SCOPE on 6.5CM TAC rifle

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

SCOPE on 6.5CM TAC rifle

Post by selaga » 26 Jun 2018, 1:04 pm

Greetings to all,

Looking for advice and feedback on following two scopes, to be used on a 6,5CM TAC type rifle, for long rang target shooting (80%)and occasional long range hunting (20%), budget $2000 for scope only.

Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21X50 H59

Burris XTR II 4-20X50 H59

Cheers,

Sel
Last edited by selaga on 26 Jun 2018, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selaga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: SCOPE on 6.5CM TAC rifle

Post by sungazer » 26 Jun 2018, 2:16 pm

Bushnell 6-25 with G2 reticle on sale now at magnum for $900 or go the XRS or the 8*32 -56 BR Nightforce
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by selaga » 26 Jun 2018, 3:12 pm

Sungazer,

That is a good price, however set on the H59 reticle.
selaga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 26 Jun 2018, 3:52 pm

This is the best scope you will find for half the cost of your budget. You wont find a scope for $2000 as good as this. https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=128715
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by brett1868 » 26 Jun 2018, 4:56 pm

I use a S&B PMII 12-50x50 on the Hipster 6.5, awesome scope if you have the budget but given the 2k limit I'd be looking at Vortex. The Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50 Long Range XLR (MOA) retails around the $1750 which leaves a bit left in the budget for some quality rings. For distance you don't really need massive magnification but what I've found to be more critical is clarity and click values. You also need to decide if you want MOA, MIL or CM adjustments...Also, can you define long range cause that's anything from 100m out to 1600m before getting into ELR numbers.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Smiley » 26 Jun 2018, 6:22 pm

I have the DMR2 G3 on my 6.5 and it's a good scope for the money, but a bit large for hunting.
There's a couple of blokes in my club with the Burris XTR2 and they are happy with them, but I have heard that you either love them or hate them.
Otherwise, both are a good choice.
Smiley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by selaga » 26 Jun 2018, 6:48 pm

Brett1868,

Looking at 500-100 m range. Don't have a preference for MOA or Mrad to be honest as I don't have enough experience to make a clear judgement. I based my two choices on what the reviewers of my new rifle have used and what is available locally at my price point of $2K +/- few hundred + rings. The limiting factor by a large margin will be me and not the kit.

I do like the H59 reticle though as it gives me the "grid" which I think I would find easier to reference....not sure how much it would interfere with sight picture ?

S&B units are excellent, but twice my allocated budget.
selaga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by selaga » 26 Jun 2018, 6:51 pm

sungazer wrote:This is the best scope you will find for half the cost of your budget. You wont find a scope for $2000 as good as this. https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=128715

Looking at a new scope with warranty and support.
selaga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Smiley » 26 Jun 2018, 6:52 pm

selaga wrote:Brett1868,

Looking at 500-100 m range. Don't have a preference for MOA or Mrad to be honest as I don't have enough experience to make a clear judgement. I based my two choices on what the reviewers of my new rifle have used and what is available locally at my price point of $2K +/- few hundred + rings. The limiting factor by a large margin will be me and not the kit.

I do like the H59 reticle though as it gives me the "grid" which I think I would find easier to reference....not sure how much it would interfere with sight picture ?

S&B units are excellent, but twice my allocated budget.

Personally I think the Horus reticles are like looking through a gauze door. But that's just me. :drinks:
Smiley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 26 Jun 2018, 7:59 pm

Shooting out to a kay, so mid range distance....a lot more then glass comes into play at that distance. Maybe delay the scop purchase a bit and save up for the NF NXS8-32x56 MOAR-T .25 MOA. They are a very nice scope and can be had for around the $2450 mark which is a little over budget. Pair it with a set of 6 screw extreme duty rings and you're in business. Do you reload at all? If you're looking to hit 1km targets with a degree of accuracy then a lot of gains can be had with precision reloading.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 26 Jun 2018, 9:22 pm

That Nightforce on used guns for $1000 they have Lifetime warranty that they are good for. other than obvious big drops and other physical damage like crushed. I agree with brett I think you would find that reticle really crowded a simple graduated scale both horizontal and vertical is all that is needed. your brain fills in the rest. I have both FFP and SFP and the SFP can be set to the magnification that it is calibrated to if your anal. but again your brain can pretty easily work out the holdover needed from other objects around it. The FFP will always be to scale you still have to know the ballistics of your load and do all the math then the holdovers then move to the appropriate hash mark (to many and it complicates) That all takes time if you have all that time you may as well just dial in the corrections. This is where tracking capability becomes important NF are you can take it to the bank or take it back. I have no interest in the one for sale I also have a Bushnell Tac E 6-25-50 FFP and another like it. With the price these NF are now selling for I would buy them in a heart beat over what I paid more for for the Bushnell
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 27 Jun 2018, 6:41 pm

Go the Nightforce Benchrest 32x, if you don't like it, which I doubt, you can sell it and get your money back. I have a 42x Benchrest on a hunting rifle, it is big but does a great job. More magnification than you probably need for varmiting but it is there if you need it. Go to a long range comp and see how many guys use Nightforce. Not a single Bushnell or Burris, there is your feedback.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by selaga » 27 Jun 2018, 7:28 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Go the Nightforce Benchrest 32x, if you don't like it, which I doubt, you can sell it and get your money back. I have a 42x Benchrest on a hunting rifle, it is big but does a great job. More magnification than you probably need for varmiting but it is there if you need it. Go to a long range comp and see how many guys use Nightforce. Not a single Bushnell or Burris, there is your feedback.

Thanks for feedback, will do.No point reinventing the wheel.
selaga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 27 Jun 2018, 10:31 pm

Try using other people's scope to see what you like, I used a friends S&B FFP scope. It convinced me I did not need it and was better served with my NF. Most guys at a comp are happy for you to look through their scope, that will at least give you an idea of what you get for your money. Not saying the two scopes you mentioned are no good, just that most competition shooters have voted with their feet.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Rowan » 28 Jun 2018, 12:03 am

Vortex Razor Gen II. Bit more then your options but many PRS champions are using them in the States. But if I was to choose between the two, Bushnell
Rowan
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by selaga » 11 Dec 2018, 5:32 pm

Thought I would post a quick update.

Narrowed it down to following units:

* S&B PMII P4FL 5X25-56 Excellent clarity, however hard to see the reticle in bright daylight and warranty is only 2 years
* Kahles K624i - Excellent clarity, ambi parallax
* Steiner T5Xi - almost as good optically, excellent value about a grand cheaper than others
* NightForce ATACR F1 Mil-R - very clear optics, nice illumination, lifetime warranty and excellent range of elevation adjustment.

After looking at all of them, I decided on the Night Force unit, it had the perfect sweet spot between cost, quality, features and warranty. PM II came close second.

Cheers,

Sel
selaga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Dec 2018, 7:35 pm

A little over your original budget, it often happens that way for me too. Have you ordered it yet?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by selaga » 11 Dec 2018, 7:55 pm

So true....almost double initial budget......Ordered it today, should arrive in next couple of days....
selaga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics