Cleaning bore snakes

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Cleaning bore snakes

Post by Yipikaye » 12 Aug 2018, 10:29 am

Hi Guys,

So I've been washing my bore snakes (soaking in nappy San over night) for a while now and throwing them out when they get a bit worn and have had no problems so far.

Last night I noticed my new bore snake (first time washing) had rust come out of it. I know it's not from my Bore so I guess it's some lead that was washed off and stuck in the snake.

Anyway my question, I couldn't wash all the rust out of it so, should I throw it out or is it ok?
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Cleaning bore snakes

Post by scoobs » 12 Aug 2018, 10:46 am

if its just discolored it will be fine.
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 12 Aug 2018, 11:01 am

Yipikaye wrote:Hi Guys,

So I've been washing my bore snakes (soaking in nappy San over night) for a while now and throwing them out when they get a bit worn and have had no problems so far.
Last night I noticed my new bore snake (first time washing) had rust come out of it. I know it's not from my Bore so I guess it's some lead that was washed off and stuck in the snake.
Anyway my question, I couldn't wash all the rust out of it so, should I throw it out or is it ok?

Nappy San; did somebody sh!t in your barrel? :lol:
Mind you, I think bore snakes are the sh!t in your barrel. In the same league (maybe worse) as cleaning without a chamber or muzzle guide.
BTW, lead doesn't rust.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Yipikaye » 12 Aug 2018, 11:07 am

No1_49er wrote:Nappy San; did somebody sh!t in your barrel? :lol:
Mind you, I think bore snakes are the sh!t in your barrel. In the same league (maybe worse) as cleaning without a chamber or muzzle guide.
BTW, lead doesn't rust.

Bore snakes are awesome for my 12G and my 308 where the stock gets in the way of my rod. (folding not allowed in NSW).

Interesting about lead not rusting. Come to think of it I was using some hand loads recently. Only God knows what was in those.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 12 Aug 2018, 11:51 am

Do not use Nappy San its just dried bleach mixed with other soap powders ( worked at Reckitt and Benkiser where it is made for 5 years its called Vanish Nappy san)
as others have said Lead does not rust but on a bore snake there is a small brush section normally made from brass but on some I have seen them made from a cheaper pressed metal may have some tin or steel /iron in that brush .
Bore/snakes are ok if your out in the scrub and finishing up give them a quick wipe out till you can clean them at home .
As you said some stock,s do get in the way YouTube is a good place to find out how to remove them or how to remove the Barrel for a cleaning rod always someone on there showing how easy something is .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Pythonkeeper » 18 Aug 2018, 10:35 pm

To clean your bore snake, put it in an old sock, tie a knot in the end or use a rubber band or zip tie to close the end then throw in the washing machine, comes out clean as a whistle.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 19 Aug 2018, 2:49 pm

By no means am I a fan if bore snakes. Can stand the idea of them. But that's just me
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Yipikaye » 19 Aug 2018, 5:38 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:By no means am I a fan if bore snakes. Can stand the idea of them. But that's just me

What's wrong with them? Just curious if they don't clean as well or something? My bores are clean after 2 passes with the snake. If I run a clean patch or even brush then clean patch it comes out clean still.

Except tight chokes. They sometimes get melted plastic stuck in them but the brush doesn't do much better.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 19 Aug 2018, 6:46 pm

Yipikaye wrote:
AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:By no means am I a fan if bore snakes. Can stand the idea of them. But that's just me

What's wrong with them? Just curious if they don't clean as well or something? My bores are clean after 2 passes with the snake. If I run a clean patch or even brush then clean patch it comes out clean still.

Except tight chokes. They sometimes get melted plastic stuck in them but the brush doesn't do much better.

Just the idea of dragging a fouled up grubby rope repeatedly through a bore. Heck maybe in a war time situation when no one has anytime to do the job properly.

Lets just put it this way you dont wipe you A## with the same piece of toilet paper. Then palm it to the side to use later.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Yipikaye » 19 Aug 2018, 6:50 pm

You can fold the toilet paper over a few times ;)

The patch gets dirty in the first inch or so then it's doing the same thing ;) and it has a lot less surface area
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Aug 2018, 7:00 pm

You have to be very careful with a bore snake as the rope will abrade the chamber or crown when you pull it through at even the slightest angle. You should use a good quality rod with a bore guide. The bore snake reminds me of cleaning my SLR for the Australian Army with the old pull through, it didn't do a good job back then either.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 20 Aug 2018, 10:51 am

SCJ429 wrote:You have to be very careful with a bore snake as the rope will abrade the chamber or crown when you pull it through at even the slightest angle. You should use a good quality rod with a bore guide. The bore snake reminds me of cleaning my SLR for the Australian Army with the old pull through, it didn't do a good job back then either.

I have a few bore snakes. I mainly use the 12g one and the 17cal one in my 17HMR. I can definaltely see what SCJ429 saying about damaging the crown. Particularly the first few times I pulled the 17cal snake through my 17HMR. The guy in gun actually warned me about it also. Because the snake was so tight in the barrel it was pretty easy to try and pull it on a angle. Rather than straight out. With the amount of force I was applying the nylon cord would be like a cheese cutter on the muzzle crown! I thought the bore snake was going to snap!

The 17HMR requires the most cleaning out of any of the guns I own. I find the snake useful as it just fits in the pocket of the Gun bag. But I am aware there are probably better cleaning methods.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Aug 2018, 8:22 pm

I have a bore snake in my hunting kit just in case I get something in the barrel while I am hunting. I once fell over crossing a muddy creek and the barrel got mud up it. The bore snake got me out of trouble and cleaned the mud out. Without it my day was done.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment