My latest project also finished

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

My latest project also finished

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Aug 2018, 10:56 pm

I loved the bar to start with that was on the vehicle when I bought it,,,,,,,, BUT,,,,,,

It had been powder coated originally but was NOT primed beforehand, and looked pretty ordinary.

However, I am a fan of 5 posters, so I cut it in half, fabricated a 5th post, and welded it all back together.
The bottom bar had a couple of dings in it, so I filled em up with the mig and ground it all flush.
Added new mounts for the main spotties.
Added some offset mounts for the little 15" light bars so I can see critters coming out of the verges on either side.
Fabricated a towbar insert (for winching firewood logs etc up on to the trailer)

Then took it into the powder coaters, and they sand blasted the entire bar, and primed it.
Then they powder coated it.

Now, I think I'm happy with it.
Last edited by Die Judicii on 07 Sep 2018, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: My latest project also finished

Post by Gwion » 28 Aug 2018, 7:49 am

Impressive, mate. You auditioning for a new Mad Max movie in that or just planning some ram raids??? :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Noisydad » 28 Aug 2018, 8:03 am

So, to get some air through the radiator, do you have to drive in reverse?
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 28 Aug 2018, 8:06 am

Looks awesome, no ATM in Australia will stand a chance :lol: but seriously impressive skills.
Love that you have cheesecutter muddies too.
Bigjobss

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Aug 2018, 11:58 am

Noisydad wrote:So, to get some air through the radiator, do you have to drive in reverse?

No problems with airflow Mate.
Because of the generous amount of forward rake, it puts everything well ahead of the grille,
which allows a huge airflow around and behind the lights etc.

Also makes it a much easier job to get mud/clay/leaves etc out when you get back on to the black stuff.
:thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by marksman » 29 Aug 2018, 9:03 am

well done good job :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 29 Aug 2018, 9:46 am

Looking good mate. Why the tow ball hitch at the front?
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Aug 2018, 7:48 pm

pete1 wrote:Looking good mate. Why the tow ball hitch at the front?

When you need to get a trailer or caravan into or out of a tight and tricky spot, it is so easy to do so when its hitched on the front.

Also when I built my big trailer (originally a tri axle, but now a tandem) I built a roller fairlead into the front section so I can run the
winch cable through it.
Great for when your pulling 15 foot firewood logs onto the trailer, or non going vehicles.

It makes what can be dammmm hard work,,,,, real easy.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stix » 29 Aug 2018, 7:56 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
pete1 wrote:Looking good mate. Why the tow ball hitch at the front?

When you need to get a trailer or caravan into or out of a tight and tricky spot, it is so easy to do so when its hitched on the front.

Also when I built my big trailer (originally a tri axle, but now a tandem) I built a roller fairlead into the front section so I can run the
winch cable through it.
Great for when your pulling 15 foot firewood logs onto the trailer, or non going vehicles.

It makes what can be dammmm hard work,,,,, real easy.

It will also come in handy to tie a rope to for hitching up the deer we shoot over a tree when DJ comes down this way...then he can see how high it is by himself while im steeling the knives & getting beers... :drinks: :clap:

:sarcasm:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sus_scrofa » 29 Aug 2018, 8:04 pm

Looks good mate, a job well done.

On a side note does anyone know what states dont allow 5 post bullbars?
Sus_scrofa
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Aug 2018, 8:16 pm

Thanks for the encouragement you blokes.

Winches are also a damm good tool,,, they make straining up a fence line real easy. :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Aug 2018, 8:19 pm

Stix wrote:It will also come in handy to tie a rope to for hitching up the deer we shoot over a tree when DJ comes down this way...then he can see how high it is by himself while im steeling the knives & getting beers... :drinks: :clap:

Now then,,,,,, did you mean "steeling" or Stealing ?
:lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stix » 29 Aug 2018, 9:13 pm

:lol:

Just to be cleat mate...ill 'steel' the knives...then ill "steal" the butchered carcass...

The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 29 Aug 2018, 9:19 pm

BTW, sorry mate i left out the important part...it looks a cracker...!!!

Just dhowed the pics to a young bloke who grew up rural & likes his land cruisers set up for outback & he likes it very much...

:thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel