hydro dipping rifle stock

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

hydro dipping rifle stock

Post by taffy4x4 » 29 Jul 2018, 5:40 pm

Hi Guys, I have an old Lakefield L/H .22 that has a very average stock, I've taken the stock back to bare wood and thought about getting it hydro dipped, unfortunately the quotes I got were between $350 and $500 which is a lot more than the gun is worth. Plan B was to use a spray on ute bed liner which should give a grippy rubberised sort of finish. If anyone can suggest other options that would be great.
Cheers.
Life is not a test drive
taffy4x4
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: hydro dipping rifle stock

Post by 2freeq » 29 Jul 2018, 6:22 pm

You can hydro dip it at home. Its $170 for a kit with everything you need.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cracker » 29 Jul 2018, 9:35 pm

why not just use linseed oil or tru oil?
or stain it a really dark colour and oil it if its got lots of imperfections
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 30 Jul 2018, 9:33 am

Dont used linseed oil it is sticky s**t. Use a pure oil a few times as well before the Tru oil as that has some poly eurothane that will seal the wood. Try a furniture grade oil or some Tung oil for first coat.

Any links to this home hydo kit?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gaznazdiak » 30 Jul 2018, 12:32 pm

Danish oil, rubbed in with wet and dry paper, allowed to go tacky, wiped off with a cloth dampened with the same, let set, repeat.
Hardens the wood, looks fine.
All depends on the finish you're after, but thaths my favourite.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 30 Jul 2018, 1:12 pm

Danish oil, rubbed in with wet and dry paper, allowed to go tacky, wiped off with a cloth dampened with the same, let set, repeat.
Hardens the wood, looks fine.
All depends on the finish you're after, but that's my favourite.

Damn, double posted.
It's probably as obvious as dogs balls on a duck, but how do I delete a post I've somehow posted twice?
Last edited by Gaznazdiak on 30 Jul 2018, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Andrew1au » 30 Jul 2018, 1:16 pm

I have used linseed oil a few times. Comes up great. Suits older style rifles. I used it on a couple mid 40’s mausers I have. Look like new.
.300 Win Mag, Howa 1500 MDT ESS
.223, Remington 783
7.62x54, 1944 BRNO K98k Mauser
6.5x55, 1942 Swedish Mauser
22lr/22mag, Taurus Circut Judge (cat a in QLD :P)
.22lr, Mossberg plinkster
Plus a couple air rifles.

Cat H
9mm, Taurus PT99
Andrew1au
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 30 Jul 2018, 3:59 pm

Gaz I have also used the Danish Oil as well. Like you say it also contains a certain amount of sealant a great oil gives a good colour but again I think it should be used as the later applications. I like to get the other oils into the wood first they raise the grain which can be taken back with fine wet and dry then finish with the Danish oil. The wax's can also be used to finish and a very final layer of Silicon oil can also be used to great effect.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by 2freeq » 30 Jul 2018, 4:37 pm

sungazer wrote:Any links to this home hydo kit?

https://www.aussiedipkits.com.au/index.php/shop/
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 30 Jul 2018, 5:23 pm

pity your in Qld, mate of mine in Goulburn does them for $230 for gloss and $250 matte finish.
https://www.facebook.com/Liquidskinz-Hy ... 591913049/
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by taffy4x4 » 30 Jul 2018, 6:47 pm

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll have to look into the DIY kit, I'm sure her indoors won't mind if I use the bath to try it out
Life is not a test drive
taffy4x4
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Aug 2018, 7:44 pm

Boiled linseed oil is traditional and does a great job. I did an old shotgun & was very happy with the result. Biggest mistakeS are not finishing the stock correctly first and using too much oil. I followed this blokes recommendations.

https://youtu.be/eEBBc7O8nYQ
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 01 Aug 2018, 8:15 pm

sungazer wrote:Gaz I have also used the Danish Oil as well. Like you say it also contains a certain amount of sealant a great oil gives a good colour but again I think it should be used as the later applications. I like to get the other oils into the wood first they raise the grain which can be taken back with fine wet and dry then finish with the Danish oil. The wax's can also be used to finish and a very final layer of Silicon oil can also be used to great effect.

You're quite right, the wet rub does leave a silky finish but if left matt does tend to diminish the contrast in the grain.

I renovated a 1940s chest of drawers for one of my nieces using just the Danish.
After letting a thick coat dry I wet rubbed it with 2000 paper, wiped it down and gave it another thick coat, rubbed that again etc.
15 coats later it looked like it had a sheet of glass on top. The pic doesn't really do it justice.
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg (705.18 KiB) Viewed 4762 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Ragnorrk » 08 May 2022, 12:38 am

taffy4x4 wrote:Hi Guys, I have an old Lakefield L/H .22 that has a very average stock, I've taken the stock back to bare wood and thought about getting it hydro dipped, unfortunately the quotes I got were between $350 and $500 which is a lot more than the gun is worth. Plan B was to use a spray on ute bed liner which should give a grippy rubberized sort of finish. If anyone can suggest other options that would be great.
Cheers.

You can achieve a similar effect (though not in the same pattern; it's more of an abstract finish) by filling a trash can with water, sprinkling paint on top, and dipping an object in the trash can. An "Easter egg" finish is fairly common on model rockets. Here's an illustration.
Ragnorrk
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Return to Gunsmithing