Buying a shotgun - lever or straight pull

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Buying a shotgun - lever or straight pull

Post by Diddums » 02 Aug 2018, 11:37 pm

Im looking at getting a shotty and im tossing up between a lever or a straight pull.
Anyone have any input/ advice.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Buying a shotgun - lever or straight pull

Post by keenstalking22 » 03 Aug 2018, 1:05 am

Well ill give you my input on my SHS STP 12, originally I went in looking for a lever action, but the guy pointed me in the direction of the new straight pulls telling me the levers are garbage and the straight pulls are the future, and with all the s**t stories I get of my friends lever actions I said what do I have to lose, it handled well so I went home with one.

And well, the thing just... works. It isnt overly pleasant, but for the price if the thing works damn well then id call it a good purchase. I have yet to encounter the action screwing up at all, though I have only fired it just about 150-200 times. I was scared that the action was going to be slower since you have to take your hand away from the grip and trigger, but I was wrong. The thing is fast and easy to use. The only complaint I have is the bolt knob comes loose easy, I nearly had a heart attack since I dropped it in the mud and nearly lost the damn thing. Was gonna glue it but I was thinking what if I want to try one of aftermarket ones.

If you have any questions about it ill try answer.
keenstalking22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Growler » 03 Aug 2018, 5:07 am

keenstalking22 wrote: The only complaint I have is the bolt knob comes loose easy, I nearly had a heart attack since I dropped it in the mud and nearly lost the damn thing. Was gonna glue it but I was thinking what if I want to try one of aftermarket ones.

Instead of glue can you use locktite assuming its got a thread?
Just the necessity
Growler
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Diddums » 03 Aug 2018, 8:04 am

keenstalking22 wrote:Well ill give you my input on my SHS STP 12, originally I went in looking for a lever action, but the guy pointed me in the direction of the new straight pulls telling me the levers are garbage and the straight pulls are the future, and with all the s**t stories I get of my friends lever actions I said what do I have to lose, it handled well so I went home with one.

And well, the thing just... works. It isnt overly pleasant, but for the price if the thing works damn well then id call it a good purchase. I have yet to encounter the action screwing up at all, though I have only fired it just about 150-200 times. I was scared that the action was going to be slower since you have to take your hand away from the grip and trigger, but I was wrong. The thing is fast and easy to use. The only complaint I have is the bolt knob comes loose easy, I nearly had a heart attack since I dropped it in the mud and nearly lost the damn thing. Was gonna glue it but I was thinking what if I want to try one of aftermarket ones.

I was looking ar getting one of these.
I saw s review that pointed out that they use a lot of plastic parts for the action, is that the case.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 03 Aug 2018, 10:41 am

I was in the same boat as you recently and went with the Adler, the straight pulls looked a little slow and awkward.....after getting the Adler I cant see what all the fuss is about its smooth and not at all stiff to reload at all which was my biggest fear
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by winton » 03 Aug 2018, 1:29 pm

Jon79 wrote:after getting the Adler I cant see what all the fuss is about its smooth and not at all stiff to reload at all which was my biggest fear

Have they improved it already?

My adler was one of the very first and its hard on the knuckles.

Only after 500 shots did it loosen up.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by keenstalking22 » 03 Aug 2018, 1:59 pm

Growler wrote:
keenstalking22 wrote: The only complaint I have is the bolt knob comes loose easy, I nearly had a heart attack since I dropped it in the mud and nearly lost the damn thing. Was gonna glue it but I was thinking what if I want to try one of aftermarket ones.

Instead of glue can you use locktite assuming its got a thread?

It is threaded
keenstalking22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by keenstalking22 » 03 Aug 2018, 2:17 pm

Diddums wrote:
keenstalking22 wrote:Well ill give you my input on my SHS STP 12, originally I went in looking for a lever action, but the guy pointed me in the direction of the new straight pulls telling me the levers are garbage and the straight pulls are the future, and with all the s**t stories I get of my friends lever actions I said what do I have to lose, it handled well so I went home with one.

I was looking ar getting one of these.
I saw s review that pointed out that they use a lot of plastic parts for the action, is that the case.

It looks all metal to me, but ill tell you I have not completely dug into it and pulled it apart yet. It looks a little more a pain in the ass than your regular bolt action. I will tell you the trigger guard is polymer unfortunately but it doesnt feel terribly weak or anything so im not fussed with it. Also I dont want to off put anyone from the lever actions, I dont own one so I cant call them bad. Im just saying this thing works so far.
keenstalking22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Diddums » 04 Aug 2018, 1:18 am

I'm hoping to pickup a Dickinson T1000 tomorrow but I can't find bigger all on the net about them.
Anyone have one or have experience with one.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Homer » 04 Aug 2018, 10:15 am

G'Day Fella's,

Diddums, if the present legal case on the importation ban of Verney-Carron (V-C), "Veloce' shotguns, is won by the importer, they may be an even better option.
Here's a link; http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-30/p ... ns/9807790

The V-C "Speedline" centrefire rifle was approved for importation, several years ago now, so this (Veloce) will be interesting.

Hope that helps

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by scoobs » 04 Aug 2018, 12:12 pm

winton wrote:
Jon79 wrote:after getting the Adler I cant see what all the fuss is about its smooth and not at all stiff to reload at all which was my biggest fear

mine was fairly rough on the knuckles. but i paracorded the lever which helped. plus i had it apart and used a peice of emery tape and polishing wheel on a dremel and removed all the burrs and machining marks off everything that contacts inside. muuuch better now
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Aug 2018, 4:34 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: semi, semi automatic :lol:
Shoebridge & Lee would be far better concentrating on the 230 odd people who are killed on the job annually or the 500 or so from asbestos related disease or the 1225 killed on the roads last year. Perhaps just ban all fast vehicals that do more than 120kph.

A pair of total idiots.

What are the total number of firearm deaths by licences owners not counting suicide in Australia, perhaps 10 PA?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cracker » 04 Aug 2018, 7:36 pm

scoobs wrote:
winton wrote:

mine was fairly rough on the knuckles. but i paracorded the lever which helped. plus i had it apart and used a peice of emery tape and polishing wheel on a dremel and removed all the burrs and machining marks off everything that contacts inside. muuuch better now

yeah same detail i did to mine, they are cheap for a reason but work well enough.
clean up the milling makrs, wrap the lever, spray the action with some lithium grease and use it! they loosen up pretty dam well.
does it run like a pump action, well no not even close, but its not bad.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Diddums » 04 Aug 2018, 7:56 pm

I picked up the T1000 today, but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.
My initial impressions are good.
I'll post a review once I have a chance to use it a bit since theres nothing around about them.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ponkychonk » 04 Aug 2018, 9:46 pm

Levers are more fun, straight pulls are much better guns. Also, straight pulls have no mag restrictions (at least not in my State)
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by scoobs » 04 Aug 2018, 9:46 pm

i have a mates t1000 in the safe. quite a nice shotty, and its currently chockers full of red dust from our last trip pigging out west and still cycles flawlessly. i still prefer my lever action, but if i was to get a straight pull thats the one i would be going with.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cracker » 05 Aug 2018, 12:25 am

ponkychonk wrote:Levers are more fun, straight pulls are much better guns. Also, straight pulls have no mag restrictions (at least not in my State)

well straight pull is basically a broken semi auto.. or pump with the action bar in the wrong place. so is it a better gun...not sure.
it is a a more simple design then a lever gun... so is it better... id say so it just has to slide backwards, but your hand ends up off the action...
keep in mind >
the lever action shotgun was quickly replaced by the pump and then the semi auto.... so go figure
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by scoobs » 05 Aug 2018, 8:20 am

the better gun comes down to personal preference. i have a few mates that swear by straight pull, and some that prefer to jump on the back of my ute with my adler.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Diddums » 05 Aug 2018, 8:48 pm

I put 10 rounds through it tonight just to try it and I'm pretty happy.
I did have the bolt stick twice but I read somewhere that the Dickinson's dont like winchester ammo so I'm not too worried.
Super easy to cycle, even from the shoulder.
Can't wait to actually have a proper go at it, when I do I'll put up a review.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.