need advice for 1000 yard benchrest caliber

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

need advice for 1000 yard benchrest caliber

Post by nightforcenxs » 30 Aug 2018, 6:28 pm

ok so as the title states i need some help with what caliber to run for my custom benchrest rifle ill be building it needs to be able to stay supersonic to 1000 yards and also not get affected by wind to much.

action ill be using is a bat VR going for a repeater as i would like to go into PRS later on

calibers i can afford to reload are 284 win, 6.5-284, 260 rem or AI, 300 WSM and some others

calibers i cannot afford are 300 norma mag improved, 7mm rem mag as i want to stay away from belted cases same goes for 300 win mag 7mm saum and some of the other big boomers.

if you can list what you have used would be greatly appreciated.
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: need advice for 1000 yard benchrest caliber

Post by sungazer » 30 Aug 2018, 6:45 pm

The different sports or types of shooting all have very different guns that are best suited to them. For 1000 yrd off a rest you cant go past the 7mm RSAUM however you only get 800-1000 rounds per barrel. Then you come down the list to others 284 then a 6.5
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by nightforcenxs » 30 Aug 2018, 6:50 pm

sungazer wrote:The different sports or types of shooting all have very different guns that are best suited to them. For 1000 yrd off a rest you cant go past the 7mm RSAUM however you only get 800-1000 rounds per barrel. Then you come down the list to others 284 then a 6.5

its going to be only 1000 yard benchrest for now until i get bored once i get bored i will rebarrel to a different caliber thats why im trying to stay away from such calibers i know accuracy costs but not at 800 shots or so a barrel i would like to shoot it at the range aswell not just leave it in the safe and only bring it out on comp days i know 6.5-284 only lasts 700 to 800 aswell but i can afford the brass so im kinda in a pickle here
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by scoobs » 30 Aug 2018, 7:11 pm

be different and use a 22-250 or something :lol: :lol:
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by nightforcenxs » 30 Aug 2018, 7:16 pm

scoobs wrote:be different and use a 22-250 or something :lol: :lol:

:lol: i got one better scoobs 375 h&h mag and only allowed to use 2x on the scope
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 Aug 2018, 7:20 pm

G'day nightforcenxs,
You want to reduce wind effects, and keep costs reasonable, so shoot 308. Lower costs, good barrel life, a boring calibre to many but a winning cartridge. Still taking out many 1000 yd/m comps worldwide in all forms of comp from BR, both light and heavy, to Palma and NRA High Power and Service Match. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by nightforcenxs » 30 Aug 2018, 7:27 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day nightforcenxs,
You want to reduce wind effects, and keep costs reasonable, so shoot 308. Lower costs, good barrel life, a boring calibre to many but a winning cartridge. Still taking out many 1000 yd/m comps worldwide in all forms of comp from BR, both light and heavy, to Palma and NRA High Power and Service Match. Cheers.

me and my brother both have 308's his has a aftermarket barrel on it 26 inch long not gonna lie that thing is a beast out at 500 so far but we need to test the 175gr but im not sure we will be able to get it going fast enough im after speed aswell because the 1000 yard BR club uses those electronic target system so you have to stay supersonic to the target for it to register otherwise your shooting blind
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by scoobs » 30 Aug 2018, 7:33 pm

nightforcenxs wrote:
scoobs wrote:be different and use a 22-250 or something :lol: :lol:

:lol: i got one better scoobs 375 h&h mag and only allowed to use 2x on the scope

open sights :lol:
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 30 Aug 2018, 7:46 pm

nightforcenxs wrote:
sungazer wrote:The different sports or types of shooting all have very different guns that are best suited to them. For 1000 yrd off a rest you cant go past the 7mm RSAUM however you only get 800-1000 rounds per barrel. Then you come down the list to others 284 then a 6.5

its going to be only 1000 yard benchrest for now until i get bored once i get bored i will rebarrel to a different caliber thats why im trying to stay away from such calibers i know accuracy costs but not at 800 shots or so a barrel i would like to shoot it at the range aswell not just leave it in the safe and only bring it out on comp days i know 6.5-284 only lasts 700 to 800 aswell but i can afford the brass so im kinda in a pickle here

unless you are loading super fast I would think you will get more than 700-800 out of a 6.5x284
I load mine to 2900fps with 142gr smk's, well and truly over book max and at 1000 rounds down the tube I still get 1 hole groups at 100, easy peasy
don't believe every thing you hear at the range :thumbsup: my loads do not show any pressure
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by nightforcenxs » 30 Aug 2018, 7:55 pm

marksman wrote:
nightforcenxs wrote:

unless you are loading super fast I would think you will get more than 700-800 out of a 6.5x284
I load mine to 2900fps with 142gr smk's, well and truly over book max and at 1000 rounds down the tube I still get 1 hole groups at 100, easy peasy
don't believe every thing you hear at the range :thumbsup: my loads do not show any pressure

well thats interesting to know then so you reckon 1500 before you would really want to rebarrel? if thats the case its a pick between that and the straight .284 win
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 30 Aug 2018, 9:02 pm

If you look at the Queens Results in each state for the last 10 years or so, you will find that F-Open scores better than the 308. It is usually at the longer ranges that the 7mm out scores the 308 also at the shorter ranges they may be shooting a 6mm which is again a point or two in front of a 308.
The 7mm RSAUM is the one to beat at 1000 yrds. You pay for it.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 31 Aug 2018, 8:28 pm

nightforcenxs wrote:
marksman wrote:
nightforcenxs wrote:

well thats interesting to know then so you reckon 1500 before you would really want to rebarrel? if thats the case its a pick between that and the straight .284 win

here is a photo of the last sighting group I shot for it late last year before some hunting

they are super easy to load for and the brass is already made, no forming
Jason Baney gives a good guide on the round here
http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/65x284/
I have my own reamer, a robert whitely design for the 6.5x284 norma
some people dont understand that there is a 6.5x284 winchester, the original design, that will not allow you to use lapua cases
set up with a heavy barrel and decent stock it is like shooting a 222, watch the projectile hit the target or animal
the sweet spot I have found between 2900-3000fps with any projectile I have used
the round count for the barrel IMHO is no different than a 300wm and the like, anyone that has one wont get rid of it
its one round I have found that just works :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 01 Sep 2018, 5:25 am

i had thought of this recently, i'm a big fan of 6.5x55, but read a article in american rifle shooter how handloaded 7x57 has better long range ballistics and can outshoot 6.5 CM. thought this might be worth mentioning. if you want cheap to load, ya probably cant go past 308 but . well proven round :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 01 Sep 2018, 7:13 am

“1000 yard benchrest” and “can’t afford” generally don’t go together.

Forget the rifle, do you have the $2000 for the rests? Half joking but I bought second hand and still spent over $1000

No offence meant you’re asking about Formula one with a formula ford mindset

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 01 Sep 2018, 8:17 am

Since you go on to say that 1000 yard shooting is likely to only be a transient pursuit and you aren't loaded with disposable cash the best advice you can follow is to stick with conservative calibers and enjoy an extended accuracy life. For example a well chambered, quality 308 barrel will have at least 4000 rounds of 'gilt edge' accuracy and probably be more than acceptable accuracy for 6000 rounds sometimes much more.
Shooting skill always trumps equipment. Develop your shooting and reloading skill and don't be deluded by the belief you can 'buy accuracy' while possessing only mediocre skills.
In the 70's there was a song by Maria Muldaur called 'It Ain’t the Meat It’s the Motion'. Google the lyrics and try and work out what it means.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 01 Sep 2018, 12:05 pm

like has been suggested 1000 may not be the best to start off with
IMO starting at 1000 is going to frustrate you, I would start at 600, learn a bit about wind reading and sight adjustments
when you start getting good consistent groups work your way out, 600 is not that hard with the right gear and you will enjoy it
I myself own both 308's and 6.5x284, I would go the 6.5 it kills the 308 for wind bucking and trajectory, makes it easier for you to learn
here is a guide for 1000 by accurate shooter, very good info
http://www.accurateshooter.com/competit ... est-guide/
the most expensive component you need to worry about is the scope, you could buy a savage 12 F, a set of wilson dies and off you go
www.savagearms.com/firearms/centerfire/ ... 12-f-class

another cartridge I have that has broken records in long distance that I would recommend is the 6mm dasher,
a bit of mucking about to make cases but shoots like a laser, just like the 6.5x284 :thumbsup:

the only thing I have ever heard bad about the 6.5x284 is the barrels don't last as long as the 308 :unknown:
if you like a laser you don't care :drinks: :lol: :lol:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 01 Sep 2018, 12:53 pm

here is another link for case prep for long distance, its not for everyone but I have seen the benefit of doing this, one thing not to have to think about
I hope I'm not making you think that I think you have no clue :drinks:
http://www.accurateshooter.com/technica ... case-prep/
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 01 Sep 2018, 6:53 pm

A $1000 is a cheap front rest normal used price for the Seb Max https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=133212 neo is a little cheaper and lighter but not much.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 01 Sep 2018, 7:16 pm

The premier 1000 yard caliber is the 6mm BR and it's improved versions. It has set world records at that distance time and time again, currently holding the record at 1.068 inches. It has won just about every competition from 600 to 1000 yards and no other case design comes close.
If you are looking for something different with a magnum head stamp the WSM case is pretty handy.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by nightforcenxs » 01 Sep 2018, 9:22 pm

marksman wrote:
nightforcenxs wrote:
marksman wrote:
nightforcenxs wrote:

here is a photo of the last sighting group I shot for it late last year before some hunting

they are super easy to load for and the brass is already made, no forming
Jason Baney gives a good guide on the round here
http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/65x284/
I have my own reamer, a robert whitely design for the 6.5x284 norma
some people dont understand that there is a 6.5x284 winchester, the original design, that will not allow you to use lapua cases
set up with a heavy barrel and decent stock it is like shooting a 222, watch the projectile hit the target or animal
the sweet spot I have found between 2900-3000fps with any projectile I have used
the round count for the barrel IMHO is no different than a 300wm and the like, anyone that has one wont get rid of it
its one round I have found that just works :drinks:

that thing is a laser beam im pretty much sold on the 6.5-284 ive done more pricing of components and its not even that bad even if it does decide to kill barrels ive learnt accuracy costs and if i can achieve great accuracy and enjoyment out of it the barrel replacing isnt a bother just order 2 at a time :lol:
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by nightforcenxs » 01 Sep 2018, 9:44 pm

bigrich wrote:i had thought of this recently, i'm a big fan of 6.5x55, but read a article in american rifle shooter how handloaded 7x57 has better long range ballistics and can outshoot 6.5 CM. thought this might be worth mentioning. if you want cheap to load, ya probably cant go past 308 but . well proven round :thumbsup:

nothing wrong with the 6.5x55 grant did that one at allan swan on the tikka action was a laser beam.
Chronos wrote:“1000 yard benchrest” and “can’t afford” generally don’t go together.

Forget the rifle, do you have the $2000 for the rests? Half joking but I bought second hand and still spent over $1000

No offence meant you’re asking about Formula one with a formula ford mindset

Chronos

i understand chronos its a rich mans game to answer your question about the rests yes i do have the $2k. i should rephrase the calibers i cant afford i can afford but i wish to stay away from belted cases ive spoken to a fellow with a 300 norma improved and he said it kicks i dont want to make it half way through the match and be recoil drunk and for the 7mm saum ive spoken to someone who owns it thats in the 1000 yard benchrest club and he said theres other options out there that shoot just as good even he said the brass is over priced.

SCJ429 wrote:The premier 1000 yard caliber is the 6mm BR and it's improved versions. It has set world records at that distance time and time again, currently holding the record at 1.068 inches. It has won just about every competition from 600 to 1000 yards and no other case design comes close.
If you are looking for something different with a magnum head stamp the WSM case is pretty handy.

ive been looking at the 6mm BR SCJ429 or the 6.5x47 and use it as my light gun rebarrel my tikka to one of the two.

also marksman no need to worry about scope ive got a nightforce nxs 8-32x56 ive been told its more then enough scope by the 1000 yard president. been looking at march scopes but a couple of the guys who shoot the fly shoots that own them say there trash but they keep using them :unknown: as for shooting any further then 500m i cant i dont have anywhere other then dirty belmont ive been shooting 300 and 400 with the shoot and see targets with ok groups but i cant measure them as i cant go and get them until after 5pm and im not driving back over there just to get targets
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 02 Sep 2018, 7:38 pm

the nxs is king :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics