Bug deflectors ?

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Bug deflectors ?

Post by Die Judicii » 24 May 2018, 8:22 pm

Has any-one here had experience with "bug deflectors" ?

The kind that cover the width of yer bonnet (or for that matter the same as you see on most Kennys, Macks, Western Stars etc)

Do they have any real influence over the bugs trajectory ?

Would they also help deflect fine chips/gravel ?
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Bug deflectors ?

Post by Supaduke » 25 May 2018, 6:23 am

Make sure it's a see through deflector. Otherwise you may find yourself pinged for obstructed vision. And in many years in transport , they have really fallen by the wayside, not many use them anymore. I never noticed any appreciable difference with or without one.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Westaussieguy » 26 May 2018, 12:30 am

I spent 10 yrs driving 600 km a day on country roads with a BF Falcon ute and I would go through a wind screen washer bowl (2 lts) every couple of days. I mounted a bug deflector on the smart bar and I only had to refill the bowl once a week or more. The biggest improvement was the amount of windscreens I went through, from one a year from chips and pitting to one every three years, discounting big rocks and birds of course. I had one on my GQ patrol and had the same result.
Best $90.00 investment I ever made. Your results may vary.
Westaussieguy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 27 May 2018, 12:08 am

Westaussieguy wrote:I spent 10 yrs driving 600 km a day on country roads with a BF Falcon ute and I would go through a wind screen washer bowl (2 lts) every couple of days. I mounted a bug deflector on the smart bar and I only had to refill the bowl once a week or more. The biggest improvement was the amount of windscreens I went through, from one a year from chips and pitting to one every three years, discounting big rocks and birds of course. I had one on my GQ patrol and had the same result.

Thanks Bloke,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that's encouraging.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jun 2018, 12:19 pm

Westaussieguy wrote:I spent 10 yrs driving 600 km a day on country roads with a BF Falcon ute and I would go through a wind screen washer bowl (2 lts) every couple of days. I mounted a bug deflector on the smart bar and I only had to refill the bowl once a week or more. The biggest improvement was the amount of windscreens I went through, from one a year from chips and pitting to one every three years, discounting big rocks and birds of course. I had one on my GQ patrol and had the same result.

Same here, I use a transparent green one, mounted on the Tuff bar on my ute, it definitely keeps the windscreen cleaner.
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Jul 2018, 8:51 pm

Well I fitted mine a month and a bit ago.
I know it's not full on bug season yet, but I haven't had to wash any bugs off the screen yet,,, only mud and dust.

So the jury was still out,,,,,, until that is, the other night.
Was driving and spotted a moth in the driving lights, and it looked as tho it was gonna kamakazi into the windscreen.

When about a metre away from the bullbar it suddenly did a "roller coaster" upwards, and went straight over the roof.
No where near hitting the windscreen.

So I guess it really does work. :thumbsup:

The real test will come when summer eventually arrives.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 24 Jul 2018, 9:25 pm

Noticed any increase in fuel consumption?
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Jul 2018, 10:39 pm

Wombat wrote:Noticed any increase in fuel consumption?

Wasn't even thinking about the possibility, but seeing as you've raised the point,,,,,,,,, I don't think so.
If there is, it would be minimal.
:thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 25 Jul 2018, 10:45 pm

Die Judicii wrote:

Wasn't even thinking about the possibility, but seeing as you've raised the point,,,,,,,,, I don't think so.

Probably not on a Ute , but a bloke with a Patrol wagon I used to work with noticed a big rise.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Jul 2018, 9:42 am

Wombat wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:

Probably not on a Ute , but a bloke with a Patrol wagon I used to work with noticed a big rise.

Really ?
They are only a very small "wing" when compared to the incline and surface area of the windscreen itself.
I can't imagine how just the bug deflector would have much influence over and above the windscreen that has been there all along.

Surely there must have been another causative factor,,,,,,,,,, clogged air filter, crook injector/s, low quality fuel, etc. ???

edited,,,, to include "Patrol Wagon" ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 26 Jul 2018, 7:10 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Really ?
They are only a very small "wing" when compared to the incline and surface area of the windscreen itself.
I can't imagine how just the bug deflector would have much influence over and above the windscreen that has been there all along.

Surely there must have been another causative factor,,,,,,,,,, clogged air filter, crook injector/s, low quality fuel, etc. ???

Yes.Why is that funny? The aerodynamics of Utes and wagons are very different. I'm not going to bother trying to explain how to you, but wagons have less drag- even 4wd ones.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Jul 2018, 9:51 am

Wombat wrote:

Yes.Why is that funny? The aerodynamics of Utes and wagons are very different. I'm not going to bother trying to explain how to you, but wagons have less drag- even 4wd ones.[/quote]

I was not laughing at what you say about the aerodynamics,,,,,,,, far from it.

What I was doing was having a cheap rse shot at Nissan, that's all.

Cheers Mate :drinks:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 27 Jul 2018, 6:19 pm

Fair enough. Sorry I got the wrong end of the stick :drinks:
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 27 Jul 2018, 10:31 pm

What's the last thing that goes through a bug's mind when it hits your windscreen ?

It's arse.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel