PTA wait time in QLD

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by No1_49er » 10 Oct 2018, 8:02 pm

At the risk of being pedantic, I'll attempt to interpret your circumstance.

1 - Your first PTA was approved on Sep 27. You only say approved; have you received it and used it i.e. had the firearm brokered to your possession?
2 - You applied for a subsequent PTA five days later. Email indicating approval but not yet issued, for the reason that WLB stated.

Until you have had the first firearm brokered to your possession, WLB has nothing in their system to indicate that you already "hold a firearm under a licence". Until that happens, the waiting period is 28days, as required by the regulation.
If WLB does have a record of your ownership then "However, the period is the remainder of the day on which the applicant lodged the application for the permit, if the applicant already holds a firearm under a licence".

Make yourself aware of the Act, Regulations, and Categories Regulations. Free to download as pdf's.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rapid » 10 Oct 2018, 10:40 pm

No1_49er wrote:At the risk of being pedantic, I'll attempt to interpret your circumstance.

1 - Your first PTA was approved on Sep 27. You only say approved; have you received it and used it i.e. had the firearm brokered to your possession?
2 - You applied for a subsequent PTA five days later. Email indicating approval but not yet issued, for the reason that WLB stated.

Until you have had the first firearm brokered to your possession, WLB has nothing in their system to indicate that you already "hold a firearm under a licence". Until that happens, the waiting period is 28days, as required by the regulation.
If WLB does have a record of your ownership then "However, the period is the remainder of the day on which the applicant lodged the application for the permit, if the applicant already holds a firearm under a licence".

Make yourself aware of the Act, Regulations, and Categories Regulations. Free to download as pdf's.

Thanks for the info.... The PTA has been faxed to the dealer. It wasn't that I've not read these things, it seems that I've misinterpreted the meaning of '...holds a firearm under licence...' with the word 'holds' not being clear to me as meaning pysical possession. And without knowing the reason behind this, It would seem illogical that if you're already approved why would physical possession be required to exonerate another 28 day wait? So if I now read this right, after I pick up first one on Friday, Ill give them a call and see if they can amend. If not then I'll just apply for another PTA and trash the other.
Rapid
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 11 Oct 2018, 10:25 am

Rapid wrote:
No1_49er wrote:At the risk of being pedantic, I'll attempt to interpret your circumstance.

Thanks for the info.... The PTA has been faxed to the dealer. It wasn't that I've not read these things, it seems that I've misinterpreted the meaning of '...holds a firearm under licence...' with the word 'holds' not being clear to me as meaning pysical possession. And without knowing the reason behind this, It would seem illogical that if you're already approved why would physical possession be required to exonerate another 28 day wait? So if I now read this right, after I pick up first one on Friday, Ill give them a call and see if they can amend. If not then I'll just apply for another PTA and trash the other.

G’day Rapid

You say your picking up your first one on Friday
Does that mean your license card turned up?
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 11 Oct 2018, 10:55 am

Rapid wrote: Thanks for the info.... The PTA has been faxed to the dealer. It wasn't that I've not read these things, it seems that I've misinterpreted the meaning of '...holds a firearm under licence...' with the word 'holds' not being clear to me as meaning pysical possession. And without knowing the reason behind this, It would seem illogical that if you're already approved why would physical possession be required to exonerate another 28 day wait? That's in accordance with the Act and Regulations. There's not much chance of changing what seems to be illogical. So if I now read this right, after I pick up first one on Friday, Ill give them a call and see if they can amend. Well, not quite. WLB will not be aware of you "holding under a licence" until the dealer has returned their paperwork to WLB and that info' has been processed into the system. If not then I'll just apply for another PTA and trash the other.

Sometimes, patience is a virtue.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rapid » 11 Oct 2018, 11:42 am

Patriot wrote:G’day Rapid

You say your picking up your first one on Friday
Does that mean your license card turned up?

Hi Patriot,
Sorry mate - I should have updated the other thread. Yes it arrived late yesterday, so I can understand your frustration - you've certainly had the patience.
Rapid
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Rapid » 12 Oct 2018, 1:53 pm

No1_49er wrote: Sometimes, patience is a virtue.

Yes true. However this was just frustration (my fault as it turns out), due to now having to make two 700km round trips to the dealer.
I spoke with WLB today and they are happy to remove the restriction as soon as the dealer submits the paper work later today.

Thanks for your input, I'm sure someone else new to the sport will find this exchange useful in the future.
Rapid
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Mike Echo » 20 Oct 2018, 2:49 pm

Cat BTA applied for 2am Friday, approved this morning!
Mike Echo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JSS » 22 Oct 2018, 4:06 pm

i put in 2 last week and both were approved by friday.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 15 Nov 2018, 7:47 am

You fellas getting 48 hour pta's are lucky...
My missus put one in last Friday still no response. ..so much for consistent service :unknown: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Slant225 » 19 Nov 2018, 11:52 pm

I put in for a PTA on Friday arvo 16/11 and had an email on Sunday 18/11. QLD WLB must be working OT!! Double time on Sunday makes the coin!!!
Slant225
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Jakethefake » 23 Nov 2018, 2:00 pm

Just applied for a PTA this morning for an air rifle. First time I've done it with the online system. Last time I did one I still had to go to the police station.
Do I still have to wait for a paper copy in the mail before I can go pick up my rifle? Or will they email me a copy? I selected the fax to dealer option, maybe I don't need a copy at all if the dealer has it?
Jakethefake
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 23 Nov 2018, 2:11 pm

Gday Jake
If ya selected fax to dealer then ya won't receive anything else it'll go straight to ya dealer. Don't get too excited about 48 hr pta turn around as we've been waiting two weeks and counting so as usual wlb aren't exactly being consistent!!
:crazy: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Jakethefake » 23 Nov 2018, 2:14 pm

Thanks Daddybang,
I should receive an email though to tell me its approved?
Jakethefake
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 23 Nov 2018, 2:17 pm

Yep then ya dealer should ring ya when they've received it :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by jaydos » 27 Nov 2018, 8:49 am

Applied 6pm Sunday night. Got an email saying it's approved at 8 this morning (Tuesday)
jaydos
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 27 Nov 2018, 9:51 am

And yet its just taken two weeks for my missus to get one!!!! Bunch of inconsistent arseholes!! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by jaydos » 27 Nov 2018, 2:15 pm

Daddybang wrote:And yet its just taken two weeks for my missus to get one!!!! Bunch of inconsistent arseholes!! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :drinks:

Give them a call mate, they're usually pretty helpful if you're polite to them on the phone
jaydos
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 27 Nov 2018, 2:31 pm

Thanks jaydos :thumbsup: :drinks:
It ended up being approved last Friday wich was the two week mark (not her first) and when I rang them Thursday they gave me the standard "they're done in order of receiving " bullsh@t.
It would piss me off less if there wasn't so many reporting 48hr turnarounds or at least some sort.of reason for the inconsistencies. !
:lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bronco93 » 09 Jan 2019, 9:45 am

Cat B pta submitted on 29th december. Recieved approval today. Think I submitted it at night which makes it saturday night and public holiday was on a monday. So really only just over week. Not too bad of a turn around.
Dozen 22lr .22WMR .22WRF .22hornet .223 .310 .303 .243 .30-30 20g 12g .410 32-20 .357 and a couple .58 muzzle loaders
bronco93
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Burntbear » 07 Nov 2019, 2:24 pm

Just for information - PTA submitted 23-02-2019, approval 25-03-2019 - First PTA
Burntbear
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Fonz_408 » 22 Nov 2019, 5:26 pm

Put one in on the 16th so no 2 day turnaround for me, not my first Cat B and I've had my licence 16yrs..
Fonz_408
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Patriot » 09 Dec 2019, 6:01 pm

Applied for first cat b Sunday arvo at 2pm, approval email at 3pm Monday, dealer called at 4pm, picked up new shottie just before closing. Pretty good service.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by swilso » 11 Jan 2020, 11:29 am

Applied for a Cat H PTA (3rd pistol) on the 31/12/19
Will post how long it takes when the email arrives.

Edit: PTA approval email today. 16/1/20
Perhaps another day or so until it gets emailed to the dealer.
Last edited by swilso on 16 Jan 2020, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swilso
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by 8x57 » 12 Jan 2020, 9:24 am

They’re a bit random in there, sometimes I’ve got them with 4 days other times it’s a couple weeks,
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by swilso » 19 Jan 2020, 11:36 am

Update:
Applied for a Cat H PTA (3rd pistol) on the 31/12/19

PTA approval email: 16/1/20
PTA arrived by email to dealer on 17/1/20
swilso
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by shauny88 » 24 Jan 2020, 3:55 pm

I applied for two CAT H PTA's just recently.

Both placed at Noon on the 7th January one for a rimfire, one for a second class B handgun (so should be no waiting period)

Received acceptance emails 3pm 23rd January and now waiting on post. 2 weeks 2 days to approve when I already have Cat H pistols. Guessing still a bit of a backlog after Christmas.
shauny88
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by albert » 28 Jan 2020, 7:16 pm

newbie here... just a question please:

Just got an email for my PTA approval today. Do I need to wait for the actual card from the mail for me to able to get the pistol or do I just request them to email to my dealer?

Thanks in advance.
albert
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 30 Jan 2020, 6:55 pm

The PTA email approval notice is just a courtesy and to stop you from contacting WLB about progress.
When you submitted the PTA you either selected for it to be delivered by post, in which case you have to wait for the letter to arrive in your mailbox, otherwise, if you selected 'email to dealer' then the dealer should get that a couple of days after your email notice.

You will need your license card for the category of firearm that you have been approved for, so if you're a new licensee then that takes a couple of weeks to arrive after your license approval email.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by apathetic » 06 Feb 2020, 4:46 pm

Weapons Licencing are all over it these days :D :D
I lodged my pta 9:30am Monday,
Gunshop got the email Thursday arvo
:drinks:

edit: and had rifle in hand friday!
Last edited by apathetic on 17 Feb 2020, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
apathetic
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 06 Feb 2020, 9:54 pm

apathetic wrote:Weapons Licencing are all over it these days :D :D
I lodged my pta 9:30am Monday,
Gunshop got the email Thursday arvo
:drinks:

I seem to be consistently waiting a minimum of two weeks for my PTA's to come through.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws