Training

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Training

Post by Zappa » 17 Oct 2018, 1:00 pm

Started my cat H - 6 month training period and finding it awesome. Cant get to my weekly shoot quick enough.

However i need to work on the basic mechanics. Grip, sighting , stance , posture , racking , trigger pull, holstering etc...

I'm thinking of getting a toy pistol 1:1 , glock or 1911 clone and practising. But maybe too light for my application.

How did you guys train whilst a probie ?
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Training

Post by bladeracer » 17 Oct 2018, 1:22 pm

Zappa wrote:Started my cat H - 6 month training period and finding it awesome. Cant get to my weekly shoot quick enough.

However i need to work on the basic mechanics. Grip, sighting , stance , posture , racking , trigger pull, holstering etc...

I'm thinking of getting a toy pistol 1:1 , glock or 1911 clone and practising. But maybe too light for my application.

How did you guys train whilst a probie ?

Platatac do "Blue Guns" for training. They're legal down here but you'd have to check ACT.
http://www.police.vic.gov.au/retrievemedia.asp?media_id=95807
https://www.platatac.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=blueguns

As for how I trained, I went up to the club at every opportunity on my own and put lots of ammo down range. Club membership included keys and we had free access to the ranges every day except Wednesdays.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 17 Oct 2018, 1:28 pm

If you can get to Syria asap you can train all you want , Andrei says he'll give you some tips.
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 17 Oct 2018, 2:00 pm

bladeracer wrote:As for how I trained, I went up to the club at every opportunity on my own and put lots of ammo down range. Club membership included keys and we had free access to the ranges every day except Wednesdays.

Yeah. that's at least 6 months away from me when i get my cat H lic and hand gun.

'll look into the blue gun. although no trigger or racking training it still may be ok for grip, sighting etc..

southwest shooter wrote:If you can get to Syria asap you can train all you want

No wonder the three middle eastern guys we have at the club are good marksmen. They start shooting from their birth cradle. :unknown:
Also the two Phillipinos ( husband + wife) we have are also pretty sharp.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 17 Oct 2018, 2:43 pm

I found a little air-pistol a huge benefit for learning trigger control, sighting etc.

I think I had one of the Gamo break-open AP's; it was pretty basic, but good to learn the actual shooting side of it.

I'd recommend an air pistol for where you are now, though time on the range (perferrably with solid tuition) is going to be your best benefit.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 17 Oct 2018, 2:54 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:I found a little air-pistol a huge benefit for learning trigger control, sighting etc.

I think I had one of the Gamo break-open AP's; it was pretty basic, but good to learn the actual shooting side of it.

I'd recommend an air pistol for where you are now, though time on the range (perferrably with solid tuition) is going to be your best benefit.

I don't see any advantage to an air pistol. If you have to go to the range to be able to use it anyway, just practice with your competition guns.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 17 Oct 2018, 3:21 pm

Love the suggestions folks but need a cat H to own this stuff.

Might go the toy pistol route and cable tie a pointing laser to it .
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Oct 2018, 3:39 pm

Zappa wrote:Love the suggestions folks but need a cat H to own this stuff.

Might go the toy pistol route and cable tie a pointing laser to it .

You could try submitting a PtA for a Denix replica for training use.
http://www.jasperco.com.au/modrep.htm

They're not as realistic as replicas used to be, but they give you rudimentary trigger action, slide, and mag change practice. (except I don't know if you can buy spare mags for them - the OEM mags are nothing like real ones).

Except that you probably need CatH in ACT even for the dummy guns.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers