Show us your Rimfire Groups!

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Show us your Rimfire Groups!

Post by bigrich » 10 Apr 2018, 4:28 am

normally after about 9-10 shots my 22's seem settled for a shooting session. but as for the barrel wearing in, had a weihrauch 22 mag, after about 500 rounds it settled on cci 40gr hp's and used to group 1 " at 100. that's typical of a lot of rimfires i'm told.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 09 Aug 2018, 8:19 pm

1967 Voere, standard two stage trigger. Cheap scope. 5 shot groups. Pulled one shot Eley club. Love it.
Attachments
20180730_152757.jpg
@50yrds
20180730_152757.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 7986 times
20180730_152726.jpg
@50yrds
20180730_152726.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 7986 times
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 10 Aug 2018, 5:46 pm

it's just wearing in mate . :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 10 Aug 2018, 6:29 pm

Wow...thats just great stuff Stoney...!!!!!

(I did reply to this the night you put it up but dont know what happened to it...?...(my smart phone must have forgotten it was smart...)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stoney » 10 Aug 2018, 7:53 pm

Stix wrote:Wow...thats just great stuff Stoney...!!!!!

(I did reply to this the night you put it up but dont know what happened to it...?...(my smart phone must have forgotten it was smart...)

Thanks Stix.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 11 Aug 2018, 7:04 am

damn it stoney , the battle of the german rimfires is on ! :lol: got some more eley sub hp's and some club i'm gunna try at ripley today :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 12 Aug 2018, 5:40 pm

bigrich wrote:damn it stoney , the battle of the german rimfires is on ! :lol: got some more eley sub hp's and some club i'm gunna try at ripley today :thumbsup:

No worries bigrich I picked up ANOTHER half a dozen 22lr brands today. I think that now makes 23ish lol. Lucky it's not a beauty contest, your Weihrauch would win hands down over my plain Jane Voere.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 13 Aug 2018, 4:14 pm

Stoney wrote:
bigrich wrote:damn it stoney , the battle of the german rimfires is on ! :lol: got some more eley sub hp's and some club i'm gunna try at ripley today :thumbsup:

No worries bigrich I picked up ANOTHER half a dozen 22lr brands today. I think that now makes 23ish lol. Lucky it's not a beauty contest, your Weihrauch would win hands down over my plain Jane Voere.[/quo

:lol: it's pretty alright, (will look prettier after you checker it :D ) but if it doesn't shoot good i might use it for knocking in tent pegs :lol: as soon as we get a weekend that's not blowing a gale , the german 22 comp is on ! should take the 45-70 out on windy days, doesn't seem to get bothered much by wind :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 30 Aug 2018, 3:08 pm

New Weihrauch at 35m shooting SK Standard Plus and SK Rifle Match 5-shot groups. The sloppy groups were me, not the rifle. :oops:

JMgroups.jpg
JMgroups.jpg (534.56 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Daddybang » 30 Aug 2018, 3:15 pm

Sloppy groups??? :unknown:
My good groups look worse than those!!!!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2018, 4:41 pm

Flyer wrote:New Weihrauch at 35m shooting SK Standard Plus and SK Rifle Match 5-shot groups. The sloppy groups were me, not the rifle. :oops:

JMgroups.jpg

What are you using for point of aim?
I would aim at one of the bottom corners of the square, although a diamond gives a finer aim.
I shoot much better groups when I aim at the corner of a piece of tape rather than at anything larger.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 30 Aug 2018, 4:52 pm

Ah, I was just using the centre of the ring. If I played my part, the rifle would put five shots through one hole. Interestingly here's the same rifle in a different stock using the same ammo, same scope and no other adjustments - the POI has shifted simply by having it sit in another stock. Goes to show how sensitive 22s are to bedding. The sporter stock was not quite as consistent as the other match stock.

Thumbholegroups.jpg
Thumbholegroups.jpg (627.5 KiB) Viewed 7893 times
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Gwion » 30 Aug 2018, 7:34 pm

Shootin' Tex...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Flyer » 31 Aug 2018, 1:14 am

Thanks, Pardner :mrgreen:
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by JimTom » 03 Sep 2018, 3:16 pm

Trying out some old PMC Zapper that I still had, and some CCI Minimags.
Both shot at 50m. Nothing spectacular but thought I would chuck them up anyway.
Attachments
A7DAEA2B-ACDB-4F78-938E-24400C508E03.jpeg
A7DAEA2B-ACDB-4F78-938E-24400C508E03.jpeg (530.03 KiB) Viewed 7849 times
98265930-67B4-4CCE-AE98-0D26923E8DC9.jpeg
98265930-67B4-4CCE-AE98-0D26923E8DC9.jpeg (530.29 KiB) Viewed 7849 times
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 05 Sep 2018, 5:47 pm

got my 1960 made krico back from the smith after a reblue, so it'll be another couple of hundred rounds before it's got a buildup of lead in the barrel again. but the results look good so far. using eley subsonic hp's this is a ten shot group with two flyers :unknown:
Attachments
IMG_E0136[1].JPG
1960 krico, with leupold 3-9x40 rimfire scope
IMG_E0136[1].JPG (1.93 MiB) Viewed 7827 times
IMG_0137[1].JPG
IMG_0137[1].JPG (1.98 MiB) Viewed 7827 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 05 Sep 2018, 6:49 pm

How often to you give your 22 a pull through mate?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2018, 7:05 pm

JimTom wrote:How often to you give your 22 a pull through mate?

For me it depends on the individual rifle. I monitor how many I'm putting through it and when I see accuracy dropping off I clean it. If accuracy improves again then I know I need to clean it a little sooner than that next time. With my bolt-actions anywhere from maybe 800rds to 1500rds. With my lever-actions actions I have to strip the guts out for regular cleaning anyway so I clean the bore while I'm in there - generally around 300rds. Just solvent and patches though, I've never needed as brush in a .22LR bore. Most of the fouling is just lubricant. The chamber needs cleaning more regularly sometimes. I never use a pull-through though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 05 Sep 2018, 7:37 pm

Thanks mate
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 05 Sep 2018, 7:46 pm

JimTom wrote:How often to you give your 22 a pull through mate?

after each shooting session, i push a nylon brush from the chamber end , unscrew at the barrel, refit and push through again. i do this about five times. then a couple of oil lubed patches to get rid of any powder residue and leave a layer of oil to keep rust at bay. this method is to remove powder residue, but not the build-up of lead in the barrel. i only shoot lead projectiles , so there's no copper to worry about. the accuracy out of my 22 lr's has been much better since adopting these rules/methods. i bought a weihrauch hw66 that's only ever shot lead, and now it's over the 1000 round mark, it's starting to make one hole groups with the right ammo. just got a bushnell 6-18x40 rimfire scope for it, hopefully i should be able to tighten my groups a little more. so will post some groups after this coming weekend :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Mar 2019, 11:12 am

So, my youngest son recently turned 12 and got his permits, ( A,B & H ), been taking him into the local range for some trigger time. He's been giving me a run for my money, damn his young eyes! :lol:
The number 4 targets are his, the 5's are mine. He's using a 1982 BRNO No.2 topped with a 6.5 - 20X Leupold, I'm using a 20 year old P94S Sako with a 18.5 - 40X Premier boosted Leupold. Eley Sport ammo in the BRNO and SK standard plus in the Sako. I'm not a benchrest shooter but that's all they are allowed to shoot there. ( .22 rimfire ) Rather warm day with tricky breeze and mirage. Bottom right is for sighters, then 5 shots per target.
25m outdoors.jpg
10 ring is 6mm ( 9 ring is 24.5mm )
25m outdoors.jpg (130.87 KiB) Viewed 7334 times

50m outdoors.jpg
10 ring is 11mm. ( 9 ring is 24.5mm )
50m outdoors.jpg (137 KiB) Viewed 7334 times
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by southwest shooter » 06 Mar 2019, 11:33 am

Crikey , that's some good shooting.
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Mar 2019, 8:41 pm

Gamerancher wrote:So, my youngest son recently turned 12 and got his permits, ( A,B & H ), been taking him into the local range for some trigger time. He's been giving me a run for my money, damn his young eyes! :lol:
The number 4 targets are his, the 5's are mine. He's using a 1982 BRNO No.2 topped with a 6.5 - 20X Leupold, I'm using a 20 year old P94S Sako with a 18.5 - 40X Premier boosted Leupold. Eley Sport ammo in the BRNO and SK standard plus in the Sako. I'm not a benchrest shooter but that's all they are allowed to shoot there. ( .22 rimfire ) Rather warm day with tricky breeze and mirage. Bottom right is for sighters, then 5 shots per target.
25m outdoors.jpg

50m outdoors.jpg

Where did you get your Premier Reticals boosted Leupold? Have you had it a while? What do you think of it?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 07 Mar 2019, 7:22 am

I've got a couple of them. Had them for years, bought second hand.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 07 Mar 2019, 8:45 pm

Nice targets from both of you Gamerancher... :thumbsup:

How long do you think until you loose the P94 to him you rekon...? :unknown: ...( :lol: )
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by BaronBoy » 15 Apr 2019, 10:46 pm

IMG_0275.jpg
IMG_0275.jpg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 7008 times

From last Wednesday. The rifle is a Walther target rifle with a Central sight (no telescopic sights for me please) shooting Ely Club ammunition at 50 metres. Just to be slightly more difficult this was under lights and I was not using a bench rest. The central black area is 10 cm in diameter and I had 36 out of 40 rounds in the black. I was quite pleased, especially as the results the previous week was not something to publicise.
BaronBoy
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2019, 3:28 am

BaronBoy wrote:
IMG_0275.jpg

From last Wednesday. The rifle is a Walther target rifle with a Central sight (no telescopic sights for me please) shooting Ely Club ammunition at 50 metres. Just to be slightly more difficult this was under lights and I was not using a bench rest. The central black area is 10 cm in diameter and I had 36 out of 40 rounds in the black. I was quite pleased, especially as the results the previous week was not something to publicise.

It looks decent. What's a "Central sight" though?
Is Eley Club the ammo that the rifle likes most?
What changed to make one group more right-centric? Is it a six-o'clock hold perhaps with some unwanted cant?
I would recommend offhand shooting if you want to rapidly improve your open-sight shooting.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by BaronBoy » 16 Apr 2019, 1:37 pm

The sight is an aperture or peep sight. Normally there are four targets set out in two rows and for some inexplicable reason the worst of the four is the lower left one but why one group is more right-centric is still work in progress. It may be some unwanted cant although I use the horizontal bar in the foresight ring to try to eliminate that. Offhand shooting is to come. Eley Club is the only ammunition that I have fired so nothing to compare it with so far.
BaronBoy
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 26 Apr 2019, 11:01 pm

Nothing spectacular here... but Impulse bought a CZ 452 a month or 2 ago while browsing Usd Gns..
Came as traded with cheap bushnell 3-9 & rings & in VG cond.

Bit of dickin around & some leverage was required to get it set up...
Turns out the scope was mounted in the cheap rings with a high tech anti recoil system...bloody double sided tape.. :wtf: ..

Took it away Easter weekend along with bottle of acetone & mounted an equally cheap illuminated bdc rimfire scope i also impulse bought Xmas before last.

A quick bore sight at about 25, & shot six, 5 shot groups at 54yds.

Im happy enough with it...its stock standard with a little creep in the heavy trigger, but appears it'll head shoot bunnies with the brick of Win sub hp's sitting in lockup...
2019-04-26 21.57.40.jpg
First 6 groups.
2019-04-26 21.57.40.jpg (360.99 KiB) Viewed 6908 times
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 27 Apr 2019, 2:15 pm

Stix wrote:Turns out the scope was mounted in the cheap rings with a high tech anti recoil system...bloody double sided tape.. :wtf: .

I think the tape is designed to increase the surface area of contact. I don't think it's supposed to prevent the scope slipping under recoil, other than by increasing the contact area for friction. It acts more like a mortar filling the pores between two bricks.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges