4WD Purchase

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

4WD Purchase

Post by madang55 » 15 Jul 2018, 12:46 pm

I am looking to rid myself of my non 4WD. I am looking at used (2011-2014) max $25K, hoping for a reasonable trade in for mine. My best and most numerous choices appear to be Navaras and Tritons. Toyotas and Mazdas too costly for the most part, Colorado few and far between. I like both the Navara and Triton. I need an idea of informative for and against stuff. For instance early Tritons revved a bit high and did rings. I won't be going high country, and I wont be going beaches. I owned a 4runner years ago and the agreement was I didn't take it anywhere I thought I couldn't get out of, and it worked. Paddocks, fire trails, back woods and not too tricky if you get my drift.
Cheers
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: 4WD Purchase

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jul 2018, 12:52 pm

madang55 wrote:I am looking to rid myself of my non 4WD. I am looking at used (2011-2014) max $25K, hoping for a reasonable trade in for mine. My best and most numerous choices appear to be Navaras and Tritons. Toyotas and Mazdas too costly for the most part, Colorado few and far between. I like both the Navara and Triton. I need an idea of informative for and against stuff. For instance early Tritons revved a bit high and did rings. I won't be going high country, and I wont be going beaches. I owned a 4runner years ago and the agreement was I didn't take it anywhere I thought I couldn't get out of, and it worked. Paddocks, fire trails, back woods and not too tricky if you get my drift.
Cheers

Toyota Landcruisers hold their value for good reason, the only thing you want if you want to get into seriously difficult country, and get out again.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 15 Jul 2018, 2:32 pm

If a ute is really needed you would not go far wrong with either of your choices. having said that, The BT-50, Ranger and Colorado are better choices and if you shop around can be had for the same money as a Nissan or Mitso. My brother in law just sold his Ranger for a Landcriuser as he upgraded his van and needed the extra tow capacity, but was very happy with the Ford whilst he had it. (I must confess my shame, he used it to tow my Freightliner off a boggy lawn because I couldn't get traction, no photo thank God!) Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jul 2018, 2:39 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:(I must confess my shame, he used it to tow my Freightliner off a boggy lawn because I couldn't get traction, no photo thank God!) Cheers.

Wet or muddy grass on the farm is our biggest problem by far. Add steep hills and the Landcruiser shines.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 15 Jul 2018, 5:03 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Toyota Landcruisers hold their value for good reason, the only thing you want if you want to get into seriously difficult country, and get out again.

I run all over the cape in a landrover (97 defender). Cruisers are good but not the only option and ridiculously over priced
:D :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jul 2018, 5:17 pm

Daddybang wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I run all over the cape in a landrover (97 defender). Cruisers are good but not the only option and ridiculously over priced

The Defender is a good one too, but are the newer models as good as the earlier ones? The ex-ARMY ones come up regularly for auction but they seem to demand more than I'd want to pay for an ex-military vehicle.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Jul 2018, 6:54 pm

None of the new breed are worth s**t mate, they all have problems of one sort or another and can be somewhat costly so really do your research and make sure you know what you really are buying..
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by madang55 » 15 Jul 2018, 7:13 pm

Thanks people. I would love a cruiser, but for the money I would be buying something older and with higher kms. I used to own a Series II/1963 landy as well. Talk about bullet proof!!!, but too old. I am keeping my eye out for a Mazda or Holden as well, but they're scarce. Fords are dime a doz, but mostly the smaller engines. The search goes on
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 15 Jul 2018, 7:36 pm

bigfellascott wrote:None of the new breed are worth s**t mate, they all have problems of one sort or another and can be somewhat costly so really do your research and make sure you know what you really are buying..

This is pretty much dead right. Don't believe the hype about this one's great and that one's s**t. If you wanted to, you could get into a hilux for that money if you look around. Like them or loathe them, every large country town has a Toyota and Holden dealership for good reason.........
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 15 Jul 2018, 7:39 pm

Range Rover, the best 4x4xfar
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Thom318 » 15 Jul 2018, 9:06 pm

I'm a big fan of Isuzu based 4x4s, but I'm pretty biased, growing up in Rodeos and having owned a couple. My current DMax isn't the fastest or flashiest, or even very refined, but proven pretty decent off-road, costs bugger all to run and has been completely reliable, best car I've owned so far. You could easily pick up a good late Rodeo or early DMax in your price range
Thom318
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Jul 2018, 12:56 am

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jul 2018, 5:48 am

To answer you original question. I have a 4 year old triton. For mild 4x4 work does the job fine.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 16 Jul 2018, 7:26 am

I bought a 2016 Ranger a few weeks ago now. I'm pretty happy with it so far. The Suby is now up for sale.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Col » 16 Jul 2018, 7:29 am

FWIW When you decide on a breed take a look at the ex govt auctions, Pickles etc, as they can be a good place to pick up a reasonably priced well serviced vehicle. Especially if you are willing to be patient and look at a few vehicles.

I have purchased 2 L/C from Pickles this year and have been wrapped with the value. One was a 200 wagon (for the missus) and the other a 2012 L/C ute (c/c) with 78k on the clock, upgraded GVM and 2 inch lift for $46k. Wrapped in both.

Cant go past a L/C or Hilux even with a few kms. They just last. We are running 9 Toyotas and most have 350k km plus on the clock. Bullet proof.
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 16 Jul 2018, 9:28 am

bladeracer wrote:
Daddybang wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

The Defender is a good one too, but are the newer models as good as the earlier ones? The ex-ARMY ones come up regularly for auction but they seem to demand more than I'd want to pay for an ex-military vehicle.

Like most makes these days they're great when they're going but f@#iin expensive when they're broken!;
Personally I don't like the electrical systems and computers in the modern fourbies as they're too bloody hard to fix if ya out in the middle of nowhere.!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by scoobs » 16 Jul 2018, 9:29 am

i love my ranger. seen a few px rangers go for around 25k
Attachments
36803903_10156797789586264_7960042367770165248_o.jpg
36803903_10156797789586264_7960042367770165248_o.jpg (112.49 KiB) Viewed 7817 times
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 17 Jul 2018, 6:28 pm

I'll just throw this here. :) :drinks:

FB_IMG_1531734409626.jpg
FB_IMG_1531734409626.jpg (13.73 KiB) Viewed 7779 times
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jul 2018, 7:00 pm

That is a pearler Daddybang.

Well known for quality/reliability issues. Does anyone here have the balls to own up to owning a Jeep?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by scoobs » 17 Jul 2018, 8:08 pm

glad i bought a ford then, im broke enough with one woman :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bigjobss » 17 Jul 2018, 9:18 pm

For that $$ I would honestly be looking at a Pajero, highly underated and great value.
The current model has been around for ages so they are pretty dated but the tradeoff is that they have worked out all the issues and the 3.2l diesel is bulletproof.
Bigjobss

Post by madang55 » 18 Jul 2018, 12:09 am

Sat in a Navara today. Navara owners must be midgets, couldn't get my legs under the steering wheel. Sat in a couple of Tritons, much better. Sat in A D-Max, even better.
Having a look at a couple of B3000/BT50 soon.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 18 Jul 2018, 1:29 am

Oldbloke wrote:That is a pearler Daddybang.

Well known for quality/reliability issues. Does anyone here have the balls to own up to owning a Jeep?

Yep that's a pisser DB.. :lol:

OB the bloke that used to live across the road from me in the NT had one, I would see him working on it almost every other day. :oops: . Reckoned he regretted buying a Heap Jeep as he called it... :lol:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Jul 2018, 7:55 am

madang55 wrote:Sat in a Navara today. Navara owners must be midgets, couldn't get my legs under the steering wheel. Sat in a couple of Tritons, much better. Sat in A D-Max, even better.
Having a look at a couple of B3000/BT50 soon.

I have the same thing with my mates Hilux (around 2009 model I think it was, the one with a little seat and half doors it has SFA seat adjustment for the passenger seat my knees were hard up against the dash and I'm only 5ft10" so god only knows how a tall streak of pelican poop would go! :D

I can't even get behind the wheel of my mates HZ75 Cruiser, its got SFA seat adjustment and my fat gut sits on the steering wheel :lol: I'd happily own one of those if I could fit in the bloody thing properly :(
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by madang55 » 18 Jul 2018, 11:23 am

Daddybang, cute cartoon, but my wife won't sharing me. Its a wife thing.
BUT......Nissan Patrol....4Cyl, 3lt Diesel. Just found a very nice looking one I am going to take a look at. 3lt seems a bit on the small size for a brute like the Patrol...any quick ideas anyone
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 23 Jul 2018, 11:34 pm

Mazda BT50. Same age as my trade in, Same km, drives very nicely, has a bullbar and 20000lb Warne winch almost new, 5 almost brand new BF GRich tyres. Is wired for UHF and has an arial attached. I need to get a canopy for it. Been looking at Gumtree and ebay. If anyone sees a 2nd hand one, preferably black, PM me. Thanks guys. By the way , Mazda radios suck.Will certainly install one with BluTooth etc
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Archie » 24 Jul 2018, 2:16 pm

Oldbloke wrote:That is a pearler Daddybang.

Knew there was a reason I bought the land rover...

I rented a Jeep for a roadtrip once. That was enough to cure me of ever wanting to own one. 400km and I stopped in at a town with a branch of the rental company and told them I'd swap it for anything with wheels. It rattled so much I thought the doors were going to come off and the sealing on them was bad enough that dust would come in on the highways. If you can't properly build a door I don't want to know what the other components were like.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lifesaride » 24 Jul 2018, 2:40 pm

madang55 wrote:Mazda BT50. Same age as my trade in, Same km, drives very nicely, has a bullbar and 20000lb Warne winch almost new, 5 almost brand new BF GRich tyres. Is wired for UHF and has an arial attached. I need to get a canopy for it. Been looking at Gumtree and ebay. If anyone sees a 2nd hand one, preferably black, PM me. Thanks guys. By the way , Mazda radios suck.Will certainly install one with BluTooth etc

I know 4 people who have or have dad bt50s. An 08, 2 2014s, and a 2015. All have been very impressed due to no major issues, and they are a bloody comfy car to drive.

As for a 2nd hand canopy, good luck, you have to be quick. If you’re on Facebook there should be a buy, swap, sell group for bt50s. A lot of gear gets moved through them, or you can ring around wreckers but generally you won’t make much of a saving off new.

On a side note, if you’re handy, strip down and regrease the winch. Warn are renowned for only packing half of what they need in the housing which will cause plenty of dramas long term.
Cheers
Lifesaride
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by madang55 » 24 Jul 2018, 7:56 pm

Lifesaride wrote:
madang55 wrote:Mazda BT50. Same age as my trade in, Same km, drives very nicely, has a bullbar and 20000lb Warne winch almost new, 5 almost brand new BF GRich tyres. Is wired for UHF and has an arial attached. I need to get a canopy for it. Been looking at Gumtree and ebay. If anyone sees a 2nd hand one, preferably black, PM me. Thanks guys. By the way , Mazda radios suck.Will certainly install one with BluTooth etc

I know 4 people who have or have dad bt50s. An 08, 2 2014s, and a 2015. All have been very impressed due to no major issues, and they are a bloody comfy car to drive.

As for a 2nd hand canopy, good luck, you have to be quick. If you’re on Facebook there should be a buy, swap, sell group for bt50s. A lot of gear gets moved through them, or you can ring around wreckers but generally you won’t make much of a saving off new.

On a side note, if you’re handy, strip down and regrease the winch. Warn are renowned for only packing half of what they need in the housing which will cause plenty of dramas long term.
Cheers

Handy info, thank you. Once I get my hands on it, my mechanics are going to have a field day. General order will be, "take it apart and put it back together again" Especially, winch, brakes, clutch, transmission. I will get down and dirty with a grease gun and generally crawl all over it for several days
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 31 Jul 2018, 2:23 am

You'd reckon that buying a car would be simple. So, I decide to buy this car,(BT50), the salesman agrees to give me whatever for my car as a trade-in. I pay a deposit, sign some papers, during which I comment to the salesman, "your handwriting is crap" and go home with a smile on my face. On my way home...salesman calls me, says there is a financial hold on my car, the one I own and am trading in.(refer to PPSR) My comment, "bovine droppings!!!" A week later, after some very creative detective work and some descriptive emails, several visits to 2 different bank branches, I discover....that......4 years after I pay cash for my car, a car is sold in Wodonga. A highly educated, highly motivated sales person in Wodonga, writes down the VIN for the vehicle they are selling, and........the next person in line, types that VIN, transcribes the VIN, to the sales contract and finance agreement. ONLY ONE THING WENT WRONG. Who ever was the primary school teacher of the person who wrote down the VIN didn't cane the little toad enough during handwriting class. The VIN for both cars is EXACTLY the same except for the very last digit. My VIN ends in 20525, the car they sold has the VIN ending in 20528. 10 days later and I'm still waiting to pick up my BT50. Wodonga have contacted the bank with the hold on the wrong car. The bank say thankyou. I'm ready to bite the heads off budgies, neither of them have contacted me. When I do pick my new/old car up, guess what they are going to do.....re-write the whole contract in legible hand writing. This is why Asylums were invented, I'm booking in.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel