Finding a shooting mentor

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Finding a shooting mentor

Post by HereSkip » 07 Oct 2018, 5:50 pm

So I'm pretty new to the shooting scene with only just getting my first rifle (cz 527 22 hornet) and getting into self loading, anyway I'm really keen on shooting.
I've watched a tone of youtube vid's and looked all over forums to make sure i'm always improving or learning and it occured to me, why not just get a mentor?

TLDR;

Question is, Where can i find a shooting mentor? I'm in tassie and don't really know anyone that fits the question

I was thinking SSAA Range and just asking around or maybe hitting up one of the gun shops? Whats everyones thoughts?

my goals are
- to be able to shoot 1k + comfortably ( havn't really considered competitive shooting much but am open to the idea)
- improve rifle knowledge (maintenance and otherwise)
- all things ammo related

Thank you in advance for your help guys :thumbsup:
"To achieve greatness you first must dream it." - Me, just then
HereSkip
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Finding a shooting mentor

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 08 Oct 2018, 10:12 pm

I hear you mate i was much the same when i started off no mentor and didn't know a person that could help me out. I turned to youtube and listened to anyone that was willing to help me out at the range. Looking back it was a double edged sword some info was great and some was average at best.

Im sure that there would be some assistance that you could get through any of the ranges that you may attend.

The shooting community is a bunch of great guys and gals you will be able to find someone at a range to help you out.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 09 Oct 2018, 4:34 am

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:I hear you mate i was much the same when i started off no mentor and didn't know a person that could help me out. I turned to youtube and listened to anyone that was willing to help me out at the range. Looking back it was a double edged sword some info was great and some was average at best.

Im sure that there would be some assistance that you could get through any of the ranges that you may attend.

The shooting community is a bunch of great guys and gals you will be able to find someone at a range to help you out.

+1, what azza's said is about right. :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 09 Oct 2018, 8:01 am

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:I hear you mate i was much the same when i started off no mentor and didn't know a person that could help me out. I turned to youtube and listened to anyone that was willing to help me out at the range. Looking back it was a double edged sword some info was great and some was average at best.

+2
you can learn heaps from the internet or having a chat but learning can be as simple or technical as you want
make sure you listen to the guys who have small groups at long range
I have always seen the true precision guys are the ones who always look busy at the range :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Oct 2018, 11:35 am

I didn't know anybody that was a shooter when I started. In fact, I had neighbours bringing their city kids over to go out with me.
Most of the neighbours owned firearms but were too busy to bother when I was happy to spend all day, every day patrolling their paddocks for them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Urastus » 09 Oct 2018, 11:53 am

Where abouts in Tassie are you? I'm in Hobart, but I still shoot down south. I'm also a beginner, much like yourself - lots of research. My first rifle (not yet here) is .22. It will probably spend most of it's time at the range until I'm a proficient shot at various distances. I will also get hand gun, .22 to start with. If I'm still keen in a year or so, I might get a .308 for deer, and larger caliber hand gun for ipsc. There is one bloke at my club who shoots long distance else where (I don't think Tassie has a 1km range).
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Strikey » 09 Oct 2018, 4:14 pm

HereSkip wrote:So I'm pretty new to the shooting scene with only just getting my first rifle (cz 527 22 hornet) and getting into self loading, anyway I'm really keen on shooting.
I've watched a tone of youtube vid's and looked all over forums to make sure i'm always improving or learning and it occured to me, why not just get a mentor?

TLDR;

Question is, Where can i find a shooting mentor? I'm in tassie and don't really know anyone that fits the question

I was thinking SSAA Range and just asking around or maybe hitting up one of the gun shops? Whats everyones thoughts?

my goals are
- to be able to shoot 1k + comfortably ( havn't really considered competitive shooting much but am open to the idea)
- improve rifle knowledge (maintenance and otherwise)
- all things ammo related

Thank you in advance for your help guys :thumbsup:

Best advice I can give you as a new shooter would be to attend a local SSAA branch and get involved with their Field Rifle and Metallic Silhouette disciplines, these 2 disciplines will teach you more about your gun, its accuracy/trajectory and your capabilities as a shooter than anything you will find on YouTube. The people who shoot these events are generally experienced handloaders so can help you with that as well as giving you advice on rifle maintenance, be warned though as it can become addictive :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Urastus » 09 Oct 2018, 4:44 pm

bladeracer wrote:I didn't know anybody that was a shooter when I started. In fact, I had neighbours bringing their city kids over to go out with me.
Most of the neighbours owned firearms but were too busy to bother when I was happy to spend all day, every day patrolling their paddocks for them.

You're lucky Blade. Australia is getting smaller and more crowded; I know people here who have no where to shoot. Everyone would like a bunny now :) Myself, I think it is easier to go shooting deer where we are - and they are still a pest
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 09 Oct 2018, 5:00 pm

Urastus wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I didn't know anybody that was a shooter when I started. In fact, I had neighbours bringing their city kids over to go out with me.

You're lucky Blade. Australia is getting smaller and more crowded; I know people here who have no where to shoot. Everyone would like a bunny now :) Myself, I think it is easier to go shooting deer where we are - and they are still a pest

I was lucky back then - 35 years ago. I spent every day walking thousands of acres shooting pests, and making very good money from the fox pelts. I don't know that such a life is even possible anymore.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by HereSkip » 12 Oct 2018, 5:57 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Urastus wrote:

I was lucky back then - 35 years ago. I spent every day walking thousands of acres shooting pests, and making very good money from the fox pelts. I don't know that such a life is even possible anymore.

Hah! that sounds like the dream, I love being in the scrub, me the dog and the cruiser nothing like it :thumbsup:
HereSkip
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 15 Oct 2018, 6:51 am

Where in Tas are you?

If you are in the north of the state, our club holds a version of f-class designed for people to build skills with shooting hunter style rifles out further than your average wallaby shooter. It's a good intro to the sport of precision shooting at range.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by HereSkip » 15 Oct 2018, 7:00 am

Gwion wrote:Where in Tas are you?

If you are in the north of the state, our club holds a version of f-class designed for people to build skills with shooting hunter style rifles out further than your average wallaby shooter. It's a good intro to the sport of precision shooting at range.

I'm down in hobart but i'd be more then happy to come up for a weekend, have you got a website or planner i can look at and plan around?
HereSkip
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Oct 2018, 7:57 am

Gwion is a grouse bloke. He will help you if he has time. I'm sure it will be worth the trip to meet him.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 15 Oct 2018, 5:22 pm

enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9519

More info on the club.
Our season fixture will be finalised soon.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges