Lithgow 243 added recall

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Lithgow 243 added recall

Post by Cryptic » 30 Aug 2018, 2:41 pm

Just found an update on the safety recall list for the 243 now as well.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall/lithgow-arms-la102-crossover-rifle-223-and-243-calibre
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Lithgow 243 added recall

Post by Daddybang » 30 Aug 2018, 2:47 pm

It just going from bad to worse for Lithgow by the sounds of things!!! :thumbsdown: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2018, 2:55 pm

Sounds like the old "Buy Australian! Nobody else will!" slogans we had decades back.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 30 Aug 2018, 3:02 pm

bladeracer wrote:Sounds like the old "Buy Australian! Nobody else will!" slogans we had decades back.

Yeah but the barrels are made offshore so it's not a problem with Australian quality.... :lol:
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 30 Aug 2018, 3:22 pm

brett1868 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Sounds like the old "Buy Australian! Nobody else will!" slogans we had decades back.

Yeah but the barrels are made offshore so it's not a problem with Australian quality.... :lol:

That's one way of lookin at the positive side!!
:thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 30 Aug 2018, 4:15 pm

Bugger!!.....mines not long been re-barreled, took them a couple of months to sort that out, and that was when they didn’t have 1000 other rifles to fix....looks like I’ll be without my favourite rifle for another few months.... :cry:

Wonder if we should all send our 308’s in as well to get in early before that recall.... :huh: :huh:
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 30 Aug 2018, 4:38 pm

Pythonkeeper wrote:Bugger!!.....mines not long been re-barreled, took them a couple of months to sort that out, and that was when they didn’t have 1000 other rifles to fix....looks like I’ll be without my favourite rifle for another few months.... :cry:

Wonder if we should all send our 308’s in as well to get in early before that recall.... :huh: :huh:

I'm thankful that I kept the box my 22Magnum came in, that'll be on the list eventually I suspect :(
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2018, 4:42 pm

brett1868 wrote:I'm thankful that I kept the box my 22Magnum came in, that'll be on the list eventually I suspect :(

Bugger me, they're going to start recalling the boxes next!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Pythonkeeper » 30 Aug 2018, 4:49 pm

Speaking of boxes...when I purchased my 308 Lithgow, the serial number on the box wasn’t the serial number on the rifle so there was a bit of a mixup that had to be fixed between a couple of stores that had the wrong numbers logged in due to the wrong rifles being put in the wrong boxes ( by Lithgow not the stores), thankfully they got the number right on my PTA so I didn’t have to put up with any hassles.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 30 Aug 2018, 6:12 pm

might wait awhile before i buy my 243 :problem: still going to get a Lithgow but not this year :( what am i going to get for xmass now??? :violin:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 30 Aug 2018, 6:24 pm

I cancelled my Lithgow order today. Had my heart set on one but bloody hell what a mess. Maybe when they sort themselves out I will revisit it.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 30 Aug 2018, 6:24 pm

bladeracer wrote:
brett1868 wrote:I'm thankful that I kept the box my 22Magnum came in, that'll be on the list eventually I suspect :(

Bugger me, they're going to start recalling the boxes next!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by albat » 30 Aug 2018, 9:39 pm

sounds like their quality control department as been relocated to india , get some shares in beretta before the 308 letsgow
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 31 Aug 2018, 6:05 am

Why can't they just run a drill through the 223 to get 243 cal. Cheaper than getting new barrel blanks. I'll give them my two drills for free
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 31 Aug 2018, 12:20 pm

brett1868 wrote:

Are they not made here? I found this from 2013, but don't know how accurate it is: http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/news/ ... ting-rifle

“Each military grade steel barrel will be cold forged, manufactured on the same machine at Lithgow that makes barrels for the ADF’s Austeyr rifles and ensures their outstanding accuracy – the only such machine in the southern hemisphere,” the company says.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by albat » 31 Aug 2018, 1:03 pm

yeah lets hope this issue does'nt affect the military rifles , where your life really depends on your rifle!
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jon79 » 31 Aug 2018, 2:15 pm

I was going to spend the extra coin and go the Lithgow when I bought my 243...….think I might have been lucky I went the cheap option of the Howa package deal now, not great advertisement for Lithgow
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by DeadPool » 03 Sep 2018, 12:18 pm

I'm feeling kind of lucky the registry is taking so long with my PTA, otherwise i would have pulled the trigger one one of these and be sending it back already. I'm looking at the Tikka T3x now.
I really want to support LA but geez....they need to get their proverbial together with these barrels.
DeadPool
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 03 Sep 2018, 1:29 pm

No, the barrels are not made offshore.

http://www.lithgowarms.com/the-science- ... -493600885
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 03 Sep 2018, 8:44 pm

This is an absolute disaster for Lithgow - i assume the 308 will be next??
I dare say Lithgow are being very cautious and recalling the rifles through the ACCC guidelines - but this still leaves many hunters and shooter without a rifle - if that is their only rifle........

I sincerely hope that Lithgow do all they can to make sure their customers are duly inconvenienced when sending their rifles in.
CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by straightshooter » 04 Sep 2018, 7:47 am

What an inauspicious start to what should have been a significant manufacturing venture.
This is starting to take on the appearance of a basic design deficiency.
In normal commercial business circumstances 'heads would roll', but having spoken with somebody who has worked there in the recent past, that is not likely to happen in what is the cosy little closed shop at Lithgow Arms.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 05 Sep 2018, 8:28 pm

Yes - all us owners of the 308 LA102 are waiting with baited breath to see if our rifles will need a re-barrel.
What a complete disaster . I hope that they will promptly rectify all the issues and get rifles back to everyone affected. In reality they should have offered a full refund but then we would go off and buy a tikka , howa or similar...... but their reputation is severely dented and the only way for them to resurrect themselves is to source quality barrels from overseas or locally and fit these to their rifles - and make it a known fact. Forget using their own barrels - that didn't work.
I will be keeping a close eye on their website and anticipate a "308 recall notice" eventually - hope i am proven wrong.
CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 05 Sep 2018, 9:04 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:No, the barrels are not made offshore.

That whole press release is stinky, may as well be McDonalds boasting about their coffee beans.
The Lithgow Arms of new was always betting on a bit of nostaligia and national pride, no sympathy from me when their product is s**t.
Bigjobss

Post by Gaznazdiak » 06 Sep 2018, 9:52 am

Bigjobss wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:No, the barrels are not made offshore.

That whole press release is stinky, may as well be McDonalds boasting about their coffee beans.
The Lithgow Arms of new was always betting on a bit of nostaligia and national pride, no sympathy from me when their product is s**t.

I was merely pointing out that the barrels are made here, not trying to defend their sudden drop in product quality control since they expanded the civilian range from the excellent LA101.

None of them have been recalled have they?
Or do you have a complaint about them nobody's heard of?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by the big man » 12 Sep 2018, 9:04 pm

dont hold your breath on the turn around times my 243 brothers my 223 has been there for 2.5 months now with very little comunication the only time i get an email is when i call and harass them then i get one allmost emediatly when i first called them before sending it they said an 8 to 10 working day turn around they now have had mine as long as i have owned it customer service at its finest :x
dont let the apprentice touch anything but the broom!!!!
the big man
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Gaznazdiak » 12 Sep 2018, 9:19 pm

the big man wrote:dont hold your breath on the turn around times my 243 brothers my 223 has been there for 2.5 months now with very little comunication the only time i get an email is when i call and harass them then i get one allmost emediatly when i first called them before sending it they said an 8 to 10 working day turn around they now have had mine as long as i have owned it customer service at its finest :x

Doesn't it sh!t you when a sales dept answer you immediately but the support dept of the same company piss you around no end when their product falls below expectations?

I had no end of dramas with a faulty PC and couldn't get the vendor to return a call or email. Then I asked them in my next email if I could get a better response by starting a social media campaign highlighting their lack of backup.

Surprise surprise, I was offered a new PC, free delivery and an upgrade as an apology.

Perhaps a Facebook page dedicated to Lithgow's lack of interest in backing up their customers once they've made a sale might provide the incentive to remove the digit from the anus.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by the big man » 12 Sep 2018, 9:40 pm

to be honest i would just like to see some customer service not just hear how good it is from them and im sick of hearing the same speal every time i call oh yeah dont bother asking a for a boss there to call you back regarding why the f its taking so long tried that twice now over a two week period still nothing buy australian they said oh how thats working for me
the big man
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Gaznazdiak » 12 Sep 2018, 9:49 pm

the big man wrote:to be honest i would just like to see some customer service not just hear how good it is from them and im sick of hearing the same speal every time i call oh yeah dont bother asking a for a boss there to call you back regarding why the f its taking so long tried that twice now over a two week period still nothing buy australian they said oh how thats working for me

Then it's time to put their feet to the fire.

Social media rules now, they use it to promote themselves, so it's time to use their own tools against them.

That being the case, stick it to them.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 13 Sep 2018, 9:23 pm

Lithgow have issued the 223 and 243 recall in line with ACCC guidelines and i heard today that the first 223's they received are now on their way back to their owners - how many rifles this entails is beyond me but its a start at least.
I wonder how many people will be ignorant to the recall, nit even knowing anything about it??- and using their 223 and 243's as we speak.
I sincerely hope the 308 isnt recalled ...maybe they are leaving the most till last ??
I will wait the process out (as a LA102 .308 owner) and hope that calibre isnt recalled.

People can express their opinions on social media - but flaws in rifle design are not new and i can name one big and expensive make that fails to recognise a flaw with its action (on a current model-) and put the onus on the owner to sort it out themselves.

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by the big man » 14 Sep 2018, 2:20 pm

solarpak old mate have u even read the accc guidlines on this i have firstly if i had known of this fault i wouldnt have bought it remembering at the stage i sent it bak it was 2.5 months old secondly i would class this as a dangerous product explosive gas escaping thats danerous isnt it thirdly as the consumer i have a right to a refund or replacement only from the point of sales the only problem with this if i do any of this its to my firearms dealer who is the best bloke ever and i like walking into his small one man buisness he would then have to deal with the refund i think la should so i sent it back to avoid this so i have sent this below grade item back for repair and saying that the accc also says repair should be in a timely fashion would you consider 2.5 months with almost no comunication timely i dont there idea of communication has gone like this nothing till i ring them and say what is going on i get the corperate speal an email follows that then the cycle repeats and as stated dont bother trying to get anyone with authority there to call you back just doesnt happen is that customer service? just saying im in the situation right now last time i called on tue 10th they couldnt even tell me what stage my rifle was at just saying its pritty s**ty now i of all people understand problems happen in business but its how you deal with the problem and how you treat people as to weather they come back again my 223 will be sold as soon as it comes back hey you wanna buy it and my idea of bying a 101 and a woomera 308 has now gone due to me seeing how poorly i have been treated now for your benefit as a consumer please get onto the accc website or call them as i have several times to find out everyones rights :thumbsup: regarding this
the big man
Recruit
Recruit

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles