new look for little river

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

new look for little river

Post by marksman » 16 Sep 2018, 7:02 pm

:wtf:

hope nobody was under it when it blew off
:shock: blamed on nature
the part that's blown over by the wind has been there for about 3 years
the other end has been there for many years
I think some questions need to be asked :roll: :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: new look for little river

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Sep 2018, 8:11 pm

Been there a long time. May have been built by volunteers with little knowledge of bulding regulations.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 16 Sep 2018, 8:23 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Been there a long time. May have been built by volunteers with little knowledge of bulding regulations.

the southern part that still stands may well have been
that was the addition to the original old range when it was extended many years ago Oldbloke
the part that is down was what was replaced by outside contractors about 3 years ago
I think the original one may have been there for 35-40 years till it collapsed around 3 years ago
I do believe that one the original would have been put up by volunteers :thumbsup:
that's when you decided out of the shooters on the day who would be RO after you went and shot some bunnies for the pot :thumbsup:
the good old days :drinks: I think a crowd was 10 or 11 shooters at that time
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 16 Sep 2018, 11:36 pm

:shock: WOW...!!!

Poorly engineered & poorly built with no check n bslances in place...
All too common these days. :roll:

Probably the good ol' "these posts are too long lets cut em.off" & "a bag a concrete per hole" jobby... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bet your bottom dollar no one is "responsible"...!!!

If i were the club id be hoping the insurance co dont employ a good builder surveyor or engineer who actually knows what their doin to go over all the building specs n plans with a magnifier. :oops:

If they want it built properly let me know...ill come over & do it...!! :clap: :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Sep 2018, 11:59 pm

See what muzzle brakes can do when they all fire a once :silent: :) :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
Crikey did it blow over on a shooting day? :shock:
Looks like the strength wasn't in the structure or the holding down bolts weren't put into the foundations properly but
hard to tell from a photo hey :unknown:
Best of luck on their rebuild :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Sep 2018, 2:53 am

Those who think there is a problem with anchoring need to look at the 2nd pic again, the posts, which are original, are still well anchored to the slab. So much so that several have bent well over but have not pulled out of the base, though the one between 7 and 8 looks to have pulled up. The replacement work done a couple of years ago was all the roofing at the northern end, looks like they didn't fix, or at least check, the joining of the purlins. At the time sub-clubs offering to do the work were told by range management that we were not permitted to do the work and a "qualified contractor" would be employed. So much for that idea.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 17 Sep 2018, 6:01 am

I too think GDB, must be a big muzzle break... I didn't know they allowed 105mm howitzers at little river.
Last edited by Sergeant Hartman on 17 Sep 2018, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 17 Sep 2018, 7:08 am

Amazing what a bit of wind can do hey!!! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Sep 2018, 8:40 am

Geez Ziad I wish you would word your post a little better the first half sounds like i'm the muzzle brake :lol: :lol: :lol:
But then again I do get a little wind from time to time :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Talk about what a little wind can do DB my grand daughter is nearly 4 and she cleared the kitchen out the other day
Fekken hell it stunk :silent: :) :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 17 Sep 2018, 9:29 am

Lol... edited for you
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 17 Sep 2018, 9:35 am

they don't allow the muzzle brakes down that end of the firing line as the girls in the office get headaches because the office is not sound proofed
IMO the contractor did what he was paid for, I was around at the time and know that management at state level controlled the roof being built
the range was in between range managers at the time and they had a caretaker looking after the managers desk under the control of the facility's manager
the sub clubs did offer to do the work and were knocked back I believe the reason said at that time was because of insurance :unknown:
bs, I believe it would have taken the limelight away from the new state management trying to look like the US cavalry :lol:
the sub clubs do bicker but they are the reason that range is what it is :drinks: they would have done the job right like they did the first time :thumbsup:
anyway I just hope nobody was under it when it went off :huh:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Sep 2018, 9:53 am

Yes marksman it's good nobody was hurt and you're right some trades people do get a bad rap because of penny pinchers
and conflict between groups when trying to do or build something :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by YoungBuck » 17 Sep 2018, 10:38 am

Oldbloke wrote:Been there a long time. May have been built by volunteers with little knowledge of bulding regulations.

I've thought the same thing. Last time I was there I was having a good look at it during a cease fire and remember thinking to myself I've never seen a frame built like that before...
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 17 Sep 2018, 11:13 am

YoungBuck wrote:

I've thought the same thing. Last time I was there I was having a good look at it during a cease fire and remember thinking to myself I've never seen a frame built like that before...

the structure legs and bracing were from the original, the ladder beams and roof were changed with proper permit's but done cheap, as requested
the original ladder beams collapsed and that half of the range was closed down after a high wind was lifting the roof two feet into the air
the way the original roof was made was way heavier than the new one yet it lifted in wind :unknown: should be logical not to do it lighter
the original roof had a big hole at about bench #5 in the roof where a black powder rifle cooked off and put a shot through the roof :lol:
it was standing in a rack at the bench at the time, it wasn't an unsafe practice
I remember the amount of lead that came down with the old roof from ricochet's that landed on top over the years :wtf:
but that's why you should never drink the water or wash your hands from the tanks there, they say the water from over at Bruno's is ok for hand washing
I think they have a tap with bore water there now but which one :unknown:
there's a hell of a lot of history there that people change like telling a fishing yarn :thumbsup: it's like the rule's, which way is the wind blowing today :lol:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Sep 2018, 1:09 pm

G'day marksman,
It wasn't a rifle mate, it was the powder flask! It is from that incident that the rule for loading from individual containers holding 1 charge only was introduced. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 17 Sep 2018, 1:19 pm

I like marksmans story better No1... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 17 Sep 2018, 1:19 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day marksman,
It wasn't a rifle mate, it was the powder flask! It is from that incident that the rule for loading from individual containers holding 1 charge only was introduced. Cheers.

thanks for that :thumbsup:
a decent hole and good story hey :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 17 Sep 2018, 6:11 pm

At first i thought it was some artistic new structure for gun range.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 26 Sep 2018, 8:32 am

Anyone heard when the main range might be opening? Looks like it's gonna be a while.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 26 Sep 2018, 11:23 am

Range two is open/ available. No idea on main range
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 26 Sep 2018, 9:05 pm

From the website:
IMPORTANT NOTICE RE WIND DAMAGE TO MAIN RANGE 1

Main Range 1 is open in limited capacity with around a third of the range still considered unsafe. There is an ongoing investigation into how the structure will be either repaired or replaced. In the meantime, patrons are asked for their patience as we continue the work, which might take until the end of the year to complete.

All the other ranges remain unaffected and club events held on those ranges may continue as scheduled.

Sarco
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 27 Sep 2018, 10:26 am

in other words the main range (the public range) is not a priority :lol: :lol: :lol: onya ssaa
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 27 Sep 2018, 1:14 pm

Will almost need a booking system on weekends.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 07 Jun 2019, 11:51 am

just wondering has anyone got any information about when the ssaa are going to get the roof fixed :lol:
seems to be dragging on a very long time, I heard it was because they are going cheap again and are having problems getting someone to do it cheap :lol:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 07 Jun 2019, 12:13 pm

I heard that they found additional fittings under the concrete slab... this it had to go back they need to require and get insurance approval again
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 07 Jun 2019, 9:09 pm

Have a look at the SSAA Vic website and the latest issue of the Victorian Shooter (eVersion only now), and all will become clear.
I have heard it said that construction is expected to start very late June/early July.

Sarco
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 08 Jun 2019, 7:07 am

Lol mate I can assure you as of 1st June nothing has been done... no construction has been started. They did some footing works earlier but that's it
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by flashman » 08 Jun 2019, 7:28 am

Ok great new 308 win ...............no where to go ... :lol:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 08 Jun 2019, 3:09 pm

You can still shoot at range 2 matte, as always. Sunday's probably be really busy though.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 08 Jun 2019, 11:24 pm

after a bit of digging I have heard that the comp range, maybe that's what they call range 2 now has some trouble with footings and has had some maintenance done to the concrete and also that there is still a carry on about price of repairs of the mediocre roof that failed on the public range :unknown:

it's not as if they dont have the funds to do the job properly :wtf: lots of members not happy :thumbsdown:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Next

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges