Tikka action rebarrelling

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Tikka action rebarrelling

Post by Cal-ApeR » 12 Aug 2018, 4:29 pm

Hi all,

As the name suggests, I'm thinking about rebarelling my tikka t3. Currently I've for a 243 but accuracy is degrading pretty quickly. I think another 100-200 rounds and it'll be over.

I've read that tikka only use one size action and just alter the mags. Theoretically speaking, is it possible to switch out the 243 barrel with a mates near New tikka 270 barrel? I guess I'd need a new mag if it can be done. I'm doubtful but thought I'd see what you guys know about it. I'd be getting a Smith to do the swap anyway.

Cheers.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Tikka action rebarrelling

Post by sungazer » 12 Aug 2018, 4:50 pm

How many rounds do you think you have put through the barrel? It would be easier to go with a rebarrel to a 6.5 creedmore as it is the same case. hence the same boltface. Not sure what the case size is of the 270 I am sure someone else can help with that.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Cal-ApeR » 12 Aug 2018, 5:46 pm

Over 2k would be my guess. It has been passed around the family so give or take a couple of hundred.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mitch » 12 Aug 2018, 6:27 pm

Yes you can do that. Will need to adjust bolt stop and need longer mags obviously
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 12 Aug 2018, 6:38 pm

Stick with the same mag length otherwise the rebarrel will cost you another $200-300 in mag stop and mags. ie: 22-250, 243, 6CM, 260, 6.5CM, 7-08, 308, 338Fed etc

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 12 Aug 2018, 6:52 pm

you cant seat the projies out long enough to get the full benefit from the 270
IMO it would be better to use the same mag length as Chronos said
maybe get another barrel in 6mm and do a 6mm dasher or br sporter :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Cal-ApeR » 12 Aug 2018, 7:01 pm

Chronos wrote:Stick with the same mag length otherwise the rebarrel will cost you another $200-300 in mag stop and mags. ie: 22-250, 243, 6CM, 260, 6.5CM, 7-08, 308, 338Fed etc

Chronos

So is it safe to say any of the above listed calibres would almost be able to be screwed on? Ive seen a few used "tikka" barrels for sale in a few of the abovementioned calibres. I'm happy to try something new.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 12 Aug 2018, 7:09 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:
Chronos wrote:Stick with the same mag length otherwise the rebarrel will cost you another $200-300 in mag stop and mags. ie: 22-250, 243, 6CM, 260, 6.5CM, 7-08, 308, 338Fed etc

Chronos

So is it safe to say any of the above listed calibres would almost be able to be screwed on? Ive seen a few used "tikka" barrels for sale in a few of the abovementioned calibres. I'm happy to try something new.

Yes screwed on but head space needs to be checked. You can get lucky, I have a .243 Tikka lite barrel for my 7-08 that headspaces correctly and can be used if I want.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Cal-ApeR » 12 Aug 2018, 7:24 pm

Great. Maybe I'll take this route. I'll keep an eye out.

The bolt face is the same with all of these cartridges aren't they? 260rem or creedmore might be a bit of fun. Will start looking into it more.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Sep 2018, 10:21 am

Did you end up rebarreling your Tikka?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cal-ApeR » 03 Oct 2018, 6:35 pm

Hi all, thought I'd better update.

I bought myself a 2nd hand 260rem barrel. Has not been fitted yet.

I am hoping that the thread is the same. I currently have a blued barrel and the replacement barrel is Stainless. Profile is the same. Can anyone confirm?
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Oct 2018, 7:27 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:Hi all, thought I'd better update.

I bought myself a 2nd hand 260rem barrel. Has not been fitted yet.

I am hoping that the thread is the same. I currently have a blued barrel and the replacement barrel is Stainless. Profile is the same. Can anyone confirm?

Confirm what?
Is the new barrel from the same model Tikka?
If it is, it should thread in okay. Then you need to machine the shoulder to index it if it has any work around the chamber to fit the extractor and such. Then you need a finish reamer to cut the chamber to the required depth.

My Type 38 Arisaka has an extractor cut-out so I need to index that by machining the shoulder.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Oct 2018, 10:12 pm

We are guessing you bought a Sako or Tikka barrel? Is it the varmint profile? If you have so go and no go gauges you could do it yourself. I would take it to your gunsmith. You will have fun with the 260, almost as flat shooting as the 243.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing