Spotlight recommendation

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Spotlight recommendation

Post by Bent Arrow » 13 Jun 2018, 8:55 pm

Hi.

I haven't done much spotlighting for many years but my boy has taken an interest so I dug out my 2 light force spotlights from 25 odd years ago and put in new globes. .........I know my expectations have changed with the led lights that are around these days, and my eyes are older, but I seem to remember the lights being a hell of a lot brighter than they are.......

What's the go to spotlight these days?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Re: Spotlight recommendation

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Jun 2018, 9:51 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Hi.

I haven't done much spotlighting for many years but my boy has taken an interest so I dug out my 2 light force spotlights from 25 odd years ago and put in new globes. .........I know my expectations have changed with the led lights that are around these days, and my eyes are older, but I seem to remember the lights being a hell of a lot brighter than they are.......

What's the go to spotlight these days?

I still use the halogen lightforce and have upgraded to a HID one as well, the HID is good but takes a bit of power to start it up, not the best for use with a Quad for that reason.
Member-Deleted

Post by Hooper22 » 13 Jun 2018, 10:21 pm

Halogens are still the way to go. I tried hid, but it seems to make things move off a bit quicker. I've been meaning to try led
Hooper22
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Stix » 13 Jun 2018, 11:49 pm

Hi BA.
I have a new(ish-2.5 yrs old)) 240 LF halogen blitz & i think the same as you every time i use it..."im sure it was brighter last time".
& i was sure my original that is the same vintage as yours was a lot brighter back in its day too.

But i think its a mental thing--when i see my light i see a dull warm glow, but if i take someone out who hardy ever or never uses a spotlight they are amazed at how bright it is. Infact the last 2 non shooters ive had out have gasped at its brightness.

I also have a cheap handheld led that seems incredibly bright by itself, infact id swear its brighter than the blitz, but when compared side by side, the cheap led one is not in the same league.

Personally if your lights are halogen & in good nik Id try check yours against a modern one for brightness(im not sure of the size of yours as you havnt mentioned it), & if similar id suggest trying a diffetent type.
But keep in mind, as others have said hid lights do tend to scare critters away, & they are not much chop in fog-ive found even the slightest bit of moisture in the air & the led is like jumping around a paddock with Luke's lightsaber.

At the end of the day, i think at the present point that halogen is best overall--they work best in heavy moist air in winter, bunnies eyes are pink (hard to see bunny eyes at distance with hid), however some of the led technology coming out soon will be pretty exciting what with colour changes at the flick of a switch.

Also, im not sure if your wanting handheld or mounted so wont comment on that for now.

If you want to compare yours against a newish one but cant get hold of one PM me-ill let you try it out if im not using it at the time.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Jon79 » 13 Jun 2018, 11:54 pm

I've got both Lightforce and powabeam…. personally I like my powabeam more I think it throws a much better spot than the lightforce, I have the handle through the roof though so the extra weight isn't an issue, if I was going back to when I was younger and I was on the back freezing holding the spotlight i'd go the lightforce as its a hell of a lot lighter
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 14 Jun 2018, 7:08 pm

Thanks guys. I've got a 170 and a 240 head and two handpieces. I've got one mounted on a swivel and one for use just as a hand held unit. The 240 generates a larger (wider) beam of concentrated light but I'm not convinced it's brighter or reaches further. Back in the day I had a light mounted through the roof of my land cruiser but I'm not up to drilling holes in my current vehicle so I've made a bracket for the swivel unit to fit off a roof rack. Works OK but middle of the roof definitely gives better functionality. I'll have a look at a built in battery LED unit. I remember walking around with a 12v car battery mounted on a backpack frame when I was young and keen. Can't see that happening again.........
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Jun 2018, 9:38 am

I have an old Lightforce Spotlight but I never use it now I have a Finex led torch. I have used the torch to shoot out to 500 and the whole setup weighs around a kilo.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jun 2018, 9:51 am

SCJ429 wrote:I have an old Lightforce Spotlight but I never use it now I have a Finex led torch. I have used the torch to shoot out to 500 and the whole setup weighs around a kilo.

I have a Uniquefire torch that throws a beam like that I use it for spotlighting but the ute/quad mounted spotties still get a workout.
Member-Deleted

Post by Gaznazdiak » 16 Jun 2018, 12:21 pm

I have both of these and they are extraordinarily good for the price.
I have 2 of the gun mounted type they are so good.
https://www.zeusindustrial.com/Zeus%20A ... tlight.htm

https://www.zeusindustrial.com/Zeus%20Q5%20Tactical.htm
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 16 Jun 2018, 1:23 pm

I actually prefer the light the older light forces throw over the new LED styles. I find the older style provides much better contrast for my eyes,even though its not as bright. The newer style torches are horrible for me,I find it really difficult to find animals in the beam.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by NUTSACK » 18 Aug 2018, 6:43 pm

Keep it simple and get a halogen Powabeam in your choice of size. I'm a light/torch fanatic but for spotlighting i would stick with a good halogen especially at the distances most stuff is shot under at night.
NUTSACK
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment