Chances that we'll get our semi-auto .22's back?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Chances that we'll get our semi-auto .22's back?

Post by sungazer » 16 Jun 2018, 5:16 pm

For Primary Production you don't need to be over any limit. The 20 Grand threshold is if you have a second income that you would like to claim primary production losses against. Without the 20k you can continue to carry forward your primary production deductions/losses many years worth until your primary production income/turnover is above 20k at which time you can use it as offset against a second income.
You should be able to be a registered Primary Producer with just one cow. Anything you sell must be declared as income. I started a Stud farm 35 years ago with one cow that was pregnant and had a calf at foot. Back then it was much harder "apparently". I was able to do it with just my 1 cow and get a primary producer tax number which meant all goods were able to be bought without Sales Tax saved heaps off my first chainsaw :D . It was just a case of setting up like a business which in reality just meant setting up a business name and a bank account.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 16 Jun 2018, 5:29 pm

I agree with six, very well written mate.

I wish I had a few more acres... but 6acres would hardly justify getting a cat C firearm .... makes me sad , makes my wife happy.... so happy wife happy life.. or so some say.

Again I can't really see any reason apart from novelty that a semi auto be better... or is the issue more so that of why can't we have them, just cuz we should as we are law abiding firearm users. Lol

Sounds moderators, would on the other hand truly be a beneficial thing to any firearm owner.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jun 2018, 6:30 pm

Ziad wrote:I agree with six, very well written mate.

I wish I had a few more acres... but 6acres would hardly justify getting a cat C firearm .... makes me sad , makes my wife happy.... so happy wife happy life.. or so some say.

Again I can't really see any reason apart from novelty that a semi auto be better... or is the issue more so that of why can't we have them, just cuz we should as we are law abiding firearm users. Lol

Sounds moderators, would on the other hand truly be a beneficial thing to any firearm owner.

I have a mate that makes a good primary production living of 5 acres, he grows baby leaf and tomatoes hydroponically, but I think it would be hard for him justify the need for a semi auto to keep the birds out of the tunnel houses, the thing that irks me is we should not have to justify need, once we have a shooters license, it does not matter what type of firearm we have, and the statistics back that stance up.

The semi auto and other restrictions are not based on rationale, the main considerations of the major parties are to get as many votes as they can by trying to be seen to be tough on gun control, in the process they aim to make it as restrictive and hard as possible for people to legally possess a firearm.
Member-Deleted

Post by Daddybang » 16 Jun 2018, 7:35 pm

sungazer wrote:For Primary Production you don't need to be over any limit. The 20 Grand threshold is if you have a second income that you would like to claim primary production losses against. Without the 20k you can continue to carry forward your primary production deductions/losses many years worth until your primary production income/turnover is above 20k at which time you can use it as offset against a second income.
You should be able to be a registered Primary Producer with just one cow. Anything you sell must be declared as income. I started a Stud farm 35 years ago with one cow that was pregnant and had a calf at foot. Back then it was much harder "apparently". I was able to do it with just my 1 cow and get a primary producer tax number which meant all goods were able to be bought without Sales Tax saved heaps off my first chainsaw :D . It was just a case of setting up like a business which in reality just meant setting up a business name and a bank account.

I applied for an abn and primary producer about 18 months ago and was told because I was not selling my beef only using it for meat (basically so I don't have to waste money at the local coles)I am not eligible for primary production. I got the abn anyway as I occasionally subcontract doing tours. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2018, 8:46 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:Agree, they have the intelligence, what many are lacking inis ethics and morals.

Yes mate...its medical terms i believe are 'sociopath', &/or 'narcissism'...

Socio's & Narc's have both 'puppets' & 'victims'...

Look within shooting affiliations & you will see it--the bigger ones usually more so...!! (If you get my drift)...
Almost any "body" (workplace, affiliation/group etc) has them in rule as unfortunately that is where they shine...

Its a fine line between the 'issue ridden hungry to exercise power' type, & the 'highly intelligent narcissist power hungry' type...
The latter will seldom stand out as a negative option...
Last edited by Stix on 16 Jun 2018, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2018, 8:59 pm

Is it just my screen, or is there something a miss with the "quotes" on this thread...

So many quotes in other quotes, people are getting quoted for what others have said...

Even though i can JUST follow it, its very confusing while drinking whisky by the combustion heater...!!! :drinks:

Can mods engineer the system in such a way as to automatically drop off a quote (maybe the first in a string when quoted) so the 'mis quoting' doesnt happen...? :unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 16 Jun 2018, 9:05 pm

carefull you don't get to close to the heater with that whiskey stix, WOOMPA ! :lol: after finding that scary youtube post of that killer wabbit mate, i went and bought a 45-70 ! just to be sure...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 16 Jun 2018, 10:00 pm

To quote our not to quote is the question.

Actually my question was are semiauto better in anyway than a bolt rifle, my only experience was an ak47..... and um yeah it wasn't
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2018, 10:09 pm

Daddybang wrote:
sungazer wrote:For Primary Production you don't need to be over any limit. The 20 Grand threshold is if you have a second income that you would like to claim primary production losses against. Without the 20k you can continue to carry forward your primary production deductions/losses many years worth until your primary production income/turnover is above 20k at which time you can use it as offset against a second income.

I applied for an abn and primary producer about 18 months ago and was told because I was not selling my beef only using it for meat (basically so I don't have to waste money at the local coles)I am not eligible for primary production. I got the abn anyway as I occasionally subcontract doing tours. :drinks:

Sell some meat then mate...
Just make an invoice-pay a little tax (if any) if you get my drift...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jun 2018, 10:11 pm

bullzeye wrote:Na, I don’t have Cat C. I’m in the city and not a primary producer.

Thought there might be a few country guys on here with Cat C who could share their experiences and the licensing process.

After reading this: https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Primary ... ctivities/

If you are a cattle farmer, dairy farm or similar - you would obviously qualify as a primary producer.

We're farming cattle as a registered business, but we haven't applied to be Primary Producers. If we did I could probably qualify to own a rimfire semi-auto again. I just don't think it's worth doing for that purpose. I owned semi-auto rifles and pump shotguns as a kid, both are tons of fun, but nowadays I'm really enjoying the deeper engagement of the bolt-action rifles. I'm not against semi's at all though and wish modern kids could have as much fun as I did with them. For hunting, I consider semi-auto to be the most humane option simply because of an immediate follow up shot when required.

Down here, I could own a single semi-auto rimfire rifle, and a single pump shotgun, (and a single tranquilliser gun) on a Cat C licence. I could only use them on my own property on which they're licenced. I can't take them to an approved range, state forest, or a neighbouring property.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 16 Jun 2018, 10:14 pm

Ziad wrote:To quote our not to quote is the question.

Actually my question was are semiauto better in anyway than a bolt rifle, my only experience was an ak47..... and um yeah it wasn't

Semi auto comes into its own when ya have a mob.of animals (like pigs rabbits roos or brumbies) and fast follow up shots wre required. It can mean the difference between getting one or two and getting five or six before they scatter! :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2018, 10:18 pm

bigrich wrote:carefull you don't get to close to the heater with that whiskey stix, WOOMPA ! :lol: after finding that scary youtube post of that killer wabbit mate, i went and bought a 45-70 ! just to be sure...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

The 120 proof is in another room for good reason...!!

But speaking of that, i was talking to the farmer the other day about making a small fire 400 yds out in the paddock & shooting some butane canisters just infront of the fire at dusk...

He suggested we fill some of those silver bladders (from wine or water casks) with the good ol oxygen & acetylene & shoot them...

Now that will be a spectacular "carvvooompah" i rekon... :clap:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 16 Jun 2018, 10:32 pm

Stix wrote:
bigrich wrote:carefull you don't get to close to the heater with that whiskey stix, WOOMPA ! :lol: after finding that scary youtube post of that killer wabbit mate, i went and bought a 45-70 ! just to be sure...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

The 120 proof is in another room for good reason...!!

But speaking of that, i was talking to the farmer the other day about making a small fire 400 yds out in the paddock & shooting some butane canisters just infront of the fire at dusk...

He suggested we fill some of those silver bladders (from wine or water casks) with the good ol oxygen & acetylene & shoot them...

Now that will be a spectacular "carvvooompah" i rekon... :clap:

mmmm, wouldn't get close to a fire with plastic bag bladders filled with gas old mate. toss plastic water bottles with petrol near the fire and shoot them with something high velocity, like say , hmmm, 22-250 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: good grief, don't tell me you can buy fireworks in your state mate :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jun 2018, 10:34 pm

Daddybang wrote:Semi auto comes into its own when ya have a mob.of animals (like pigs rabbits roos or brumbies) and fast follow up shots wre required. It can mean the difference between getting one or two and getting five or six before they scatter! :drinks:

I saw a video some time back with a couple of Aussies or Kiwis hunting goats with an SKS. Wasn't pretty. They basically machine-gunned the mob, then went tracking down all the wounded ones. You target one animal and make sure it's dead before wounding more of them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2018, 11:52 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Daddybang wrote:Semi auto comes into its own when ya have a mob.of animals (like pigs rabbits roos or brumbies) and fast follow up shots wre required. It can mean the difference between getting one or two and getting five or six before they scatter! :drinks:

I saw a video some time back with a couple of Aussies or Kiwis hunting goats with an SKS. Wasn't pretty. They basically machine-gunned the mob, then went tracking down all the wounded ones. You target one animal and make sure it's dead before wounding more of them.

I cant comment on the video you've seen blade, but, i hate to say it, that your ideal is not how it works in the real world of a cull.

With bolt centrefires you ground as many as you can-as soon as one drops you're on to the next...then you put any wounded & grounded survivor's out of misery after the flurry.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jun 2018, 11:57 pm

Stix wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I saw a video some time back with a couple of Aussies or Kiwis hunting goats with an SKS. Wasn't pretty. They basically machine-gunned the mob, then went tracking down all the wounded ones. You target one animal and make sure it's dead before wounding more of them.

I cant comment on the video you've seen blade, but, i hate to say it, that your ideal is not how it works in the real world of a cull.

With bolt centrefires you ground as many as you can-as soon as one drops you're on to the next...then you put any wounded & grounded survivor's out of misery after the flurry.

Aimed shots at individual animals is fine. Simply doing a mag dump into a pack of animals is not humane culling by anybody's measure.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 17 Jun 2018, 12:24 am

bigrich wrote:
mmmm, wouldn't get close to a fire with plastic bag bladders filled with gas old mate. toss plastic water bottles with petrol near the fire and shoot them with something high velocity, like say , hmmm, 22-250 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: good grief, don't tell me you can buy fireworks in your state mate :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wont be doing anything silly mate...
& no cant buy fireeorks here mate...not legally anyway...
Nice little rocket would be pretty cool though...!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 17 Jun 2018, 8:12 am

bladeracer wrote:

Not sure how ya connect a bunch of obvious dicks to what I've said. :unknown:
Semi autos are far more efficient on large mobs of animals as ya can simply switch aim and fire rather than work an action and lose sight pic. At no time did I advocate machine gunning a mob or not ensuring an animal is dead before switching target. :drinks:
Should also add I wouldn't use an SKS to humanely kill anything that was moving or more than ten yards away. The one I owned pre pam was . notorious for "running away" on me!!! :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jun 2018, 8:48 am

Daddybang wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Not sure how ya connect a bunch of obvious dicks to what I've said. :unknown:
Semi autos are far more efficient on large mobs of animals as ya can simply switch aim and fire rather than work an action and lose sight pic. At no time did I advocate machine gunning a mob or not ensuring an animal is dead before switching target. :drinks:
Should also add I wouldn't use an SKS to humanely kill anything that was moving or more than ten yards away. The one I owned pre pam was . notorious for "running away" on me!!! :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:

I didn't connect that action with what you said, your comment merely reminded me of it. I've seen plenty of other videos of shooters taking down mobs of pigs properly, with well-aimed shots.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 17 Jun 2018, 8:59 am

:thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Jun 2018, 9:16 am

Daddybang wrote:
Ziad wrote:To quote our not to quote is the question.

Semi auto comes into its own when ya have a mob.of animals (like pigs rabbits roos or brumbies) and fast follow up shots wre required. It can mean the difference between getting one or two and getting five or six before they scatter! :drinks:

Yep spot on, :thumbsup: handy especially with dangerous game at close quarters like buffalo and pigs in heavy scrub, also much better for cleaning out a pig trap, not everyone want's a semi auto, but it would be nice for those that do to be able to access them, just because they have a shooters license.

I would like to see categories scrapped all together, there is no statistical proof that shows this would pose any extra threat to the public, provided the firearms are in the hands of licensed shooters.
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 17 Jun 2018, 10:10 am

bladeracer wrote:
Stix wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I saw a video some time back with a couple of Aussies or Kiwis hunting goats with an SKS. Wasn't pretty. They basically machine-gunned the mob, then went tracking down all the wounded ones. You target one animal and make sure it's dead before wounding more of them.

Aimed shots at individual animals is fine. Simply doing a mag dump into a pack of animals is not humane culling by anybody's measure.

:thumbsup:
Yea thats pretty abhorrent...!! :thumbsdown:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bullzeye » 17 Jun 2018, 3:10 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bullzeye wrote:Na, I don’t have Cat C. I’m in the city and not a primary producer.

Thought there might be a few country guys on here with Cat C who could share their experiences and the licensing process.

After reading this: https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Primary ... ctivities/

If you are a cattle farmer, dairy farm or similar - you would obviously qualify as a primary producer.

We're farming cattle as a registered business, but we haven't applied to be Primary Producers. If we did I could probably qualify to own a rimfire semi-auto again. I just don't think it's worth doing for that purpose. I owned semi-auto rifles and pump shotguns as a kid, both are tons of fun, but nowadays I'm really enjoying the deeper engagement of the bolt-action rifles. I'm not against semi's at all though and wish modern kids could have as much fun as I did with them. For hunting, I consider semi-auto to be the most humane option simply because of an immediate follow up shot when required.

Down here, I could own a single semi-auto rimfire rifle, and a single pump shotgun, (and a single tranquilliser gun) on a Cat C licence. I could only use them on my own property on which they're licenced. I can't take them to an approved range, state forest, or a neighbouring property.

Do you mind if I ask how big your property is?

It seems you could get access to this hard to justify Cat C license category, which many of us never could.

I’d do it if I was you. The fees wouldn’t be much. Once you are a ‘primary producer’ there are no other requirements you need to hold this license.

Cat A/B is nothing special. Us city people can get this category from a hunting club by attending 2 ‘meets’ per year to justify the license.

I’d say you’re better off owning 1 rimfire semi-auto than none.

If it’s just a little bit more paperwork and waiting - and a couple bucks - why not?

Plus when you walk into the gun store to buy ammo and they see Cat A, B and C you look extra cool ;)

Maybe if more people had these licenses and firearms with no damage being caused - more of us could get them!
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 17 Jun 2018, 3:53 pm

It's unfortunately not quite as easy as "get ya primary producers-get ya cat c" the biggest hurdle is proving that ya actually require it and can't fill that requirement with cat a/b firearms. Not saying its impossible but they've made it as difficult as they could!!! :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 17 Jun 2018, 5:13 pm

Bullzeye are you sure you have attendance and or competition requirements for cat a/b? What is the genuine reason you have used?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bullzeye » 17 Jun 2018, 6:52 pm

sungazer wrote:Bullzeye are you sure you have attendance and or competition requirements for cat a/b? What is the genuine reason you have used?

Genuine reason is Recreational Hunting & Vermin Control.

You only need to attend 2 club events per year - https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... embers.pdf

This could be just going to 2 club safety training meets.

Cat A/B for hunting has very little requirements as you can see.

Cat C however requires that you are in the industry as a primary producer and much more special in my eyes.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bullzeye » 17 Jun 2018, 6:55 pm

Daddybang wrote:It's unfortunately not quite as easy as "get ya primary producers-get ya cat c" the biggest hurdle is proving that ya actually require it and can't fill that requirement with cat a/b firearms. Not saying its impossible but they've made it as difficult as they could!!! :lol: :drinks:

Well if you are a genuine primary producer, don’t see why Cat C should he so hard.

Has anyone here got a Cat C??

Surely some must.. :unknown:
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 17 Jun 2018, 7:43 pm

So you used a club as a supporting reason for the hunting? If you had a property or a friend with a property you would not need to attend or be a member of a club. Things are a little more relaxed in Vic re using hunting as a genuine reason.
I am a primary producer and could possibly get a semi auto other than not really needing one. I could probably justify a semi auto centre fire more than a rimfire as I have more issues with large bunnies than small ones. Also deer are a bit of a good problem to have why cull them all quickly when you can keep the fridge full. I think you really need to be able to show really good cause why you need one. To have a gun that I could only shoot on my property and not share the fun with like minded friends is a bit lonely. I would be over it pretty quickly. The 22LR semi to me is a fun plinking gun to be used with others shooting gallery type reactive targets.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 17 Jun 2018, 8:20 pm

Thanks for ther replies guys...as I thought, it's like a desire not a need. Maybe 0.1% shooters would really use it apart from the novelty factor. My wish would be some range somewhere hey a permit to get semi auto... sp ppl can shoot it a few time, or maybe I'd they key me into usa I might try it there.

While I agree a good law abiding licensed shooter will be good, but objectively thinking about it, the possibility is larger for more damage if it went into wrong hands.

Rather than dreaming of semi auto we all should send wish for sound moderators. But wishing and sitting on the keyboard doesn't make anything happen
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 17 Jun 2018, 8:34 pm

if I were to choose it would be semi auto over sound moderator any day of the week. I really dont see a benefit of the Suppressors imho they are not great for the rifle or for accuracy. Much more fun to be had with the semi.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

PreviousNext

Return to Victorian gun laws