Red Dot Reflex Pistol Sights

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Red Dot Reflex Pistol Sights

Post by Boo » 31 Oct 2018, 8:05 am

Started looking for one for the new Ruger Mk IV, what a strange situation where there are $20 Ebay sights and similar looking name sights for $100's. It just does not make sense that from all reports there are working sights within such a wide price range, I'm suspecting that based on cost ex factory the price range should be more like $20 to $100. Anyway the Hawke sight I was interested in was around $400 but after being mucked around by the dealer (what is it with some people who work in gun shops?) I decided that seeing it would be my first reflex sight it might be an idea to start off with a cheapy just to see what suited. That's where things are at the moment, a low mount semi open type seems to be a good starting point. To be continued.............
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Red Dot Reflex Pistol Sights

Post by 1Fatman » 31 Oct 2018, 8:17 am

A lot of the ones on EBay are cheap Chinese knockoffs and a lot of time time will crap themselves pretty quick and then you have a hard time getting warranty.
Lurking somewhere in your computer......... https://ozgunlobby.com
1Fatman
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Boo » 01 Nov 2018, 7:34 am

Have ordered two ebay specials for a total of ~$50, they look the same but with a couple of small detail differences, pics when they arrive. Going by US tests these sorts of Chinese sights can be damn good with the occasional dud. Parallex error is important so that will be checked but I was surprised to see in a US test of some quite expensive sights that they were not parallex error free, one was quite bad. The other thing is the MOA, the size of the dot at a certain distance. The sights I have ordered offer several different sight pictures other than a dot which according to some users can be hard to pick up in bright sunlight. It's all a bit of a suck and see at present so the cheapy sights are ideal for that. More to come............
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Terrence » 01 Nov 2018, 8:23 am

eBay links please
Terrence
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Chinballs » 02 Nov 2018, 2:37 pm

I had a Trijicon RMR fitted to a Suarez milled slide on my Tacticool Operat8r Mall Ninja Glock 19 with extended barrel. I am too used to open sights and found getting used to an optic quite hard without a fair bit of practice.

The RMR I had was an RMR07 from memory. Had a big amber dot and required no batteries. The only issue I had with it was that it would wash out when you were inside a darker area and aiming out into a well lit area. The sight itself is built like a tank and you can use it to rack the slide against a hard object. You know, just in case you are shot in one arm and need to do a quick press check.

Another good sight to look at is the Leupold Delta Point.

The cheap s**t on eBay will fall apart pretty quickly, especially if it is mounted directly to the slide. Optics are one of those things where you really do get what you pay for in the vast majority of cases.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Boo » 03 Nov 2018, 8:19 am

The good thing with a Ruger Mark is that it has a receiver and bolt, no slide, one of the main reasons why they are now my .22 of choice for better or worse and long may ............. :) Basically there is not much to a reflex red dot sight, a shrouded LED projecting onto a lens mounted in a housing, Ebay cheapie or $1,000 name job.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers