Best rifle cleaning rod

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Best rifle cleaning rod

Post by Roo farmer » 05 Aug 2018, 11:02 pm

What does everyone reckon is the best bet for a cleaning rod?

Obviously one piece is the way to go.

What is the best out of stainless steel or nylon coated steel or carbon fibre?

Will a stainless rod wear the bore?
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Best rifle cleaning rod

Post by Stix » 06 Aug 2018, 12:30 am

Ive heard to steer clear of stainless rods due to potential bore damage.
But then others say different.

I do like to push tight patches down the bore so i dont use ss for that reason (sometimes go a touch too tight & slight bow the rod).

I use Dewey coated rods.

Im not saying any rods are better than any others, thats just what i use & pretty happy with them.

Im interested to hear others opinions/experiences

What do you use roo frmr...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Roo farmer » 06 Aug 2018, 7:20 am

I use a stainless steel rod, but it does concern me. I figure they must make the nylon coated ones for a reason. But maybe the reason is just to make people think that the stainless steel ones are no good?

I'm planning to buy a second one just so I can leave the brush screwed on one and the jag screwed on the other, and thought I would ask the question.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 06 Aug 2018, 8:24 am

I've used a ss rod for years. As the rod has to be thinner than the barrel to fit down it I can't see it damaging the barrel unless the user is doing some fairly weird s@#t with it. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 06 Aug 2018, 8:28 am

I like the stainless they tend to be a larger diameter than the coated ones which makes them less prone to bowing. If you get a coated one it may not last as long as the coating comes off pretty easily. I really dont think the occasional touch of a flat surface such as the rod can damage your barrel. use a good Rod guide to keep it centered.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by TheDude » 06 Aug 2018, 8:32 am

I use Tipton carbon fiber rods. Been happy with them. Gotta grab a 17-20 cal one to add to the collection for my next planned acquisition
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 06 Aug 2018, 5:54 pm

i bought a stainless rod, but after reading a few articles about damaging bore/throught , i use "spika" carbon fibre and bore guides." LOWEY" products in south oz do bore guides for most popular stuff, and bolt "gaurds" that allow you to easily de-cock the bolt and keep it safe.do a google search and check out their website and support a ozzie family owned business :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 07 Aug 2018, 11:38 am

I use a coated rod at present after my carbon fibre rod split. No fault of the rod, was my fault.
The thought of stainless steel rod up the barrel doesn’t seem right to me, however I am sure they wouldn’t sell them if they were damaging.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 07 Aug 2018, 12:03 pm

JimTom wrote: The thought of stainless steel rod up the barrel doesn’t seem right to me, however I am sure they wouldn’t sell them if they were damaging.

If they were prone to damaging the bore, why would bench-rest shooters use them?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 07 Aug 2018, 12:06 pm

No1_49er wrote:
JimTom wrote: The thought of stainless steel rod up the barrel doesn’t seem right to me, however I am sure they wouldn’t sell them if they were damaging.

If they were prone to damaging the bore, why would bench-rest shooters use them?

And all the Target rifle and F class shooters which is a much larger group in Aus.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by brett1868 » 07 Aug 2018, 1:35 pm

I use stainless steel but insulate them with heat shrink so I have the best of both worlds. Insulation wears out then peel it off and replace with new heat shrink. Carbon is what diamonds are made of and will damage a barrel faster compared to stainless ones, not that I’ve ever seen a barrel damaged by a cleaning rod in 40+ yrs.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 07 Aug 2018, 4:06 pm

No1_49er wrote:

That’s pretty much what I said mate. Just said it doesn’t feel right to me however they wouldn’t be available if they caused damage.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Aug 2018, 6:05 pm

I use SS and coated and carbon fiber, they all seem to do the job, i also use a bore guide, as for damage who knows, all I know is they still shoot fine so all good to me (so many theories on what's good and bad I just don't GAF I just use what I have and be happy with it), way too much theory and not enough actual science as too whether this is better or that is better - all I know is I will keep using what I have and be happy doing so. :unknown:

All I do know is the Carbon Fibre in 17cal is one bendy ****** and have had it replaced as it crapped out at the handle after the first use. :thumbsdown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigrich » 07 Aug 2018, 6:13 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I use SS and coated and carbon fiber, they all seem to do the job, i also use a bore guide, as for damage who knows, all I know is they still shoot fine so all good to me (so many theories on what's good and bad I just don't GAF I just use what I have and be happy with it), way too much theory and not enough actual science as too whether this is better or that is better - all I know is I will keep using what I have and be happy doing so. :unknown:

All I do know is the Carbon Fibre in 17cal is one bendy ****** and have had it replaced as it crapped out at the handle after the first use. :thumbsdown:

yup, it's all too easy to overthink stuff hey ! i'm a bit OCD about looking after my cars/tools/favorite toys, i'm using bore guides on all my rifles as this probably stops any potential wear/damage. i own all three types of rods, if i could get a good qaulity plastic coated i'd probably stick with that :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 07 Aug 2018, 8:06 pm

sungazer wrote:
No1_49er wrote:

And all the Target rifle and F class shooters which is a much larger group in Aus.

There is quite a bit of hoohaa on the net with many claimed gunsmith experts warning against using them due to the damage they can allegedly cause...ive seen a lot of it & i gather maybe jimtom has too, hence why he's asking. :)

My understanding is they are preffered due to being stiffer...hence less likely to bend as sungazer has mentioned in his earlier post.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 07 Aug 2018, 8:15 pm

I haven't seen any gunsmiths advising against one piece stainless. I have seen some advice on making sure the jag is flush with the rod some sanding to the jag to ensure a good fit. One guy even went to the extent of having a rod for each jag which he sanded and then locktight on. Extreme IMHO
Lots of advice against the multi-piece rods. got to agree with that from experience I had one and it broke in several places. Dont think I damaged the bore when it did brake though, but never again.

Brett has a pretty good solution with the heat shrink on SS. The bought covered ones I dont think have a very good rod underneath. I have one but dont use it much and the covering is coming off. I think some solvents may really eat into the covering as well. like carby cleaner or brake cleaner they eat plastic and rubber and goo.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by lenstanjim » 07 Aug 2018, 10:01 pm

Good discussion thanks. I just bought a new cleaning kit for a .223. It has a muzzle guard in the box but where does the guard go exactly?
lenstanjim
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 08 Aug 2018, 5:32 am

I have a gun slick one piece rod and it appears to have some plastic coating on it. Also ahole my jags are slightly bigger I usually take them off before pulling the rod back through barrel.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Roo farmer » 08 Aug 2018, 7:56 am

bigrich wrote:i bought a stainless rod, but after reading a few articles about damaging bore/throught , i use "spika" carbon fibre and bore guides." LOWEY" products in south oz do bore guides for most popular stuff, and bolt "gaurds" that allow you to easily de-cock the bolt and keep it safe.do a google search and check out their website and support a ozzie family owned business :thumbsup:

I contacted Lowey, and they don't make bore guides for centrefire rifles at this stage.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 08 Aug 2018, 8:48 am

Roo farmer wrote:
bigrich wrote:i bought a stainless rod, but after reading a few articles about damaging bore/throught , i use "spika" carbon fibre and bore guides." LOWEY" products in south oz do bore guides for most popular stuff, and bolt "gaurds" that allow you to easily de-cock the bolt and keep it safe.do a google search and check out their website and support a ozzie family owned business :thumbsup:

I contacted Lowey, and they don't make bore guides for centrefire rifles at this stage.

Yup, you’re right. I forgot that fact. I use the “possum hollow “ ones in my 70 Winchester and Mausers. Good guides out of materials that aren’t affected by solvent. Would buy local products if I could
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 08 Aug 2018, 12:54 pm

I have some Rod Guides / bore Guides made out of aluminum I often wonder if some of the stuff on the Rod is from the rod rubbing inside the guide. I nearly always give the rod a wipe between patches. Always has some colour on the patch used to clean the rod.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment