straight pull vs lever action

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

straight pull vs lever action

Post by Jon79 » 01 Jul 2018, 7:43 pm

will be buying a shotgun to add to the collection shortly......compared to my rifles it will get limited use but just wondering on peoples thoughts on straight pull vs lever actions?

there seems to be a growing following on the straight pulls on here but I have doubts about how fast you can get the 2nd & 3rd follow up shots away compared to the lever actions, quality isn't really a factor as it will be a knock around gun maybe to knock over a few foxes out of the blackberries or the odd pig out west

the lever actions have issues it seems with stiff action (adler) or ejection probs or weak firing pins (pardus)...so looking for thoughts to tip me one way or the other, only thing I am set on is that it has a 28 inch barrel (must be the old clay target shooter in me...the 20 inch barrels I reckon would have too much spread if you were stretching a shot :unknown: )
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: straight pull vs lever action

Post by Thom318 » 01 Jul 2018, 8:24 pm

Im definately no expert, but I wouldn't rule out the shorter barrel, they both spread after the choke, so really only has 8" more travel to expand in. I've got an Akkar with 20" and 30", they pretty much pattern the same but the 20" is a lot easier to maneuver in tight spaces
Thom318
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by ponkychonk » 04 Jul 2018, 12:52 am

Straight pull are better, plus it seems thats where the industry is going.

That being said, the issue with the Turkish lever actions isn't build quality but quality control: for every 5 adlers/pardus's, one is perfect, one is great, one is average, and two are s**t. Get a good one and you have got quite a nice and fun gun
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by votty1500 » 11 Jul 2018, 7:03 pm

Heard some bad reports about Pardus straight pull....seems most go back for modifications. The levers seem to be a bad design (although I havnt tried one) because the circular movement of lever isn't well suited to the job....from the reviews ive watched. Ill be getting a straight pull in a while....Dickinson Arms. Supposed to be the only one designed from ground up as a straight pull and not a modified pump.
votty1500
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by cracker » 17 Jul 2018, 3:41 pm

votty1500 wrote:Heard some bad reports about Pardus straight pull....seems most go back for modifications. The levers seem to be a bad design (although I havnt tried one) because the circular movement of lever isn't well suited to the job....from the reviews ive watched. Ill be getting a straight pull in a while....Dickinson Arms. Supposed to be the only one designed from ground up as a straight pull and not a modified pump.

they are more like a broken semi auto...
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by perentie » 17 Jul 2018, 6:00 pm

Does a handle on a straight pull move with each shot or could it be modified as a hand grip and be used to reload without letting go like a pump..
Put a pistol grip on it or something.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ponkychonk » 17 Jul 2018, 6:36 pm

perentie wrote:Does a handle on a straight pull move with each shot or could it be modified as a hand grip and be used to reload without letting go like a pump..

Check the Pardus BA12, comes with a Pistol grip option
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by scoobs » 17 Jul 2018, 7:48 pm

i have an adler, and a mate has a dickinson t1000 straight pull in my safe. i know what one i will not be giving back to my mate.....
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by perentie » 18 Jul 2018, 8:12 am

ponkychonk wrote:
perentie wrote:Does a handle on a straight pull move with each shot or could it be modified as a hand grip and be used to reload without letting go like a pump..

Looked at the video.
I meant a pistol grip on the fore end.
The video shows the bolt handle stays still when firing. There is a handle on both sides. If one was so inclined it would not be to hard to connect both handles to a hollow fore end sleeve arrangement that either slid over the existing fore end or replaced it. DIY pumper. :o
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ponkychonk » 19 Jul 2018, 1:51 am

perentie wrote:
ponkychonk wrote:

Looked at the video.
The video shows the bolt handle stays still when firing. There is a handle on both sides. If one was so inclined it would not be to hard to connect both handles to a hollow fore end sleeve arrangement that either slid over the existing fore end or replaced it. DIY pumper. :o

Never even thought about this. Would be a great way to lose your license if they found out tho
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by perentie » 19 Jul 2018, 7:45 am

Of course its all hypothetical. People have been pondering mods since the year dot.
I think the Adler is faster anyway, looking at the videos having to move ones hand off to pull the bolt, then back to fire looks slow.
With the Adler slicking kit and 6 turns cut off the lifter gate spring mine is really smooth and faster.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by cracker » 19 Jul 2018, 5:55 pm

bentaz wrote:
perentie wrote:
ponkychonk wrote:

Looked at the video.

And then GCA read this and they were banned, this is the kind of talk that can f*** things for every body.
I know that this is a theoretical discussion and that you have no intention of comiting such criminal acts, but the antitards troll these sites looking for ammo to use against us and this is just the sort of bulls**t them and the cocksuckers in the media love, headlines read "cat A shotguns converted to deadly rapid fire assault style pump actions"!

then it would be cat c and youd be in trouble.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ponkychonk » 19 Jul 2018, 8:11 pm

perentie wrote:Of course its all hypothetical. People have been pondering mods since the year dot.
I think the Adler is faster anyway, looking at the videos having to move ones hand off to pull the bolt, then back to fire looks slow.
With the Adler slicking kit and 6 turns cut off the lifter gate spring mine is really smooth and faster.

What is the slicking kit? I have a 410 adler that I wouldn't mind smoothing a bit
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by perentie » 20 Jul 2018, 7:56 am

This mob. Scroll down the list.
http://www.iceng.com.au
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.