the 20m. I'm going to put some Eley Club through as well and see what does better, before I start shooting the comp cards.

I'll let you know how they go over 20m, maybe they'll be used only for that. They definitely don't make it well to the 50m targets lol

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cuvy » 22 Jan 2015, 8:15 pm

I like them. Seem to shoot well out of my Toz 78. I have been getting maybe 1" groups at 50m with them, but i'm the weak link there. They don't drop much at 50m compared to high or standard velocity 22 either, which is nice. Got some on special for $33 a brick, which was a pretty good deal, but they've sold out now.
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 23 Jan 2015, 12:36 pm

Aussier wrote:I guess finding accurate super sonic ammo is a bit tougher... So people stick to the subs.

RWS HV and Sellier & Bellot HV HPs where the only 2 I could get to perform.

Subs still did better though in my Annie.

Jenna, may well be different for your Anschutz but FYI, here's what shot well in mine.

Some to try anyway if you see them on a shelf while looking for something new.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Vati » 23 Jan 2015, 12:39 pm

jennageit wrote:The only concern is that they state on the box that they are incredibly accurate at 25m, I'm shooting 50m so should be interesting.

Easier to brag at short distances? :lol:
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harper » 25 Jan 2015, 8:21 pm

Vati wrote:Easier to brag at short distances? :lol:

Well, if you shoot 1/8 MOA at 10m is still technically true to say you shoot 1/8 MOA it even if you leave off the 10m bit in your brag :lol:
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by jennageit » 25 Jan 2015, 8:59 pm

Okay, so I went to the range on Saturday morning and finally had a go at shooting benchrest at 20m targets. Those buggers are small!

Anyway, the first card I used the Highland Subsonics, and scored about a 150 - 160/200. Seriously, it looked more like mice had been at it rather than me shooting at it!
The second card I changed to Eley Match rounds and shot 180.1/200.

I've only ever shot 2 cards at 20m so I think to get a true result, I'd have to put them against each other a few more times, but so far, I'm leaning well away from the Highland ZX Subsonics.

I doubt I'll use them again, now all I've got to do is figure out what to do with the 300-odd rounds I've still got!

Jenna

PS. When I can, i'll post up a picture of my score card.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cuvy » 25 Jan 2015, 9:22 pm

Save them for hunting - they are nice and quiet so great for situations where you don't want to irritate people with noise, and with the hollow point I think they are more effective than CCI quiets.
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by feedr » 26 Jan 2015, 11:48 am

jennageit wrote:I doubt I'll use them again, now all I've got to do is figure out what to do with the 300-odd rounds I've still got!

Lots of rabbits out there need shootin'
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308 Winchester.
feedr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 31 Jan 2015, 11:21 am

feedr wrote:
jennageit wrote:I doubt I'll use them again, now all I've got to do is figure out what to do with the 300-odd rounds I've still got!

Lots of rabbits out there need shootin'

No rabbits here, only Hares. Also, in the next 3 months I'll lose my spot to shoot when we move house :(

I'll find a use for them. Maybe when I get rid of these wheels, I'll go hunting with my mate, who invites me to go hunting with him about once a week or so lol
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by feedr » 01 Feb 2015, 8:28 am

Hares are a pest too though in Victoria?
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308 Winchester.
feedr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by meawls » 11 Jun 2018, 7:34 pm

Not sure if this thread is still active ... just bought a slab of 5000 of these. My research (I'm in Australia) seemed to suggest that they were made in Europe somewhere, and that the velocity was in the 800's of FPS. And that's pretty well it. So ... here's the reality: Made in the Phillipines. Headstamp is 100% Stirling (large stylised capital T) ... but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I have very fond memories of Stirling ammo as a youngster - 30 or 40 years ago. They were pretty cheap back then, and reasonably good performers. The individual 50 packs are identical with the old IMI packs - exactly as they were back then when IMI existed and were made in Australia, Right down to the little 25M target printed on the inside of the box. Wondering if IMI may have sold off their plant and gear to Stirling??

Anyway the individual cartridges are highly polished, and well lubricated to the point of it being easily visible. The 36GN projectile has a cavernous hollow point, and is sort of a rose gold colour. The round burns extremely clean, and the cases are ejected looking exactly as they were prior to firing. Discharge noise is louder than I would have thought for an ultra low velocity round. Perceived sensation was that it had an identical retort to a standard velocity round in my 20 inch barreled bolt rifle. We measured it against a CCI Quiet ultra low, Federal 714 standard velocity and Federal 745 HV's. I'll put them over the chronograph in the next few days and get back with the results.

Accuracy was quite good, albeit a little frustrating. It would often print with 2 in one hole, then the 3rd about 3/4" away .... at 30M. About max for ultra lows anyway. After some basic fine tuning I managed to fire off a box of 50 and didn't miss any empty 12Ga cases laying on the ground at ranges from 25-40M. GREAT. It produced an unexpectedly noticeable muzzle flash in the evening too. Similar, and occasionally a little more prominent than the HV's. Sexy - if you like muzzle flash.

Good value. Reliable after a brick of 500 so far. I'm gonna buy a 2nd slab.
meawls
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 12 Jun 2018, 6:33 pm

I've bought some of the super quiets and standard subsonic to try. I was surprise how well the Highland high velocity HP shot. Will try them in my Ruger Rimfire precision and CZ452 and post results
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 12 Jun 2018, 7:31 pm

feedr wrote:Hares are a pest too though in Victoria?

Yes, but I'd want to have stingers or something bigger if I was going after them.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jun 2018, 7:42 pm

Cooper wrote:I've bought some of the super quiets and standard subsonic to try. I was surprise how well the Highland high velocity HP shot. Will try them in my Ruger Rimfire precision and CZ452 and post results

I get good accuracy with the RX HP in my Rugers, 10rds around 2.5MoA out to 100m, but they lack consistency.
RX RN is not quite as good, but the RX Subsonic and HX Super Quiet, perform less well. RX Target is quite good but doesn't feed reliably in most of my rifles.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by meawls » 14 Jun 2018, 1:44 pm

As promised above, here are the results of velocity testing of this load earlier today - using a Caldwell chronograph:

Shots 1-5 in my CZ 452 long barrelled, respectively: 710FPS, 897, 899, 899, 891. Those last 4 are amazingly consistent, to the point that it's difficult to excuse the first!! That's a massive difference ... and may explain why it printed that inconsistent initial group. For comparison, I also shot a CCI Quiet - recording 650FPS ... which is about correct for this rifle and load.

A massive difference between the two ultra-low loads - an increase of roughly 40% over CCI Quiets ... and easily explains the perceived difference in sound that I spoke about in my first post above.

For further comparison, the ZX's recorded around the 925 FPS in my 20" Lithgow. Again, about correct given the shorter barrel length .... with 20" being usually acknowledged as the "sweet spot" for velocity in the LR loading.

Hope this info helps. :drinks:
meawls
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by meawls » 14 Jun 2018, 1:51 pm

Cooper wrote:I've bought some of the super quiets and standard subsonic to try. I was surprise how well the Highland high velocity HP shot. Will try them in my Ruger Rimfire precision and CZ452 and post results

Did you happen to notice if the headstamp on the HV's comprised the stylised "T", and is noted as being "made in the Philippines" mate?? Would be interesting to know if Highland's sourcing all this stuff from the same factory. :?:
meawls
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 14 Jun 2018, 2:03 pm

I tried the Highland SV and it was crap through my rifle.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics