New Tikka CTR in 6.5 manbun or Tikka Varmint in 6.5 Swede?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

New Tikka CTR in 6.5 manbun or Tikka Varmint in 6.5 Swede?

Post by PaddyT » 02 Sep 2018, 12:28 pm

after some thoughts, am looking at a new centerfire and am tossing up between the Tikka CTR in 6.5 manbun or the Tikka Varmit in 6.5 Swede, this will mainly get used as a fallow/pig gun and mainly walk and stalk (I am 6'2 and dont think that at 8lbs either of these is overly heavy). Reason for not really looking at other brands is I am a lefty and Tikka seem to have the best range of cacky handers- am interested in peoples thoughts, am not reloading (yet) so cost/availability of hunting ammo does come into it)

cheers
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: New Rifle

Post by scoobs » 02 Sep 2018, 1:48 pm

aussie edition CTR is nice :)
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Sep 2018, 2:56 pm

You won't go wrong with either, a friend has the Varmint in 6.5x55 and it is effective hunting rig. All the other 6.5s would be very effective as well. I don't find the weight of the Varmint a problem. If I was struggling with weight there are plenty of things I can take out of my day pack.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Sep 2018, 3:09 pm

Of all the factory LH rifles, I don't see any of them out shooting you with the CTR or the Varmint. The only thing I don't like about them is the stock but there are plenty of alternatives if you cannot live with the Tupperware.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 02 Sep 2018, 4:30 pm

Mate I just recently purchased a 6.5 Manbun and was originally getting a Lithgow however after the delay I started looking at others. I was tossing up between a couple of rifles. I really wanted the Tikka CTR, however one of the forum members suggested the Sako A7 Roughtech Pro, which I liked and have subsequently purchased. As for caliber, the difference between the two 6.5 rounds you mentioned I think is negligible. Plenty of forum chat on which is better.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Sep 2018, 7:16 pm

The Sako A7 is a step up from the Tikka, very similar design in some respects. From memory it uses the recoil lug design from the 75 series. I see this design as superior to the 85 which has a very complicated lug. I also prefer the single set trigger on the Tikka. My 85 has double set trigger and sometimes after setting it forward it comes back to the mid position without letting the firing pin strike the primer. I then have to pull the trigger on the heavy normal setting. I see the Tikka varmint as the bargain of the range and would recommend it over any other factory rifle.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 02 Sep 2018, 7:25 pm

Mate as far as price goes, the Sako was circa $100 more than the CTR. Both nice rifles mate, can’t go wrong really. Either rifle in either caliber will be a good rig.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 02 Sep 2018, 7:31 pm

Ruger American Predator is available in left-handed 6.5 Creedmoor.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 02 Sep 2018, 7:50 pm

I have a t3 CTR in 308w - it’s easily my most accurate rifle, and points superbly - it’s a bit on the heavy side for trekking though - doable, but not advisable. It’s just about right for offhand however - I hate using a light floaty rifle for standing offhand, feels like trying to precisely control a helium balloon
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 02 Sep 2018, 8:17 pm

the tikka's are the go :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 02 Sep 2018, 8:54 pm

marksman wrote:the tikka's are the go :thumbsup:

Yes this is also true. Have a T3x and it is a tack driver. Quality straight out of the box.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by PaddyT » 03 Sep 2018, 12:17 pm

Pretty set on a Tikka - Sako dont have enough lefties, really after some commentry on the two calibres, i realise theres not a huge difference in performance once its left the barrel but some insights would be great.Ultimately I think im a bit biased towards the Creedmoor (mainly because it seems to be gaining popularity very quickly which means better ammo price/availability ), i think at some point i will start reloading but would rather spend the coin on a new rifle at this point rather than the reloading kit.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 03 Sep 2018, 1:40 pm

Mate have a read of this thread. Plenty more like it discussing the differences between the two.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9132
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by PaddyT » 03 Sep 2018, 2:45 pm

Not much in it really, cost of Cm ammo seems a bit better, hmm decisions, decisions!
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 03 Sep 2018, 4:18 pm

Mate I tossed up between he two as well. At the end of the day there is very little between them ballistically. Short versus long action, one is reasonably new compared to the other. Apart from that mate I chose Creedmoor because I was originally wanting a Lithgow LA102 which had just announced the 6.5CM. Now that the Lithgow is no longer an option, I would have happily had a 6.5x55 but I had already purchased brass and dies.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: New Tikka CTR in 6.5 manbun or Tikka Varmint in 6.5 Swed

Post by Flyer » 04 Sep 2018, 2:42 am

I just had a look, and it appears they don't make the A7 in a lefty.

I've got a manbun and picked up a couple of boxes of Federal 140gr softpoint ammo for $30 a box to try out and it shoots really well. But I reload and that's the main reason I went for a Creed over the Swede. The Creedmoor is a more efficient round, but you can get the 6.5x55 to go as fast or even a little faster if you load it to modern pressures.

At least with a 6.5x55 you get to use the full length Tikka action and magazine. If you ever decide to get a milsurp, plenty of those around in 6.5x55, too.

I'd say six-and-half of one and half-a-dozen-and-a-half of the other. The manbun is definitely more popular in the US, and so you can expect a lot more in the way of factory ammo and brass to come out for it. You can also buy excellent factory match ammo for it, but it's expensive.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Flyer » 04 Sep 2018, 2:46 am

SCJ429 wrote:My 85 has double set trigger and sometimes after setting it forward it comes back to the mid position without letting the firing pin strike the primer. I then have to pull the trigger on the heavy normal setting.

Yes, I discovered that, too. Especially on the bench. If you pull the set trigger too softly, it doesn't go off. So I backed my main trigger off until it was just engaging the spring and got it down to just over a pound. I don't use the set trigger anymore. I tried a lighter spring, but it wasn't any lighter than the factory spring once you back it right off as above.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by in2anity » 04 Sep 2018, 9:08 am

FWIW, in theory a longer action has more flex than a short action. In theory.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 04 Sep 2018, 4:31 pm

Tikkas have that covered with the extra metal on top of the action. While many complained about it being hard to feed and extract through the small ejector hole - and Tikka answered this with the new T3X having a larger hole - some believe the company went backwards by opening up the ejector and making the action, if not a bit weaker, at least not as stiff as the old Tikka T3 action. Action strength is one thing I wouldn't worry about in a Tikka. The thing I'm not so keen on is all that wasted real estate (added weight, length etc) and bulky magazines when chambered in .223 etc. But it's really just cosmetic, coz they shoot!
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by PaddyT » 06 Sep 2018, 11:38 am

Just put a deposit on the CTR in 6.5 cm, ive gone with the 20 inch barrel , but ive just read some stuff that 6.5cm will go better with a longer (24inch) barrell but am unsure if that will make much of a difference with the useage im going to have for it (mainly hunting)- I can change the order in the next couple of days so thoughts are appreciated
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 06 Sep 2018, 5:12 pm

PaddyT wrote:Just put a deposit on the CTR in 6.5 cm, ive gone with the 20 inch barrel , but ive just read some stuff that 6.5cm will go better with a longer (24inch) barrell but am unsure if that will make much of a difference with the useage im going to have for it (mainly hunting)- I can change the order in the next couple of days so thoughts are appreciated

My thoughts - the CTR is by definition a 20” - not sure if you can even get it in 24”? The alternative is one of the other t3s in 24”. Of course the 6.5cm is amongst the highest BCs, meaning retained velocity is maximized (helps delay when the round goes transonic), this is where a longer barrel can be advantageous for the longer burn thus higher muzzle velocity. Basically factors applicable to long range shooting. But also the 6.5cm has the added advantage of reduced recoil (compared to older cartridges). A 6.5cm with a decent muzzle brake allows a competent shooter to get their sights back on target before the round impacts, even at somewhat close ranges such as 300m. This allows a solo shooter to acquire some feedback and correct their follow-up shot accordingly. OFC this is not at all necessarily coupled to a 24” barrel - the 20” CTR (with a decent brake) is still pretty heavy, so I think it’ll dampen the 6.5cm recoil well enough. Different story for the 308 CTR though - you need a spotter with that bad boy as she bucks.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 06 Sep 2018, 8:59 pm

Muzzle break ftw. I reckon my rpr 308 had nearly sane recoil as my 6.5 without muzzle break
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 06 Sep 2018, 9:01 pm

marksman wrote:the tikka's are the go :thumbsup:

yep, no argument from me there... :clap: :clap: :friends:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 06 Sep 2018, 9:06 pm

Ziad wrote:Muzzle break ftw. I reckon my rpr 308 had nearly sane recoil as my 6.5 without muzzle break

6.5cm feels like a heavy .243 pill to me - with a brake in a heavy rifle there’s sfa boot, that’s why they’re so damned popular for silhouette - highest BC pills still got enough oomph to topple the rams
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 07 Sep 2018, 8:11 am

I also thought that the CTR only came with a 20 " barrell but it does come with a 24" - Beretta have them in stock - even in a leftie, im not keen on the idea of a break as I already have a nice case of tinnitus and really dont need to damage my hearing any more, ive shot a 243 before so with this being a 9lb plus rifle once its kitted out I am thinking recoil should be pretty managable without a break- anyway - has anyone got any thoughts on the 20 vs 24 incher?
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Sep 2018, 8:41 am

You will lose about 80 fps with a 20 inch barrel compared with a 24 inch barrel using a 140 grain projectile. If you are hunting at ranges under 500 metres you won't miss it. The shorter barrel will be handy in the bush and aids short range accuracy. Well done getting the Tikka, you will have lots of fun with it. If the trigger is too heavy, a $20 Yo Dave trigger Spring is all you need.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 07 Sep 2018, 8:48 am

PaddyT wrote:I also thought that the CTR only came with a 20 " barrell but it does come with a 24" - Beretta have them in stock - even in a leftie, im not keen on the idea of a break as I already have a nice case of tinnitus and really dont need to damage my hearing any more, ive shot a 243 before so with this being a 9lb plus rifle once its kitted out I am thinking recoil should be pretty managable without a break- anyway - has anyone got any thoughts on the 20 vs 24 incher?

The 20" is around .79" at the muzzle, if the 24" has the same profile, it will be a fairly heavy rifle. My 20" CTR is 4.2kg (scoped) and even that I find noticeably heavy to carry - I like to be under 4kg for a carry rifle. So it really depends on your intended use - the 24" will shine if you're shooting long range (700m+), but outside of that, the 20" will probably be a more appropriate "all-rounder".
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 07 Sep 2018, 9:20 am

Yep cool thats what i thought, will stick with the 20" .
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics