Ruger American .17 HMR

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Ruger American .17 HMR

Post by Bruiser64 » 03 Sep 2018, 3:36 pm

Anyone on the forum got one of these. I was at the local gunstore the other day and just had to put a deposit on one. My stepson hogs my 22 magnum when we go bunny shooting. So I thought “stuff it: I’ll get a hmr”.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Re: Ruger American .17 HMR

Post by duncan61 » 03 Sep 2018, 3:45 pm

The first time I was shown the .17 HMR in Bunbury at Sportsmarine I just had to have something in that chambering and ordered a Ruger lever rifle.it was a good call and I had years of plinking fun till I sold it to a mate.The little pill will surprise you with its power on rabbits out to 180 metres.20 grain rounds are available as well as the standard 17gn
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 03 Sep 2018, 7:17 pm

I am planning to use it for bunnies. I shoot on a place where they like to sit outside a comfortable 22 lr range. I reckon it should be a lot of fun. The lad can keep using the magnum and I’ll use the 17. I am very happy with the Ruger American in 22 magnum, so I think the 17 should be good as well. As long as it’s not blowing 12 bastards.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by albat » 05 Sep 2018, 4:18 pm

its a bloody good grasshopper round if you need to do a cull , head popping them with the extreme accuracy of the round is a breeze with zero recoil
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 08 Sep 2018, 10:31 pm

That sounds good. I know the magnum is pretty effective with the giant bunnies. So it’s good to hear the hmr can do the job as well. I am looking forward to the flatter trajectory. I think the Ruger Americans are excellent value. If a fox comes into range it should be in trouble as well.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 09 Sep 2018, 12:00 am

Never owned a .22 magnum but have shot one once and been with shooters that had them I have always felt they were not exactly pinpoint accuracy with the copper painted cast lead slug .The .17 HMR is the most accurate Rimfire around with its ballistic tip and boat tail projectile you will out shoot the Magnum all day.Perhaps there is better Magnum ammo available today
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 09 Sep 2018, 1:02 am

duncan61 wrote:Never owned a .22 magnum but have shot one once and been with shooters that had them I have always felt they were not exactly pinpoint accuracy with the copper painted cast lead slug .The .17 HMR is the most accurate Rimfire around with its ballistic tip and boat tail projectile you will out shoot the Magnum all day.Perhaps there is better Magnum ammo available today

Copper-plated cast lead in .22WMR?
You sure you're not thinking of the old .22WCF?
WMR is usually a jacketed .224" bullet the same as used in .223 and such.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 09 Sep 2018, 9:36 am

Love my 17hmr bunnies foxes and great for culling on a calm night easily shoot out to 150 no troubles. I am curious about the 22mag but to tell you the truth im happy with the 17 and feel it does thw job perfectly.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 09 Sep 2018, 9:43 am

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Love my 17hmr bunnies foxes and great for culling on a calm night easily shoot out to 150 no troubles. I am curious about the 22mag but to tell you the truth im happy with the 17 and feel it does thw job perfectly.

Stop ssying this stuff...ive convinced myself i dont need or want one & you're doing nothing towards helping me to keep this mind set.!! :sarcasm:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 09 Sep 2018, 10:37 am

bladeracer wrote:
duncan61 wrote:Never owned a .22 magnum but have shot one once and been with shooters that had them I have always felt they were not exactly pinpoint accuracy with the copper painted cast lead slug .The .17 HMR is the most accurate Rimfire around with its ballistic tip and boat tail projectile you will out shoot the Magnum all day.Perhaps there is better Magnum ammo available today

Copper-plated cast lead in .22WMR?
You sure you're not thinking of the old .22WCF?
WMR is usually a jacketed .224" bullet the same as used in .223 and such.

I use the 30 grain Hornady Vmax ammo and that goes pretty well. It’s certainly accurate enough to head shoot a giant bunny out to 70 or so metres. I think the hmr will complement the magnum nicely. My problem with the magnum is I can’t pry it from my young stepson’s grasp.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 09 Sep 2018, 10:43 am

Stix wrote:
AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Love my 17hmr bunnies foxes and great for culling on a calm night easily shoot out to 150 no troubles. I am curious about the 22mag but to tell you the truth im happy with the 17 and feel it does thw job perfectly.

Stop ssying this stuff...ive convinced myself i dont need or want one & you're doing nothing towards helping me to keep this mind set.!! :sarcasm:

I was in the same boat. I went with the magnum over the hmr. Then I got the 204. But I realised my life was lacking the hmr. So I thought stuff it, I’ll get one anyway. The amount it will cost me is less than some blokes I work with spend on grog and durries in a month. I’ll have the hmr for years after they forgot about the cartons they drank.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Miniaction » 09 Sep 2018, 1:48 pm

I picked a second hand one up at the start of the year.

It loves the 17gr poly tip particularly the CCI A17. I had nothing but issues with the Winchester 20 gr hollow point. It would fire but not extract every single round. No other brand had the issue so I don’t run any winny stuff anymore.

If there’s any wind though don’t bother...
Miniaction
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 09 Sep 2018, 2:41 pm

I was in the market for an HMR when I was shown the WSM. I wasn't disappointed I chose the much more powerful and accurate Winchester round. The only drawback was the price of ammo due to it's relative rarity.

The rabbit in the first pic was at about 160m, and the round went through diagonally from the left shoulder, on the way through it pulverised about 3in of spine.

The second pic is the top of some W strap stock yard that I accidentally clipped at 60m. That's the top where it is folded double and about 6mm thick.
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg (509.35 KiB) Viewed 6879 times
20160906_170531.jpg
20160906_170531.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 6879 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by ClaytonT88 » 09 Sep 2018, 6:28 pm

Bloody hell, that's got some punch!
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by NUTSACK » 10 Sep 2018, 6:54 pm

I have the Ruger American in .22 mag and really like it for a play rifle. I think they would be a good thing in any light calibre especially for the price..I only went the .22 Mag as the 17hmr ammo was near impossible to find when i was buying but i want to swap it for a 17Hmr in the same rifle..
NUTSACK
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 11 Sep 2018, 8:58 pm

NUTSACK wrote:I have the Ruger American in .22 mag and really like it for a play rifle. I think they would be a good thing in any light calibre especially for the price..I only went the .22 Mag as the 17hmr ammo was near impossible to find when i was buying but i want to swap it for a 17Hmr in the same rifle..

They are a beautiful thing the 22 magnum. For the price of a new hmr, I will have both. Licensing firearms in WA is such a quest that I am better off not getting rid of any of them. I love the light weight and the feel of the Ruger American Rimfire. I can see why they are selling well.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by NUTSACK » 19 Sep 2018, 6:20 pm

Whilst the magnum is good i just feel i can shoot better than the accuracy i get from it. I also like flat fast shooting cartridges for some reason..
NUTSACK
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 20 Sep 2018, 8:01 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:I was in the market for an HMR when I was shown the WSM. I wasn't disappointed I chose the much more powerful and accurate Winchester round. The only drawback was the price of ammo due to it's relative rarity.

The rabbit in the first pic was at about 160m, and the round went through diagonally from the left shoulder, on the way through it pulverised about 3in of spine.

The second pic is the top of some W strap stock yard that I accidentally clipped at 60m. That's the top where it is folded double and about 6mm thick.

Did you shoot some targets to back up your accurate claim ??? most interweb searchs reveal the 17WSM to struggle with accuracy. What gun have you got ?
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 20 Sep 2018, 10:00 am

Bill wrote:Did you shoot some targets to back up your accurate claim ??? most interweb searchs reveal the 17WSM to struggle with accuracy. What gun have you got ?

Agreed, I'm yet to see a 17wsm that will consistently group - the bmag was garbage, and the 77/17 throws flyers. The Winchester 1885 LW looks to be the pick - although a review I saw suggested in took around 300 rounds to break in.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 20 Sep 2018, 10:39 am

in2anity wrote:
Bill wrote:Did you shoot some targets to back up your accurate claim ??? most interweb searchs reveal the 17WSM to struggle with accuracy. What gun have you got ?

Agreed, I'm yet to see a 17wsm that will consistently group - the bmag was garbage, and the 77/17 throws flyers. The Winchester 1885 LW looks to be the pick - although a review I saw suggested in took around 300 rounds to break in.

No I don't have any targets to show, I am going by the comparison of using a borrowed Ruger HMR I tried for a couple of weeks and the B-mag I bought in WSM instead. I found the B-mag to be far superior to the Ruger.

I have since traded the B-mag for the Howa .223 I use now because I can get longer range and reload for less than the price of WSM factory ammo.

You say the B-mag is garbage, is this from owning and actually using one or anecdotal?

The varmint barreled model in the Boyd's thumbhole stock that I had was a great rifle, I only traded it on the Howa because my 3 gun safe had 4 in it and wasn't going to take a 5th.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 20 Sep 2018, 6:24 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:You say the B-mag is garbage, is this from owning and actually using one or anecdotal?

Mate had one of the synthetic sporters and it felt like a plastic toy, not to mention it threw flyers like they were going out of fashion. Admittedly the thumbhole varmint looks to be better (not to mention probably groups). Guess I’ve just had bad experiences with savages in the past too, which probably makes me a little bias...
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 20 Sep 2018, 6:45 pm

in2anity wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:You say the B-mag is garbage, is this from owning and actually using one or anecdotal?

Mate had one of the synthetic sporters and it felt like a plastic toy, not to mention it threw flyers like they were going out of fashion. Admittedly the thumbhole varmint looks to be better (not to mention probably groups). Guess I’ve just had bad experiences with savages in the past too, which probably makes me a little bias...

Having a bad experience with a brand does make you look twice at any of their other products, for sure.

I had the choice of the sporter or for a few more bucks, the target/varmint version and like you I was seriously underwhelmed by the dinky sporter.

The Boyd's thumbhole laminate stock was the best timber stock I've ever used.

The difference in terminal performance of the WSM to the HMR was massive, almost like a small centerfire.

I really wish I'd had a bigger safe, if so I'd still have the WSM.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 21 Sep 2018, 8:32 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:Having a bad experience with a brand does make you look twice at any of their other products, for sure.

I had the choice of the sporter or for a few more bucks, the target/varmint version and like you I was seriously underwhelmed by the dinky sporter.

The Boyd's thumbhole laminate stock was the best timber stock I've ever used.

The difference in terminal performance of the WSM to the HMR was massive, almost like a small centerfire.

I really wish I'd had a bigger safe, if so I'd still have the WSM.
:drinks:

I want to like the 17wsm, I really do - I love the idea of a disposable, medium-range varmint cartridge. But the price of ammunition is just what kills it for me. The best I've seen is around 50c/piece- yet you can reload the 223 under 30c/piece. From a cost perspective, if the 17wsm was in the vicinity of 30c/piece I'd pick one up in a heart-beat.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 21 Sep 2018, 8:50 am

Yeah mate, ammo price is it's downfall.
My nearest gun shop is run by a lying, cheating price gouger who would skin his own grandmother for $2. I was paying $36 for 50 Winchester, and as you say, I'm now reloading for just over half that.
I don't go to his shop anymore, I drive 90km to Queanbeyan and it's still cheaper to make a special trip just for 1 500g bottle of 2206H than to buy it from him if I was already in town for something else.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 06 Jan 2019, 3:23 pm

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. I now have my 17 HMR Ruger American. I have taken it out into the field a couple of times and I am very happy with it. I also have a 22 magnum Ruger American (which I also really like), to make a direct comparison with. I am shooting 17 grain CCI ballistic tips with the HMR. I use the 30 gun Hornady VMax’s in the 22 WMR.

The most immediately obvious thing is how confidence inspiring the hmr is. It is flat shooting and has great field accuracy. You just put the cross hairs on the bunny, and down it goes. Where I was shooting last night has scrub on the edges of huge bare paddocks. The bunnies sit within (by my rough estimate), 50 to 75 metres of safety and they get pretty they. It is difficult at night for me to estimate range, so the 22lr can be a dodgy proposition. The magnum is better in this environment and the hmr is better again in my initial experience. It was a bit breezy last night, but this made no noticeable difference. At one point it was 7 bunnies for 7 shots. My young bloke (who loves the magnum) used the hmr for the first time last night. He informed me the hmr is something he loves just that whisker more. The flatter trajectory of the hmr made it easier for him to hit the bunnies at longer range than with the magnum last night.

One thing that was surprising was how “unspectacular” a bunny kill can be with the hmr. You hit most of them and they just roll over stone dead. Also on a lot of them it is hard to discern an entry wound and there are no exit wounds. The vmax appears to dump everything into the body. With the magnum and a 22lr the bunnies seem to have a lot of quivering after a shot. They are just as dead, but with more movement.

Where I live hmr ammo is more expensive than magnum ammo. But the difference is about the price of a cup of coffee and a muffin. In all honesty the ammo price is pretty irrelevant for me. Shooting is my main hobby and fuel costs me more than the ammo does. I am aware of how economically you can reload centrefires for. But I have a lot of demands on my free time, so the time saving buying factory hmr ammo is worth more to me than the dollar saving of reloading centrefire ammo. I do reload my .204 and .243, but I use them for foxing and roo shooting.

I have no regrets buying the hmr. In fact l am stoked with it. Given the relatively low purchase price of the Ruger Americans, I am more than happy to own both. For me it is not a question of only having one or the other.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by simpsonhey » 07 Jan 2019, 3:56 am

:D yep got tthe same riffle
simpsonhey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Sawyers » 07 Jan 2019, 12:31 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. I now have my 17 HMR Ruger American. I have taken it out into the field a couple of times and I am very happy with it. I also have a 22 magnum Ruger American (which I also really like), to make a direct comparison with. I am shooting 17 grain CCI ballistic tips with the HMR. I use the 30 gun Hornady VMax’s in the 22 WMR.

The most immediately obvious thing is how confidence inspiring the hmr is. It is flat shooting and has great field accuracy. You just put the cross hairs on the bunny, and down it goes. Where I was shooting last night has scrub on the edges of huge bare paddocks. The bunnies sit within (by my rough estimate), 50 to 75 metres of safety and they get pretty they. It is difficult at night for me to estimate range, so the 22lr can be a dodgy proposition. The magnum is better in this environment and the hmr is better again in my initial experience. It was a bit breezy last night, but this made no noticeable difference. At one point it was 7 bunnies for 7 shots. My young bloke (who loves the magnum) used the hmr for the first time last night. He informed me the hmr is something he loves just that whisker more. The flatter trajectory of the hmr made it easier for him to hit the bunnies at longer range than with the magnum last night.

One thing that was surprising was how “unspectacular” a bunny kill can be with the hmr. You hit most of them and they just roll over stone dead. Also on a lot of them it is hard to discern an entry wound and there are no exit wounds. The vmax appears to dump everything into the body. With the magnum and a 22lr the bunnies seem to have a lot of quivering after a shot. They are just as dead, but with more movement.

Where I live hmr ammo is more expensive than magnum ammo. But the difference is about the price of a cup of coffee and a muffin. In all honesty the ammo price is pretty irrelevant for me. Shooting is my main hobby and fuel costs me more than the ammo does. I am aware of how economically you can reload centrefires for. But I have a lot of demands on my free time, so the time saving buying factory hmr ammo is worth more to me than the dollar saving of reloading centrefire ammo. I do reload my .204 and .243, but I use them for foxing and roo shooting.

I have no regrets buying the hmr. In fact l am stoked with it. Given the relatively low purchase price of the Ruger Americans, I am more than happy to own both. For me it is not a question of only having one or the other.

Did you have any trouble from WAPOL getting a 17hmr licensed while having a 22 wmr
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 07 Jan 2019, 8:48 pm

Sawyers wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. I now have my 17 HMR Ruger American. I have taken it out into the field a couple of times and I am very happy with it. I also have a 22 magnum Ruger American (which I also really like), to make a direct comparison with. I am shooting 17 grain CCI ballistic tips with the HMR. I use the 30 gun Hornady VMax’s in the 22 WMR.

Did you have any trouble from WAPOL getting a 17hmr licensed while having a 22 wmr

No. But you need to have a valid need, which I certainly have. I shoot on a number of different properties which have different features. The HMR has a longer, more accurate range than the magnum. As well as a highly frangible projectile. I definitely find it more effective and humane in some of the situations I regularly shoot in. It is definitely a case of using the right tool for the job.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by simpsonhey » 19 Jan 2019, 5:37 am

Can you get aftermarket stocks for ruger american blued hmr17
simpsonhey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 20 Jan 2019, 4:58 pm

simpsonhey wrote:Can you get aftermarket stocks for ruger american blued hmr17

I believe Boyd’s make a stock for the Ruger American rimfire. The stock in the hmr, the magnum and the long rifle appear to be identical.

Here is a link to another forum in which a chap discusses his Boyd’s tick.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showth ... p?t=560512
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles