Sheffield Rifle Club, Tasmania

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Sheffield Rifle Club, Tasmania

Post by Bent Arrow » 26 Apr 2018, 8:31 pm

Gwion wrote:Do it, mate. Just drop me a PM. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I'll do that for sure
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Heckler303 » 27 Apr 2018, 7:14 pm

Damn, that looked like a lot of fun! Glad to see more milsurp shooters coming in, I'd really like to have attended it myself but , alas.

I'd be interested in seeing the guy shooting his Jungle Carbine, never really tried pushing them beyond 100m before. I still bet the Pattern 1914 would flog all of them but, ah well :)
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Diesel » 30 Apr 2018, 10:30 am

Gwion wrote:Would be good to see you there, Diesel. Too bad you can't shoot on the day but maybe some other time.

Cheers

Apologies, came close, the daughter played the Last Post at the Dawn Service, then absolutely nailed it on the bugle at the 11am service but things went a bit downhill after that, the wife suffers from kidney stones and it wasn't pleasant. You can't fault the LGH though. Next year the daughter is either going to uni or doing a army gap year so I will be free. I WILL start turning up soon.

For something different, and staying on track as it is the centenary of ww1, I even had a 1917 Steyr with 200 1938 Wehrmacht surplus chicken stamped rounds ready to go if anyone wanted a try(sounds like they did have a go at 200) and an original Erfurt Kar98.

Really good to see you had a good crowd and everyone enjoyed themselves. That is what it is all about.
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Diesel » 30 Apr 2018, 10:48 am

Gwion wrote:Finished upgrading the 200yd mound for Wednesday's Anzac Shoot.
After decades of neglect it has previouly been merely an uneven hump conered in cow pats and rabbit holes. Still a bit of work to do but we're quite happy to have it at this stage before the Anzac Shoot. Fenced, new gate, levelled and dressed with a good cover of road base to reduce the need for mowing and weeding...
:thumbsup:

20180422_133800.jpg

The 200yard mound has a bit of history, it was done up properly in 2005?by a keen member to support military shoots and four steel supports were sunk for removable posts(a six inch treated pine pole), it was fenced and looked after by him for a few years then when he left its use was actively discouraged by management and it sunk into disrepair. We resurrected it again in 2011, cleaned it all up and fixed the fencing and gate. It was used a few times(there are quite a few of my missing .303 cases lyiung in the grass around there I am sure) then those of us who actively supported military shoots left and as far as I knows it wasn't looked after again until the new management took over. Nice job

When facilities aren't used they rapidly deteriorate, it is a shame.
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Diesel » 30 Apr 2018, 10:52 am

Heckler303 wrote:Damn, that looked like a lot of fun! Glad to see more milsurp shooters coming in, I'd really like to have attended it myself but , alas.

I'd be interested in seeing the guy shooting his Jungle Carbine, never really tried pushing them beyond 100m before. I still bet the Pattern 1914 would flog all of them but, ah well :)

They go well, I shot mine off the 500 yard mound there twice with good results.

As far as the P14 flogging all the others? Well we will never know will we?
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Gwion » 30 Apr 2018, 3:00 pm

Diesel wrote:
Gwion wrote:Finished upgrading the 200yd mound for Wednesday's Anzac Shoot.
After decades of neglect it has previouly been merely an uneven hump conered in cow pats and rabbit holes. Still a bit of work to do but we're quite happy to have it at this stage before the Anzac Shoot. Fenced, new gate, levelled and dressed with a good cover of road base to reduce the need for mowing and weeding...
:thumbsup:

20180422_133800.jpg

The 200yard mound has a bit of history, it was done up properly in 2005?by a keen member to support military shoots and four steel supports were sunk for removable posts(a six inch treated pine pole), it was fenced and looked after by him for a few years then when he left its use was actively discouraged by management and it sunk into disrepair. We resurrected it again in 2011, cleaned it all up and fixed the fencing and gate. It was used a few times(there are quite a few of my missing .303 cases lyiung in the grass around there I am sure) then those of us who actively supported military shoots left and as far as I knows it wasn't looked after again until the new management took over. Nice job

When facilities aren't used they rapidly deteriorate, it is a shame.

Thanks for the background, Deisel. The 200 had almost no fence left and was degraded by cattle. The steel sleeves for posts are still there but only two that we found. Still a bit of work to do on it but it is a good start.

Look forward to seeing you down the range soon.
Cheers.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 30 Apr 2018, 4:00 pm

sungazer wrote:Hey looks like you had a good time. We have a similar day that has been in the past a 303 Invitational that we may open up a bit more to include other service rifles this year and included more people or at least more invites. Really just a bit more organized and not leave it to the last minute.
One of our members is a true 303 and old military gun nut in the nicest possible way. He had made up to the original sizes and colours the targets used of the period. The Turkish hats.
Austac don't let me forget your invite and anyone else with a 303 in Vic let me know the event will probably be in July. Date yet to be confirmed as the official shooting season is just starting and dates are still being moved around pennant and other competition dates.
IMG_6006_s.JPG

I like those targets, SG.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 05 Jun 2018, 4:12 pm

A small contingent of 5 shooters and a few spectators arrived on Sunday, May 20th to a beautifully still and fine Autumn day.

The annual club shoot off was shot over 3 ranges of 300yd, 500yd & 600yd. We shot a typical detail at each round of 10 scoring shots plus 2 sighters.

Conditions were perfect and this was reflected in the top scoring shooters. It was neck and neck between 1st & 2nd with both place getters managing a Possible of 60/60 at either 300yd or 500yd.

In the end, the defending One Day Champion couldn’t quite pip the challenging Secretary, who has spent this season tuning in both his rifle and his shooting; and it showed. On top of his Possible at the 300yd range, the Secretary also managed a pair of 59’s at 500yd & 600yd, making him very hard to beat.

A little way behind it was also tightly fought out for 3rd with T. Lee pipping the Treasurer while 'yours truly' was well and truly asleep on the mound way back in 5th place.

As the conditions were as close to perfect as you will ever get, there is not a lot more to say, except that we all had a great time and there were some smiling faces with medals around their necks.

A big congratulations to all on the winners’ dias and especially to the two who managed to shoot a “Possible”!

We will present the inscribed medals and the Perpetual Trophy at the AGM/Presentation Event to be held in July.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 25 Jun 2018, 8:14 am

Hi all.
We are having a winter lay off at the range due to wwt and boggy conditions. We will see how things are in August.
We hope to raise funds to do track improvements so that we can shoot through next winter.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 25 Jun 2018, 9:17 am

Need to migrate to the main land we lay off over summer to hot for TR shooters in the leather shooting jackets and too hot even for me by the time you shoot, check score and score chat and F around your near on sun stroked.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gwion » 26 Jun 2018, 2:06 pm

sungazer wrote:Need to migrate to the main land we lay off over summer to hot for TR shooters in the leather shooting jackets and too hot even for me by the time you shoot, check score and score chat and F around your near on sun stroked.

You're welcome to come shoot in summer if we can come shoot up your way in winter! :LOL: :drinks: :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 09 Oct 2018, 10:10 am

Shooting has resumed at Sheffield for the season.
Woohoo... bang bang!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Diesel » 21 Oct 2021, 8:19 pm

Has the Sheffield rifle club disappeared?
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by TasDan22 » 08 Apr 2023, 1:52 pm

I’m new to the sport and live in Westbury. I’m looking for a club where I can learn good technique and improve my shooting. I hunt rabbits on our property and use a .22 with scope and 5 round mag, but am finding it hard to find a suitable club. Sounds like the Sheffield Rifle Club is what I’ve been looking for. Can I get in touch to find out more please?

Regards,
Dan
TasDan22
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Previous

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges