Sealing an unfinished stock

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Sealing an unfinished stock

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Oct 2018, 4:36 pm

Looking for a recommended treatment or product to seal a semi finished walnut stock.

I have the stock now, but what I am lacking is the time needed to finish it.
So, in the meantime I need to seal it.

? Tru Oil, or something different.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Sealing an unfinished stock

Post by Gaznazdiak » 30 Oct 2018, 5:03 pm

I would give it a good wetting with Danish oil, let it sit until it gets tacky, then wipe it down with a lint free cloth dampened with Danish oil, then another with a dry cloth :drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 30 Oct 2018, 6:03 pm

If you want nice and shiny....Truoil, for the best finish sand to a fine finish, like 1200, then wet sand with some BLO, Danish oil , any decent quality wood oil. Will seal the pores and give a nice smooth shiny finish. Let the oil dry and rub down with a cloth. Apply Truoil one coat at a time, sparingly with a cloth. Light rub down with fine sand paper and wipe down between coats. Three coats is enough , 5-7 is better. Some say the best finish is obtained with the last 2 coats applied with the aerosol Truoil.

Or wet sand with oil, rub down, then oil with your preferred wood oil. They all work, they all do essentially the same thing.

Apply multiple coats one at a time and rub down between coats. Up to you how many coats. Can top off with various waxes, again all the reputable ones work. Buff to your desired level. More time and work yields best finish on a sliding scale from awesome to sh1t house
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 30 Oct 2018, 7:02 pm

I finished a stock myself, thought I was very brave. Used 0000 steel wool after very fine paper. I kept on adding coats until I got sick of doing it. probably 6 or 7 coats. The stock maker suggested Wipe on Poly. It gives a nice finish, but probably not as durable as the Danish or Tru.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Oct 2018, 7:13 pm

Got a tip from www.marlinowners.com/forum once upon a time
1/3 satin poly 1/3 boiled linseed 1/3 turps
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 30 Oct 2018, 7:17 pm

I've just done a stock with Bitchwood Casey True oil and stock wax. I'm really happy how it turned out. I sanded with about 5 different grades of sand paper and final with steel wool. About 6 coats of True oil sanding out blemishes with the steel wool between coats. Took a week, one good afternoon sanding then let each coat dry for 24 hours.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Oct 2018, 7:32 pm

Thanks fellas, but I think most of you missed the point.

The stock is only semi finished and still has sharp ridges around all the contours as well as blade and tool marks.

I only want to seal it and prevent any possible cracks etc until I can get around to doing the rest of the shaping, contouring and 1st sanding.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 30 Oct 2018, 8:12 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Thanks fellas, but I think most of you missed the point.

The stock is only semi finished and still has sharp ridges around all the contours as well as blade and tool marks.

I only want to seal it and prevent any possible cracks etc until I can get around to doing the rest of the shaping, contouring and 1st sanding.

Yes mate, a wipe over then wipe off with Danish will seal it and harden it slightly.

You can do it over and over.
I used it on a walking staff I carved as a snake.

As I carved it by hand with small hand chisels, I could only do a bit at a time then sealed it. I worked on it for over 2 yrs, sealing, carving, sealing, carving.
Then, when I'd finally finished I brushed the Danish on one last time and let it set as a finish.

I made the tip of the tail from a bolt.
Attachments
Head.jpg
Head.jpg (478.03 KiB) Viewed 4965 times
Tail.jpg
Tail.jpg (333.91 KiB) Viewed 4965 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Oct 2018, 8:34 pm

Beautiful job Mick, well done mate. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Thom318 » 30 Oct 2018, 8:45 pm

If it's just a temporary sealing job, I'd just use a spray on clear coat meant for craft, then sand it off when you get time to finish it off how you really want to
Thom318
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Oct 2018, 8:48 pm

Very well done, I wish I had a bit of talent to make something like that.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 31 Oct 2018, 12:02 am

Thank you chaps, I'm pretty happy with it.
To put the tip on so it wasn't likely to fall off, I drilled out the hole so it was bigger inside than at the entrance and poured some molten lead in first, then with the tip heated by butane torch I pushed it into place. The excess was pushed out and when it cooled it was nice and solid.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 31 Oct 2018, 6:44 am

Simplest answer is don't worry about it.
I have unfinished semi inletted stock blanks that have been lying around for 20+ years with no problems with dry checking or cracks or shrinkage except for one where termites made a start up through the butt.
Provided the stock was well seasoned prior to any shaping then there will be no problems.
If you are concerned then enclose in a heavy polythene bag. At least that will keep dust and bugs out.
If your stock was shaped and inletted before the stock was stabilised with adequate drying then nothing will help.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 31 Oct 2018, 6:51 pm

glad wrap can be used :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Oct 2018, 7:25 pm

marksman wrote:glad wrap can be used :thumbsup:

The poor mans condom,,,,,,,,,,,, Glad Wrap and rubber bands.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Oct 2018, 7:28 pm

Ahhhhh yes,, Thanks one and all for the input
I suspected these would be the answers,, but just wanted other opinions b4 I went ahead

Cheers
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Oct 2018, 7:30 pm

Gaz Mate, you are talented and have lots of patience.

Could I be so ignorant as to ask what species timber ?
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 31 Oct 2018, 8:39 pm

Thanks DJ.

It's yellow box. I wanted a particular snake effect so I hunted down a green branch that would give me the general shape, when I found it I took a strip of bark off the bottom and left the branch on the tree for another month for the exposed wood to dry and brown, that gave me the belly colouring without the worry of trying to get an even stain on green wood.
When it was browned properly I cut the branch and stripped it. I put it away for 2 weeks to let the green surface dry a little.
Then using a Tiger Snake I've had in a bottle of metho since 1969 as a reference I carved the head and then drew the head scales, mouth etc in pencil and carved those.

I bought three 4lt tins of Danish, cut a length of 90mm pipe, capped one end so that I could stand the stick in the pipe then fill it with the Danish oil, cap the top and left it soaking in it for 2 weeks so the oil could really penetrate.
A rub down then a month to dry.

Then the finger killer, carving all those scales into wood that was hard as rock.

Using the small hand carving chisels I'd work until my fingertips got too sore, then give it a rub down/rub off with Danish and stash it in a cupboard for a few weeks then repeat.

Sounds like a lot of pissing about for a walking stick but I like making things.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 31 Oct 2018, 8:44 pm

Hey DJ...
Mate first up, if its a stock blank it should be seasoned, so if you keep it in as relatively 'atmospheric stable' place you can it will (should) be fine :thumbsup: (that means dont keep it under the couch or bed in a house/room that is thermostatically temperature controlled with refrigerated Air Cond...!!)

If you want to protect it as you say, id put any relatively thick oil on the timber...(put the stock out in the sunshine for half hr then pool oil over it--let the oil soak in for 15 mins, adding more to dryer sections, then put in shade for 10 mins to cool down & wipe off excess, then shove it in an old pillow cotton pillow case in the back of the wardrobe :thumbsup: ).

You dont want something that will penetrate too deep, nor do you want something thst will stop any moisture vapour from entering/leaving the timber (so any natural oil or wax should be fine-any plant based/vegetable cooking oil even)-so what ever you do DONT put it in a plastic bag--think of timber like fresh killed meat--it needs to breathe not sweat :thumbsup:

May be go with what Gaz says & do danish...if you go linseed make sure its "RARE BOILED" or your pee pee will sting bad when the stock turns black... :lol:

Keep it out of direct UV light (if you store it on the window sill bigrich may break the glass & steal it....:lol: )

Overall, if you've already got some product on there & dont keep it in plastic or on the dashboard it will be fine...!!! :clap:
Dark room, no air cond, bewdy newk... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Oct 2018, 10:16 pm

Stix wrote:
If you want to protect it as you say, id put any relatively thick oil on the timber...(put the stock out in the sunshine for half hr then pool oil over it--let the oil soak in for 15 mins, adding more to dryer sections, then put in shade for 10 mins to cool down & wipe off excess, then shove it in an old pillow cotton pillow case in the back of the wardrobe :thumbsup: ):

Yeah thanks Stix,,,,,,,,,,,, will do,,, and put it in my gun safe.

But Mate,,,,,,,,,, you speak of sunshine,,,,,,,,
I wouldn't ave thought you'd know what that was,,,,,,,,,,, seeing as you live in SA,,

:shock: :shock: ,,,,,,,,, :lol: :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stix » 31 Oct 2018, 10:33 pm

Yes mate...SA :thumbsup:
I take it you've not been here if you think we dont get any sun...??

.im not in Melbourne...!!! :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Gunsmithing