M70 Winchester stock

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

M70 Winchester stock

Post by yumastepside » 09 Oct 2018, 11:16 am

Anyone got an old stock they want to get rid of?
I'm looking for an old 30-06 length model 70 Winchester stock to modify as a template. It can be broken or whatever, it doesn't matter as I intend to cut and shut it anyway.
Cheap is good, I'll pay any freight of course, but free is better ;)
My Winchester is a mid '70s model.

Cheers

Roger
yumastepside
Private
Private

Tasmania

Re: M70 Winchester stock

Post by bigrich » 09 Oct 2018, 4:48 pm

yumastepside wrote:Anyone got an old stock they want to get rid of?
I'm looking for an old 30-06 length model 70 Winchester stock to modify as a template. It can be broken or whatever, it doesn't matter as I intend to cut and shut it anyway.
Cheap is good, I'll pay any freight of course, but free is better ;)
My Winchester is a mid '70s model.

Cheers

Roger

there's a couple on rebel gun works website in brisbane . hope this helps, :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 10 Oct 2018, 3:48 pm

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by yumastepside » 10 Oct 2018, 4:29 pm

Sorry Mark, 225 bucks is a bit rich for me just to cut up, its a short action anyway, I need 30-06/270 length.This is how I make my copy stocks...

......just checked Rebel.....incredible, they actually had the correct year stock for my M70, for 150 bucks I'll buy it and restore it... :thumbsup:.......still need a stock for a template :thumbsdown: ......thanks Rich!

Roger
yumastepside
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 10 Oct 2018, 6:28 pm

glad i could help mate. that's what this forums for hey ? i have two mod 70's, a nice old 1975 222 and a 2013 fn made control feed in 6.5x55, which is why i took notice at rebel .you seem like a cluey fella, and i've got a couple of bedding projects coming up, maybe i can ask some advice of you mate :thumbsup: :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by yumastepside » 10 Oct 2018, 7:03 pm

Too easy, mines a '77, the Gabe Gatti stock's too nice, and too expensive, to take out in the scrub!

265 RCBS with stainless barrel

Roger
Last edited by yumastepside on 10 Oct 2018, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yumastepside
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 10 Oct 2018, 7:13 pm

i'm a big fan of mausers (just got rid of a real nice shooting 6.5x55 husky), but the model 70 is the ultimate evolution of that design i reckon. what caliber is yours roger ? :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 10 Oct 2018, 8:29 pm

brilliant work on the stocks :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 10 Oct 2018, 9:15 pm

265 RCBS ? haven't heard of that before roger, damn nice rifle. my 2013 6.5x55 is a supergrade , real nice stock. it got a few dents from the handbrake in my mates ute on a hunt. i tend to hold on to it a bit better now .
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by yumastepside » 10 Oct 2018, 10:51 pm

6.5-06 Improved with 28 deg. shoulder not 40° Ackley....RCBS as in Fred Huntington, he was a friend of the mate of mine who made the rifle.

Roger
yumastepside
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 11 Oct 2018, 4:43 am

6.5-06, now that’s a fine sounding caliber roger. :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by yumastepside » 11 Oct 2018, 9:30 am

Yep! big fan of the 6.5, probably have a half dozen different versions.

Roger
yumastepside
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 11 Oct 2018, 6:16 pm

your a bad influence roger, trying to get the idea of a custom build out of my head :crazy: :lol: 6.5-06 hmmmm. :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by yumastepside » 11 Oct 2018, 10:48 pm

......Woodleigh make a lovely 160gr protected point spitzer......just saying...

Roger
yumastepside
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by yumastepside » 10 Nov 2018, 11:28 am

OK, picked up an old M70 stock from Rebel in Qld, more weather aged than normal wear and tear, scraped, bleached,sanded and oiled it.
It still needs a few more coats ( BLO, turps and Danish oil with Carnauba wax ) and recut the checkering, but for a working stock , it will do.

...as bought with my barrelled action...

...as of this morning....

Roger
yumastepside
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 10 Nov 2018, 3:17 pm

turned out good mate. glad you got what you were looking for. i need a bit of advice roger, i've bin looking at a 1977 push feed model 70 chambered in 243. i was thinking of reworking this rifle and rechambering to 358 win . can you think of any problems with this idea ? the owner of my local gun shop reckons the receiver diameter is too small for this caliber. ? it's my understanding that this action also came in 308, and 358 is just a necked up 308 . i didn't want to argue so i left it alone. any opinions would be appreciated. :thumbsup: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 10 Nov 2018, 4:31 pm

very nice work yumastepside :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Nov 2018, 5:17 pm

Looks great to me. Can’t beat DIY
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by yumastepside » 10 Nov 2018, 5:35 pm

Thanks Mark, I was going to modify it into a template stock, but as its the same year and model as the action, I thought I might try and salvage it.
Rich,
As far as I know they all use the same parent case, 308, the 243 runs at 60000 PSI, the 358 at 52000, the 358 Win. is discontinued....enter the 338 Federal, same case, will push a 180gr @ 2840 fps with a 1/2" less drop at 400m than a 30-06......downside...62000 PSI...
If you want the 358, you may have to handload, no biggie....the 338 does sound interesting......though with my luck, it's been discontinued as well :wtf:

Roger
yumastepside
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 10 Nov 2018, 7:30 pm

look into 358 roger, check nathan fosters "terminal ballistic research " website for info and a review. interesting reading and you can make your own brass easily. starline and a couple of other companies still make brass :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing