80kph zones recommended for rural areas...

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

80kph zones recommended for rural areas...

Post by doc » 22 Aug 2018, 4:50 pm

Looks like there's a renewed call for more reductions in speed zones - in particular reducing non-shouldered roads (aka almost every rural road) from 100kph down to 80kph.

Particular reference to:

"Roads without sealed shoulders should have speed limits of no more than 80km/h"

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 4zyps.html

This is not the first time I've heard a push for this. Past would indicate that when something is promoted and knocked down, and promoted again and again - it eventually gets passed unless it's knocked on the head in a big way.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Re: 80kph zones recommended for rural areas...

Post by Daddybang » 22 Aug 2018, 5:23 pm

What a f@#ken dumbarse idea!!!!
I can't speak for down south but up here it'd take a bloody week to get anywhere!! :thumbsdown: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 22 Aug 2018, 5:27 pm

Daddybang wrote:What a f@#ken dumbarse idea!!!!
I can't speak for down south but up here it'd take a bloody week to get anywhere!! :thumbsdown: :drinks:

Not to mention it's a lame-arse, cop out way of avoiding their responsibility to maintain, or god forbid, improve our primary transport system.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Wombat » 22 Aug 2018, 5:54 pm

They were thinking about doing this state wide in Tassie a while back.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 22 Aug 2018, 5:55 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:

Not to mention it's a lame-arse, cop out way of avoiding their responsibility to maintain, or god forbid, improve our primary transport system.

BINGO ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 22 Aug 2018, 5:59 pm

Its amazing how much distance you can do in a day up in the NT with their higher limits :thumbsup: Here in Vic I got done doing 110 in a 100 on a sunny weekday mid morning no traffic on a good country road. Up there you can average 145 without getting busted :allegedly:
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 22 Aug 2018, 6:04 pm

Lol....I don't think it had a chance in Buckley. They did tak about reducing the speed limit on gravel roads.... and nothing happened. Just imagining it will make trips 20% longer. The distanced even in country vic are huge as it is
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Aug 2018, 6:16 pm

Should be case by case. There are roads in the eastern parts of the state that are 100kph but should be about 70kph. But the government turn a blind eye to it because the logging companies like it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 22 Aug 2018, 6:30 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:

Yep :thumbsup: :drinks:

Wombat wrote:

Its amazing how much distance you can do in a day up in the NT with their higher limits :thumbsup: Here in Vic I got done doing 110 in a 100 on a sunny weekday mid morning no traffic on a good country road. Up there you can average 145 without getting busted :allegedly:

I think the NT has dropped back to 130 (I know they were trialing that speed awhile back) but back when they had the open speed limit it was great :lol:
The roads were some of the best in the country and the roadtoll (per capita) was consistently among the lowest in the country!. Crossing the border from qld the rod would go from a goat track to a highway that ya could quite comfortably sit on that 145-150 mark!! :thumbsup: 8-) :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 22 Aug 2018, 6:33 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Should be case by case. There are roads in the eastern parts of the state that are 100kph but should be about 70kph. But the government turn a blind eye to it because the logging companies like it.

Yep I agree 100% some Rds up here are to high because of the condition of them. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by pete1 » 22 Aug 2018, 6:47 pm

Well going slower means, longer time on the road = more fatigue and likely chance of crashing.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 22 Aug 2018, 6:54 pm

Geeess; that will seriously screw up the local copper on his run across to a nearby town; he sailed past here at around 120 on Monday, and I was hoping he did a tyre, so he might learn the concept of 'Driving to the Conditions'...
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 22 Aug 2018, 7:05 pm

They can recommend until they’re blue in face. Given they don’t have enough resources to respond to burglaries or police main highways I can’t see how they can ever hope to police secondary country roads never mind the gravel ones.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Stix » 22 Aug 2018, 7:48 pm

Ah c'mon guys...think of the jobs it will create...!!!
The Govt will have to hire a committee for starters...
That committee will discuss the pro's n cons of engaging a consultancy firm to action a plan to engage another consultancy firm that will perform a thesis on how it could be done.
Then, another firm will be engaged to come up with a proposal & action plan for the govt...
Then it wont go ahead anyway, because it would increase the cost of our groceries so much many more people would dip below the poverty line...which would be inconvenient for both parties at the moment, especially given the current utterly appalling & embarrassing state the political system in this potentially great country has become.... :sarcasm:
No bludy wonder us Aussies suck so much piss...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wombat » 22 Aug 2018, 8:56 pm

Daddybang wrote:[
I think the NT has dropped back to 130 (I know they were trialing that speed awhile back) but back when they had the open speed limit it was great :lol:
The roads were some of the best in the country and the roadtoll (per capita) was consistently among the lowest in the country!. Crossing the border from qld the rod would go from a goat track to a highway that ya could quite comfortably sit on that 145-150 mark!! :thumbsup: 8-) :drinks:

I didn't say it was the limit, just that from experience etc :allegedly: :allegedly:
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 23 Aug 2018, 7:43 am

Wombat wrote:
Daddybang wrote:[

I didn't say it was the limit, just that from experience etc :allegedly: :allegedly:

Yeah I get ya :silent: :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 23 Aug 2018, 9:04 am

Coming from NQ myself mate I know exactly what you mean.
In addition I have driven on some dirt roads that are better than sealed roads. Common sense should prevail, drive to the local conditions.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Andrew1au » 23 Aug 2018, 9:28 am

It’s 110 in QLD and I doubt it will change. It will add hours onto a lot of people’s drives and increase driver fatigue.
None of our outback highways have shoulders.
.300 Win Mag, Howa 1500 MDT ESS
.223, Remington 783
7.62x54, 1944 BRNO K98k Mauser
6.5x55, 1942 Swedish Mauser
22lr/22mag, Taurus Circut Judge (cat a in QLD :P)
.22lr, Mossberg plinkster
Plus a couple air rifles.

Cat H
9mm, Taurus PT99
Andrew1au
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 23 Aug 2018, 10:29 am

Are you sure about the 110 in QLD?

My GPS tells me that the dirt road that I drive to town (B-Class road) is 100.
Pretty sure my last trip up the Torrens Ck road (mixture of bitumen and dirt), I only saw 110 after I turned onto the Flinders Highway, at Torrens Creek.

About the only place I've seen the GPS tell me the limit is 110, is on proper 2-lane highway.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 23 Aug 2018, 10:39 am

Dumb and stupid and retarded.

It will just put more drivers to sleep and the road toll will go up. The capabilities of cars today are much better than the 1970's in terms of safety and ability.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Daddybang » 23 Aug 2018, 11:09 am

JimTom wrote:

In addition I have driven on some dirt roads that are better than sealed roads. Common sense should prevail, drive to the local conditions.

Exactly right!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Andrew1au » 23 Aug 2018, 3:31 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Are you sure about the 110 in QLD?

My GPS tells me that the dirt road that I drive to town (B-Class road) is 100.
Pretty sure my last trip up the Torrens Ck road (mixture of bitumen and dirt), I only saw 110 after I turned onto the Flinders Highway, at Torrens Creek.

About the only place I've seen the GPS tell me the limit is 110, is on proper 2-lane highway.

I’m positive. The post states anything without a shoulder. Not just a dirt road. That means even the flinders would be included and basically every road that’s not in town and not on the coast.

Edit: Just encase you haven’t been to the cities, a shoulder is an extra lane. Normally for emergencies and assholes cutting traffic. Because they have too much money, they have to build lanes that people don’t drive on, while we drive around on old cattle tracks.
.300 Win Mag, Howa 1500 MDT ESS
.223, Remington 783
7.62x54, 1944 BRNO K98k Mauser
6.5x55, 1942 Swedish Mauser
22lr/22mag, Taurus Circut Judge (cat a in QLD :P)
.22lr, Mossberg plinkster
Plus a couple air rifles.

Cat H
9mm, Taurus PT99
Andrew1au
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 23 Aug 2018, 4:24 pm

Apologies for the digression, but it is a road related digression.

Anybody watched Highway Through Hell?

I can't imagine living somewhere where it's -30° for half the year with semis barreling around on snow and black ice, jacknifing and spearing off the road at 120kph without warning.

Great place to be a towie though.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 23 Aug 2018, 10:53 pm

JimTom wrote:

Yes you're right...common sense should prevail...
However, unfortunately we live in a world where real life experience is all to often set aside for "on paper" experience...so the uni graduate with no life experience who did their phd on 'mva's on rural roads without shoulders', who won the job because of their 'on paper credentials', may well overrule any common sense as we know it.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by doc » 24 Aug 2018, 2:01 pm

Noisydad wrote:They can recommend until they’re blue in face. Given they don’t have enough resources to respond to burglaries or police main highways I can’t see how they can ever hope to police secondary country roads never mind the gravel ones.

Don't worry - they'd throw resources at this. Partly because they'd know it's an easy revenue raiser and the income is outlikely to outweigh the expenditure.

Speeding is one of the easiest money makers to make from fines. It can be done automatic - done at a distance (radar), or can be done in quick succession (speed camera's). Plus with the 25kph over and your license is GONE in Victoria - the risks of driving at around 100kph on rural roads increase significantly.

I sadly see this coming in - not this year, but I do see it passing. Not because it's a good idea or because there's a lot of noise about it - but because there is a tactic that is used now and that's called persistence. It may fail 4 or 5 times - but sooner or later - eventually - if you keep persisting - you get enough drongo's to pass the bill...
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Aug 2018, 10:19 pm

Daddybang wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:

Yep :thumbsup: :drinks:

Wombat wrote:

The reduction of the speed limits in the Territory was a political move forced on the NT government by the federal labor government at the time, as you correctly stated the road toll was comparatively low, especially when it came to fatalities in zones above 80k.

The majority of fatalities were in the lower speed zones and were alcohol and or not wearing seat belt related, pedestrian fatalities also contributed significantly to the numbers, the claim of reducing fatalities by imposing the lower speed limits was not backed up by the relevant statistics.
Member-Deleted

Post by Strangedog » 26 Aug 2018, 8:58 am

Nanny State at it again. Check this out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lhCR2b ... ex=35&t=0s
Strangedog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 26 Aug 2018, 11:19 am

wanneroo wrote:Dumb and stupid and retarded.

It will just put more drivers to sleep and the road toll will go up. The capabilities of cars today are much better than the 1970's in terms of safety and ability.

Unfortunatly and sadly, as the capabilities of today's cars increase in terms of safety and ability, the capabilities of most of those who opereate them with any sort of safely, or with any ability, decreases.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 26 Aug 2018, 11:27 am

trekin wrote:
wanneroo wrote:Dumb and stupid and retarded.

Unfortunatly and sadly, as the capabilities of today's cars increase in terms of safety and ability, the capabilities of most of those who opereate them with any sort of safely, or with any ability, decreases.

This ^^^^ +1 :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Angel » 27 Aug 2018, 6:38 am

They do realise how BIG this country is right? It aint like Europe where you can cross 7 countries in 6 hours.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel