Opinions on CZ 455

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Opinions on CZ 455

Post by Rod_outbak » 15 Oct 2018, 10:20 am

I'm going to add to the lineup, and buy a rimfire repeater.
I'll go a hunter style of barrel, rather than varmint.

Considering a CZ 455 Stainless Synthetic in .17HMR, and then getting the additional Switch barrel for .22LR.

Anyone have a 455? I'd be interested to hear what you think of them.

I've considered a synthetic-stock Sako Quad system, but the lack of Stainless option, and the excessive price, has put me off.
I'd love to own a Sako, but I cant really justify the price difference for what I'm going to be using it for.
Might be different if I was expecting to punch paper targets in competition or suchlike.

I've also considered the Ruger Precision Rimfire, but while I love my RPR .308, I'd really only go the Ruger Rimfire if it was in .17HMR.

NOTE: NOT seeking advice on whether I choose rimfire versus small centrefire; Just chasing peoples experiences with this model, and if they've had good/bad.

Any info on the CZ 455 greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Opinions on CZ 455

Post by bladeracer » 15 Oct 2018, 1:09 pm

Good place to start - https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Rod_outbak wrote:I'm going to add to the lineup, and buy a rimfire repeater.

Considering a CZ 455 Stainless Synthetic in .17HMR, and then getting the additional Switch barrel for .22LR.

I've considered a synthetic-stock Sako Quad system, but the lack of Stainless option, and the excessive price, has put me off.
I'd love to own a Sako, but I cant really justify the price difference for what I'm going to be using it for.
Might be different if I was expecting to punch paper targets in competition or suchlike.

I've also considered the Ruger Precision Rimfire, but while I love my RPR .308, I'd really only go the Ruger Rimfire if it was in .17HMR.

NOTE: NOT seeking advice on whether I choose rimfire versus small centrefire; Just chasing peoples experiences with this model, and if they've had good/bad.

Cheers,

Rod.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 15 Oct 2018, 3:47 pm

My 455 has been a "project rifle". I fix everything that is possible to fix. Floated barrel, bedded barrel just in front of the action, made new ejectors, lapped rings, made new bottom metal, bedded new bottom metal and bedded tang. Also did a bit of trigger work.
All this to make it shoot better; not that there was anything wrong. In fact, with Bushman it was amazing really but I could see things that were not 100% and improved them. Whether or not it is more accurate, I don't know. Have not had time to try out the fixes. Mine has a synthetic stock and a 16.5 inch barrel. The short barrel should be stiff. Oh yes, I made a new butt-plate and put a piece of that stuff used on steps, on the heel. Reckoned that without it, the butt-plate looked a bit slippery. I like it a lot and as mentioned in previous posts, it has been given a name :)

But these are a rifle that you don't have to tinker with to make them go, "Bang" :) However, be aware that the bores are "tight". The standard ejector will foul the cleaning rod, forcing it against the rifling, hence the new ejectors. That reminds me. Had to remove and replace the bolt guide with an aluminium "nut", skillfully formed by my own fair hand to conform to the inside diameter of the action-body.
But you don't need to do any of this. If I didn't like tinkering I would have bought an Anschutz (for 3X the price).
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 15 Oct 2018, 4:55 pm

Wm Traynor,

Many thanks. Your experiences match up with what I have read on the 455.
I had read about the need for a .20 or .17 cal cleaning rod, and had read about some people wanting to improve the trigger.
However, the general consensus I've read is that they are a great rifle for the money.

I dont mind a bit of tinkering to tweak a rifle, but if it shoots half-decent out of the box, then thats fine with me.

Thanks again,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chappo » 15 Oct 2018, 5:00 pm

As for a .17 have you looked at the T bolt?
Light and fast and i like the extra mag in the butt of the synthetic.
As for a small centrefire i recently rediscovered the .22 hornet. Great little "in between" calibre and bettet than the .17 hornet in my opinion but depends what you wanna do.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 15 Oct 2018, 5:33 pm

Chappo,

No; havent looked at the T Bolt. It isnt quite as good a 'Fit' for what I wanted.
I was interested specifically in the CZ 455 for it's ability to switch barrels, AND for being a rimfire.
I was keen to find anyone who has the 455, and could tell me how they found it.

Thanks anyway.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by albat » 15 Oct 2018, 7:22 pm

both my son and i own the 455 with all three barrels we generally use them in .22lr as the other ammo is pricey and not as versatile as cheap .223 both rifles shoot good though they are a good value option if you dont run a centrefire and need a bit more grunt
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 15 Oct 2018, 9:07 pm

I've got 2 mates with the 455. One mate has just the 22lr barrel, he bloody loves it, and it groups great with no modifications. The other 455 I haven't seen as much but he has all 3 barrels, i think he mainly uses 22lr and 22mag, he also swears by his.
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 15 Oct 2018, 10:03 pm

Thanks all; looks like I might take a punt on the 455.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 16 Oct 2018, 8:29 am

I have 3 22s. A CZ 452, CZ455 and a ruger rimfire precision. The only reason I'd pick the cz452 over the cz455 is the fact that the cz452 is first gun I bought back in 1999. There isn't really much between the two CZ's but I like been able to swap barrels. Out of the box the trigger was better on the Cz455 and the barrel was free floated. It wasn't on the cz452.

I also quite like the Ruger rimfire precision. But if I had to pick only one the cz455 would be the obivious choice. I have the three barrels. I'm Really happy with the 22LR and 17hmr barrel. The 22 mag barrel not so much.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 16 Oct 2018, 10:19 am

Thanks, Cooper.

This again confirms that I think my next rifle will be a CZ 455, with the .22LR and the .17HMR barrels.

I think so far, I've had 8 people who have CZ455's tell me their experiences, and none of them have expressed regret at buying the rifle.
Indeed everyone has said they are very happy with the rifle.
Good enough for me...

I wonder how many people buy the .22WMR barrel, and are happy with it?? Given the .17HMR barrel is available for about the same money, I've no idea why someone would buy the .22WMR. It's not like you're going to be reloading them or anything...

Thanks again; this is the sort of info I was chasing.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by pete1 » 16 Oct 2018, 10:50 am

Rod_outbak wrote:I'm going to add to the lineup, and buy a rimfire repeater.

Cheers,

Rod.

CZ you always get good quality, i doubt you would be disappointed. personally not a fan of 17hmr prefer 22WMR but it will defiantly last for more then one generation.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 16 Oct 2018, 8:04 pm

Ahh the million dollar question 17hmr or 22wmr or 223. I think the 22wmr is better than 17hmr... but the ammo is kinda pricey compared to reloaded 223 (don't have a 223 yet, once I get it I'll see how it goes and maybe sell the 22wmr.

I have a cz452 in 22lr.... for a cheapish gun... it's bloody awesome
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 16 Oct 2018, 9:11 pm

Surely the Million Dollar Answer is all three??

My overseer uses a .223 every day, and its a great calibre. Not planning on getting rid of it ever.

I wanted a rimfire for the odd bunny session around the homestead, and to be able to swap it out to the .22LR for a bit of plinking/ firearm training with visitors, etc.
I'm not as concerned about cost of ammunition, as it's all tax-deductable for me.

I'm going to start out with the .17HMR, buy a .22LR barrel when a stainless one becomes available, and if I feel the urge in the future, blow the extra $300 to also get a .22WMR barrel. It would be really interesting to do a side-by-side comparison of the .17HMR and the .22WMR.
I've never really understood why there are so few .22WMR semi-auto handguns. I would have thought they would be a bitey little number, and fitted in neatly between the .22LR and the .38 Special for performance.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Biggus63 » 20 Oct 2018, 9:06 am

I have a 455 Varmint in .17 HMR and it's a fine rifle. I haven't had to do anything to it as it works fine right out of the box. As for accuracy, well if I miss something it's my fault and not the gun's. I think for the price it's the best bang for the buck out there, well made, accurate and extremely attractive with a walnut stock.

I have mixed feelings about .17 HMR as a calibre given the rather light bullet but it handles the wind a whole lot better than the .22 WMR and that's a real issue where I live. I considered the .17 WSM but none of the available rifles for it are desirable to me, which is a shame since I really like the published ballistics for it.

For the price I don't think you can do better than a 455. The Czechs really know their stuff.
Biggus63
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Rod_outbak » 20 Oct 2018, 11:52 am

Biggus,

Many thanks for your thoughts; I placed an order yesterday for a CZ455 Stainless Synthetic Hunter in .17HMR.
When they (Winchester Australia) get stock in the stainless barrels, I'll get a .22LR barrel to suit.

What did you use for scope mounts? I'll put a rail on mine, but wondered what others had done.

I havent found one person who responded (on and off this forum) who had any strongly negative things to say.
A couple of people are tweaking their 455's to enhance them, but no-one regretted buying this make/model, and all said the rifle performed well; straight out of the box.

Thanks again,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 20 Oct 2018, 2:27 pm

Vertically split Warne rings might be difficult to lap if you decide to go that way. Otherwise, no idea about brands. Mine are steel, no-name from England but they lapped well.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Biggus63 » 20 Oct 2018, 3:06 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Biggus,

Many thanks for your thoughts; I placed an order yesterday for a CZ455 Stainless Synthetic Hunter in .17HMR.
When they (Winchester Australia) get stock in the stainless barrels, I'll get a .22LR barrel to suit.

What did you use for scope mounts? I'll put a rail on mine, but wondered what others had done.

I havent found one person who responded (on and off this forum) who had any strongly negative things to say.
A couple of people are tweaking their 455's to enhance them, but no-one regretted buying this make/model, and all said the rifle performed well; straight out of the box.

Thanks again,

Rod.

I used Leupold Rimfire 11mm Mediums, part number 54231, however the scope is a Leupold 3-9x33 and it fits really nice and tight over the barrel with maybe only 3mm clearance. Since most .17 HMR owners seem to want at least a 40mm objective I reckon one might not clear the barrel with these mounts. Having the scope so low over the barrel has it's advantages, with a 100m zero it's basically point and shoot out to about 130 meters and you'll always be within about an inch of point of aim. Congrats anyway mate on your choice, I reckon they're tremendous firearms and I don't think you'll regret it one bit. One caution, they have a really high bolt lift so when you go looking for mounts take the scope and rifle with you. Cheers and enjoy!

Edit:- I actually have a DIP 11mm dovetail to picatinny rail and a Yukon SW-30 cantilever mount for my Yukon night scope as well for when I feel like going for a wander after foxes in sneaky mode. It's a quick change over and two or three shots to get it sighted in. The rail is part number 19008 and I got it via post from Delta Tactical for $85 plus postage just in case you haven't sourced a rail yet.
Biggus63
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Rod_outbak » 21 Oct 2018, 9:51 am

Biggus,

I see they list 2 different sizes for the Dovetails; 3/8" or 11mm. Are all the Australian-sourced 455's likely to be 11mm, or is it a mixed bag??

I looked at the Delta Tactical rails, and until I know which rail fits, I think I'll have to wait.

Still considering what size objective I'll have on the scope I'll fit to the CZ, which is going to dictate my ring height.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Biggus63 » 21 Oct 2018, 5:03 pm

I see they list 2 different sizes for the Dovetails; 3/8" or 11mm. Are all the Australian-sourced 455's likely to be 11mm, or is it a mixed bag??

I looked at the Delta Tactical rails, and until I know which rail fits, I think I'll have to wait.

Still considering what size objective I'll have on the scope I'll fit to the CZ, which is going to dictate my ring height.

Cheers,

Rod.

Should be an 11mm dovetail, mine is, I think in the US it's a 3/8. All CZs that come here are 11mm as far as I know. That 11mm/picatinny rail is pretty tall so unless you put a monster scope on the rifle you'll probably get away with fairly short rings.
Biggus63
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 30 Oct 2018, 3:21 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Thanks, Cooper.

This again confirms that I think my next rifle will be a CZ 455, with the .22LR and the .17HMR barrels.

I think so far, I've had 8 people who have CZ455's tell me their experiences, and none of them have expressed regret at buying the rifle.
Indeed everyone has said they are very happy with the rifle.
Good enough for me...

I wonder how many people buy the .22WMR barrel, and are happy with it?? Given the .17HMR barrel is available for about the same money, I've no idea why someone would buy the .22WMR. It's not like you're going to be reloading them or anything...

Thanks again; this is the sort of info I was chasing.

Cheers,

Rod.

Hi Rod - I have a couple (or so) I do not regret buying any of the 455s

I have one that has only the 22WMR barrel, and it groups acceptably - about 2" at 100 yards. I'm happy with it, because I wasn't expecting anything better, since nobody I know makes .22WMR target ammo, so it met my expectations.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 30 Oct 2018, 3:29 pm

Biggus63 wrote:

Cheers,

Rod.

Should be an 11mm dovetail, mine is, I think in the US it's a 3/8. All CZs that come here are 11mm as far as I know. That 11mm/picatinny rail is pretty tall so unless you put a monster scope on the rifle you'll probably get away with fairly short rings.

Do a search on "CZ US FAQS" and it should take you here http://cz-usa.com/support/faq/

There you can page down to

Q: “What rings do I need for my rimfire rifle?”

A: All 455s have 11mm dovetails. Beyond that, the dovetails might be 11mm or 3/8″ depending on whether the platform was developed for the US market or the European market. The foolproof way to tell is to take a measurement. 3/8″ dovetails will measure 0.5″/12.7mm at the top/widest part of the dovetail. 11mm dovetails will measure 0.433″/11mm at the top/widest part.

Some 452 models were 11mm and some were 3/8" which is confusing, all 455s are the same according to them and to my experience.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by eddahenry » 30 Oct 2018, 6:14 pm

Have a 455 tacticool ,, added pillars , bedded it , trigger kit from lowey products in SA
pretty much speaks for its self at 50m
Federal hunter match 5 shot group
fedarel hunter match.jpg
fedarel hunter match.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 7313 times
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Oct 2018, 7:06 pm

eddahenry
Filth :D :drinks:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Cal-ApeR » 16 Nov 2018, 8:30 pm

Very tidy!
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Nov 2018, 2:28 am

I’m another happy 455 owner - zero modifications other than a lightened trigger. Mine is a confidence inspiring rifle shooting subsonic .22 lapua mAg rounds to insane group sizes at 50 and 100m. Ditto the same with high velocity and less drop. Mine also came with threaded muzzle - not sure if this is standard but might be beneficial.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by snag » 20 Nov 2018, 11:12 pm

I have a 455 varmint barrel , thumbhole stock, in .22lr with a Leupold VX1 2-7 x 28 in Leupold rings. I let my mates shoot it at the range so that they can experience cutting ragged holes at 50 yards. Best damn gun I ever owned.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blutius Maximus » 24 Nov 2018, 12:35 pm

I placed an order yesterday for a CZ455 Stainless Synthetic Hunter in .17HMR.

What sort of dollars for the rifle and the next barrel you want?

I saw one place selling the 455 combo (all 3 barrels) not long ago. From memory it was around $940 or thereabouts and the 455 was 7 something for rifle in one caliber only.
Blutius Maximus
Private
Private

-

Post by Rod_outbak » 24 Nov 2018, 1:25 pm

I paid ~$850 for the rifle in .17HMR (Stainless Synthetic); sitting in my LGS in Outback QLD.

Still waiting for Winchester Australia to send the .22LR barrel, but I am enjoying pokking stuff with the .17 in the mean-time...
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blutius Maximus » 24 Nov 2018, 1:36 pm

Yeah price I saw was for blued.

Excellent. Reward the person who helps you.
Nothing worse than when someone picks the brains of the small business owner for help and advice, and then buys from a large company to save peanuts.
Blutius Maximus
Private
Private

-

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles