Ss barrel or cromoloy which is better

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Ss barrel or cromoloy which is better

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 11 Nov 2018, 12:27 pm

I am get a rifle rebarreled, I was all set to ferry a cromoloy blued barrel as I don't like the ss look (want it black) but I was reading somewhere they said ss barrels are more accurate. Is that true (I could ask the gunsmith but he's not open today). If SS is more accurate, I could get it cerakoted in black I suppose?

Its gonna be a target rifle, with intention for it to destroy a lot of paper in its lifetime.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Re: Ss barrel or cromoloy which is better

Post by No1_49er » 11 Nov 2018, 12:32 pm

Check out the likes of Lilja, Bartlein, etc, etc. I think you'll find that most of them are stainless, which by all accounts is easier to cut thread, and chamber, (machine) when fitting to a rifle.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Nov 2018, 2:24 pm

You won't be at a disadvantage with cromoly but like 49er said the stainless is easier for your smith to chamber and thread.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 11 Nov 2018, 4:35 pm

I have just googled chromoly barrels and all you need to know is there.bottom line stainless is more accurate and costs more.Chromoly is lighter and rigid
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 11 Nov 2018, 4:43 pm

Cool, I wan't accurate. So SS it is. Thanks love this forum
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 11 Nov 2018, 5:33 pm

No1_49er wrote:Check out the likes of Lilja, Bartlein, etc, etc. I think you'll find that most of them are stainless, which by all accounts is easier to cut thread, and chamber, (machine) when fitting to a rifle.

this is totally correct and why all comp rifles are SS
the barrel life of CM is apparently a bit longer but the SS is so much easier to clean as it dont have pores like the CM
also most manufacturers hand lap SS but only if you ask for in CM for a bit more canga
I myself buy barrels from the US after a couple of AU barrels I had fitted were not what I call up to scratch IMHO
I would not get a barrel fitted if it had not been hand lapped or air gauged correctly
I also like to use my own reamers unless the smith has a reamer that I like the numbers on, tight necks and no saami spec,
you dont want a factory chamber on a custom :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 28 Nov 2018, 8:50 am

here's what Gail Mcmillan had to say about stainless versus chrome molly :drinks:

Posted: 01-14-2000 01:46 PM
Stainless barrel material is more machineble than Chromemoly. You can hold tighter tolerances and better surface finishes therefore all match barrels
are made of S/S so they are more accurate!
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing