CZ or Beretta

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

CZ or Beretta

Post by Rider888 » 21 Jul 2018, 2:47 pm

Looking at the 92FS Inox and the CZ75 SP-01 Shadow Duo Tone

Does anyone have both of these or have fired both of them that can offer some advice or happy for me to have a look at and perhaps even shoot?

I understand that they are both excellent for IPSC and Service Pistol which is a bonus but I like them for looks as well.

If you recommend the Shadow then the next question is this: Any advantage in going for a Shadow 2 over Shadow 1?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Last edited by Rider888 on 21 Jul 2018, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: CZ or Beretta

Post by No1Mk3 » 21 Jul 2018, 3:19 pm

G'day Rider888,
They both feel quite different in the hand, you really need to ask at the range to have a feel, and if possible try a few shots. I have a 92FS Brigadier which I like the "heft" but cannot shoot well, consistently shooting low. I also have both CZ75 and CZ85, both of which I really like and shoot well with. For a start, visit a shop who has both and see how they feel in the hand, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 21 Jul 2018, 6:17 pm

Rider,

Shadow2 all the way

Beretta 92 is a fine pistol but lets be honest its a service aka military pistol and well it feels like one.

My nephew has one and while he loves it and wouldnt ditch it, he aaid shooting my shadow2 was much nicer.

Shadow 2 to me is just a little bit more refined over the sp-01.

But as with everything, its personal preference... in the words of a mexican child why not both???? :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 21 Jul 2018, 6:41 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Rider,

Shadow2 all the way

Beretta 92 is a fine pistol but lets be honest its a service aka military pistol and well it feels like one.

My nephew has one and while he loves it and wouldnt ditch it, he aaid shooting my shadow2 was much nicer.

Shadow 2 to me is just a little bit more refined over the sp-01.

But as with everything, its personal preference... in the words of a mexican child why not both???? :)

I'd love to get both but cannot justify spending almost $3k. Will do some reading on the Shadow 2 vs 1 and then make an informed decision. However if cost aka the extra $500 is tight then I guess the Shadow 1 is still a good piece of kit?

Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 21 Jul 2018, 7:15 pm

Shadow 1 is a good pistol no doubts about that

The shadow 2 is just an evolution.

If we ever get to the range at the same time then you are more than welcome to shoot the cz and the 686 revolver if your game :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 21 Jul 2018, 7:48 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Shadow 1 is a good pistol no doubts about that

The shadow 2 is just an evolution.

If we ever get to the range at the same time then you are more than welcome to shoot the cz and the 686 revolver if your game :)

Sounds good thanks. When are you there next? Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigM » 21 Jul 2018, 9:46 pm

The Beretta is not suitable for IPSC and is rarely used in Service.

The CZ Shadow/Shadow 2 is widely used in IPSC including among top level shooters.
A Glock 17 would be more competitive than a Beretta but would not be my first choice.

I had a Shadow Duotone and now have a Shadow Australia.
Not sure that any new Shadow (original) are still available except maybe the odd Shadow Orange.

Shadow 2 are a good gun but I am not keen on the bevelled slide.
"Are you ready?"
bigM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Grumpy » 21 Jul 2018, 10:15 pm

I own a Shadow 1 & have used a Shadow 2. I’m an average shot & didn’t notice any difference in accuracy between the two (it may be different if your a skilled marksman but I’m not). Shadow 2 is definitely heavier & narrower. I changed out the grips out on mine to VZ aggressive as I prefer more grip. This also made it easier for the Mrs to use as she has small hands. I think that if I owned a Shadow 2 I would also swap out the grips, but that’s just a personal thing.
I’ve put about 6000 round through it so far with 0 faults. I recently upgraded guide rod & springs, and gave it a bit of a polish up on a couple of areas. For some the extra dollars spent on a S2 may be warranted, but for me I’m happy with the S1.
9FE7BCFA-8D99-4B35-8029-FDD371098882.jpeg
9FE7BCFA-8D99-4B35-8029-FDD371098882.jpeg (1 MiB) Viewed 9278 times
Grumpy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Rider888 » 22 Jul 2018, 3:09 am

bigM wrote:The Beretta is not suitable for IPSC and is rarely used in Service.

The CZ Shadow/Shadow 2 is widely used in IPSC including among top level shooters.
A Glock 17 would be more competitive than a Beretta but would not be my first choice.

Not sure that any new Shadow (original) are still available except maybe the odd Shadow Orange.

Why are the shadow oranges almost double in price? Isn’t it just a different colour?
Also was there any difference between the Duo Tone and Australia model?
Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 22 Jul 2018, 3:10 am

Grumpy wrote:I own a Shadow 1 & have used a Shadow 2. I’m an average shot & didn’t notice any difference in accuracy between the two (it may be different if your a skilled marksman but I’m not). Shadow 2 is definitely heavier & narrower. I changed out the grips out on mine to VZ aggressive as I prefer more grip. This also made it easier for the Mrs to use as she has small hands. I think that if I owned a Shadow 2 I would also swap out the grips, but that’s just a personal thing.
I’ve put about 6000 round through it so far with 0 faults. I recently upgraded guide rod & springs, and gave it a bit of a polish up on a couple of areas. For some the extra dollars spent on a S2 may be warranted, but for me I’m happy with the S1.
9FE7BCFA-8D99-4B35-8029-FDD371098882.jpeg

Thank you for this info.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigM » 26 Jul 2018, 8:44 pm

Rider888 wrote:Why are the shadow oranges almost double in price? Isn’t it just a different colour?
Cheers

Shadow Orange should be about $2100 with 4 mags.
Shadow Australia about $1650
Shadow Duotone about $1300.

Shadow Orange and Shadow Australia have; competition hammer, beveled rear sight, 1mm f/o front sight, more precisely machined slide which is quite different inside to a standard shadow, chequered grips.
Shadow Orange is supposed to have more hand fitting. All Orange that I have handled were very tight and took a while to bed in.

Standard mods on a Shadow (or Shadow 2) are 13 lb main spring and 11 lb recoil spring and your choice of grips.
I am currently using Lok Grips palm swell bogies (http://lokgrips.com/gun-grips/cz-75/pal ... black-g10/).
I have medium hands with short fingers.
"Are you ready?"
bigM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 27 Jul 2018, 7:54 am

bigM wrote:
Rider888 wrote:Why are the shadow oranges almost double in price? Isn’t it just a different colour?
Cheers

Shadow Orange and Shadow Australia have; competition hammer, beveled rear sight, 1mm f/o front sight, more precisely machined slide which is quite different inside to a standard shadow, chequered grips.
Shadow Orange is supposed to have more hand fitting. All Orange that I have handled were very tight and took a while to bed in.

Standard mods on a Shadow (or Shadow 2) are 13 lb main spring and 11 lb recoil spring and your choice of grips.
I am currently using Lok Grips palm swell bogies (http://lokgrips.com/gun-grips/cz-75/pal ... black-g10/).

Spoke to PBA yesterday and they have advised that there are no Shadow 2's in stock at the moment so if a dealer has one, people should grab it as they wont come back in stock till 2019. Also if any dealer has a SP-01, aka Shadow 1, that will be the last of it as its no longer in production.
With that in mind, Im sure some serious price competition will be found as stores will be trying to clear out their SP-01s
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Homer » 04 Aug 2018, 3:32 pm

G'Day Fella's,

Rider888, the best suggestion I can make is, try both of these pistols (and as many otherrs as possible) and see which one fits your hand the best.
Do this at a LGS, or at the range.
Hanguns are a lot like Shoes and Boots, you need to find one that fits you and is comfortable, before you will perform at your best.

FYI, in 38 years of continiously shooting IPSC, I may have seen just one person shooting a Beretta 92.
On the other hand, at the moment, various CZ models are the most popular pistol being used at my local range.......... there's a message in that!

Hope that helps

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by JSS » 04 Aug 2018, 5:37 pm

Homer is 100% right you need to try them both, guns are are personal preference thing and handguns even more so.
I have both the Beretta and the Shadow 2 so i don't have a bias because i own one & not the other. But I do have a strong preference, while the 92fs is a solid and reliable gun and imo there's nothing wrong with them, but for me there is absolutely no comparison between the two, The CZ just runs rings around the Beretta, i couldn't even tell you the last time the 92 came out of the safe. But again this is just one blokes opinion.
I know a few ranges up this way have bought shadow 2s as club guns, maybe have a ring around your area and see what guns the ranges have so you can actually shoot them, in my opinion how they feel in the shop and how they actually shoot can be very different too.
Goodluck.
Last edited by JSS on 05 Aug 2018, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grumpy » 04 Aug 2018, 10:52 pm

JSS wrote:I know a few ranges up this way have bought shadow 2s as club guns, maybe have a ring around your area and see what guns the ranges have so you can actually shoot them, in my opinion how they feel in the shop and how they actually shoot be be very different too.
Goodluck.

This was my experience when I was trying to determine what to buy. There were a couple of pistols I’d tried that felt right to handle, but no matter what I did I just couldn’t achieve the consistent accuracy that I was getting with the club CZ. I suggest you try as many different types as you can.
Grumpy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by zhuk » 17 Nov 2018, 9:16 pm

bigM wrote:The Beretta is not suitable for IPSC and is rarely used in Service.

Exactly. Look how many people actually shoot Berettas in competition..practically nobody.

The Shadow will outshoot you for the life of your shooting career...99.5% of IPSC Production can't be wrong lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 17 Nov 2018, 9:24 pm

Rider888 wrote:
bigM wrote:
Cheers

Spoke to PBA yesterday and they have advised that there are no Shadow 2's in stock at the moment so if a dealer has one, people should grab it as they wont come back in stock till 2019. Also if any dealer has a SP-01, aka Shadow 1, that will be the last of it as its no longer in production.
With that in mind, Im sure some serious price competition will be found as stores will be trying to clear out their SP-01s

I'm casually looking around for a Combat 85 atm, although they are long out of production Paul allegedy has them listed on pba so might have to run it by him. If I wasn't so stubborn about *not* shooting the gun that just about everyone does (ie Shadows) having been loyal to the Tupperware Nation for 8 years now lol I'd be looking at good condition secondhand models...there are quite a lot of SP01s out there right now.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by thunderbird » 25 Jan 2019, 9:37 am

as a CZ shadow orange owner, definitely +1 vote for CZ.
92F was in my short list but CZ is way too good.
thunderbird
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 27 Jan 2019, 7:15 am

Magnum still has at least one new SP01 left, i picked one up while they were still going. Pretty much the last stock available. The Shadow 2 grip might be thinner but it is also a bit wider front to back, and with small hands its not nearly as comfortable for me. An 11lb mainspring has got the DA down to an average of about 7.5lbs, still slightly too much as I have wrist issues so will try a 10lb which I think might be the go.

Also went with palm swell LOK grips but full checkered style which is a bit more like extra aggressive griptape texture rather than the bogies which were too much for my small (and kinda bony lol) hands.

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=129780

PBA informed me there won't be any more S2s coming in until around mid-year, so you might find a relatively unused secondhand model if you search around.

zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wolfthomas » 22 Feb 2019, 9:18 am

I shoot a Beretta 92FS for IPSC and Service Pistol because I wanted one every since I was a kid watching films like Die Hard or pretty any action film from the 1980-1990s. I'm sure the CZ is a better gun but that's my reasoning.
wolfthomas
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by zhuk » 26 Feb 2019, 7:25 am

Think any type of "Die Hard reasoning" is perfectly valid Lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by FNQ » 11 Mar 2019, 6:53 pm

Are we limited to owning 2 x 9mm in QLD?
Can we own say a 92, CZ & a Glock?
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Toolnup » 12 Mar 2019, 5:25 pm

FNQ wrote:Are we limited to owning 2 x 9mm in QLD?
Can we own say a 92, CZ & a Glock?

I've heard there is a limit but as far as I know it's more than 2.

I think If your club shoots multiple disciplines you can potentially have a main and backup for each.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Toolnup
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Zappa » 21 Mar 2019, 8:16 pm

$1950 the average price for a CZ shadow 2 now. Up from $1650 a few months ago.

Talk about price gouging. Getting my license stamped next week for H and I think I might buy myself a .22 like a Ruger mk4 until the Shadow 3 comes out, then pickup a Shadow 2 a lot cheaper.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 21 Mar 2019, 8:31 pm

Zappa, to be fair the aussie dollar has taken a major dump from this time 12 months ago or longer when i bought mine.

Aud is buying 69 cents at the moment, last year it was buying 80cents
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Zappa » 22 Mar 2019, 5:05 am

Wylie27 wrote:Zappa, to be fair the aussie dollar has taken a major dump from this time 12 months ago or longer when i bought mine.

Prices shoot up when the aussie pesso drops, but take their sweet time coming down when it strengthens against the greenback. I'll wait or might even pickup a cheap SP 01 for a 9mm fix.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by zhuk » 24 Mar 2019, 12:04 pm

Zappa wrote:
Wylie27 wrote:Zappa, to be fair the aussie dollar has taken a major dump from this time 12 months ago or longer when i bought mine.

Prices shoot up when the aussie pesso drops, but take their sweet time coming down when it strengthens against the greenback. I'll wait or might even pickup a cheap SP 01 for a 9mm fix.

Pretty good price ($900) for a 'like new' SP01 with 4 mags, 2 unopened

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=146020
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Zappa » 24 Mar 2019, 2:35 pm

zhuk wrote:Pretty good price ($900) for a 'like new' SP01 with 4 mags, 2 unopened

Ive seen them less than that. People are paying around $700 - $800 for good used examples.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by goat » 24 Mar 2019, 4:50 pm

Magnum have new SP01 listed on used guns for $1099 with 3 magazines. Nearly half the price of a shadow 2 at the moment!
goat
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers