Australian American Gun Parts Importer?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Australian American Gun Parts Importer?

Post by Boo » 28 Oct 2018, 8:35 am

Have used Brownells Australia in the past but now they are not talking to me for some unknown reason, is there anyone else? Anyone import their own? Any info on this would be great, Majestic Arms is one US supplier that has a Ruger accurising kit that's needed. Hopefully this topic will be of interest to others so we can get something useful going.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Australian American Gun Parts Importer?

Post by wrenchman » 28 Oct 2018, 9:00 am

have you looked at midway i get a lot of stuff from them here in the states
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gaznazdiak » 28 Oct 2018, 9:51 am

Commiserations Boo, Brownell's Aust is the mob formally know as The Shooters Warehouse, one of the most arrogant crowds I've dealt with, with a poky little back street shop in the ACT who treat you like a trespasser when you go in and bother them by wanting to buy something.

I rang the other day looking for prices on projectiles, they couldn't be bothered looking up the prices, just told me to look on their website, then gave me the bum's rush.

I won't be wasting any more of their time trying to give them my money.

So don't feel put upon, they treat everyone like sh!t.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 28 Oct 2018, 10:08 am

Maybe a long shot, but Ignition Custom Engineering(SA) might be worth asking? I know they import a range of gear from the states (barrels etc), as well as fabricate their own solutions. I have contacted them about 6 months back, and they were very helpful.

I've ordered odds & ends from their website a few times, and they've always been prompt and helpful.
https://shop.iceng.com.au/

Might be worth inquiring?

Another thought is maybe Midway Australia? Really dont know much about them, but have bought items from them twice, and they didnt stuff the order around at all.
http://www.midway-australia.com.au/

My first choice would be try contacting ICE.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 28 Oct 2018, 11:20 am

DO NOT USE MIDWAY AUSTRALIA

CHronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 28 Oct 2018, 11:34 am

Chronos wrote:DO NOT USE MIDWAY AUSTRALIA

CHronos

I believe that Midway Australia have no association or arrangement with Midway USA. They seem to be happy to use the name though.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 28 Oct 2018, 11:47 am

wrenchman wrote:have you looked at midway i get a lot of stuff from them here in the states

wrenchman, ITAR screws us here. Below is the message I received from MidwayUSA when attempting to purchase from them.

"[ Thank you for the recent email regarding your interest in our products. Unfortunately, we are unable to ship to your location. Due to the variety of regulations controlling shipments outside the U.S., MidwayUSA is unable to process international orders and we cannot ship to any freight forwarding addresses. If you attempt to place an order shipping to an international or freight forwarding address it will be cancelled. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for Your Business! ]"

I'm not too sure about the sincerity of the closure "Thanks for Your Business" though.

I has been said that there are moves afoot to change the jurisdiction of ITAR to EAR for what might commonly called "sporting firearms".
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 28 Oct 2018, 1:07 pm

Are projectiles or dies covered in ITAR. Could someone tell me. Wonder if I can get a friend to post me stuff.

Actually in that case, any import paperwork required in australia
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Oct 2018, 1:29 pm

G'day Ziad,
Our paperwork for projies is simply a B709, and dies are unrestricted for both us and the US. Just have to find someone willing to ship which most US businesses won't due to the complexity of ITARs which does impose some restrictions. Best to use an approved FFL in the States, some of whom advertise in gun magazines, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 28 Oct 2018, 1:49 pm

For anybody who is REALLY KEEN about the restrictions, or otherwise, that ITAR imposes, they can be found here.
Take your time; it's a big "document", but them's the rules, for the moment.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/22/part-123
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 28 Oct 2018, 2:41 pm

I know it bans IR scopes as well, the makers will ship to Australian dealers but won't to individuals. :huh:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 28 Oct 2018, 5:16 pm

No1_49er wrote:
Chronos wrote:DO NOT USE MIDWAY AUSTRALIA

CHronos

I believe that Midway Australia have no association or arrangement with Midway USA. They seem to be happy to use the name though.

I have talked to several people who have ordered through that site and never received goods.

There is however a seller on Ebay called "midway Australia" who has a great reputation and has no link with that site

Steve
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 28 Oct 2018, 6:03 pm

Hmm I thought it was the same. Not that I have ordered from the website. Have ordered from ebay a couple of times and they are pretty good
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 28 Oct 2018, 6:21 pm

Not knowing the info above, I have ordered a few items from Midway Australia; a couple of times.

Both times, the items were dispatched quickly, and I had no problems at all.

However, reading the above, I'll hold off any further purchases through them.
The news about Brownells Australia is a revelation to me as well.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 28 Oct 2018, 9:08 pm

I used to get stuff from the USA via Brownells I found they had terrific service and very polite, priced to what you would expect to pay
Now they tell me I have to go through Brownells Australia who I have tried to deal with 2 times I have not got what I have been looking for and given up and went else where because they were either to busy I got the impression I was interrupting something and the second time they just hung up while I was asking if the had lee quick trim dies in stock.
Funny you should say but i went to MidwayAustralia on ebay got both things with in the week no problems at all
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by perentie » 29 Oct 2018, 7:28 am

I have bought stuff from both Brownells Australia and Midway with no problems. Brownells keep you up to date with the order, when its sent from the USA, when it arrives in the Aus warehouse, when its inspected by Border Force, and when its shipped to you.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Boo » 29 Oct 2018, 8:15 am

Thanks a lot blokes for all the contributions, it's all very helpful. After wearing out the internet I've found what's needed through local sources, Shooters Delight, Gold Coast Shooters Supplies, one item from each. Brownells Australia used to be good but now I won't bother with them any more, they are missing out on a decent sized order so it sucks to be them.

Have given up trying to focus using iron sights and spoiling a day at the range so I'm looking for a decent starter red dot, anyone know of the Hawke brand?-
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 29 Oct 2018, 8:24 am

I haven't tried their red dot, although I've been toying with the idea, but I do have their 10-50×60 Sidewinder scope, and apart from 1 transient sticky turret issue I'm very happy.

If you do get their red dot, please let us know hoe you go with it.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Boo » 29 Oct 2018, 12:29 pm

For a red dot sight I've found both UK and German ebay sellers apparently OK with exporting to here but I'm wondering if it's OK this end. They are way cheaper than our sellers, way cheaper.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 29 Oct 2018, 1:35 pm

Boo wrote:For a red dot sight I've found both UK and German ebay sellers apparently OK with exporting to here but I'm wondering if it's OK this end. They are way cheaper than our sellers, way cheaper.

I got my scope from a guy in the UK and saved over $400 off the Aussie price.

https://www.tacticalscope.co.uk/
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by axio » 29 Oct 2018, 6:24 pm

Boo wrote:Have given up trying to focus using iron sights and spoiling a day at the range so I'm looking for a decent starter red dot, anyone know of the Hawke brand?-

I use a Bushnell TRS25 on the scrub gun and highly rate it. You can set the dot really bright so easy to see during the day when walking around, but then turn it down for target shooting.

Edit: just realised this is in the pistol forum so probably not as suitable
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers