Reloading bench

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading bench

Post by Metalmik84 » 02 Jul 2018, 2:14 pm

Does anyone have any idea of a good prefab reloading bench or plans to build something?

Doesn't need to be huge as I don't have that much spare space anyhow. I haven't started reloading yet and only see myself reloading 9mm, .223 and maybe 308 or 6.5 in the short to medium term.

I am capable of putting something together myself but would honestly just prefer to buy something premade if anyone is aware of something that would suit and be up to the task?
Metalmik84
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Reloading bench

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jul 2018, 5:08 pm

Metalmik84 wrote:Does anyone have any idea of a good prefab reloading bench or plans to build something?

Doesn't need to be huge as I don't have that much spare space anyhow. I haven't started reloading yet and only see myself reloading 9mm, .223 and maybe 308 or 6.5 in the short to medium term.

I am capable of putting something together myself but would honestly just prefer to buy something premade if anyone is aware of something that would suit and be up to the task?

Could try the Lee Hand Press if you don't want to build a bench.
I've seen people use the mechanics tool chests with drawers but I personally wouldn't find that comfortable.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 02 Jul 2018, 5:25 pm

If you have a garage and are anyway into DIY a good bench is something you will use for the rest of your life. I was lucky to get a old workbench out of a factory it is probably 50+ years old big and heavy. If I would have made one a long time ago myself it would be no way as strong. if I had to build one now. I would make it with the biggest and best beams I could afford.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jul 2018, 6:33 pm

If only for reloading any good solid table will do the job. Perhaps check out the local salvos.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 02 Jul 2018, 8:17 pm

Mate like you I am limited for space. I actually have an old coffee table that I reinforced, put a solid top on it and mounted my press, powder thrower, and case trimmer. It is portable so I drag it out when I need it.
Of course I’d prefer a dedicated room and bench but hey, it does the trick.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Mitch » 03 Jul 2018, 4:58 am

I use a tool trolley. The big 1800 long ultimate branded one from bunnings
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 03 Jul 2018, 11:26 am

I think most people that live in a city these day are space poor I have my safe under the stairs with my reloading bench beside it i bought a tall cupboard and short from Bunnings fitted a heavy bench top also from Bunnings cut tee slots in the bench so i can mount presses in different positions normally i have an RCBS next to the Dillon with a puller set up in it
Attachments
063.jpg
063.jpg (102.03 KiB) Viewed 6405 times
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 03 Jul 2018, 12:18 pm

I made my little bench from an old single bed, the spring base for the frame and the wooden head and foot for the top.
Attachments
20170507_161255.jpg
20170507_161255.jpg (800.58 KiB) Viewed 6401 times
Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg (702.1 KiB) Viewed 6401 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 03 Jul 2018, 12:36 pm

Nice job mate
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 03 Jul 2018, 12:38 pm

JimTom wrote:Nice job mate

:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jul 2018, 4:53 pm

This is my setup currently.
A pair of cheap Bunnings storage shelf units, a piece of 19mm Yellow-Tongue flooring for a bench top. The press is mounted to a riser which is screwed to the bench with a single screw at the rear. The bench top is held down by the piece of Yellow-Tongue screwed to the wall, with some items hung off it but I prefer to keep those items in plastic boxes on the shelf above my head, where most of my bullets also reside. Three units of drawers for my dies, and a lockable cabinet for primers and whichever powders I'm using currently.

I have a spotlight overhead which is annoying. I've bought four-meters of flexible LED strip lighting but I need to cut it into lengths, mount it in various places around the bench, and wire all the pieces together. Just a matter of finding time. The past few weeks I've made about 3000rds on it in .204, .223, .243, 6.5x52mm, 6.5x55mm, 7mm-08, .303, .30-06, 7.62x54R, 8x57mm and some .44 Magnum. Some of them I need to shoot some development loads so I can make up the rest of the batches.
Attachments
20180702_151129b.jpg
20180702_151129b.jpg (896.9 KiB) Viewed 6385 times
20180702_151138b.jpg
20180702_151138b.jpg (826.81 KiB) Viewed 6385 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jul 2018, 9:39 pm

Just a friendly tip. I would be keeping power leads, lights etc away from the bench. Could be an ignition source.

One flash and you're ash. A technical term.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jul 2018, 9:54 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Just a friendly tip. I would be keeping power leads, lights etc away from the bench. Could be an ignition source.

One flash and you're ash. A technical term.

Worth remembering for sure, but I don't have any power leads on the bench, just the 12VDC lead to the scale, which is virtually impossible to not have in the area you are weighing powder on the scale.

I'm curious though (I can't smell), do powders give off any kind of vapour with a flashpoint? I would think any spark big enough to risk igniting solid powder is likely to do me more harm than a powder ignition might?

Some years ago I had a poorly-thought-out idea and connected a lead directly to a washing machine motor...and plugged it into the mains. The flash-bang that blew the circuit and melted that side of the power point was probably as big as it's ever likely to get, but I'd be surprised if it could ignite smokeless powder a foot or more away from it. I might have to pour out some powder next time I'm welding and see just what the likelyhood is.

Now I'm also curious what temperature the powder burns at :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Metalmik84 » 06 Jul 2018, 5:03 pm

Thanks for the ideas guys! Would something like this be suitable do you think?
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Produc ... _QQAvD_BwE
Metalmik84
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 06 Jul 2018, 5:57 pm

Metalmik84 wrote:Thanks for the ideas guys! Would something like this be suitable do you think?
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Produc ... _QQAvD_BwE

If you are a DYI type, like me, you will no doubt get more satisfaction out of something you custom craft to your specific needs than somerhing someone designed for a different generic, purpose.

I sat at the dining table I was using, with my press clamped into a temporary place, and imagined what I would like to be using instead.

I worked with what recyclable materials I had at hand and couldn't be happier with it.

On the other hand, if you're not, the supercheap bench looks like a reasonable basis from which to start.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Metalmik84 » 06 Jul 2018, 6:34 pm

I think that's half my problem. As I haven't reloaded before I'm not sure exactly what it should look like. I figure if I start off with just something basic and functional hopefully I'll get an idea overtime what would make things better and custom build something. Or find some plans from someone who has it worked out already.
Metalmik84
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Homer » 06 Jul 2018, 6:57 pm

G'Day Fella's,

Metalmik84, bench size depends on the space, and or room you have to place it.
Best to make it bit bigger than you think you will need (if possible).
Some people like to sit while reloading, others like me, prefer to stand.
So that will give you an indication of how high the bench needs to be.
Around 1150mm high for the stand up, and around 700mm for the sit down to the top of the bench.
Length and depth (front to back), is dependant on the space available and how much s**t you have/want, to bolt to it...........

Hope that helps

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer
Last edited by Homer on 07 Jul 2018, 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 06 Jul 2018, 7:09 pm

Well I trolled through gumtree bought a wooden study table (as I have limited space)... only to find that it was 3mm timber style sheeting.. maybe like thin plywood with a timber topping. Anyway got some wood screwed it to the little real wood the tablehad. And it's been working alright.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 11 Jul 2018, 7:56 pm

Yellow tongue flooring is a very cheap and solid bench top. Its also waterproof with a very smooth finish
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 11 Jul 2018, 10:43 pm

Like homer says...go bigger with bench top.
& id go as deep as you can...
I rekon that one at less than 500 is too small.

Mine is 600 deep & its not enough...!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 11 Jul 2018, 10:46 pm

See if you can grab an old table/desk/solid bbq etc from a hard rubbish collection then just screw a sheet of plywood cut to size, or cheap laminated timber slab to it as a top.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 11 Jul 2018, 10:48 pm

madang55 wrote:Yellow tongue flooring is a very cheap and solid bench top. Its also waterproof with a very smooth finish

Its just a wax type coating for a bit of moisure resistance-not actually waterproof.

Better off with ply if using thin top (up to 20mm) in my opinion.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2018, 12:38 am

Stix wrote:
madang55 wrote:Yellow tongue flooring is a very cheap and solid bench top. Its also waterproof with a very smooth finish

Its just a wax type coating for a bit of moisure resistance-not actually waterproof.

Better off with ply if using thin top (up to 20mm) in my opinion.

While it's not technically waterproof it is fairly resistant, and it's cheap enough that if you have to replace it after a few years in the paddock you aren't going to balk at the expense. I find ply worse, as the layers start to lift which gets really annoying. I lined my office with yellow-tongue, floors, walls and ceilings. My doors are two thicknesses of unpainted yellow-tongue, and have been exposed to the weather for over four years with no evidence of deterioration at all. Rain water actually comes in under the door and hasn't done any harm to the floor either.
YT is also the cheapest panel material I've found, cheaper than Gyproc or fibrous-cement, and much hardier.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2018, 12:40 am

Stix wrote:See if you can grab an old table/desk/solid bbq etc from a hard rubbish collection then just screw a sheet of plywood cut to size, or cheap laminated timber slab to it as a top.

The kitchen table I've been shooting off for much of the last four years is ply with a laminex top. The ply has deteriorated in the weather so that the lami has peeled up around all the edges. I need to replace the top with yellow-tongue very soon.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2018, 12:44 am

Stix wrote:Like homer says...go bigger with bench top.
& id go as deep as you can...
I rekon that one at less than 500 is too small.

Mine is 600 deep & its not enough...!

I've been using an old kitchen table, steel frame with a ply/lami top. The size is about right for me, especially if I go out with more than one rifle. But it's way too small for two shooters. The table was left in a rental property in town and brought out to our burn pile, so it was in excellent condition when I salvaged it for shooting from.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 12 Jul 2018, 12:08 pm

Sure yellow tongue is cheap & fine for a benchtop....but i prefer ply.
Personally if making a benchtop for reloading & using particle board id double up the thickness & do a glue rub joint between them, then screw them together.

& Blade, if your ply reloading bench keeps delaminating id bring it inside out of the rain...!!
If ply is delaminating for you, buy structural ply that has real glue...!!

Indoor laminate benchtops are not made for external use in the weather.

& as the most resistant--leave an off-cut of yellow tongue & structural ply in a puddle of water for 2 weeks & then tell me which one you rekon is most impervious to water...let me tell you you wont be using the structaflor again...!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 12 Jul 2018, 5:41 pm

The Formply is my go to ply for lining and structural use. I have it in the cattle truck that takes lots of wear and high pressure washes and continual being pissed on. Also use it in the horse stable doors with a light gal metal frame. Have made a dog kennel out of the stuff. all types of things. Really good value strong waterproof wood option.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Tiger650 » 12 Jul 2018, 7:25 pm

I have bought two benches from this bloke over the years.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Work-bench- ... XQq8BQ8bsf

First was 1.8m x.8m which I collected by arrangement on a Saturday, bloke had no change so owed me $10.00 which turned up in the mail a couple of days later.

Next bench was 2.4 x .8 which he delivered for little extra $$$ to Oakleigh, his employee bloke had no issues at all with helping me get it in position in the shed.

Quality is excellent, bench tops and shelves are 32mm yellow tongue, you cannot buy that retail at Bummings or whatever.

Vertical and horizontal structural timber are framing pine rather than knotty handyman s**t and screws are good inhex teks of correct length and diameter for purpose.

I suspect that the bloke has CAD and jigs and such to allow him to produce pretty much any bench at moderate cost, his material costs and ability to "nest" jobs from bulk materials obviously keeps his costs down

I could have wasted a weekend and spent more money at Bummings for either bench and would have ended up with an inferior thing.

The bloke is honest and his gear is good
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by vmaxaust » 13 Jul 2018, 6:52 am

[quote="Tiger650"]I have bought two benches from this bloke over the years.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Work-bench- ... XQq8BQ8bsf

Great value for money and ideal for any reloading or other workshop needs.
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2018, 4:27 pm

Stix wrote:Sure yellow tongue is cheap & fine for a benchtop....but i prefer ply.
Personally if making a benchtop for reloading & using particle board id double up the thickness & do a glue rub joint between them, then screw them together.

& Blade, if your ply reloading bench keeps delaminating id bring it inside out of the rain...!!
If ply is delaminating for you, buy structural ply that has real glue...!!

Indoor laminate benchtops are not made for external use in the weather.

& as the most resistant--leave an off-cut of yellow tongue & structural ply in a puddle of water for 2 weeks & then tell me which one you rekon is most impervious to water...let me tell you you wont be using the structaflor again...!!

Leaving it submerged in a puddle is very different to leaving it out in the weather :-)
Even plywood doors delaminate fairly quickly if they're not protected.
I'll stick with the YT.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition