Grampians and Surrounds Hunting locations

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Grampians and Surrounds Hunting locations

Post by Nate104 » 14 Jun 2018, 9:57 am

Hi all,

I know its hard to get help with sharing deer hunting locations, but thought I would at least try.
Have been hunting in the Alpine regions for sometime now and recently relocated to Horsham, Vic.
I have taken a look at Devils Garden and Cherrypool, but am struggling to spot anything of recent. Trail cams are picking up nothing and I was wondering if anyone wanted to share some locations.
I am willing to drive 2-3 hours from Horsham to find them.

Thanks in advance. :D
Nate104
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Grampians and Surrounds Hunting locations

Post by marksman » 14 Jun 2018, 7:27 pm

I have in the past shot at devils garden and occasionally did ok but at the rear near lake fyans
trick is to get off the tracks and get in the bush
the pines is another good one in that area
there is also state forest I've heard is good at Goroke
good luck with it :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 14 Jun 2018, 7:42 pm

Never bothered myself because all reports lead me to believe that the heards are full of inbred and munted heads, not worth the drive for me.
Not too many options looking at the state forest maps so pick a location near to farm fringe with available water and you should be in the zone.
Bigjobss

Post by JWT » 29 Jul 2018, 3:04 pm

I have the same query. Since moving to the area I’ve spent close to 15 hours scouting devils garden around farm fringe with dams as another member mentioned. Finding tracks on the road and rubs and scat occasionally into the bush along trails but no actual sightings. Just foxes and rabbits and dozens of roos and wallabies. Local knowledge apparently is that there is a herd of Fallow that mainly centres around Pomonal, and wanders into nearby state forests including DG regularly but I just can’t seem to find them.

As for Cherrypoole and Rocklands surrounds I’m going to start scouting that next. Hoping for better luck. Any tips would be appreciated :thumbsup:
JWT
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Nate104 » 06 Sep 2018, 9:48 am

JWT wrote:I have the same query. Since moving to the area I’ve spent close to 15 hours scouting devils garden around farm fringe with dams as another member mentioned. Finding tracks on the road and rubs and scat occasionally into the bush along trails but no actual sightings. Just foxes and rabbits and dozens of roos and wallabies. Local knowledge apparently is that there is a herd of Fallow that mainly centres around Pomonal, and wanders into nearby state forests including DG regularly but I just can’t seem to find them.

As for Cherrypoole and Rocklands surrounds I’m going to start scouting that next. Hoping for better luck. Any tips would be appreciated :thumbsup:

Thanks all for the Help. Hey JWT, if you want someone to partner with, I'm happy to tag along. i have also just come across i couple big reds near Beaufort last week so ill be heading there too :thumbsup:
Nate104
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Sep 2018, 1:00 pm

Nate104 wrote:
JWT wrote:I have the same query. Since moving to the area I’ve spent close to 15 hours scouting devils garden around farm fringe with dams as another member mentioned. Finding tracks on the road and rubs and scat occasionally into the bush along trails but no actual sightings. Just foxes and rabbits and dozens of roos and wallabies. Local knowledge apparently is that there is a herd of Fallow that mainly centres around Pomonal, and wanders into nearby state forests including DG regularly but I just can’t seem to find them.

Thanks all for the Help. Hey JWT, if you want someone to partner with, I'm happy to tag along. i have also just come across i couple big reds near Beaufort last week so ill be heading there too :thumbsup:

Be careful and do your home work around Beaufort. 90% of the area is NO GO ZONES. Private property only.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Sep 2018, 1:02 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Never bothered myself because all reports lead me to believe that the heards are full of inbred and munted heads, not worth the drive for me.
Not too many options looking at the state forest maps so pick a location near to farm fringe with available water and you should be in the zone.

Not strictly correct. The Grampians area has produced a few monsters. But again be careful and do your home work around 90% of the area is NO GO ZONES. Private property only.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 06 Sep 2018, 7:20 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:Never bothered myself because all reports lead me to believe that the heards are full of inbred and munted heads, not worth the drive for me.

Not strictly correct. The Grampians area has produced a few monsters. But again be careful and do your home work around 90% of the area is NO GO ZONES. Private property only.

There are always anomolies but I wouldnt be going to the area looking for consistent trophy animals.
Bigjobss

Post by marksman » 06 Sep 2018, 7:42 pm

Bigjobss wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

There are always anomolies but I wouldnt be going to the area looking for consistent trophy animals.

what I have seen is that they are lacking in something that effects some of them growing brow tines
the queensland reds are much better for heads :drinks:
but even with a crap head they still taste ok :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 06 Sep 2018, 9:38 pm

Very true.
Whilst I mainly hunt for the freezer I prefer to hunt areas where I feel I am more likely to stumble upon a trophy animal , the element of unknown adds to hunting experience.
Bigjobss

Post by Lozzican » 27 Jan 2019, 1:30 pm

Hi Nate l hunt grampians on a regular
basis l have shot Fallow and Red deer l have acsess to farmland fringe country ATM all the deer are in mid velvet. I have seen in excess of 50 reds and fallow some big heads. l will be hunting grampians area for april may have a few weeks off can arrange a hunt if you want l have a few new areas to scout and hunt if intrested.
Lozzican
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Nick » 27 Feb 2019, 3:13 pm

Hi Nate, I travel from Adelaide to Grampians area for deer hunting a few times per year, and planing to go next week. I haven't had much luck unfortunately. As not many places left in South Australia for hunting other than private properties which is difficult to find one, I travel about 5hours to GRAMPIANS.
I was hoping if you can give me some tips about where to go in Grampians area. I know I am asking too much, It will be much appreciated. My email is Nik220022@yahoo.com.

Thank you.

Lozzican wrote:Hi Nate l hunt grampians on a regular
basis l have shot Fallow and Red deer l have acsess to farmland fringe country ATM all the deer are in mid velvet. I have seen in excess of 50 reds and fallow some big heads. l will be hunting grampians area for april may have a few weeks off can arrange a hunt if you want l have a few new areas to scout and hunt if intrested.
Nick
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Nate104 » 24 Jun 2019, 4:47 pm

Hi Lozzican,

PM me and we can organize something. sorry about the delay, only just jumped back on.
Nate104
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by wonz » 16 Jun 2020, 10:23 am

Hey Lozzican, how's the state forest on the western side of the national park? Or is it better just to try and make contact with a private property?
wonz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jun 2020, 5:09 pm

Little trick to finding deer in hard areas ??
Go for a bush walk absent of a rifle...watch them jump out - it works...more than it should.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 17 Jun 2020, 6:49 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Little trick to finding deer in hard areas ??
Go for a bush walk absent of a rifle...watch them jump out - it works...more than it should.

:lol: :lol: :lol: very true Tassie ;)

and wonz, the western side of the grampians is ok when the mud is up to your knees, there is good fishing, yabbying, some foxes, rabbits ect.. but what l found is that it takes a lot of rain to get the deer down from the mountain top

l have found deer at devils garden usually on the western and southern side, finding a frequently used animal highway is key
these areas need to be watched from a good distance,
good luck with it :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jun 2020, 8:58 pm

"Devils Garsen" top spot to sink down to your axles.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by kaiden56 » 21 Jul 2020, 8:06 pm

This Probably sounds like a really stupid question but i have searched low and high and cant find an answer i have recently moved to halls gap and am looking for somewhere to hunt deer foxes and rabbits.. But also somewhere where i can go to sight in my rifles. Would i be correct in saying devils grden is a good spot to start?
kaiden56
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Jul 2020, 8:18 pm

Yes, classified as state forest. Just suggest you don't turn it into a shooting gallery. Be sensible.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wonz » 01 Oct 2020, 11:51 pm

marksman wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Little trick to finding deer in hard areas ??

:lol: :lol: :lol: very true Tassie ;)

and wonz, the western side of the grampians is ok when the mud is up to your knees, there is good fishing, yabbying, some foxes, rabbits ect.. but what l found is that it takes a lot of rain to get the deer down from the mountain top

l have found deer at devils garden usually on the western and southern side, finding a frequently used animal highway is key
these areas need to be watched from a good distance,
good luck with it :thumbsup:

hmmm interesting, I would've thought that area to be the first to get shot out given how close it is to town! I really wish DELWP would open up more land to deer hunt. Their management strategies just aren't working.
wonz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey