What size cartridges can fit into a martini cadet?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: What size cartridges can fit into a martini cadet?

Post by Dtm » 02 Jul 2018, 6:27 pm

Thanks Gunny. I do own a Ruger Number 1 in 270W which is my hunting rifle. However for a while now I have been considering a Cadet in 30-30 as a lightweight stalking rifle, I realise from research in websites such as this, that the recoil would be considerable in this package which can be minimised to a small degree by stock measurement and design. My plan had always been to download with lead projectiles for all shooting except hunting, where I would then use appropriate factory /handloads. This was going to be my first opportunity to correspond direct with someone who has a Cadet in 30-30 to discuss recoil and how the gun handles this cartridge. I may have to stay with my Number 1 and alternate with my bow. Might save myself a lot of unnecessary grief. cheers
Dtm
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 07 Jul 2018, 8:18 am

Dtm: it can still be possible, just means you need to do your homework. You could look at putting a mercury recoil reducer into the stock. That combined with a good stock design & good recoil pad plus loading cast, may very well be the recipe.
Have a chat to Allan Swan, he'll be able to to advise further on the project.

The 357Mag Cadet I have still has the original butt fitted & the forend too, just shortened a little. The previous owner must have wanted to do it on a strict budget! He'd used a SMLE sniper cheek pad fitted to the butt for scope use. Then he'd sculpted an odd front grip pad that was fixed to the front timber way out towards the muzzle. Must have been a long armed bugger!

The scope was fitted into a Field side mount that had been moded to clear the reticle mounts. Didn't make for a lot of room over the action. So I've removed the mount & will get Swanny to fit a rail just forward of the action so I can fit a red dot.

With 200gn loads it isnt the most comfortable to shoot, only aided by having a straight bull barrel. So the plan is to replace the stock with something more suited to what is needed.

Have a chat to Cameron & Hatchers Stocks about a stock to suit your project. May also help shed light on a way forward.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Dtm » 20 Jul 2018, 9:34 pm

Thanks Gunnie. I might give Allan Swan a call next week. If sounds do-able then might follow up with Cameron & Hatcher stocks
Cheers.
Dtm
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 21 Jul 2018, 7:58 pm

Not a problem mate. Hope the project falls into place for you. Keep us informed as it's always good to hear about Martini projects.

Speaking of which I'll have to call Alan myself, as I'll have to check up on the 20-222Rimmed Martini project.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 22 Jul 2018, 3:25 pm

256 win mag seems to be the go for me.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by andym79 » 01 Jan 2019, 8:18 am

Tripod wrote:
andym79 wrote:Would a 219 zipper be okay or too much pressure?

I don't see too much factory ammo around so you can reload to whatever levels you are happy with, The Cadets handle a lot of pressure and the first sign you are getting too high is the case wont extract.
One way to avoid the next person blowing themself up is to get the smith to cut the chamber 60thou short and cut the rim separate, Then you cut the dies shorter by the same amount and call it a 219 Zipper Short. A factory round wont chamber so problem solved.
Just done a Marlin in .224 Savage Hi-power (.224 instead of the original .227) Loaded for it yesterday and can't wait to get to the range.

Old post I know, but how did the Marlin 22HP work out, I have a 336 that I am thinking of doing the same to.

What twist is your barrel?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by andym79 » 01 Jan 2019, 8:21 am

ultramag wrote:Hi , i would like to share my experience with the Cadet action .
I have a 12/15 thickwall in 220 swift "YES" 220 swift. The 220 wby rocket also makes it around the bend .The barrel tennon is .810 x 20 TPI pretty much what the win 94 lever action is , this leaves plenty of meat on both action and chamber walls .The swift being semi rimmed is also ideal in the fact you don't require a rimless extractor .
Another project that has turned out very well is put a match 223 ackly reamer in to head space on a necked up 204 case . Use the easily obtainable 223 ackly dies with a spacer and away you go .3 750 fps with 50gn V-Max and open the action and the case falls out .( i am using a Snapps rimless extractor .)
I have used Hennessy's in Townsville , Owen is very knowledgeable and seems enthusiastic to get the work done on interesting projects .
My latest build is 30-30 ackley benchrest rifle on a standard model 12 cadet , nearly same case capacity as 30BR , should be fun .
Cheers

I still can't believe a 220 Swift, it would be awesome, how much thicker is the 12/15 around the barrel tenon than a standard cadet?

How much did the block trough need to be deepened?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Maxjon » 15 Feb 2024, 4:13 pm

ultramag wrote:Hi , i would like to share my experience with the Cadet action .
I have a 12/15 thickwall in 220 swift "YES" 220 swift. The 220 wby rocket also makes it around the bend .The barrel tennon is .810 x 20 TPI pretty much what the win 94 lever action is , this leaves plenty of meat on both action and chamber walls .The swift being semi rimmed is also ideal in the fact you don't require a rimless extractor .
Another project that has turned out very well is put a match 223 ackly reamer in to head space on a necked up 204 case . Use the easily obtainable 223 ackly dies with a spacer and away you go .3 750 fps with 50gn V-Max and open the action and the case falls out .( i am using a Snapps rimless extractor .)
I have used Hennessy's in Townsville , Owen is very knowledgeable and seems enthusiastic to get the work done on interesting projects .
My latest build is 30-30 ackley benchrest rifle on a standard model 12 cadet , nearly same case capacity as 30BR , should be fun .
Cheers

Any pictures of the 220 Swift Cadet?? I, like others, find this hard to believe that's all.
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles