Cowboy Action 45 Colt Pistols

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Cowboy Action 45 Colt Pistols

Post by wooosaah » 24 Oct 2018, 10:16 am

I am looking to buy a set of pistols to shoot cowboy action in 45 Colt. Considering these 2:

Ruger New Vaquero Blued
Ruger Blackhawk 45LC/45ACP Convertible

After any input on these (or others?). Vaquero is $100 more than the Blackhawk. Blackhawk can change cylinder to shoot 45ACP (don't know how often I would do that) and has an adjustable rear sight.

Thanks
wooosaah
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Cowboy Action 45 Colt Pistols

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 24 Oct 2018, 10:50 am

I have blackhawkes in 357, and I've used vaqueros and other colt clones alot at cowboy action. For cowboy action i find the vaquero much faster to line the sights up and I think they look cooler at the cowboy action meets.
Recently I actually used one blackhawk and one vaquero for a round and for me I found the difference in speed quite noticeable.

Until last year I had mine on my primary production license and when the QLD gov started taking them from us farmers, i joined the pistol club to keep mine. Since then I've gotten addicted to cowboy action so in time i plan to change from blackhawks to a colt clone.
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JSS » 24 Oct 2018, 4:10 pm

I got a matched pair of New Vaquero SASS in 357 magnum, and now a mate has one of them, i don't cowboy action so don't really need 2. But i reckon every man needs a cowboy gun (It brings out you inner child and inner Clint at the same time) :D
If you're going to get a pair for cowboy action i'd suggest looking at the SASS ones they have a much nicer hammer spur (lower and wider) which is so much easier for single handed shooting.
I was a bit sus on the rear sight (or lack thereof) at first but after using it have found it's quick & easy to get on target.

Edit: Also the Ruger Bisley might be worth a look too, they have a slightly different grip & felt pretty good in hand, but i haven't shot one.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by 1886 » 25 Oct 2018, 8:51 pm

How good is your eyesight :D

I have a pair of both in 357 but they are not standard being handbuilt in the US by a master gunsmith not a Cowboy shooter who thinks he's a gunsmith. All have been short stroked and the transfer bar removed and with custom made grips. The Vaqueros are also fitted with wider Blackhawk hammers which are much better for Cowboy action.

I find the Blackhawk sights are a tad better for eyesight issues but I still switch between using both. The new Blackhawks are also a tad lighter than the Vaquero meaning even with Cowboy loads it will jump off sight more than the Vaquero will.

The Blackhawks rear adjustable sight does make it a lot easier to get it bang on target with Cowboy loads. They also require a looser holster fit compared to a Vaqueros holster.

Tradition would say the Vaquero but really it depends on what feels better for you as both will do the job.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by wooosaah » 26 Oct 2018, 8:46 am

1886 wrote:. They also require a looser holster fit compared to a Vaqueros holster.

Yeah I have found out that the blackhawks are a larger frame so might not fit my current holster.

I keep going back and forth but might end up going with vaquero
wooosaah
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 18 Dec 2018, 9:57 pm

I've got a brace of Ruger SS Bisley Vaqueros in 45 Colt from my CASS days, great guns, I really like the Bisley grip frame. I also have the 45/45acp Ruger Blackhawk, another winner. Here the the question you need to answer. Are you going to be satisfied with fixed sights that may not hit where you're looking?
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by johnboy357 » 23 Aug 2020, 6:06 pm

The Bisley Grip frame is the only way to go - 357 with light loads much easier on shooter and gun than the 45LC. = better scores. Don't worry about fixed sights - the targets are generally big enough and close enough to hit without sights.

1886 - best not bring your guns to NSW or QLD without the transfer bars fitted - not allowed to be used with a factory safety device removed - the old insurance thingy
johnboy357
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers