Magazine Storage

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Magazine Storage

Post by Rider888 » 09 Jul 2018, 2:48 pm

I cannot find anything in the NSW Legislation that talks about storage of magazines so I thought i'd ask here:

a. Can i keep my empty magazines together with the firearm, in the box the firearm came with, in the safe?
b. Can I keep my empty magazines together with the ammunition in an approved ammo storage container?
c. Can I just leave my magazines unsecured or is this against the rules? (i.e. in a gym bag next to the safe?)

Just want to make sure I am not doing anything that will get me in trouble if an inspector comes knocking

Thank you.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Magazine Storage

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jul 2018, 2:55 pm

Rider888 wrote:I cannot find anything in the NSW Legislation that talks about storage of magazines so I thought i'd ask here:

a. Can i keep my empty magazines together with the firearm, in the box the firearm came with, in the safe?
b. Can I keep my empty magazines together with the ammunition in an approved ammo storage container?
c. Can I just leave my magazines unsecured or is this against the rules? (i.e. in a gym bag next to the safe?)

Just want to make sure I am not doing anything that will get me in trouble if an inspector comes knocking

Thank you.

Here in Vic a magazine is irrelevant, it's not a firearm part, or ammunition, so it can be left anywhere you please - in the rifle, in the safe, in the ammo cabinet, or on a shelf. If it's classed as a firearm part in NSW then I would guess it has to go in the gun safe.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 09 Jul 2018, 3:07 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Rider888 wrote:I cannot find anything in the NSW Legislation that talks about storage of magazines so I thought i'd ask here:

Thank you.

Here in Vic a magazine is irrelevant, it's not a firearm part, or ammunition, so it can be left anywhere you please - in the rifle, in the safe, in the ammo cabinet, or on a shelf. If it's classed as a firearm part in NSW then I would guess it has to go in the gun safe.

Thank you.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jul 2018, 3:16 pm

Rider888 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Thank you.

Thank you.

It just occurred to me, I'm sure that somewhere I've read something about not being allowed to keep anything in the gun safe that is not a firearm or part, supposedly to reduce access to the safe for items unrelated to shooting. I'm not sure if it was a law, a suggestion, or a dream I had - might be worth checking that perhaps. In that case, if a magazine is not classed as a firearm part then it may well be illegal to keep it in the gun safe, but then it would also be illegal to keep my cleaning rods in there, or even the square of foam rubber in the base. These laws are a mess!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 09 Jul 2018, 3:20 pm

Thank you.

FOR NSW - magazine is firearm part and considered a firearm

A)Yes - store it in or with the pistol.
B)No - you cant store firearms and ammo in the same container
C)No - the plod will do you good.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by YoungBuck » 09 Jul 2018, 4:43 pm

Just leave them locked up in either the safe or where you keep your ammo. I wouldn't risk storing them outside the safe. I leave my empty magazines with my ammo in the segregated ammo lock box within my main safe.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Archie » 09 Jul 2018, 9:12 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Just leave them locked up in either the safe or where you keep your ammo. I wouldn't risk storing them outside the safe. I leave my empty magazines with my ammo in the segregated ammo lock box within my main safe.

Do not do this in NSW. The NSW law on storage of firearm parts is a mess, because its nonexistent, it refers entirely to firearms and not firearms parts. I disagree with Wylies definition a bit ( under the act I reckon a magazine is a firearm part but a firearm part is not necessarily a firearm) but I totally agree with what he says to do with your magazines. In the safe, and with the guns and not with the ammo. It’s a bit of grey area to be honest but the police don’t like ambiguity, the law is unclear enough that you could easily be marked as failing the inspection and realistically, do you want to have to go to court to test the case law?
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Jul 2018, 9:31 pm

If in doubt, play it safe, treat it as part of the firearm, there are many instances where police have applied creative interpretations in the performance of their duties, it is not worth the grief, if you treat it as part of the firearm and store it accordingly, in an approved storage receptacle, minus the ammo, you can't get into trouble.
Member-Deleted

Post by YoungBuck » 10 Jul 2018, 10:32 am

Glad to see our states have consistent laws around these things.
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif (3.46 KiB) Viewed 7009 times
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 10 Jul 2018, 10:51 am

Wylie27 wrote:

Thank you.

FOR NSW - magazine is firearm part and considered a firearm

A)Yes - store it in or with the pistol.
B)No - you cant store firearms and ammo in the same container
C)No - the plod will do you good.

Thanks Mate. I just wanted to be sure
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 10 Jul 2018, 4:50 pm

I've got 30L of magazines not counting the rifle ones....That's enough for a safe of their own :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 11 Jul 2018, 10:18 am

OK here is the the official word from the Registry:

a. You can store empty magazines with your firearms.

b. You can store magazines with your ammunition in the ammunition box.

And not even subjective.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 11 Jul 2018, 10:58 am

Rider888 wrote:OK here is the the official word from the Registry:

And not even subjective.

Wow. Genuinely surprised. Usually they hedge their bets on everything. To be honest though, I'll still stick with option A just so I don't have to argue it with the inspecting police. Thanks for info.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 11 Jul 2018, 11:23 am

And not even subjective.

Was that a rifle or pistol magazine in NSW magazines are not treated equal
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 11 Jul 2018, 11:31 am

pomemax wrote:

And not even subjective.

Was that a rifle or pistol magazine in NSW magazines are not treated equal

My question specifically mentioned Pistol. Here it is below:

I would like some guidance regarding storage of pistol magazines as it seem to be a somewhat grey area.
My questions are as follows:
a. Can I store empty magazines with my firearm in the safe?
b. Can I store empty magazines with my ammunition in the ammunition box?
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 11 Jul 2018, 1:23 pm

I'd had asked "What are the legal requirements for the storage of pistol magazines in NSW" and then a pointer to the relevant FAQ or legislation.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by doc » 11 Jul 2018, 2:15 pm

bladeracer wrote:It just occurred to me, I'm sure that somewhere I've read something about not being allowed to keep anything in the gun safe that is not a firearm or part, supposedly to reduce access to the safe for items unrelated to shooting.

Wouldn't surprise me if you read that somewhere in a non-official capacity (aka somethink like facebook;) ), but I call BS on it being a legal requirement. Plus - it doesn't make sense. Someone breaks into a house and wants to get into a safe - how do they know what you've got in there until they open it up?

And I'm not removing my complete collection of Footrot Flats books from my safe to an insecure area for anyone -regardless of what I'm told. ;)
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Wylie27 » 11 Jul 2018, 2:37 pm

And not even subjective.

Wow well there you go :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 11 Jul 2018, 2:54 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. Ive certainly learnt something today regarding magazines
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Dunxy » 11 Jul 2018, 3:01 pm

Interesting,ive always thought (in Vic) magazines were totally a non event, keep where you like, but the other week a RO told me travelling with unloaded mags in ammo box is against the law. I berated him and said that ive never seen this rule in either the regs or act(bpth of which i have read many times) and he was wrong. A few days later I asked another RO who is also a safety instructor and he said the original RO was infact correct.
Who do we believe?
Has anybody got anything in writing (ha!) from LRD on this? You cant trust/use anything said on the phone, somebody at LRD flat out told a mate it was fine to do something that was infact not fine,so i hold zero faith in anything said on phone.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Joffa » 11 Jul 2018, 3:54 pm

For transport in Tasmania, the following is a direct quote from FAS Tasmania:
(obviously there are differences from state to state)

People engaged in the business of transporting goods must transport the ammunition in a separate package from a firearm or firearm part.

When conveying your firearms or ammunition from one place to another, any magazines must be unloaded, ammunition must be in a closed container completely separate from the firearm, which must also be unloaded and either:

Be in a locked receptacle; or
The bolt removed and kept in a closed container, completely separate from the firearm; or
A trigger/action lock fitted that prevents the firearm from being used.
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Dunxy » 11 Jul 2018, 4:35 pm

At least Tas outlines it clearly.

I just had a semi heated back and forth message session with an RO who says he knows for a fact somebody losing license for this exact scenario.I personally question it based on the fact that i cannot find even a recomendation let alone law(and im an argumentative prick) that outlines this for Vic. I shot of an email to a few dfo's, if i get any replies it will be interesting,
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 11 Jul 2018, 8:00 pm

AS a current Victorian Firearms safety course Instructor I can tell you that in Victoria, any part of the firearm, i.e. magazines, CAN NOT be stored with the ammunition. They are part of the firearm. They must be stored with the firearm. If anyone at the registry is saying you can store magazines with the ammunition, GET IT IN WRITING because I would really like to see that!
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2018, 1:04 am

doc wrote:
bladeracer wrote:It just occurred to me, I'm sure that somewhere I've read something about not being allowed to keep anything in the gun safe that is not a firearm or part, supposedly to reduce access to the safe for items unrelated to shooting.

Wouldn't surprise me if you read that somewhere in a non-official capacity (aka somethink like facebook;) ), but I call BS on it being a legal requirement. Plus - it doesn't make sense. Someone breaks into a house and wants to get into a safe - how do they know what you've got in there until they open it up?

And I'm not removing my complete collection of Footrot Flats books from my safe to an insecure area for anyone -regardless of what I'm told. ;)

No, it was about not opening the safe to get things that are not firearm-related, but I agree, it seems unlikely such would be written in law, but that doesn't rule it out :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2018, 5:25 am

madang55 wrote:AS a current Victorian Firearms safety course Instructor I can tell you that in Victoria, any part of the firearm, i.e. magazines, CAN NOT be stored with the ammunition. They are part of the firearm. They must be stored with the firearm. If anyone at the registry is saying you can store magazines with the ammunition, GET IT IN WRITING because I would really like to see that!

Can you direct me to the law that states that a magazine (or a scope or a stock) is part of a firearm?
As Police have no authority to inspect your ammunition storage, or your magazines, how would they know if you store your mags in there?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 12 Jul 2018, 9:40 am

bladeracer wrote:
Can you direct me to the law that states that a magazine (or a scope or a stock) is part of a firearm?
As Police have no authority to inspect your ammunition storage, or your magazines, how would they know if you store your mags in there?

My thought is identical, where is the definitions outlining what is considered a "part"?

On them having right to inspect, im talking scenario of travel, would they not be allowed to inspect your ammunition box while travelling to ensure you are complying with whatever rules are required?
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bullzeye » 12 Jul 2018, 11:26 am

And not even subjective.

Thanks for sharing. Good to know option B is available.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 12 Jul 2018, 12:12 pm

bullzeye wrote:

And not even subjective.

Thanks for sharing. Good to know option B is available.

Yes I thought it was good to get the "official" word from the registry and keep the email so that there can be no confusion if it comes up again
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Dunxy » 12 Jul 2018, 12:32 pm

madang55 wrote:AS a current Victorian Firearms safety course Instructor I can tell you that in Victoria, any part of the firearm, i.e. magazines, CAN NOT be stored with the ammunition. They are part of the firearm. They must be stored with the firearm. If anyone at the registry is saying you can store magazines with the ammunition, GET IT IN WRITING because I would really like to see that!

Here you go from a dfo

The question you ask is a simple one to answer

Carrying empty magazines in the same container as the rounds is no offence under the Firearm Act or the Wildlife Regulations

The rounds and mags must be stored away from where the firearm is stored

Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 13 Jul 2018, 7:18 am

Dunxy wrote:

Here you go from a dfo

The question you ask is a simple one to answer

Carrying empty magazines in the same container as the rounds is no offence under the Firearm Act or the Wildlife Regulations

The rounds and mags must be stored away from where the firearm is stored

As I have seen, these guidelines vary from state to state. Yes I do have mine in email form which is where I copied and pasted the response
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws