Full-face vs flip-face or clip-face helmets

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: Full-face vs flip-face or clip-face helmets

Post by Lorgar » 13 Aug 2018, 8:42 pm

Some progress made on this.

The Shoei GT-Air is looking like the helmet for me. Full face and feeling like the best fit for me. That'll be the one.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 13 Aug 2018, 10:13 pm

Best bits of advice I can give after 20+ years of riding bikes.

- Don't be a tight ass with tyres, it's all that seperates you from disaster.

- All the gear, all the time.

- Never exceed 80% of your ability on the road, never seek your limits. Go at a good pace and be satisfied.

- Lift your head, look up the road, see what's going on.

-Never split lanes at a speed of 15kph more than the other traffic. Give yourself a chance if someone does something silly.

- There is no such thing as a 'minor' accident on a bike. They will always be expensive and/or painful. Go to great lengths to keep it rubber side down.

-Ever hear someone say if describing an accident "Had no choice man, had to lay it down".They are nubs, Never lay your bike down. Stay on till the bitter end. If seperated from your bike you become nothing more than a missle. All the tools to avoid or reduce the severity of a collision are on your bike.

-In a group, ride at your own pace, or find others that ride at a pace you are comfortable with.

- Accept you are hard to see and many drivers are not as motorcycle aware as you would like. Make yourself visible, don't sit in blind spots.

-Trust no one. Don't cruise around with the attitude " He SHOULD stop, I have right of way, I'm going through". Make sure cars see you. A good trick is to wiggle your headlight (the flashing light draws the eye) if you suspect a car might not have seen you yet.

-Give other riders the nod when passing by, even Harley riders (They will often ignore you if you are not riding a Harley)

-If not riding a Harley, prepare yourself for the eye rolling and scoffing of Harley riders if you mention your ride at work etc. . Then ,if you dare, mention that your bike was a third of the price and is vastly superior in all technical aspects such as speed, handling, braking, fuel economy. This will be followed by " My mate's got a Harley that's had the motor worked, would thrash your bike on the quarter" . So you need to drop $10k-$30k to get a Harley going reasonably quick in a straight line.

- I like Harley's , everyone relax.

- Enjoy the comraderie that only Bikers know.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 13 Aug 2018, 10:28 pm

All the above Plus-

Scan, dont keep you eyes still for an extended period of time.
Boots- I may have a limp, but still have a foot only thanks to quality boots.
Target fixation - you will go where you are looking, so if things get tricky look at your escape route not the bastard trying to kill you.
Braking- you probably have more than you realize, practice hard braking until its second nature.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 14 Aug 2018, 8:42 am

Supaduke wrote:-Ever hear someone say if describing an accident "Had no choice man, had to lay it down".They are nubs, Never lay your bike down. Stay on till the bitter end. If seperated from your bike you become nothing more than a missle. All the tools to avoid or reduce the severity of a collision are on your bike.

"Had no choice man, had to lay it down" is code for "I wasn't paying attention and was caught out by something I should have seen 2 seconds earlier, got a fright, grabbed a handful of front brake and spat out the front wheel".....I know because I've done it myself on auto pilot coming home from work

There's a reason the training places teach what they do, it works. Set up and squeeze, as Wombat said you have way more braking capacity than people give bikes credit for.

Also I laugh when I hear about Harleys with pipes, intake mods, etc that take power outputs up to "over 100BHP" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Aug 2018, 8:52 am

Chronos wrote:Also I laugh when I hear about Harleys with pipes, intake mods, etc that take power outputs up to "over 100BHP" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chronos

BHP is measured at the crankshaft so it _might_ be possible.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 14 Aug 2018, 9:51 am

bladeracer wrote:
Chronos wrote:Also I laugh when I hear about Harleys with pipes, intake mods, etc that take power outputs up to "over 100BHP" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chronos

I think his point was that stock Japanese bikes have been making more than that since the 80s.

I had a 1980 Kawasaki Z1R that was 90hp out of the showroom and with some minor mods was over 100 waaaay back then.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Aug 2018, 10:05 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Chronos

I think his point was that stock Japanese bikes have been making more than that since the 80s.

I had a 1980 Kawasaki Z1R that was 90hp out of the showroom and with some minor mods was over 100 waaaay back then.

Yes, I'm well aware of that, my '85 GSXR750 made 100bhp, my '98 750 made 111hp.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 14 Aug 2018, 10:22 am

Well, pardon me
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 14 Aug 2018, 10:35 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:I think his point was that stock Japanese bikes have been making more than that since the 80s.

Yeah, that's my point. My CB1300 with a slip on exhaust, K&N filter and the air box opened up made nearly 120 at the wheel and was easy to ride at any speed but when I hear about twin cam fuel injected american bikes with heaps of mods that barely make over 100 hp at the crank and weigh another 80kg it makes me giggle

maybe I was spoiled or maybe 200 is the new 100

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 14 Aug 2018, 11:05 am

Not to mention most Harleys handle like a pig on a roller skate no matter what you do to them.
Maybe that's why they call them Hogs. :D
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 Aug 2018, 12:55 pm

Rotfl..... a Toyota Corolla makes similar power
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 14 Aug 2018, 7:48 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Not to mention most Harleys handle like a pig on a roller skate no matter what you do to them.
Maybe that's why they call them Hogs. :D

You are being quite unkind. The old hoggley doggley is the only option available to help chaps who have untreatable erectile dysfunction cope with their condition.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 14 Aug 2018, 8:21 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:You are being quite unkind. The old hoggley doggley is the only option available to help chaps who have untreatable erectile dysfunction cope with their condition.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:clap: :drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 20 Sep 2018, 7:47 pm

Supaduke wrote:- Enjoy the comraderie that only Bikers know.

I think I'm officially part of the club now.

I went for my maiden ride yesterday and had another guy on a bike nod at me as I rode past :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 20 Sep 2018, 8:41 pm

I crashed a few times on road and racing when I was young and marginally more silly than at present.

One early carbon fibre Shoei full face showed bulk road friction damage across where my chin would have been with a bike on top of me.
I grow a beard these days but sure would not if not if I had a big bare patch from where my face had been ground away.

Modern high quality helmets are worth the $$$, very quiet as regards air noise to avoid cumulative hearing damage but you can hear behind and to the sides to avoid homicidal ****** who will change lanes and accelerate to get into mirror blind spot as you merge onto a freeway.

Be really careful and keep your head on a swivel, riding a bike on the road is an intense experience, or you get hurt by a walking [driving] vegetable who has no business on the roads but will not be meaningfully penalised for f***ing you up.

The contrast is stark, you are [hopefully] totally involved in riding and there is the disinterested pre-menstrual shrew in her black Jeep who will injure or kill you with neither compunction nor remorse.

Not trying to discourage, just be paranoid, you can ease off on that a little as you gain experience and learn how to spot threats at a safe [ish] distance.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel