What to get for a 22 hornet?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

What to get for a 22 hornet?

Post by HereSkip » 07 Oct 2018, 4:43 pm

Hi guy's! Thanks for popping in to either have a look at the thread or post a helpful comment.

I just purchased my very first rifle which is a CZ 527 .22 hornet, pretty cool rifle and its a gem to shoot but i have a very average scope on it so I thought id head to the forum and get some good opinions on a solid choice for a scope?

I'd like to keep it under $500
I mainly shoot @ 100-150 meter range at night but I also like to do some plinking during the day

so far my searching has lead me to the following scopes;

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compact- ... 2-5-8x36mm $500

https://www.huntinghaven.com.au/p/redfi ... e/RED67090 $375

I'll be running factory 1" rings and my only concern is that the scope actually fits the rifle

Any helpful input or suggestions with your reasoning is appreciated, thanks guys!
"To achieve greatness you first must dream it." - Me, just then
HereSkip
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: What to get for a 22 hornet?

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 08 Oct 2018, 10:19 pm

Vortex crossfire or diamond back great warranty and great glass for price point. I own two vortex scopes on my rimfire rifles.
Leupold make the rifleman i have one of these in a 4x12 on my 308 great glass and around the 400.00 price point. Burris also make some great optics although i only have the xtr 2 on my 223 and not the cheapest scope on the shelf lol
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 09 Oct 2018, 4:31 am

go the leupold HS , you get what you pay for , and leupold have good clear optics. a bit more expensive, but meopta are very good. if your shooting factory loads, rem hp's are accurate. the most accurate i shot in my krico hornet was win 46gr hp's. not cheap at $90 a box of 50, but very accurate. 40 gr sierra "hornet" projectiles with lil gun powder and pistol primers was my favorite load. just about make one hole at 100 with that load :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Oct 2018, 4:49 am

3-9*40 is a good all round choice. Any quality scope with a fairly fine cross hairs will do the job.
Maybe also consider sitron and Bushnell.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 09 Oct 2018, 5:23 pm

I think a leupold vx1 3x9 or 4x12 will do the job nicely and under $500 :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 09 Oct 2018, 5:50 pm

Hi HereSkip...

With my fading eyesight, im a fan of the higher end magnificatiin, so id look at a minimum of 12x for the upper end of zoom range. :geek:

Ive had great sucess with bushnell elite 4500 4-16x40 day & night...& i picked one for under $500...a really great optic with 25mm choob for that money if you can get one. :clap:

If shooting mostly at night, personally i wouldnt be looking for a very fine reticle, rather you want something with contrast so a medium to thick-ish crosshair is better.

I particularly shoot a lot of bunnies & a few foxes out to 120ish to 150ish yds respectively in the spray of the light as they tend to be light shy these days.

If you use this technique you'll find you will need a medium to heavy reticle for contrast.
It slso helps for super quick target aquisition for those rapid poke out the window on the trott shots. :thumbsup:

Not sure whats available in your price point, but i know some of the zeiss range are a heavy reticle.

With only a hornet, a heavy reticle will still be ok during daylight also... :thumbsup:

Hope that helps. Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bills Shed » 09 Oct 2018, 7:53 pm

Hi HS,
Good to see another hornet shooter and newer member on the forum. I run both my hornets at all times of the day and under the light. I prefer the higher magnification as well, but that's probably because my eyes are also getting a bit tired. In the scrub about 6 power and under the light 12-14 power. I run a 4.5-14 loupy and it is more than enough.
I do not know how many rounds you have put through your 527 22hornet, but that rim on the Hornet brass will grab any burrs on a new magazine. If you have not done it already check the lips for smoothness.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by duncan61 » 09 Oct 2018, 10:07 pm

How old are you.I was not happy with the chrome looking scope that came with the .222 Ruger lightweight I purchased as my first High power rifle to do Kangaroo culling 15 years ago and put a $96 niko stirling Nighteater scope on it and never looked back until my eyesight went.Now it has something else that lights up red and green that I was given and I have not really zeroed it.Your 100-150 metres is realistic Hornets are cool
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by HereSkip » 12 Oct 2018, 5:56 pm

duncan61 wrote:How old are you.I was not happy with the chrome looking scope that came with the .222 Ruger lightweight I purchased as my first High power rifle to do Kangaroo culling 15 years ago and put a $96 niko stirling Nighteater scope on it and never looked back until my eyesight went.Now it has something else that lights up red and green that I was given and I have not really zeroed it.Your 100-150 metres is realistic Hornets are cool

I'm level 27 my good man, back then the scopes were proper good quality i dare say, now days its more about mass production then quality

i really do enjoy shooting the hornet its a great little gun and a nice slight step up from the 22 lr i shoot also
HereSkip
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Apollo » 12 Oct 2018, 7:10 pm

Be aware that the CZ 527 has issues with some scopes and ring combinations in that the Bolt Handle will foul against the Objective Lens Housing as some of them are larger in external diameter than others. I can't name them all but from memory Leupold are one of the smallest diameters.

It wasn't long before I dished a 3-9x40mm scope off my Hornet and went for something with better power to match the accuracy of my little gem.

I ended up with a Bushnell 6500 Elite 2.5-16x50mm and initially that was mounted in Warne High Mounts until a mate had problems and I gave the mounts to him to fix his issue with a new scope. These days my CZ 527 wears a factory Pic Rail and the scope is mounted in Low Leupold QRW's as I do swap the scope out to an even higher magnification when testing reloads.

Personally, I don't like any scope mounted low as to me it's way too uncomfortable leaning over the stock to sight through the scope. I'd rather keep my head more upright and take away so much cheek weld which I feel is detrimental to accuracy. Probably due to so much competition target shooting I do with very high power scopes. By that I mean the likes of an 8-80x56mm March Scope where the issue of "heart beat" has a big factor.

It's been a long time since I have used a scope that has a 1" Tube and my CZ Mounts are somewhere gathering dust. I would just be careful with which scopes to use and ideally check that the Bolt has adequate clearance. From memory the only 1" Tube Scope I have left is a Zeiss mounted sometimes on my .22LR Brno Model 2 with the rest of many being either 30mm or 34mm Tubes.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Oct 2018, 10:03 pm

One of my favourite scopes has a one inch tube, the 6.5 - 20 x 40 Leupold EFR long range. I never felt like I needed a bigger tube when using it. It would go just as well on the Hornet as it does on my 6mm.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by HereSkip » 13 Oct 2018, 10:33 am

Apollo wrote:Be aware that the CZ 527 has issues with some scopes and ring combinations in that the Bolt Handle will foul against the Objective Lens Housing as some of them are larger in external diameter than others. I can't name them all but from memory Leupold are one of the smallest diameters.

It wasn't long before I dished a 3-9x40mm scope off my Hornet and went for something with better power to match the accuracy of my little gem.

I ended up with a Bushnell 6500 Elite 2.5-16x50mm and initially that was mounted in Warne High Mounts until a mate had problems and I gave the mounts to him to fix his issue with a new scope. These days my CZ 527 wears a factory Pic Rail and the scope is mounted in Low Leupold QRW's as I do swap the scope out to an even higher magnification when testing reloads.

Personally, I don't like any scope mounted low as to me it's way too uncomfortable leaning over the stock to sight through the scope. I'd rather keep my head more upright and take away so much cheek weld which I feel is detrimental to accuracy. Probably due to so much competition target shooting I do with very high power scopes. By that I mean the likes of an 8-80x56mm March Scope where the issue of "heart beat" has a big factor.

It's been a long time since I have used a scope that has a 1" Tube and my CZ Mounts are somewhere gathering dust. I would just be careful with which scopes to use and ideally check that the Bolt has adequate clearance. From memory the only 1" Tube Scope I have left is a Zeiss mounted sometimes on my .22LR Brno Model 2 with the rest of many being either 30mm or 34mm Tubes.

It's funny you mention heart beat factor i ran into this when i was trying to shoot 200m in the prone position i have on there a 6x 40 artic fox scope and it really confused me so i went to a standing supported position and still managed to get rounds on target :unknown:
HereSkip
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Apollo » 13 Oct 2018, 7:30 pm

I know they are a bit above your budget, especially new but I picked this 2.5-16x50mm Bushnell 6500 for about $600 awhile back.

Target shot at 100 Metres, 5 x 30gr Barnes Varmint Grenades. 1" Squares.
Attachments
tn_Picture 002.jpg
tn_Picture 002.jpg (90.29 KiB) Viewed 4780 times
tn_Picture 006.jpg
tn_Picture 006.jpg (135.75 KiB) Viewed 4780 times
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by HereSkip » 14 Oct 2018, 7:06 pm

https://magnumsports.com.au/vortex-diam ... 0-bdc.html

I'm thinking about getting this gem, has a brilliant warranty and is ticking all the box's for me

what are peoples thoughts?
HereSkip
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Bills Shed » 14 Oct 2018, 7:28 pm

It would do.
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Scopes, sights and optics