What's everyone's favourite cartridge and why?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: What's everyone's favourite cartridge and why?

Post by bigrich » 14 Aug 2018, 9:15 am

Homer wrote:G'Day Fella's,

To many to list...................

D'oh!
Homer

Good on ya homer :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by southwest shooter » 14 Aug 2018, 2:45 pm

Cooper wrote:Favourite is a bit of a tricky one. But the one I find myself grabbing the most is the 204 Ruger. Even though it is only shooting a 32gr Zmax. It hits hard for what it is and shoots nice and flat.

My 7mm 08 came a close second. Mainly beciause it is my all rounder

I'm wiff yuh , 204 is the go to calibre .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 14 Aug 2018, 3:40 pm

how's a 204 on a mildly windy day and what do you use a 204 on fellas ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Aug 2018, 7:39 pm

bigrich wrote:how's a 204 on a mildly windy day and what do you use a 204 on fellas ?

I'd say foxes mate, mildly windy no really dramas depending on distance.

Me I love the 204 on foxes and bunnies etc, 308 for pigs and deer,22/250 or 222 or 204 or 223 for skippies etc. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Aug 2018, 8:14 pm

I love my boring old 223.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 14 Aug 2018, 8:18 pm

got a mate with a tikka 223 with the fast twist barrel OB, he reckons their boring too. bloody thing just shoots through one hole all day :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Aug 2018, 5:30 am

I just have a cheap Marlin x7 shoots great too.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 15 Aug 2018, 11:14 am

Im gunna have to add .357 for favorite pistol cartridge.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by NUTSACK » 18 Aug 2018, 6:17 pm

22.250 shooting 52g Hollow Points. Mild,smooth and accurate..
NUTSACK
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 18 Aug 2018, 6:33 pm

pete1 wrote:Im gunna have to add .357 for favorite pistol cartridge.

Who says pistol cartridges can't be your favorite overall cartridge? For perhaps not so obvious reasons, it certainly is the case for me... and i have lots of fancy new rifles! I can reload my 32 with dippers around a campfire and still get varminting accuracy....
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 19 Aug 2018, 12:45 pm

Stix wrote:Well Flyer...if you put it like that, id happily lube up & pass my expander ball through the neck of the 308 case...!!

That's all well and good if you can touch the sides mate, but she might seriously need some extra neck tension after all those other expander balls have been through her!

She is, after all, the 2nd most popular calibre out there . . . :lol:

Stix wrote:(Truth be told id probably even give the 30-06 action a cycling & pass a patch down the bore too--but doubt id tell anyone how crisp the trigger was) :silent:
(Is it obvious im single...?)

Truth be told, I'm with you - and I'm not even single! But there's no doubt everyone likes to brag about using a 30-06, so I probably wouldn't be keeping it a secret. :thumbsup:
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by bigrich » 19 Aug 2018, 2:24 pm

:lol: good on ya gaza :lol: :lol: :lol: what would michelle pfeiffer be ? a 222 magnum ? old school classic ? :D :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 19 Aug 2018, 2:27 pm

i know one thing, i don't think i can talk to anyone who shoots a creedmore with a straight face ever again :lol: i reckon that 308 needs a lot of resizing but :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 19 Aug 2018, 2:46 pm

:D ya showing ya age gaza. knowing which movie that photo is from, i would have one thing to say to her. " zay 'ello to my liddle friend ......" :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 19 Aug 2018, 2:49 pm

bigrich wrote::D ya showing ya age gaza. knowing which movie that photo is from, i would have one thing to say to her. " zay 'ello to my liddle friend ......" :lol:

:lol: :lol: :clap:
"Say 'ello to my leetle fren, oh look, he's all grown up"
:lol:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 19 Aug 2018, 2:55 pm

shocking gaza shocking :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 19 Aug 2018, 3:03 pm

Flyer wrote:
Stix wrote:Well Flyer...if you put it like that, id happily lube up & pass my expander ball through the neck of the 308 case...!!

That's all well and good if you can touch the sides mate, but she might seriously need some extra neck tension after all those other expander balls have been through her!

She is, after all, the 2nd most popular calibre out there . . . :lol: :

Ill touch the sides mate so you've no need to worry :allegedly: ..& yes apparently i am bragging...but i appreciate your concern :thumbsup:
And i only ever size once fired brass thats been polished up in the wet tumbler & de-crudded mate :thumbsup: :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 19 Aug 2018, 5:54 pm

:D so what does a 557-450 look like ? queen victoria ? :o :lol: if i knew how to put up a photo i would ;) so what does 243 look like stix ? or 222 for that matter. 222 is not as wide at the bottom as 22-250 ....... :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 19 Aug 2018, 6:12 pm

bigrich wrote::D so what does a 557-450 look like ? queen victoria ? :o :lol: if i knew how to put up a photo i would ;) so what does 243 look like stix ? or 222 for that matter. 222 is not as wide at the bottom as 22-250 ....... :lol: :thumbsup:

No mate...222 is smaller bolt face so best you stick to them little fella... :lol:
22-250 is same bolt face as 308 mate, so best you leave that size action to me... :thumbsup:

I cant put up 375 or bigger or i might be arrested. :?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 19 Aug 2018, 6:19 pm

Stix wrote:
bigrich wrote::D so what does a 557-450 look like ? queen victoria ? :o :lol: if i knew how to put up a photo i would ;) so what does 243 look like stix ? or 222 for that matter. 222 is not as wide at the bottom as 22-250 ....... :lol: :thumbsup:

No mate...222 is smaller bolt face so best you stick to them little fella... :lol:
22-250 is same bolt face as 308 mate, so best you leave that size action to me... :thumbsup:

I cant put up 375 or bigger or i might be arrested. :?

so what's a 500 nitro look like ? rebel wilson ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i nominate jennifer lawrence for 222 . got a nicely proportioned case :P :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 19 Aug 2018, 6:29 pm

Stix wrote:Ill touch the sides mate so you've no need to worry :allegedly: ..& yes apparently i am bragging...but i appreciate your concern :thumbsup:
And i only ever size once fired brass thats been polished up in the wet tumbler & de-crudded mate :thumbsup: :lol:

Poor old me - I have to resort to the vibrating ultrasonic cleaner :cry:
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Flyer » 19 Aug 2018, 7:08 pm

OK, I admit it - I'm gay (I'm not really - honest!). But I took my 6.5mm manbun out today to do some load testing at 100m, and this is what I came back with. 4 shots into less than half an inch. So I may be a gay little manbun, but at least I'm a happy one :lol:

creed.jpg
creed.jpg (154 KiB) Viewed 7725 times
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Aug 2018, 7:32 pm

Nice shooting Flyer, but what happened to the fifth shot?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 19 Aug 2018, 8:11 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Nice shooting Flyer, but what happened to the fifth shot?

I usually shoot 4-shot groups when I test load. It's more indicative than 3 shots, and if they shoot good into 4, they usually shoot good into 5. The main problems I have with 5-shot groups when load developing is they use up a lot of brass and projectiles if you want to cover a bit of ground (I shot 6x 4-shot groups today from 42.8-44.8gr 2209 with 123 Lapua Scenars); it takes longer waiting for the barrel to cool down; and I often fudge the fifth shot anyway as it's hard to shoot precisely and consistently for strings on end. Once I find something that works, I start to load around it and shoot a few more to ensure its repeatable.

It's not easy removing the human factor (was it the load, or did I pull that?) as well as the wind in trying to find something that works.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Aug 2018, 8:41 pm

Fair enough, I thought it might be a Flyer. Do you have some sort of wind flag when you test? It can help cut down some errors.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 19 Aug 2018, 8:49 pm

yup 45-70's a got a real nice case alright. i wont judge ya 6.5 manbun too harshly .go the 6.5's . here's some of my better 6.5 x55 handloads, 6.5 brother :D . these were shot on a moderately windy day at 100. shot my 22 hornet the same day and POI moved 70 mm to the right with that ! (damn i wish i knew how to post "case" pics. would post kate beckinsale from " van helsing" movie. do yourself a favor and google ;) ) :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG_0128[1].JPG
120 noslers and 2209.
IMG_0128[1].JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 7315 times
IMG_0129[1].JPG
6.5x55 model 70 140 sst's and re22 powder.if you own a swede give this powder a try. good enough for hunting. might do some more work on it later
IMG_0129[1].JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 7315 times
IMG_0130[1].JPG
out of fullwood 1941 husqvana. more development to follow. this is a starter load in re22
IMG_0130[1].JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 7315 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 19 Aug 2018, 10:11 pm

what rifle is ya 6.5 anyway flyer ? that's a good group :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 19 Aug 2018, 11:17 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Fair enough, I thought it might be a Flyer. Do you have some sort of wind flag when you test? It can help cut down some errors.

Yeah, but it's at 200m, so all I've got at 100m to judge are some leafy branches, lol!

Here's the rest of the target from today. Yes, they call me "Flyer" :lol: Indeed, some of these were looking promising until the fourth shot, as you can see. But 43.2gr was the standout on the day. And I'm not joking - every flyer was on the fourth shot, lol.

bigrich, it's a Sako A7 Roughtech Pro in black and stainless. I'm not usually a big fan of synthetic stocks, but it's a nicely balanced rifle.

CMtarget.jpg
CMtarget.jpg (585.74 KiB) Viewed 7295 times
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by bigrich » 20 Aug 2018, 4:43 am

:lol: good on ya flyer. Sako is a quality bit of gear. For accuracy tests for hunting purposes, I only bother with three shots. After that anything in the field is long gone anyway. Except goats. They just seem to amble off. That fourth shot flyer would be annoying but. Rifles are individuals at times and do funny things. In my 6.5 model 70 after three shots POI begins to move around anti clockwise in a circle as the barrel heats up. I put 10 shots through it once just to see the results. Put a heavier barrel on ya Sako if it annoys you too much
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 20 Aug 2018, 4:44 am

Thanks for the late beckinsale post :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics