Whats for lunch...?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Whats for lunch...?

Post by Stix » 12 Jun 2018, 12:26 am

That looks amazing BJss...!!
Flathead has got to be one of the best fish, if not the best eaten fresh out the water.

I went to a collegues place for dinner cupla years back.
They went to the fishmongers & got atlantic salmon & a little bit of flattie to try that was apparently fresh in thst day....
They gave me a choice of fish & i said id have the flattie--
Pompus gits--they actually felt bad because according to them you cant get better than genetic engineered hormone & colour died pink fed bland as cardboard atlantic sh1t fish...
I insisted on prepping & cooking my own flattie on their barbie as they were unsure how to cook it.
Lightly crumbed with barly a few minutes flash over the hotplate & i drooled & groaned my way to desert...!! :clap:
Farmed Atlantic salmon over fresh flattie...bludy fools...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 12 Jun 2018, 9:31 am

:drinks:
Relaxing weekend of cooking at home for me, I don't like going away long weekends.

Like you I would take a fresh flattie over farmed salmon, or any salmon, any day of the week.
Flip a coin between KG whiting and a flattie for my Victorian tastebuds, although nannygai are pretty awesome on the rare occasion I have had a chance to go after them
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 13 Jun 2018, 12:06 am

Ill take fresh flattie out of the water anytime, only because whiting are easier come by for me...
Mind you, if frozen whiting is the go-i rekon flathead looses flavour once frozen...whiting freezes really well & keeps for a long time frozen.
I envy you neing able to just go catch a feed...!!
Good luck to ya mate..!! :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 13 Jun 2018, 12:24 am

bigfellascott wrote:I had some road kill venison a few mths back (fallow) was lovely, I knocked the wheels and backstraps off it and turned it into snitzels and Guinness stew.

Reminds me of the good ol' days pre calici virus headin up the river in the EH...

Just like you can tell the difference in noise from a gut shot to a headshot on a bunny with a 22lr, i used to listen for the bunnies that ran under the car...
If it was a pop, i kept driving knowing it went under the tyres...
If i heard a sharp crack, i knew id nutted it with either the crossmember, front end or diff...so id pull up, give it the "hunting surgeon squeeze test" drop the guts n be on my merry way... :thumbsup:

Doesn't happen now with the 4bee being too high...they either live to dodge another bullet or end up pressed out as a crows protein platter.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by darwindingo » 13 Jun 2018, 1:40 am

Ahh,,, gotta love the old crossmember donk, It took a while after our first date to condition the missus that it was a good sound that meant food (and that I was not a complete psycho) :lol: .. :D But I got there, now she points them out and or swerves to get them (even after twenty odd years away from them in the NT....) :thumbsup:

Btw.. Fark I miss my EH... :(

“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Stix » 13 Jun 2018, 10:38 am

Yep...miss mine too.
Its still sitting in the shed with a big dent in the roof...unfortunately ill prob never get around to resuscitating her...

You in NT...?
Thought they'd be dime a dozen up there...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by darwindingo » 13 Jun 2018, 6:20 pm

Stix wrote:Yep...miss mine too.
Its still sitting in the shed with a big dent in the roof...unfortunately ill prob never get around to resuscitating her...

You in NT...?
Thought they'd be dime a dozen up there...?

Relocated back to Vic a little while back, was in the NT for over 20 years. I did see a few EH's up there but not many, I think you would be surprised at how much they go for these days. Even if it's in pretty rough condition I'm tipping that you're likely sitting on a nice wad of cash there Stix :thumbsup:

“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 13 Jun 2018, 8:39 pm

Haha. I missed out on road kill venison by an hour or so on Sunday. Dead fallow buck, maybe 2 year old on the edge of the road that I stopped to have a look at and move off the road, still had wet blood but was cold and rigour had started to kick in........... Had a good chat with another hunter who pulled up while I was there.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 16 Jun 2018, 1:09 am

Unless it was hot I'd have still whipped s leg off bent arrow lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 25 Jun 2018, 9:13 pm

A friend gave me their old slow cooker on the weekend, so tonight i did a thai yellow curry bunny.
It was meant to be a green curry but im outa paste & couldnt be bugrd goin back to the shop, so yellow it was.

Nothing special, but it came up alright...!! (Well for a yellow curry anyway) :)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 27 Jun 2018, 5:34 pm

Nice stix, been chasing a property recently for bunnies so I can diversify my game diet, love a slow cooked bunny over winter.

I did a fallow casserole last night with heaps of pancetta, shallots, carrots, redwine, stock, tomato and fresh marjoram and sage from the garden...roasted sprouts and mash on the side...love winter eating.

Off to Tokyo tomorrow so sushi and ramen will be on the menu the next couple weeks.
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 27 Jun 2018, 7:58 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Nice stix, been chasing a property recently for bunnies so I can diversify my game diet, love a slow cooked bunny over winter.

I did a fallow casserole last night with heaps of pancetta, shallots, carrots, redwine, stock, tomato and fresh marjoram and sage from the garden...roasted sprouts and mash on the side...love winter eating.

Off to Tokyo tomorrow so sushi and ramen will be on the menu the next couple weeks.

Wow...that fallow sounds mighty nice...!!!

Mate, ive never been there, but i doubt you'll find bunnies in Tokyo... well, the bunnies you're thinking of anyway...!! :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 28 Jun 2018, 6:37 am

:lol: The missus will be keeping me away from those bunnies!
And to rub it in she wants to take me to an Island full of tame Sika Deer. :lol:
Bigjobss

Post by bigpete » 28 Jun 2018, 9:56 am

images (37).jpg
images (37).jpg (31.23 KiB) Viewed 6723 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 30 Jun 2018, 10:42 pm

bigpete wrote:
images (37).jpg

So far on the trip the scenery has been pretty good...
Bigjobss

Post by Bigjobss » 10 Jul 2018, 3:56 pm

Trimmed up some 15 day dry aged fallow backstrap to chuck on the grill tonight.
Will be served with duckfat potatoes and steamed chinese broccoli and a glass (bottle) of cabernet.
Last hurrah of my holiday before I go back to work tomorrow.
Not all that bad, after my stressfull 2 day week I am taking Friday off to go for a Sambar hunt :lol:
20180710_143627.jpg
20180710_143627.jpg (983.86 KiB) Viewed 6660 times
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 10 Jul 2018, 6:11 pm

What do you do for a living Bigjobss...& can i get a position with you...gees...2 days back at work & off for a Sambar hunt...
It was like salt on a fresh cut reading that...
(good luck to ya.. :thumbsup: )
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 10 Jul 2018, 6:48 pm

Haha I am qualified as an environmental scientist and consulting so my hours are pretty flexible. Not a massive salary but the tax breaks are great because I have a partial outdoor role and I need a lot of quality gear that also comes in handy on the weekend.

20180710_182423.jpg
20180710_182423.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 6651 times
Bigjobss

Post by Bigjobss » 13 Aug 2018, 8:01 pm

Curing a couple Sambar sirlon from a young hind, 2 weeks in and 2 more to go, the wait is killing me.

20180808_184145.jpg
20180808_184145.jpg (961.24 KiB) Viewed 6607 times
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 13 Aug 2018, 8:54 pm

Yea well you'll be asleep in 5 hours when i get there & cut those strings with my patch cutting scissors...& im taking that can for a drink on the way back too...!! :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 14 Aug 2018, 7:37 am

Hey mate keep those scissors away from my dangling meat or you'll have my missus to answer too :friends:
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 20 Nov 2018, 11:22 am

So ive always wanted to make butter chicken from scratch & substitute the chook with some spring legged hoppy runny away furry things., & i came accross a recipe a while back.

So i gave it a crack.
2018-11-20 07.41.33.jpg
Dead little fast hoppy things
2018-11-20 07.41.33.jpg (371.44 KiB) Viewed 6491 times

Boning out...
I have boned out a few whole rabbits, but i find it easier to bone out when already jointed up.
(Note i said 'easier'-not 'easy'...!!
2018-11-20 07.41.52.jpg
Boning out
2018-11-20 07.41.52.jpg (484.07 KiB) Viewed 6491 times

Marinating the spring legged bush chook...
Its marinated in a few spices mixed in yogurt.
I think the recipe suggests to marinate for 4 hrs but i did it for 24hrs
2018-11-20 07.42.43.jpg
Marinating the chicken
2018-11-20 07.42.43.jpg (413.26 KiB) Viewed 6491 times

The meat is cooked uncovered in low-moderate oven for half hour
You can also see the tomato base in one pot, & the cumin seeds cooking in butter...

I tried the rabbit when it came out the oven--i feared it would be super dry & tuff----but to my great surprise it was SUPER tender...it was as tender as any good bit of chicken ive eaten....but i did actually age the bunny first--not sure if that had something to do with it.
2018-11-20 07.43.14.jpg
Some cooked meat & other brews
2018-11-20 07.43.14.jpg (431.67 KiB) Viewed 6491 times

So after the meat is cooked its smoked the cheats way--placed in bowl with some hot charcoal that has mustard seed oil drizzled over it... this naturally creates smoke & a lid is placed over the top so the meat absorbs some of the smokey flavour.
2018-11-20 07.51.10.jpg
Smoking the chook
2018-11-20 07.51.10.jpg (385.97 KiB) Viewed 6491 times

I guess i could use smokey paprika in the yogurt mix :unknown: --something to try next time
2018-11-20 07.52.02.jpg
Smokin
2018-11-20 07.52.02.jpg (306.9 KiB) Viewed 6491 times

Herbs & spices are added to the tomato base...
2018-11-20 07.44.53.jpg
Adding the diferent spices to the tomato base
2018-11-20 07.44.53.jpg (461.85 KiB) Viewed 6491 times

Once thats all bubbled away for long enough, i sprayed some of it over my kitchen when i zapped it with my stab mixer...
Note here the good & bad points of being single--the good point is when i splased the tomato mix on to wall & stove i didnt get yelled at...!! :P
The down side is i had to clean it up myself... :thumbsdown: ...... :lol:

Then its all thrown in together...along with a big dollop of thickened cream :D
2018-11-20 07.43.52.jpg
All in...plus a decent dollop of cream...!!
2018-11-20 07.43.52.jpg (413.38 KiB) Viewed 6491 times

For a first attempt, im stoked...!!! :clap:
"Grace"
2018-11-20 07.44.08.jpg
Yummo...!!!
2018-11-20 07.44.08.jpg (380.93 KiB) Viewed 6491 times

It wasnt perfect...i always find i have to experiment with a recipe until i get it how i like it, but its definately edible...and the beauty is as butter chicken is traditionally not very spicy, i can add more chilli to my own taste... :thumbsup:

Cant wait to get out & snipe more bunnies...!!! :clap: :D :drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 20 Nov 2018, 12:29 pm

Screenshot_20181120-125809_Gallery.jpg
Fallow steak,potato and carrot bake,corns,and beans. Yummo
Screenshot_20181120-125809_Gallery.jpg (481.68 KiB) Viewed 6487 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 20 Nov 2018, 7:24 pm

The bunny looks legit, you can tell the flavour is RICH.

bigpete wrote:

Nice touch with the fallow table cloth, looks good.
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 28 Nov 2018, 12:23 pm

Need a recipe for hare...anyone got a good recipe they've tried & proven...??? :unknown:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 28 Nov 2018, 1:50 pm

Mate not tried and proven as requested, however I would expect hare to be more suited to a casserole of some description.
Can make them from almost anything.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 28 Nov 2018, 4:37 pm

Bigjobss wrote:The bunny looks legit, you can tell the flavour is RICH.

bigpete wrote:

Nice touch with the fallow table cloth, looks good.

Actually a chital skin...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 28 Nov 2018, 9:24 pm

Stix wrote:Need a recipe for hare...anyone got a good recipe they've tried & proven...??? :unknown:

Sardinian hare stew
https://honest-food.net/hare-stew-hard-times/
Predominant flavours of capers and saffron and its a little bit oldskool and classy at the same time. I find its real good with hare, they can be a bit s**ty too cook and not all standard stew recipes work like with rabbit.
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 14 Jan 2019, 1:06 pm

Chasing a good & easy sweet-n-sour recipe from scratch with easily available ingredients...
Anyone got one or any chefs/cooks point me in the right direction...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 14 Jan 2019, 4:35 pm

Screenshot_20190114-170342_Gallery.jpg
2 out of 3 items I gathered from the wild. Guess what they are :)
Screenshot_20190114-170342_Gallery.jpg (525.07 KiB) Viewed 6106 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation