How do you anneal your cases...?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: How do you anneal your cases...?

Post by Bills Shed » 03 May 2018, 3:13 pm

image.jpeg
Swinging base
image.jpeg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 6608 times
image.jpeg
Case in position
image.jpeg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 6608 times

As you can see it does not look pretty but it is as solid as. The trigger of the drill is just wired down so that it rotates approx 30 RPM or whatever you feel gets an even heat. The case holder is nothing more than a tec screw driver of the appropriate size. The drill is supported in its own cradle and so is steady and you do not touch the drill during the process once set up. Light the heating torch, put case onto spinning tech driver, swing heating torch into position, do your count, swing away heat and flick case into water.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 03 May 2018, 3:54 pm

Stix wrote:
bigrich wrote:How often should you aneal your case necks anyway? Is this a caliber specific thing ? Just starting to get into reloading so any advice would be appreciated

Dunno mate...im not the expert...!!!
I have two hundred of 22-250 cases, and 100 204 cases all at 4x fired.
Some of the 22-250 cases are going through the split neck syndrome every time i fire them now so i think thats telling me something.
My thoughts are every 4 firings, but if i get/make a machine annealer, i can see me doing it every time i wet tumble...!!! :D

Wow I've reloaded my 22.250 around double that and the same for the 204 and I reckon I've had only a couple of cases that have had split necks. :unknown: the 204 is over max recommended loads and the 250 is only running around 3600fps if memory serves me correctly.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2018, 4:05 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Stix wrote:
bigrich wrote:How often should you aneal your case necks anyway? Is this a caliber specific thing ? Just starting to get into reloading so any advice would be appreciated

Some of the 22-250 cases are going through the split neck syndrome every time i fire them now so i think thats telling me something.
My thoughts are every 4 firings, but if i get/make a machine annealer, i can see me doing it every time i wet tumble...!!! :D

Wow I've reloaded my 22.250 around double that and the same for the 204 and I reckon I've had only a couple of cases that have had split necks. :unknown: the 204 is over max recommended loads and the 250 is only running around 3600fps if memory serves me correctly.

thanks for the replies and info fellas. i think billshed battery drill set up is right up my alley as something i can fabricate myself. just out of curiosity billshed, is that a "k" hornet case in that hex head bit ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stix » 03 May 2018, 4:34 pm

Hey Bigrich...this is an annealing thread...no hornets to seen here mate..only good ideas, blue flames & glowing brass... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2018, 4:45 pm

you know you want one stix.......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 03 May 2018, 5:57 pm

bigrich wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Stix wrote:

thanks for the replies and info fellas. i think billshed battery drill set up is right up my alley as something i can fabricate myself. just out of curiosity billshed, is that a "k" hornet case in that hex head bit ?

Yep KHornet, it has moved on since I took that pic but it was OK as a fun wildcat. Personally I do not think it was any better than a standard 22 hornet once you found a decent load. That brass was very thin and annealing for fire forming and just general crack prevention was a must. Winchester brass is just hard and a bit unforgiving. With good annealing I am now using some of that brass as a 17 hornet.

Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2018, 6:01 pm

thanks for the info bill, i am starting to reload on 6.5x55 se, but also own 22-250 and, 22 hornet. any other info on annealing with the hornet ? the brass is that thin you could do it with a cigarette lighter ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stix » 03 May 2018, 6:17 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Stix wrote:

Yes mate ive probably given the wrong impression...
I suspect the 22-250 cases im speaking of are either a dodgy batch or more to the point i got ripped a new one by the guy i bought them from, believing they were once fired. He did state they were, & that they were all FL sized, but his sizing is all over the place & many are tight to chamber & measure very long blown out shoulders which is clearly indicative of having not been sized, or not being sized properly...either way i was loosing 1-3 cases/50 with split necks every firing so id like to see if annealing them lowers the fatality rate.

The 204 cases i have are probably fine, but ive had a few unexplained & very abnormal big misses with it last time out, so id like to anneal the cases to make myself more sure its not bad neck tension..

I suspect the out of the ordinary misses to be the new & possibly dodgy batch of proj's im on...amongst 3 very out of the ordinary complete misses on foxes within 220 yds, one of them was a front on shot on a fox sitting at 200 yds into an approx 5mph wind from 1pm off the heavy bag over the bonnet-basically a given bang flop & an almost unmissable shot really-taking my time for the shot i had the cross hairs weighted to the right of centre of its chest & squeezed off what honestly was a nice shot...i can only describe the sound that followed as a combo of the sound effect used in war movies for a mortar travelling through the air combined with one of those whistling/screaming fire crackers...
My guess is the jacket had partially ripped off the bullet in the barrel--it really was an incredible & eery sound to hear at night by myself..that shot also completely missed the fox...
I need to put a few on paper to see how they print as i haven't done that with this batch, but id just like to anneal the cases anyway
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bills Shed » 03 May 2018, 6:17 pm

Yep bloody thin, I actually did try a cig lighter!....not quite. As to annealing the hornet, it is quick. Darkened room, keep an eye on the colour of the neck, the dullest of red is more than enough. Depending on how you set up your heat source, about three seconds would be about it so do not hang about. Bigger cases, longer time. You may lose a case or two in the set up but you learn real quick.

Bill
image.jpeg
Annealed KHornet cases
image.jpeg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 6680 times
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2018, 6:26 pm

thanks bill. might look into getting some sort of small hobby gas torch specially for the hornet .how often would you advise annealing standard hornet cases ? cheers mate :thumbsup: :drinks:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2018, 6:30 pm

geez stix , ya shootin' at poor foxes with a horizontal rifled mortar now ? :lol: no helpin' you mate , you'll be useing a flamethrower on wabbit warrens next ! :lol: :lol: if you throw ya cases in the hole first you can do your annealing at the same time ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 03 May 2018, 6:37 pm

bigrich wrote:thanks bill. might look into getting some sort of small hobby gas torch specially for the hornet .how often would you advise annealing standard hornet cases ? cheers mate :thumbsup: :drinks:

That is a bit of, how long is a bit of string, but for a mild load and to be a bit preventative in regards to cracked necks, I anneal the hornet every three firings.

Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2018, 6:44 pm

i appreciate the info bill, as working all this out through my own experimentation would take up a bit of stuffing around on my part. have a beer for me bill . cheers
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stix » 03 May 2018, 7:24 pm

Bills Shed wrote:... ... how long is a bit of string.... ...

Bill

Just for interests sake, the answer i give straight back to anyone that asks me this question is..."equidistant from the centre"...you have to try it some time...the reaction is often priceless...!! :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2018, 7:36 pm

them's big words for this time of night stix :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stix » 03 May 2018, 7:57 pm

bigrich wrote:geez stix , ya shootin' at poor foxes with a horizontal rifled mortar now ? :lol: no helpin' you mate , you'll be useing a flamethrower on wabbit warrens next ! :lol: :lol: if you throw ya cases in the hole first you can do your annealing at the same time ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :thumbsup:

Ya know rich, really...that is a silly thing to say...& i dont know if its funny because you're drinking, or if its funny cos im drinking..but for some reason it is funny :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2018, 8:01 pm

Stix wrote:
bigrich wrote:geez stix , ya shootin' at poor foxes with a horizontal rifled mortar now ? :lol: no helpin' you mate , you'll be useing a flamethrower on wabbit warrens next ! :lol: :lol: if you throw ya cases in the hole first you can do your annealing at the same time ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :thumbsup:

Ya know rich, really...that is a silly thing to say...& i dont know if its funny because you're drinking, or if its funny cos im drinking..but for some reason it is funny :lol:

:lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup: :roll: :drinks: :crazy: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 03 May 2018, 8:03 pm

Funny and maybe even logical but still with no answer. I just cut a piece of string and give it to them and say....that long!
Talk about getting off topic again :shock:
Bill
Last edited by Bills Shed on 03 May 2018, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Apollo » 03 May 2018, 8:03 pm

Stix wrote:Well if by pilots you are refering to shell holder i know you have whats needed for my cases..!!

I didn't think you would loose any cases from testing with that machine...
From memory the guy i know just measures the case thickness, & looks up a list on the net for that cartridge & brand of brass & programs in a number into the machine...
Then presto, a few minutes later there is 100 annealed cases cooling in a tray....!

The AMP Pilot is the bit that screws into the top of the AMP Annealer. The Shell Holder that is the same as used in a Reloading Press but in it's own Grip Holder so you can insert and remove a case to anneal it.

The AMP in Analise Mode to get the correct setting for annealing will test one case to virtual destruction, melting point. It's useless afterwards as it's been very over heated.

Measuring case thickness, neck thickness is just a guess as even from the same manufacturer the composition of the brass varies from batch to batch so does the required annealing setting. A starting point only but much better if one case is tested from a whole batch the same.

Another point is that some cases when annealed correctly will NOT show any annealing marks. It all depends on the state of the outside surface of the brass case. Some polished cases will not show anything, where as some tarnished cases will show a very drastic looking annealing mark.

As mentioned, the AMP is not cheap by any means. It is probably intended for precision/competition shooters that want to have the same neck tension for every round, every time and hence another over the top method gone to produce the best most repeatable results possible.

Since I have all the gear, I treat my hunting/varminting/target rounds all the same even down to weight sorting everything and weighing powder loads down to one granule of powder. It really does pay off with consistent accuracy and one shot kills. Keeps me away from that silly TV at night and end up with something very useful for me.

I do not have a #07 Pilot required for a 22-250 but I do have a #19 for the 204 Ruger as I do have that calibre being a Sako 85 that shoots 1/4 MOA or better using Nosler Custom Competition Cases.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 03 May 2018, 9:01 pm

I really really wish I had an AMP I would do my brass every time I shoot the 308 competitively and am doing pretty well but I know if I had a better neck tension then my SD would come down and help just that little bit at the longs. If you need someone to leave it to in your will, I will put it to good use. In fact I would probably put it at the clubhouse so everyone could do their brass each week.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigrich » 04 May 2018, 4:53 am

wow apollo, just looked it up. that AMP machine is a great bit of gear. more than i can afford however. i reckon SG you might be onto something involving clubs but. if a club pooled resources and bought one for it's members to use.... maybe SSAA could send me one for x-mas ? :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 04 May 2018, 9:40 am

Have a look at this he has a a video of how it is set up and works . for under 300 $ I think they would be USA $
http://www.annealeez.com/
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 04 May 2018, 3:38 pm

looks like a "out of the box thinking" approach pomemax . different syle with the horizontal rollers, but it automatically "ejects" the treated case. wonder if some enterprising aussie could start making them ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 05 May 2018, 12:17 am

bigrich wrote:looks like a "out of the box thinking" approach pomemax . different syle with the horizontal rollers, but it automatically "ejects" the treated case. wonder if some enterprising aussie could start making them ?

why would you he ships to here
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 05 May 2018, 1:56 am

Look up "Skip Annealer" he is a nice bloke... Moved from WA to Mexico (Victoria)... :drinks: :drinks: :friends: :friends: :unknown: :unknown:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 05 May 2018, 6:06 am

pomemax wrote:
bigrich wrote:looks like a "out of the box thinking" approach pomemax . different syle with the horizontal rollers, but it automatically "ejects" the treated case. wonder if some enterprising aussie could start making them ?

why would you he ships to here

yeh i guess if he ships to here, depends on the cost too but. i just think it would be nice to buy and support local product.
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 05 May 2018, 1:03 pm

Apollo wrote:Look up "Skip Annealer" he is a nice bloke... Moved from WA to Mexico (Victoria)... :drinks: :drinks: :friends: :friends: :unknown: :unknown:
skipps Black bettly aint seen that in a few years
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by nightforcenxs » 10 May 2018, 5:55 pm

just bought the AMP machine today and must say it was alot of money but damn its worth it super easy to use will share some updates how it helps with groups and brass life
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 11 Sep 2018, 8:00 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Stix,

I'm about to build my own blow-torch annealer; pretty sure I have assembled the gear I should need, and then some extra odds & ends to tweak the design.
It might be a month or so before I'm underway, but I should have an idea of what gear I've bought will work, and what is a waste of time.
The parts required have been a confusing mess to figure out, and it's been pretty frustrating at times.
[If you do go the path of making your own, let me know if you'd like a short length of nylon rod, to use for the drum that picks up a case from the hopper. I ended up buying a metre of heat-tolerant nylon rod 80mm diameter, and I'm pretty darn sure I wont ever use half of it. It's supposed to be tolerant of temps up to around 100 degrees.
See http://www.engineeringplasticsonline.co ... ory/30-rod for specs]

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Rod.

Hey Rod, how'd you go with this...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 13 Sep 2018, 9:15 pm

So...im using a yellow trade flame blow torch to try this annealing caper...& im having trouble seeing any colour changes in the brass as its heating...this is due to the flame really.

Ive tried in dim light , no light or normally lit room...no luck seeing any colour changes in the brass itself.

Is there any way of telling by the flame itself...?

Any tips would be great.
Cheers
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading ammunition