Gun safe weight without bolt down (QLD) - adding weight?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Gun safe weight without bolt down (QLD) - adding weight?

Post by Antie » 11 Jul 2013, 9:27 am

Howdy,

I've come across a good deal for a gun safe that's 143kg, which I know is just under the number of 150kg for not having to bolt it down.

Question is... Can I add some weight to take it over the limit? How do the police check, or how do I prove it weights enough?
Antie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Gun safe weight without bolt down (QLD) - adding weight?

Post by Spooner » 11 Jul 2013, 9:35 am

I've read of people welding/bolting additional weight inside to bring their gun safe up to spec. Not sure of the official word on whether or not that's ok though?

Best call your local firearms registry (or whatever its called in QLD).

If you can, I'd just bolt it in anyway for max security for your firearms.
Spooner
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Lorgar » 11 Jul 2013, 9:44 am

Everything I've ever read clearly states "150kg when empty".

I've also seen plenty of people say they "bolt weight in and you should be fine". 'Should' being the key word there.

As you say, obviously a copper isn't going to have a set of scales and pop your safe up onto it to check the weight. But it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that they know a few of the weights of the more popular brands.

I reckon you'll have a tough time explaining to a cop that everything's ok because you bolted in some extra weight. The rules are pretty clear on the weight "when empty" in my eyes. The phrase "when empty" isn't really open to interpretation...

Personally I wouldn't risk it. Either get one that covers the 150kg+ limit when empty, or just bolt it it.

If you can, best to bolt it in regardless for added security.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Antie » 11 Jul 2013, 10:02 am

Sounds like the safe option Lorgar. If I end up buying the 143kg one I'll find somewhere to bolt it in.

Am I the only one who thinks it's stupid they make a safe 7kg under the limit? :x
Antie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tinked » 11 Jul 2013, 1:48 pm

You're not the only one :D

But yeah, you'd be pissed for failing a storage inspection for being just 7kg under :(
Tinked
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by tom_jellie » 30 Jul 2018, 5:00 pm

what if you welded an 80kg safe to a steel work bench that weighed in at about 400kg? but the bench isn't bolted down...

is the safe then secure enough or not?
tom_jellie
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Jul 2018, 8:11 pm

I know its not advisable to "assume" but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

One would assume that "when empty" would mean, when All Firearms + Ammo have been removed.

Also, one would assume that (if the safe is structurally up to spec,) and a 4" slab of steel has been properly welded into it, it then becomes as one, with the safe itself, and should theoretically therefore pass an inspection.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 30 Jul 2018, 9:17 pm

If, as in the example given above, you have welded in or otherwise permanently attached an additional weight, surely the burden of proof would rest on police to show that the safe was not less than 150kg when emptied of its contents.
Their evidence would have to be a validated measurement of that weight as indicated on a NATA certified scale?
Allege it, prove it.
And, no sir, in the interest of my physical wellbeing I can not and will not assist you to move it.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Andrew1au » 31 Jul 2018, 9:46 am

Weld a sheet of steel on the back. No rules states that the safe can’t be home made. It will give you the weight, without affecting the looks and internal storage.
.300 Win Mag, Howa 1500 MDT ESS
.223, Remington 783
7.62x54, 1944 BRNO K98k Mauser
6.5x55, 1942 Swedish Mauser
22lr/22mag, Taurus Circut Judge (cat a in QLD :P)
.22lr, Mossberg plinkster
Plus a couple air rifles.

Cat H
9mm, Taurus PT99
Andrew1au
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 31 Jul 2018, 10:08 am

tom_jellie wrote:what if you welded an 80kg safe to a steel work bench that weighed in at about 400kg? but the bench isn't bolted down...

is the safe then secure enough or not?

I can't remember the exact wording but I seem to remember a line in either the regs or act(qld) that stated a safe under 150kg must be secured to a permanent structure. Although the police can use their discretion and accept other measures they deem to provide equal security. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 31 Jul 2018, 3:21 pm

Personally, to avoid a lot of worry during inspection, I'd bolt any safe down. just might make it a tad harder for the tug and rip it out stealers. :D
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 01 Aug 2018, 3:37 pm

If its 143kg, the coppers. Ant move it.

Why dont you cut off some buts and bolt thread off the dynabolts and glue them into place?

This is not advice in anyway......
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Aug 2018, 12:13 pm

If you are unable to bolt the safe down, welding or bolting additional material to it to make it weigh 150kg or more, (SHOULD) suffice, if it weighs 150 kg when empty, as far as section 94 5 (b) (ii) of the QLD Weapons Regs is concerned it does not require to be fixed to a structure, 94 5 (b) (ii)"if the container weighs less than 150kg—be securely fixed to the frame or floor of a permanent building."
Member-Deleted

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment