Barrel squeak when pushing patch through.

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Barrel squeak when pushing patch through.

Post by Toppy91 » 14 Sep 2018, 6:33 pm

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, brand new Howa and cleaning gear using one piece carbon fibre rod. When I push a patch through I am getting a squeak. Should I be concerned?
Toppy91
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Barrel squeak when pushing patch through.

Post by Gaznazdiak » 14 Sep 2018, 6:40 pm

Means the patch is nice and tight and doing a good job.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Toppy91 » 14 Sep 2018, 6:50 pm

Sweet. Being a newbie I was paranoid!
Toppy91
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 14 Sep 2018, 7:03 pm

No worries toppy, that's how you learn, asking someone who has thought " WTF's that squeak?" and has asked someone else :thumbsup:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Toppy91 » 14 Sep 2018, 7:10 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:No worries toppy, that's how you learn, asking someone who has thought " WTF's that squeak?" and has asked someone else :thumbsup:

Haha and the knowledge circle continues
Toppy91
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 14 Sep 2018, 7:29 pm

Toppy91 wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:No worries toppy, that's how you learn, asking someone who has thought " WTF's that squeak?" and has asked someone else :thumbsup:

Haha and the knowledge circle continues

No such thing as a stupid question.
Stupid not to ask, if you need to know
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 14 Sep 2018, 7:50 pm

I used to use a clp that used to make a squeak sound when pushing a patch threw
the clp actually left a surface layer that was near impossible to remove that gunked up my rifle pretty bad
my rifle became almost inoperable after around 12 months
the residue left was a green colour and took a lot of different solvents to get it out
funny the rifle started to shoot straight again when I got it out :thumbsup:
I dont use that ****** any more :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 14 Sep 2018, 7:51 pm

Ever heard of squeaky clean.Welcome to the fascinating world of firearms maintenance
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Toppy91 » 14 Sep 2018, 8:56 pm

marksman wrote:I used to use a clp that used to make a squeak sound when pushing a patch threw
the clp actually left a surface layer that was near impossible to remove that gunked up my rifle pretty bad
the residue left was a green colour and took a lot of different solvents to get it out

Hopefully not G96 lol
Toppy91
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by marksman » 14 Sep 2018, 11:29 pm

no it wasn't :thumbsup:
but I did think it was squeaky clean for 12 months :thumbsdown:
apparently this stuff was made from all natural plant substances and put a layer down to stop the fouling sticking to the bore
but it sara lee'd on me layer upon layer upon layer till the rifle wouldn't shoot any more
I put it aside for a month or two then when I went back to it I could see the coating over everything
my bolt wouldn't slide smoothly and the coating was inhibiting a patch to run smoothly down the bore
I had to autosol the bore to get the gunk out and I used spray paint gunwash to clean the bolt and action
it shoots fine again but I will never use that crap again :thumbsdown:
as the guys have said though a tight patch can give a squeaky noise :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 15 Sep 2018, 8:16 am

Toppy91 wrote:Hey guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, brand new Howa and cleaning gear using one piece carbon fibre rod. When I push a patch through I am getting a squeak. Should I be concerned?

It depends on what is causing the actual squeak.
Rarely it may be due to a very tight dry patch in a dry bore.
The greater possibility is that the rod is bending and rubbing on the bore. So the woven carbon fibre pattern is 'playing' the barrel much as a bow plays on a fiddle. In this particular case the carbon fibre is also acting as an abrasive. Keep in mind what diamond is composed of. Eventually the damage it does will become visible.
Don't think that using a bore guide will prevent that kind of damage. It won't if you are sufficiently ham fisted.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Sep 2018, 8:55 am

marksman wrote:I used to use a clp that used to make a squeak sound when pushing a patch threw

What was it?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Toppy91 » 15 Sep 2018, 9:48 am

straightshooter wrote:
Toppy91 wrote:Hey guys,

It depends on what is causing the actual squeak.
Rarely it may be due to a very tight dry patch in a dry bore.
The greater possibility is that the rod is bending and rubbing on the bore. So the woven carbon fibre pattern is 'playing' the barrel much as a bow plays on a fiddle. In this particular case the carbon fibre is also acting as an abrasive. Keep in mind what diamond is composed of. Eventually the damage it does will become visible.
Don't think that using a bore guide will prevent that kind of damage. It won't if you are sufficiently ham fisted.

Thanks mate. This was a concern but I backed it off and went very slowly making sure the rod was straight and was still making it. Hopefully just a tight patch and extra clean
Toppy91
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by marksman » 15 Sep 2018, 10:53 am

bigfellascott wrote:

What was it?

gunzilla :thumbsdown:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Sep 2018, 10:54 am

Dry tight patches are more likely to squeak, if you are using solvent on the patch and it squeaks then use more solvent. If your patches are ultra tight where you are putting a lot of force into the rod to push it through then you should trim the patches down. I have watched some of Australia's top competition shooters clean their rifles and they never use heaps of force to clean the barrel. They do use fairly wet patches however.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 15 Sep 2018, 11:24 am

Want to hear squeek...?

Push a firm fitting to tight patch soaked in metho on an aluminium jag down a clean shiny bore that's yet to be anointed with oil...that sound...well it'll send shivers down your spine...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Toppy91 » 15 Sep 2018, 12:49 pm

Stix wrote:Want to hear squeek...?

Push a firm fitting to tight patch soaked in metho on an aluminium jag down a clean shiny bore that's yet to be anointed with oil...that sound...well it'll send shivers down your spine...!!

No thanks. This is bad enough haha
Toppy91
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Sep 2018, 8:26 am

"Keep in mind what diamond is composed of."

I have seen this suggestion before.

Just because it's carbon does not automatically mean it can cause damage. Diamonds are pure carbon with a particular form/structure. Graphite, a fantastic lubricant is also pure carbon, just different structure.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 16 Sep 2018, 11:25 am

Got it right there Oldbloke, carbon fiber may have ten times the tensile strengh of steel, but it is nowhere near as hard.

Many people get the two confused. As you point out, it's all down to structure, how the carbon atoms are joined to each other in the different forms it can take.

When carbon fibre matting is used in small scale manufacturing like bespoke automotive applications it is cut with ordinary scissors.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 16 Sep 2018, 12:22 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"Keep in mind what diamond is composed of."

I have seen this suggestion before.

Just because it's carbon does not automatically mean it can cause damage. Diamonds are pure carbon with a particular form/structure. Graphite, a fantastic lubricant is also pure carbon, just different structure.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon

You might try googling the properties of "carbon fibre" if necessary.
The original poster said that is what he was using and not a glorified lead pencil.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Sep 2018, 12:47 pm

I use G96 but I clean the barrel with Hopes solvent and use Sweets for copper removal
then G96 for lub and barrel protection from rust after cleaning so far it has worked for me
Member-Deleted

Return to Gunsmithing