6.5x55 Swede

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: 6.5x55 Swede

Post by bladeracer » 13 Aug 2018, 9:55 am

Supaduke wrote:It's set as a calibre so officers in the field can simply check the headstamp of a case and you are on your way. Muzzle energy etc gets to complex, different pill weights , different powders, different volumes. Opens up a legal minefield for people to contest. It's not arbitrary at all really. Can you imagine a field officer trying to conclude the suitability of a round in the middle of a forest, arguing with hunters about supposed energies etc. It's just about expediency and simplicity. A .270 will do the job with any powder and pill combo.

It wouldn't be too difficult to do what competition does, require hunters to give up a cartridge or two, tag it as evidence, and test it back at the office.
6.5x55mm with a 160gn RN at 2500fps hits bloody hard.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 13 Aug 2018, 10:23 am

Yes , but then they have to hire people to test it, technicalities such as was the submitted round loaded the same as the first round etc. All the extra associated paperwork. The time frame alone would cause a huge backlog. Would cost millions to set up and maintain a new government department to do all the testing. Then there are issues if you are caught with a suspect load, you may be prevented from continuing to hunt until your load is verified etc etc, on and on it goes.

Won't work, hence a simple calibre cut off.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 13 Aug 2018, 1:20 pm

marksman wrote:heres a picture I was sent by a bloke I sold a barrel to, his improved swede
6.5x 284, 6.5 improved and sambar legal 9.3x55 improved

the 6.5 improved is from what I have read as good as the 6.5x284
but the 9.3x55 improved looks like it would hit like the hammer of thor
I like it :drinks: I also like improving cases :thumbsup:

9.3x55, now that's a interesting prospect for my idea of a 6.5x55 based wildcat in a old husky ;) :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 13 Aug 2018, 1:32 pm

Supaduke wrote:It's set as a calibre so officers in the field can simply check the headstamp of a case and you are on your way. Muzzle energy etc gets to complex, different pill weights , different powders, different volumes. Opens up a legal minefield for people to contest. It's not arbitrary at all really. Can you imagine a field officer trying to conclude the suitability of a round in the middle of a forest, arguing with hunters about supposed energies etc. It's just about expediency and simplicity. A .270 will do the job with any powder and pill combo.

Fair call. Being based on factory ammo, .270 is probably the minimum cal that delivers the goods. Quite a few cartridges of lesser cal can too, the historical use of 6.5x55 being the classic example, but at the same time there are cartridges in those cals that would be less than ideal in average circumstances.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigrich » 13 Aug 2018, 1:37 pm

on the subject of 6.5x55, 'bout a month ago i traded my 1909 carl gustav on a m38 husky. the m96 gustav had a very used barrel, and my eyes were having trouble with iron sights (commented on this in another post ). the husky was in much better original condition and already drilled and tapped for hilver scope mounts .went out to ripley today with my first batch of handloads, and to also test a vintage weaver K6-1 fixed power scope that came with a 1975 222 winchester 70 i bought. i suspect the weaver is older than the rifle, steel tube, brass fittings for the adjustment screws. apparently after 1973 weaver engraved "micro-track" on them. this scope doesn't have that .i fitted this scope to the m38 cause it sorta-kinda makes it look like a ww2 sniper rifle :lol: what a suprise, the clarity is about on par with my leupold vx-2's ! and it works great ! i won't write of a old scope again ! anyway , the combo works great as photo's show :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG_0122[1].JPG
142 gr MK's @100
IMG_0122[1].JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 4405 times
IMG_0121[1].JPG
old school
IMG_0121[1].JPG (990.78 KiB) Viewed 4405 times
IMG_0120[1].JPG
vintage swede sniper ?
IMG_0120[1].JPG (1000.56 KiB) Viewed 4405 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Midwestman » 19 Aug 2018, 4:08 pm

i maybe be bias but i think the humble ol swede is the best round,i first bought mine when i was 19 and i'm 47 now,i've owned a heck a lot of guns and calibers,but as far i'm concerned the swede is my favourite and more accurate then anything i've owned,also dispatched every animal in oz with it from making paddock pizza on a rabbit,too taking a camel and buffalo with in the Territory used everything from 90gr too 156gr,and whatever's in the scope becomes history,and it's always my go too gun,except for that stupid sambar law in Victoria which is total BS,i've shot many with it in NSW and they drop just as well as when i use 30/06 across the border,i actually think the swede has slightly better penetration maybe because off the long thin bullet??? But cut a long story short I DO LOVE MY SWEDE.
carl gustov 03 mauser 6.5x55
savage 223
Midwestman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 19 Aug 2018, 5:47 pm

Midwestman wrote:i maybe be bias but i think the humble ol swede is the best round,i first bought mine when i was 19 and i'm 47 now,i've owned a heck a lot of guns and calibers,but as far i'm concerned the swede is my favourite and more accurate then anything i've owned,also dispatched every animal in oz with it from making paddock pizza on a rabbit,too taking a camel and buffalo with in the Territory used everything from 90gr too 156gr,and whatever's in the scope becomes history,and it's always my go too gun,except for that stupid sambar law in Victoria which is total BS,i've shot many with it in NSW and they drop just as well as when i use 30/06 across the border,i actually think the swede has slightly better penetration maybe because off the long thin bullet??? But cut a long story short I DO LOVE MY SWEDE.

+1000 :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Midwestman » 20 Aug 2018, 12:28 pm

Thanks BigRich,we know when we're on a great thing bro,i think the humble ol swede is very underated calibre in Australia,but we all can't be on the main stream hahaha :thumbsup: :drinks:
carl gustov 03 mauser 6.5x55
savage 223
Midwestman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 20 Aug 2018, 4:19 pm

Swede is good.

Not long ago, a 6.5x55 Tikka was my second choice of rifle: great calibre, great choice of projectiles, long throat chamber (for seating long projectiles), makes proper use of Tikka's "all-calibres-in-one" long action and magazine, and probably does everything a 308 can do to 500m and beyond. It also has a great heritage and you can double up your hunting/target rifle with a milsurp for service action rifle if you're that way inclined and make full use of all your brass and dies.

Two years ago, I would have bought one. But in that two years the popularity of the 6.5 Creedmoor has seen an explosion in the number of rifles, ammo, brass and projectiles available. I ran the ballistics and came to the conclusion the 6.5CM replicates the 6.5x55 but with less powder, better brass life and a short action.

In many ways, the 6.5CM is the modern 6.5 Swede. Just more popular with the Yanks :lol:
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by bigrich » 20 Aug 2018, 6:01 pm

Flyer wrote:Swede is good.

Not long ago, a 6.5x55 Tikka was my second choice of rifle: great calibre, great choice of projectiles, long throat chamber (for seating long projectiles), makes proper use of Tikka's "all-calibres-in-one" long action and magazine, and probably does everything a 308 can do to 500m and beyond. It also has a great heritage and you can double up your hunting/target rifle with a milsurp for service action rifle if you're that way inclined and make full use of all your brass and dies.

Two years ago, I would have bought one. But in that two years the popularity of the 6.5 Creedmoor has seen an explosion in the number of rifles, ammo, brass and projectiles available. I ran the ballistics and came to the conclusion the 6.5CM replicates the 6.5x55 but with less powder, better brass life and a short action.

In many ways, the 6.5CM is the modern 6.5 Swede. Just more popular with the Yanks :lol:

truth be known flyer, i could probably do everything with my 6.5 husky milsurp, a 22 and a shotty. but i had to buy me model 70 winnie in 6.5 when i saw it, and more toys are fun to a point. 6.5 creed is a modern 6.5 swede just like a 7mm 08 is a modern 7x57 :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 20 Aug 2018, 10:15 pm

That's pretty much it. The 7x57 is a nice calibre, too.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics