The fox pages

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: The fox pages

Post by southwest shooter » 28 Jun 2018, 11:51 am

Good work jonny .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 28 Jun 2018, 11:57 am

:allegedly:
sungazer wrote:Not sure if it was worth skinning that one it looks like it is full of holes :lol:

She just wants it to practice brain tanning on
Otherwise I'd have left it.
Things ya do for someone you fancy hey ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 28 Jun 2018, 1:12 pm

Jon79 wrote:Went out the other night to shoot a few hares for dog tucker and also threw in my new Howa 308 in case any deer or porkies had ventured out on to the crops.

After picking up plenty of hares with the 223 this fella was laying out in the paddock looking at me and I still hadn't tried out my new 308 on anything besides sighting it in, the temptation got to me in the end and I picked up the 308 and knocked him over......going by the GPS he was 287 meters away and lets just say that the Outback ammo 165gr gamekings aren't gentle :o

Nice shot Jon...!!...i rekon it is anyway, especially given its first blood with a new rifle & under spotlight...! :thumbsup:

What light you use & what model scope is on the Howa Jon...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Jon79 » 28 Jun 2018, 1:25 pm

Stix wrote:Nice shot Jon...!!...i rekon it is anyway, especially given its first blood with a new rifle & under spotlight...! :thumbsup:

just a 9inch powa beam spotlight and a Leupold Freedom 3-9x40 :thumbsup:
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by southwest shooter » 28 Jun 2018, 1:55 pm

Jon79 wrote:
Stix wrote:Nice shot Jon...!!...i rekon it is anyway, especially given its first blood with a new rifle & under spotlight...! :thumbsup:

Anygood the leupold william wallace range of scopes ?
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jon79 » 28 Jun 2018, 3:25 pm

southwest shooter wrote:
Jon79 wrote:

Anygood the leupold william wallace range of scopes ?

Yeah I don't mind them, value wise I think they are good I have them on my 243 and now my 308 and they shoot really well so far with no issues

ozzie did a review on the rimfire version not long ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTbPHvD1mi4
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jul 2018, 8:55 pm

I think I have found my calling. Whistling foxes. It never bores me and is always interesting and can be a challenge. Foxes can be funny buggers one day running next sneaking around trying to get wind of you or you just don’t see them at all.

This must be the biggest/fattest Fox I’ve ever shot its as fat as a pig. Here’s the story.

A few days ago I spoke to a mate and he said he had 12 goat kids born in the recent weeks only 4 left. The rest seem to have fed the foxes he said. He hasn’t seen a fox more over a month so he guessed they have been coming in at night. He had also lost a couple of lambs. Anyway as it happened I was driving past on Saturday late in the arvo after a disappointing (wet & cold) day out hunting. I had the 223 in the ute, so gave him a bell and told him I would drop in if that was OK?

So after a bit of a yak and a cuppa with John at about 4.45 pm I went for a walked 80 meters down his driveway sat down on my stool in front of some Cypres with the 223 and some shooting sticks. The sticks are just made out of a TV aerial, the rifle a Marlin XS Bolt action, 3 - 9 x 40 scope…

I gave the button whistle a few blows but that didn’t work after about 10 minutes so I decided to try the tenterfield. It was windy and very cold so I no intention of staying for very long. The tenterfield seemed the best option, being so loud. In just a 2 or 3 minutes I spotted about 300 yards something running like a steam train up the hill towards me. It looked like a dog, and I thought it could be the neighbors. So I better be careful, but as it got closer I realized it was a really big fox and he just kept on running and swung around to my right. He didn’t look like stopping, I thought he’s going to run past me so I adjusted the shooting sticks and called “oi” and he stopped, next thing its bang flop. Interestingly he his lost his tail at some point.

What is the best whistle? Well Iv’e found the tenterfield to be fairly consistent but Iv’e called them in with button whistles, duck callers, toy queakers and DIY tenterfields. No wonder I’m fast getting addicted.

Piggy Fox sml 2.jpg
Piggy Fox sml 2.jpg (161.42 KiB) Viewed 9210 times

Piggy fox sml 3.jpg
Piggy fox sml 3.jpg (354.77 KiB) Viewed 9210 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 03 Jul 2018, 10:08 pm

Nice one old bloke. I'm loving calling this year.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 03 Jul 2018, 10:24 pm

Good one OB...
A cuppa n a fox is the way to go for warmth on a cold day...!! :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 04 Jul 2018, 9:26 am

G,day oldbloke
When I go fox whistling I take my Scotch Caller , three tenterfield and two button whistles . Just depends on the day which whistle is best !
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2018, 8:22 pm

southwest shooter wrote:G,day oldbloke
When I go fox whistling I take my Scotch Caller , three tenterfield and two button whistles . Just depends on the day which whistle is best !

Yeah I have a few more including a scotch caller. Tried it a fair few times. Never seems to work?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jamie00091 » 07 Jul 2018, 1:45 pm

Gday fellas
Growing up did a lot of shooting with my pa on his property in vic back in the day and when he dropped off the perch didnt have a lot to do with it for 12 years or so.

Wondering if anyone would be interested in letting me come out with them for a whistle or spotlighting. Was only a young fella when i used to get out and want to get a bit more experience chasing foxes. Noone i know have their license or interested in pest control so if anyone was keen to let me tag along that would be grouse!
jamie00091
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Stix » 07 Jul 2018, 8:30 pm

jamie00091 wrote:Gday fellas
Growing up did a lot of shooting with my pa on his property in vic back in the day and when he dropped off the perch didnt have a lot to do with it for 12 years or so.

Wondering if anyone would be interested in letting me come out with them for a whistle or spotlighting. Was only a young fella when i used to get out and want to get a bit more experience chasing foxes. Noone i know have their license or interested in pest control so if anyone was keen to let me tag along that would be grouse!

People might shy away from giving you an invite...my guess is because as dodgy as blind internet dating is, blind internet dating with guns could be fraught many dangers... :unknown:

Id consider to take you out...but only after getting to know you over a decent period of time.

We hunters have way too much to loose to risk it all on a potential crazy...
Would you let anyone move into your house if they asked you over the internet...? (Thats a rhetorical question to aid your understanding in where im coming from).

Join a club, get to know people, mingle in the circles you want to be a part of, get involved in forums like this...hell, even try & get your firearms licence would better your chances & help reassure people (if you dont already have it...!!! :thumbsup:).

It could be worth your while, i mean i need a foxing partner, someone who's senses dont dissappear in favour of accelerator heavy crazy trigger happy nutso sh1tstorm when a set of eyes appear...

Maybe introduce yourself in the "introduce yourself thread" (do as i say, not as i do--i didnt do it).
Let people get to know you in that thread first--how old you are...bla bla...

Sorry if i come accross blunt...i was going to out chasing the red skins this werkend but the weather is the fukn pits-& im stuck here in the brick village... :violin:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Diddums » 15 Jul 2018, 12:32 am

Caught this fella munching on a lamb this afternoon.
Attach44080_20180715_003006.jpg
Attach44080_20180715_003006.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 9063 times

Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 21 Jul 2018, 4:24 pm

20180721_155136.jpg
20180721_155136.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 9000 times

One I called in and shot with the little 17hmr this morning
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 21 Jul 2018, 4:36 pm

Thats a nice lookin fox pete...!! :thumbsup:
Ya keep his clothes...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 21 Jul 2018, 5:19 pm

Yep
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Jul 2018, 7:09 pm

Very nice Pete. Blood nice pic too.

Did u whistle him in?
Last edited by Oldbloke on 21 Jul 2018, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 21 Jul 2018, 7:50 pm

Yeah nice one Pete
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 21 Jul 2018, 7:54 pm

Sexy photo .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Jul 2018, 8:52 pm

Hey DIDDUMS, did he have a bit of a right hide leg ??
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 21 Jul 2018, 10:01 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Very nice Pete. Blood nice pic too.

Did u whistle him in?

Old bloke...
Pete said he called him in...so obviously he must have had his mobile number...!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 22 Jul 2018, 6:27 am

Used a homemade tenterfeild
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Cooper » 22 Jul 2018, 8:41 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (477.64 KiB) Viewed 8748 times

Got this fox awhile ago. But it was the first with my 6.5 Creedmoor. I was using the 143 ELD-X. Usually the 204 ruger is my go to Fox calibre. Although I I have got a fair few with the 12 gauge shot gun.

This was a bit of weird one as my two whippets flushed this fox out from behind the shed. It was 2.30 pm in the afternoon. I raced in to grab a gun and the Creedmoor happened to be the easiest to grab out of the safe and I knew exactly which box of ammo to grab as I had been doing load development the day prior.

As I raced into the house. I yelled at the wife letting her know that there was Fox outside and it was probably in the horse paddock. By the time I got ready with the gun my wife had seen walk through the horse paddock and it was behind the dam wall in the front paddock.

I flipped the bi pod out and was on the deck of the house waiting for the fox to pop out from behind the dam wall. The next thing I knew the Fox popped out from behind the dam wall and went straight to the dam for a drink. I reckon the fox must have been a bit crook or something. I didn't waste anytime. Laying down on the deck of the house with 6.5 Creedmoor and pulled the trigger before he left the edge of the dam.

The 143 ELD-X seemed to do its job pretty good. He dropped dead on the spot. Left a fair hole in his side.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Jul 2018, 1:03 pm

If he wasn't crook he is now
Good shot mate another pest down
Member-Deleted

Post by bigpete » 22 Jul 2018, 2:18 pm

20180722_134707.jpg
Tired after this mornings hunt with my 17
20180722_134707.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 8929 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 22 Jul 2018, 5:39 pm

^ At least you got SOMETHING last night!!! I was at my relos on 600 acres and didn't get the opportunity to take even one fox. A hare was it for the whole night.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 22 Jul 2018, 7:01 pm

You mean this morning.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 22 Jul 2018, 7:16 pm

Good to see a vast improvement on the hair style from last we saw it Pete...! :lol: :sarcasm:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Diddums » 06 Aug 2018, 7:21 am

RoginaJack wrote:Hey DIDDUMS, did he have a bit of a right hide leg ??

Sorry, don't quite get what you mean.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control