choke selection for sxs 12 gauge

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

choke selection for sxs 12 gauge

Post by bigrich » 10 Oct 2018, 6:34 pm

hey guys, i'm thinking about getting a sxs 12 gauge for rabbits , looked at a few old second hand ones with fixed chokes and wondering what the best combination is. 3/4 and 3/4, or 1/2 and full :unknown:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: choke selection for sxs 12 gauge

Post by Diamond Jim » 10 Oct 2018, 6:51 pm

That is the issue I have with my full/full gun. If I had screw in tubes I'd opt for IC/Mod (1/4 and 1/2 ?) or Mod/ImpMod (1/2 and 3/4 ?) for a walk around gun. I rarely have a need for 40-50m range for bunnies and the tight chokes puts more pellets in them at closer ranges than is ideal. It also means busting clays for fun is more challenging than it needs to be.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 10 Oct 2018, 8:06 pm

I've always thought the half and full were no worries as if you miss at the closer range the full is better as the animal gets further away
but I recon half and half are the go as you can shoot steel shot out of them, it doesn't cost a fortune to get a choke opened up to half choke :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Oct 2018, 11:25 am

With the" new" shotgun ammo now having the pellets loaded in plastic pouch things, the chokes of the old s/s guns have changed, like tightened up. I'd look for 1/2, 3/4 but I don't now about steel shot in the older type guns.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 11 Oct 2018, 6:18 pm

RoginaJack wrote:With the" new" shotgun ammo now having the pellets loaded in plastic pouch things, the chokes of the old s/s guns have changed, like tightened up. I'd look for 1/2, 3/4 but I don't now about steel shot in the older type guns.

very interesting information RJ , puts a new perspective on stuff i bin looking at :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Oct 2018, 9:11 pm

:thumbsup:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.