Cat C2 - Semi auto / pump Shotgun

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Cat C2 - Semi auto / pump Shotgun

Post by ThumbNT » 30 Aug 2018, 1:59 pm

how many of you actually own one? and what do you use it for?

was talking with some friends and coworker and they're of the opinion we can get them easily. So i wonder, do any of you actually have one? i always enjoy listening to non firearm owners talking about guns.....could listen to it all day.

interested to know.
ThumbNT
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Cat C2 - Semi auto / pump Shotgun

Post by TheDude » 30 Aug 2018, 2:01 pm

I don’t. Bloke at work has a semi for clays. Got it approved on medical grounds.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by ThumbNT » 30 Aug 2018, 2:11 pm

TheDude wrote:I don’t. Bloke at work has a semi for clays. Got it approved on medical grounds.

buggered hand or tendinitis i assume.

would rather healthy joints over a semi auto tbh.
ThumbNT
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by No1_49er » 30 Aug 2018, 2:14 pm

ThumbNT wrote:how many of you actually own one? and what do you use it for?

was talking with some friends and coworker and they're of the opinion we can get them easily. So i wonder, do any of you actually have one? i always enjoy listening to non firearm owners talking about guns.....could listen to it all day.

interested to know.

Just to clarify; are you talking about semi-auto or pump, or is it a semi auto/pump as in a Franchi SPAS?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2018, 2:18 pm

interested to know.

I have a severely smashed right shoulder that really hates the shotgun. I'd love to apply for a semi on medical grounds. But as you can only do so for competition purposes of which I have no interest, and would not be able to use it for hunting anyway it seems pretty pointless.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 30 Aug 2018, 2:42 pm

If it was really that easy to get most of us would have them. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 30 Aug 2018, 2:45 pm

bladeracer wrote:

interested to know.

I have a severely smashed right shoulder that really hates the shotgun. I'd love to apply for a semi on medical grounds. But as you can only do so for competition purposes of which I have no interest, and would not be able to use it for hunting anyway it seems pretty pointless.

Would ya then also run the risk of them takin ya other Firearms or is that a beat up??? :unknown: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2018, 2:47 pm

Daddybang wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I have a severely smashed right shoulder that really hates the shotgun. I'd love to apply for a semi on medical grounds. But as you can only do so for competition purposes of which I have no interest, and would not be able to use it for hunting anyway it seems pretty pointless.

Would ya then also run the risk of them takin ya other Firearms or is that a beat up??? :unknown: :drinks:

I've heard those stories but I can't see the relevance. The Cat C shotgun is only for clay competition, which is certainly harder on the body than any other shooting I can think of. It would certainly cause more pain than one or two shots at a deer with a .338 Lapua. Even .50BMG competition is usually only a handful of shots, usually with a muzzle brake.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ThumbNT » 30 Aug 2018, 3:17 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Daddybang wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I have a severely smashed right shoulder that really hates the shotgun. I'd love to apply for a semi on medical grounds. But as you can only do so for competition purposes of which I have no interest, and would not be able to use it for hunting anyway it seems pretty pointless.

I've heard those stories but I can't see the relevance. The Cat C shotgun is only for clay competition, which is certainly harder on the body than any other shooting I can think of. It would certainly cause more pain than one or two shots at a deer with a .338 Lapua. Even .50BMG competition is usually only a handful of shots, usually with a muzzle brake.

are clays really that hard on the shoulder?

was thinking of joining a club here in WA but no i am reconsidering...
ThumbNT
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by ponkychonk » 30 Aug 2018, 3:35 pm

They are easy to get here in WA, coz you can get pumps and semi's for club shooting (production shotgun is the main discipline i believe)
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by Daddybang » 30 Aug 2018, 3:39 pm

ponkychonk wrote:They are easy to get here in WA, coz you can get pumps and semi's for club shooting (production shotgun is the main discipline i believe)

Do ya know many that have them???
Might have to move to WA !!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Crazy » 30 Aug 2018, 4:34 pm

From what i have read in WA you can own cat C for competitive sport shooting but i can only speak from a Victorian perceptive. Keeping this in mind In Victoria you can own the license for primary production, competitive clay targets, On behalf of a junior and for a medical reason. Primary production is the only one where you can get the semi-auto rim-fire section of the license and hunt with. With primary production as the genuine reason hobby farm is included this is the only one where a ABN isn't required under Primary production. Keep in mind if you go down the primary production road you can't take the firearms to a shooting range all shooting must be done on the land you listed when applying for the license. If your only looking to only shoot at a range with the shotguns you would need to participate in competitions in order to maintain the license or hold the license for a junior shooter. One of the biggest downsides to getting this license is that it has to be renewed every year. Hopefully this has helped below will be a link to the Genuine reasons to apply in Victoria.

www.police.vic.gov.au/retrievemedia.asp?media_id=113523
Last edited by Crazy on 30 Aug 2018, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2018, 4:35 pm

ThumbNT wrote:are clays really that hard on the shoulder?

Clays aren't bad, but shoot a hundred or two in an afternoon with a smashed shoulder and I certainly wouldn't be able to drive home afterwards...or for a week or two.
Attachments
RightShoulder1.jpg
RightShoulder1.jpg (10.52 KiB) Viewed 5407 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 30 Aug 2018, 5:46 pm

bladeracer wrote:
ThumbNT wrote:are clays really that hard on the shoulder?

Clays aren't bad, but shoot a hundred or two in an afternoon with a smashed shoulder and I certainly wouldn't be able to drive home afterwards...or for a week or two.

Ya got four more bolts than me!! :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 30 Aug 2018, 6:48 pm

The medical reason can and will be used against you for any other high powered guns including 308 level type recoil. Makes sense really.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2018, 7:43 pm

sungazer wrote:The medical reason can and will be used against you for any other high powered guns including 308 level type recoil. Makes sense really.

Actually it doesn't make sense at all.
I can shoot a few rounds of 12ga. now and then, but no way could I shoot an entire clay competition in one day. I wouldn't even consider trying to shoot several hundred in a practice session.

The Cat C medical exemption is purely to allow shooting a lot of 12ga. in a short period of time for competition only. If there were a full-bore rifle competition that consisted of a hundred plus rounds of .308 or something, and you were shooting that just fine, then I could see some relevance.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TheDude » 30 Aug 2018, 8:46 pm

The bloke I know with one had to get a letter from his doctor, the advice was that while he could handle the occasional bit of recoil target shooting or hunting with a larger cal rifle, he wouldn’t be able to handle the repeated hits from a shotgun comp.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2018, 8:57 pm

Since we're on he subject, has anybody tried a muzzle brake on a shotgun?
I've seen screw-in ones but they seem to be designed to fit single-barrel guns rather than doubles that most Aussies use.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 31 Aug 2018, 5:51 am

Lol I was thinking the same.. maybe if someone could make a reliable one that works they could make a killing in the shotgun market. But I suppose as it's not just 1 projectile going straight through but a bunch of balls they might get jammed, even destroy the vents of a muzzle break, or at the minimum have extra resistance
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by ThumbNT » 31 Aug 2018, 12:52 pm

bladeracer wrote:Since we're on he subject, has anybody tried a muzzle brake on a shotgun?
I've seen screw-in ones but they seem to be designed to fit single-barrel guns rather than doubles that most Aussies use.

My Pardus has flash hider.....that makes fireballs :unknown:
ThumbNT
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 31 Aug 2018, 3:22 pm

Ziad wrote:Lol I was thinking the same.. maybe if someone could make a reliable one that works they could make a killing in the shotgun market. But I suppose as it's not just 1 projectile going straight through but a bunch of balls they might get jammed, even destroy the vents of a muzzle break, or at the minimum have extra resistance

It's not a bunch of balls. Modern ammo is all enclosed within the cup, it only starts to spread once it has left the muzzle.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 31 Aug 2018, 5:09 pm

bladeracer wrote:Since we're on he subject, has anybody tried a muzzle brake on a shotgun?

http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-sty ... bes&cts=25
apparently these are the ducks nut's :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 Aug 2018, 5:39 pm

marksman wrote:

http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-sty ... bes&cts=25
apparently these are the ducks nut's :drinks:

Yes, I'd like to try one, but they would only work on one barrel.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.